PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Compedium's item level's.

The J Pizzel
2007-04-03, 07:02 PM
So, one of my favorite things about the Magic Item Compendium (MIC, I guess) is that next to every item is has a number in parenthesis that shows about what level the character should be before obtaining this. I friggin love that since I am a very busy DM and don't have a lot of time to plan out equipment and such. This being said...

Does anyone know of a way to implement this to the magic items in the DMG and the SRD? I thought about just matching the price of, oh let's say, a ring of protection +1 and then finding something of equal price in the MIC and saying that's the character level of the item. But doesn't body slot play a major role in the price of items. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Aximili
2007-04-03, 08:32 PM
But doesn't body slot play a major role in the price of items. Can anyone give me some advice on this?
Only if it does use up a slot (then it's price it's doubled, which means you should halve it in your considerations).

If it does use up a slot, it doesn't matter which one, the price is the same.

Jasdoif
2007-04-03, 08:35 PM
If it does use up a slot, it doesn't matter which one, the price is the same.There are body slot affinities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#bodySlotAffinities) to consider as well, if the item don't mesh with the slot then the price is 50% higher.

Rigeld2
2007-04-03, 08:35 PM
If it does use up a slot, it doesn't matter which one, the price is the same.
Not quite.

Wondrous items that don’t match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than wondrous items that match the affinity.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#bodySlotAffinities

Jack Mann
2007-04-04, 12:21 AM
It's already implemented. Go to page 269. It has the charts for generating treasure. These charts contain both the items from the Items Compendium and the items from the DMG. They are arranged by item level, starting from 1/2 and going up to 25. Just look for the item you're wondering about. Might take you a minute or two, but you'll find it there. Hopefully, they'll come out with a web enhancement with this information, but until then, you can search it out.

The J Pizzel
2007-04-04, 08:25 AM
I'm ashamed. Yep, it's already there.

jp

ImperiousLeader
2007-04-04, 12:00 PM
The MiC is an awesome book and the only reason I haven't picked it up is that I am not playing enough DnD to justify it. Lots of nice low-level magic items that are pretty useful, and I like that it's got a nice easy chart for upgrading items, so you can add stat-boosting to an item that might otherwise get tossed aside.

Aximili
2007-04-05, 06:17 PM
There are body slot affinities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#bodySlotAffinities) to consider as well, if the item don't mesh with the slot then the price is 50% higher.
Indeed, but I don't know any published magic item that doesn't follow bodyslot afinity.
(But I've never read the MIC)

Amiria
2007-04-05, 06:24 PM
The Cloak of Charisma doesn't follow the Body Slot Affinities. Charisma is a mental stat so it should be mental improvement, not transformation or protection. A charisma item should use the headband/helmet body slot.

Aximili
2007-04-05, 06:38 PM
True, but it doesn't suffer the 50% increase.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-05, 06:51 PM
The Cloak of Charisma doesn't follow the Body Slot Affinities. Charisma is a mental stat so it should be mental improvement, not transformation or protection. A charisma item should use the headband/helmet body slot.

Charisma is also about physical features and force of personality so transformation and the cloak is not such a bad fit as it may seem initially.

My dear Countess, just look at your stunning red robe and how it accentuates your noble features and personal magnetism.

PinkysBrain
2007-04-05, 07:01 PM
Jack Man, high level scrolls and other one shot items can still destroy BBEG encounters and ruin an important part of the game, even though they are well within the wealth limit.

Jasdoif
2007-04-05, 07:03 PM
Indeed, but I don't know any published magic item that doesn't follow bodyslot afinity.
(But I've never read the MIC)Helm of teleporation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#helmofTeleportation) is the example mentioned in the DMG. Compare it with boots of teleportation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofTeleportation).

Aximili
2007-04-05, 07:21 PM
Hm...
Ok, now I do know a published item of an unapropriate slot.

Jack Mann
2007-04-05, 11:15 PM
Jack Man, high level scrolls and other one shot items can still destroy BBEG encounters and ruin an important part of the game, even though they are well within the wealth limit.

And your point? Firstly, such scrolls don't show up in random drops generated by the MIC, which this thread is about. Scrolls stop showing up, for the most part, after level seven, so you never really get up to the high level scrolls, and the ones that do show up after that are generally more defensive in nature than anything else. The only really high level scroll I could find on the tables was a scroll of true resurrection, at item level 16. Second, how is this in response to my post? I only addressed the item levels of DMG items. Are you sure you're not confusing me with JP?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-06, 02:29 AM
Hm...
Ok, now I do know a published item of an unapropriate slot.

Is the price right and does it follow the guidelines used for abilities and slots?
If both those parameters fail chances are that you have found an item of an inappropriate slot.