PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco?

Joe Eskimo
2015-01-26, 11:39 AM
Does tobacco exist in 3.5? If so where can I find it? I'd like to make a character that smokes cigars or at the least a pipe.

CrazyNoob
2015-01-26, 11:43 AM
Arms & Equipment Guide, Page 31.. just gives a cost per unit weight, no real game mechanics.

Chronos
2015-01-26, 02:06 PM
I've never seen tobacco mentioned in any source book, in any edition, and that's never stopped me from including it if I felt it appropriate for a character. You don't need rules for everything.

Lightlawbliss
2015-01-26, 02:35 PM
That is the sort of thing I would have no problem doing DM BS on and coming up with something that would likely be a negligible cost very quickly.

Vhaidara
2015-01-26, 04:31 PM
Inhaled Poison, DC 500, 1d100 Con damage every round.

So, great for warforged and the undead.

Denver
2015-01-26, 04:34 PM
Inhaled Poison, DC 500, 1d100 Con damage every round.

So, great for warforged and the undead.

Seems like a rather high CON damage roll. :P

Banjoman42
2015-01-26, 04:44 PM
BoVD has rules for drugs and such, but not for tobacco. You could have the DM work out the specifics for tobacco.

Jergmo
2015-01-26, 08:12 PM
The only rules I've seen for drug use/addiction I've seen are in the Sanity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm) rules, apart from alcohol usage in Arms & Equipment. Between these two sources the effects of a dependency on tobacco might be puzzled out.

A tobacco addiction can very easily drive you insane. I would know. :smallwink:

Bullet06320
2015-01-26, 08:16 PM
its mentioned in several Forgotten Realms Novels as Pipe Weed, and I believe Ed Greenwood has mentioned it in one of his ramblings, I just cant find the exact source, still looking tho.

JackRackham
2015-01-26, 08:27 PM
If you're going to smoke, be sure to cast Restoration on yourself every couple months.

Wyntonian
2015-01-27, 01:57 AM
3.5 is a rules system. It is not a setting, nor is it a world, nor anything else where you'd find stuff like the existence of certain plants. It assumes the existence of some things, like horses and such, but if there aren't specific rules for it, why would you expect to find tobacco in any rule books?

Templarkommando
2015-01-27, 03:24 AM
I have an NPC right now, that I have carry a pipe and tobacco as part of fleshing him out. I don't have any effects on it, it's just sort of a flavor thing. If you're using a pre-made campaign setting, the odds are that tobacco exists in some shape or form in the campaign world. If it's your campaign world, it's really up to you, and if it's someone else's, who knows?

Coidzor
2015-01-27, 05:50 AM
Well, it is a trade good. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins)

Larkas
2015-01-27, 06:27 AM
You don't need rules for everything.

Quoted for truth. Next thing you know, someone will come looking for the price of oregano and the rules for opening and maintaining a pizzeria in Sigil.

goto124
2015-01-27, 06:54 AM
If you're going to smoke, be sure to cast Restoration on yourself every couple months.

Were you not doing that already?

Coidzor
2015-01-27, 07:29 AM
Quoted for truth. Next thing you know, someone will come looking for the price of oregano and the rules for opening and maintaining a pizzeria in Sigil.

Hey, when life gives you oregano farms instead of dungeons, you still gotta figure out something to do with the loot, after all. :smallamused:

Considering Cinnamon is a trade good, why not oregano? Besides, we already have (bad) business rules somewhere or another (DMG2, was it?), so adapting to Sigil's pecularities wouldn't require too much conversion work.

sideswipe
2015-01-27, 07:39 AM
wow... this whole thread ignored answer no.1 .....

Larkas
2015-01-27, 07:49 AM
Hey, when life gives you oregano farms instead of dungeons, you still gotta figure out something to do with the loot, after all. :smallamused:

Considering Cinnamon is a trade good, why not oregano? Besides, we already have (bad) business rules somewhere or another (DMG2, was it?), so adapting to Sigil's pecularities wouldn't require too much conversion work.

http://replygif.net/i/101.gif

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 07:55 AM
I know it's in arms and equipment guide but has no real effect; though if you were wondering, Unearthed Arcana does have a D&D version of pot.

Milo v3
2015-01-27, 08:07 AM
wow... this whole thread ignored answer no.1 .....

... um... No? :smallconfused:
"Does 3.5e have tobacco?" many have answered yes, with sources, answering both questions.

Chronos
2015-01-27, 11:29 AM
Heck, I had a character once whose backstory included a family-owned tobacco plantation. I said that his starting wealth came from his share of the plantation, and if he ever happened to visit his sister, he'd be able to refill his private stock of high-quality pipeweed (so much better than those floor-sweepings the party's wizard was smoking).

Starbuck_II
2015-01-27, 01:14 PM
Devilweed is closest to D&D tobacco: But really it acts more like crack.
As the side effect is "Creatures under the effects of devilweed count as shaken, acting skittish and easily confused"

Maybe:
Redflower Leaves: although they make you hyper focused " As a move-equivalent action, the user may focus his attention upon a particular creature. If he follows that action with an attack against the creature, he gains a +4 competence bonus on the attack roll. This ability lasts 10 minutes."

Zaq
2015-01-27, 01:35 PM
Devilweed is closest to D&D tobacco: But really it acts more like crack.
As the side effect is "Creatures under the effects of devilweed count as shaken, acting skittish and easily confused"

Maybe:
Redflower Leaves: although they make you hyper focused " As a move-equivalent action, the user may focus his attention upon a particular creature. If he follows that action with an attack against the creature, he gains a +4 competence bonus on the attack roll. This ability lasts 10 minutes."

Where are those Redflower leaves from? The mention of a "move-equivalent action" makes me think they're 3.0, so probably A&EG or Lords of Darkness or something, but they sound interesting.

Allanimal
2015-01-27, 01:38 PM
One of my characters has a magical pipe. If you can get someone to smoke it, the elemental that lives inside will know, understand and speak any language the pipe smoker knows. sharing the pipe squicks sone people out, but I think the concept is cool - nice translator. And sometimes the hoops he has to jump thru to get someone whose language he doesn't speak to smoke the pipe. Fun stuff.

This tangent is merely proof there is tobacco in D&D. :biggrin:

Joe Eskimo
2015-01-27, 01:38 PM
Well, it is a trade good. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins)

5sp for a pound of tobacco. Guess this answers my question.