PDA

View Full Version : Now that Xykon has his crown back. . .

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-03, 07:22 PM
Will his smiley recover it as well? :xykon:

holywhippet
2007-04-03, 08:01 PM
It occurs to me it would be ironic if that crown is actually his phylactory which is where he stores his soul. It would make sense since holding the crown made Miko's detect evil vision show someone as being evil.

Xykon said the crown isn't magical or anything, but he's a freaking moron and could easily have forgotten where he stowed his soul.

SteveMB
2007-04-03, 08:06 PM
It occurs to me it would be ironic if that crown is actually his phylactory which is where he stores his soul.

It's already been established that Redcloak's holy symbol (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0117.html) is his phylactery.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-03, 08:22 PM
Plus the Order would have noticed when he came back, since, in the Giant's campaign world*, liches regenerate directly from their phylacteries.

*The one featured in OotS, not the one featured in the Articles on world creation

MinMax
2007-04-03, 08:45 PM
It occurs to me it would be ironic if that crown is actually his phylactory which is where he stores his soul. It would make sense since holding the crown made Miko's detect evil vision show someone as being evil.

Xykon said the crown isn't magical or anything, but he's a freaking moron and could easily have forgotten where he stowed his soul.

It occurs to me that it is ironic that you called Xykon an idiot for forgetting something that you, yourself, had forgotten. :smallamused:

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-03, 09:20 PM
In fact, has the Xykon smiley EVER have a crown?

Black_Light83
2007-04-03, 09:59 PM
In fact, has the Xykon smiley EVER have a crown?

i don't know, and i was woundering the same thing. i havnt been on the forum for that long tho...:smallfrown:

holywhippet
2007-04-03, 10:09 PM
It occurs to me that it is ironic that you called Xykon an idiot for forgetting something that you, yourself, had forgotten. :smallamused:

Eh, I read that comic ages ago. It still seems odd that evil had "rubbed off" on the crown enough that it makes the bearer show up as evil on a detect evil check.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-03, 10:47 PM
if its with him long enough it should

NeonRonin
2007-04-03, 11:34 PM
if its with him long enough it should

Kinda like if you wear the same gym shirt every day for a year. It's gonna reek long after you take it off- just like the crown reeks. :smalltongue:

Rahdjan
2007-04-03, 11:41 PM
Magic or Plot, take your pick.

Spiky
2007-04-03, 11:54 PM
i don't know, and i was woundering the same thing. i havnt been on the forum for that long tho...:smallfrown:

Considering the new forum with the spiffy smilies postdates Xykon losing the crown, pretty sure it was not once there and now gone. It simply wasn't there ever. Which makes sense since the smilies are just heads. None of them have a hat or anything.

mockingbyrd7
2007-04-04, 01:38 AM

ROFL!!! Cant... breathe! I love these forums!

Considering the new forum with the spiffy smilies postdates Xykon losing the crown, pretty sure it was not once there and now gone. It simply wasn't there ever. Which makes sense since the smilies are just heads. None of them have a hat or anything.

None of the smilies have hats on because none of them wear hats, retard. (Kidding, of course. :smallbiggrin: )

kpenguin
2007-04-04, 01:56 AM

V's smiley has his/her signature headband, so I assume headgear would be appropriate is Xykon keeps that crown long enough.

Rift_Wolf
2007-04-04, 02:05 AM
If it means that much to you, you could draw a crown on.

As for detect evil/phylacteryness, it says in the detect evil spell listing (Can't check word for word was d20srd is down and my books are in my office) that an item worn by a creature of significant evil radiates an evil aura for some time after the creature loses it (Although I think it's measured in days rather than months)

BobTheDog
2007-04-04, 04:15 AM
If it means that much to you, you could draw a crown on.

As for detect evil/phylacteryness, it says in the detect evil spell listing (Can't check word for word was d20srd is down and my books are in my office) that an item worn by a creature of significant evil radiates an evil aura for some time after the creature loses it (Although I think it's measured in days rather than months)

Also, Detect Evil only gives a general response, at first. So Miko saw the evil aura on Roy and presumed he was evil. Had she taken more time at it, Detect Evil's focus would get clearer and she'd know it was the item, not the person. I think.

Dectilon
2007-04-04, 08:36 AM
The size of the smiley doesn't seem to allow for a crown, but what do I know ~~

Om
2007-04-04, 11:24 AM
In fact, has the Xykon smiley EVER have a crown?Nope. Those smiley faces are fairly recent.

kpenguin
2007-04-04, 12:37 PM

Lingering auras only work in locations in which a big evil spell was cast or where an evil creature or magic item was destroyed. From the SRD:

Lingering Aura
An evil aura lingers after its original source dissipates (in the case of a spell) or is destroyed (in the case of a creature or magic item). If detect evil is cast and directed at such a location, the spell indicates an aura strength of dim (even weaker than a faint aura). How long the aura lingers at this dim level depends on its original power:

Also, even the most overpowering aura lasts up to 6 days. And according to comic 198 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0198.html), it was weeks after Xykon's crown was taken by Roy that Miko encountered them.

Its either:
a) a little deviation from the RAW for purpose of plot
or
b) a little hint that Xykon might not be entirely truthful about the crown
or
c) a little hint that Xykon didn't cast detect magic on the crown himself and doesn't know of any magical properties it might have

The Viking
2007-04-04, 01:13 PM
How about this, then?

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/1793/xykonwithcrownsg6.png
Alternative:
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2980/xykonwithcrownrc1.png

Rumpus
2007-04-04, 06:18 PM
Maybe Xykon doesn't have Detect Magic? He only gets, what, 5 1st-level known spells, total? It would seem very much in keeping with his "Rain-lich" brilliance/idiocy act to not take some of the basics...

He's got Magic Missile, do we know of any other 1st level spells on his list? Has anyone compiled a Xykon spell list?

Ralfarius
2007-04-04, 08:27 PM
The crown makes him look really badass. I, for one, do not think it requires any other special properties.

WarriorTribble
2007-04-04, 09:42 PM
Shrunk and flipped The Viking's image. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/PimpedXykon.png

kpenguin
2007-04-05, 02:29 AM
Maybe Xykon doesn't have Detect Magic? He only gets, what, 5 1st-level known spells, total? It would seem very much in keeping with his "Rain-lich" brilliance/idiocy act to not take some of the basics...

He's got Magic Missile, do we know of any other 1st level spells on his list? Has anyone compiled a Xykon spell list?

That would be hilarious.

:redcloak: Sir, could you cast detect magic to check for traps?
:xykon: Uh... why don't you do it?
:redcloak: I forgot to prepare it this morning. Go ahead and cast it, sir
:xykon: The thing is... I never learned detect magic
:redcloak: WHAT?!
:xykon: Why have detect magic when you can get a snazzy dancing lights? *casts dancing lights* See? Totally bad ass.
:redcloak: *sighs*

Bogardan_Mage
2007-04-05, 04:48 AM
Also, even the most overpowering aura lasts up to 6 days. And according to comic 198 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0198.html), it was weeks after Xykon's crown was taken by Roy that Miko encountered them.

Its either:
a) a little deviation from the RAW for purpose of plot
or
b) a little hint that Xykon might not be entirely truthful about the crown
or
c) a little hint that Xykon didn't cast detect magic on the crown himself and doesn't know of any magical properties it might have
Or:
d) the 198 thing was a semi-fourth-wall-breaking joke and was not intended to be canon.

Threeshades
2007-04-05, 06:21 AM
Let's test it.

:roy: : I can't believe this entire stupid Blood Oath started over the same magic crown I've been wearing around my neck for months.

:xykon: : Magic? This crown's not magic.

:roy: : What? Then... why steal it? Why kill Master Fyron and his son for it?

:xykon: : Well, because it looks cool, obviously. Here, check it out:

:xykon: Badass.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/PimpedXykon.png : REALLY badass.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/PimpedXykon.png : Am I right or am I right?

:roy: : Oh my GODS, I hate you so much.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/PimpedXykon.png : Geez, calm down! What's it with you anyway?

Begle1
2007-04-05, 10:23 AM
You guys know that a lich can have more than one phylactery?

It's spoony, but the rules allow it... Or at least they don't state otherwise.

Brawl
2007-04-05, 01:28 PM
Maybe Xykon stores his memory in crown? ;)

Assassinfox
2007-04-05, 01:57 PM
You guys know that a lich can have more than one phylactery?

It's spoony, but the rules allow it... Or at least they don't state otherwise.

No, a Lich can't have more than one phylactery. As stated in the other thread, if you try to do that, a little kid with a lightning scar on his head hunts you down and tries to kill you.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-05, 04:13 PM
Harry Potter? Thog could kill him.

Drider
2007-04-05, 06:23 PM
Harry Potter? Thog could kill him.

He's a 1-5 lvl sorceror, with no magic items, who was'nt prepared for combat...Thog had a +3 greataxe and a surprise round...it was FAR from a fight, you'd expect the head wizardy guy to have helped tho:smallbiggrin:

OOTS_Rules.
2007-04-05, 06:59 PM
Yeah, to kill Harry.

Pepz
2007-04-05, 07:10 PM
Thog would own Harry Potter so badly, Thog would have to pay taxes for his property :P But then again, Harry Potter does seem to overcome anything just because he wants it to be that way :P o well, one axeswing and that little pest is gone with the wind ;)

on topic though, I like the crowns ;) looks pretty badass ;)