PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon - 8 schools of magic

Scarey Nerd
2015-01-26, 01:20 PM
I'm trying to create a dungeon/lair/thing with a central theme of the 8 schools of magic. These are the ideas I have so far:

Abjuration: Maybe a ward that needs loads of spells thrown at it, therefore weakening the mages?
Conjuration: Deck of tarot cards, the drawn card summons the creature(s) upon it
Divination: Something that shows you your deepest, most honest desire
Enchantment: Charms players to attack one another
Evocation: Statues that shoot spells/living spells?
Illusion: Illusion to make it seem you’ve reached the end?
Necromancy: Zombies/skeletons?
Transmutation: ???

I'm completely stumped for transmutation, and would appreciate ideas on the other schools too.

Tarrab
2015-01-26, 01:24 PM
I'm trying to create a dungeon/lair/thing with a central theme of the 8 schools of magic. These are the ideas I have so far:

Abjuration: Maybe a ward that needs loads of spells thrown at it, therefore weakening the mages?
Conjuration: Deck of tarot cards, the drawn card summons the creature(s) upon it
Divination: Something that shows you your deepest, most honest desire
Enchantment: Charms players to attack one another
Evocation: Statues that shoot spells/living spells?
Illusion: Illusion to make it seem you’ve reached the end?
Necromancy: Zombies/skeletons?
Transmutation: ???

I'm completely stumped for transmutation, and would appreciate ideas on the other schools too.

Evocation: Too obvious, how bout elemental enemies for specific damage traps, including force elementals!
Illusion: come on, you can do an illusion dungeon much trickier and deceiving than just "the end of the place" ;)
Necromancy: how bout while they are here, the players become undead themselves! (or think they are)
Transmutation: Both enemies and players randomely becom a different creature every 1d4/1d8 rounds. So do some objects. Maybe a puzzle will require them to become a specific form to keep advancing?

broli
2015-01-26, 01:46 PM
transmutation: pools of water that transform inanimate objects. players need to dip coins or rocks to get parts of a bigger object, that they need to assemble into a "key" (extra points for using props like lego so they can actually build)

necromancy: add AOE that negates hp regen, pitch black, really cold, and scare the bajesus out of them (take ideas from a haunted house movie, book)

ilusion: a real, material maze, with ilusions covering the wrong way (play on the players metagaming. an ilusion would only cover the right way!!)

evocation: living spells. mindless spells roaming arround that dash the players and explode when touching, doing dmg of a proper lvl spell for your party

enchantment. play with they minds. prepare beforehand, slips of paper. one for each player. have only 1 or 2 charmed with instructions on how to betray the party. break them as a group!!!! (similar to that card game that has 1 traitor and they have to acuse each other)

divination: a house of mirrors. each shows a moment, a glimpse of past, future, present. be vague and let them burn they brains. show them falling for 1 second, in a place with walls similar to the ones they have at a next school dungeon, and have them walk step by step beeing afraid of falling. show them covered in blood in an instant, and let that be a monster's blood. ect. between all the useless prophecys, show them one that will let them solve a conventional puzzle to get out (they need to sort all visions to see which one is the one to lead them out)

conjuration: summon monster. you have to have at least one room with an initiative roll!

abjuration: yours is not a bad idea, but let the non casters be able to disable some of the wards.

Heartspan
2015-01-27, 11:21 AM
Transmutation- the floor turns to jello.

Draken
2015-01-27, 12:24 PM
Transmutation - import some old 2nd edition monsters. The floors are creatures. The walls are creatures. The ceilings are creatures. The doors are creatures. Windows are creatures. Furniture is creatures. Creatures are actually transmuted objects and revert to that upon death.

Easy_Lee
2015-01-27, 01:42 PM
I'm more concerned with why the place exists. My only thought is that it originally was a grand wizard compound / tower divided by schools of magic. At some point, there was a civil war between the branches, each setting up their own ward with school-specific traps to kill members of the other schools for trespassing. Then all the wizards died because portal to hell in the basement.

Krazyskooter
2015-01-27, 01:56 PM
Put a chasm that none of the players can jump across. In the corner of one side put an orb. This orb transforms the character who touches it into a spider. The spider walks along the wall to the other side and touches an identical orb that transforms him/her back. The player pulls a lever that extends a bridge for the rest of the party to cross.

hawklost
2015-01-27, 02:07 PM
If I am remembering my Pathfinder game campaigns correctly, you might want to look at the campaign Rise of the Runelords. I believe there was a building in it that represented 7 of the Runelords (who each had a different college of Magic) and had there own traps/challenges in it.

Unfortunately, it is 6 books long and I honestly cannot remember in which book we played that had this location, just that there was interesting puzzle for each of the runelords

Heartspan
2015-01-28, 08:08 AM
Portal to hell in the basement. Thats usually what kills off the wizards, isn't it?

Scarey Nerd
2015-01-31, 07:30 AM
I'm more concerned with why the place exists. My only thought is that it originally was a grand wizard compound / tower divided by schools of magic. At some point, there was a civil war between the branches, each setting up their own ward with school-specific traps to kill members of the other schools for trespassing. Then all the wizards died because portal to hell in the basement.

Basically, there was an immensely powerful group of beings that constrained the raw power of magic into the actual schools of magic - the dungeon is a set of wards made by him to protect an object of great power.

I'll have to check out Rise of the Runelords, I'm always up for reading through material.

Loving these suggestions - I know mine were a little lackluster, but that's because I was writing them originally at about 3am. Keep them coming!

Slipperychicken
2015-01-31, 08:51 PM
Transmutation: The PCs are shrunk down to mouse-size, and are confronted by normal mook enemies. Problem is, those mooks are basically titans compared to the PCs' shrunk form, and are really tough as a result. Also the PCs can do shadow of the colossus/god of war shenanigans, using the DMG rules for climbing a "huge" enemy and attacking it with advantage.

Illusion: Think illusions covering traps, illusory traps hidden by mundane means, and mixed with real traps too. Also illusory monsters mixed with real ones. And illusory things covering up real ones (so the PCs detect an illusion, try to ignore it, and get hit with a real trap). Or a real pit trap, with an illusory wall on the other side covering with a real one. Combining this kind of stuff with monsters could be really rough.

Conjuration: Portals, teleportation, summoning. All of that can really screw with people.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-02-01, 01:08 AM
Transmutation; Why not lift from the Gnome King's Trasure Room (Return to Oz).

Not a great movie, but a clever trap/puzzle concept.