PDA

View Full Version : Serious DM Block.

GoblinGilmartin
2015-01-26, 05:53 PM
I've had a pretty serious case of DMs block for a long time. I'll go around really wanting to play an RPG, and I'll have a lot of big ideas, but then when I sit down to plan/play, I end up continuously tripping over the minutia. "How do the PCs know each other? Where are they starting? Why are they doing this quest? Will they be able to figure out this puzzle?" It gets so bad that I start second guessing myself into nonaction, and it feels like I'm up against a wall.

Today, in a few hours, I'm starting a new group. two new players who have never gamed together, and my best friend, who's been playing as long as I've been running (about 6 years). I'm having trouble focusing or getting anything prepared. I have a few full on adventure ideas, but nothing on a smaller, single session scale...not sure what to do...

Kid Jake
2015-01-26, 06:05 PM
Have a thief steal something of theirs, lead them on a merry chase and then BOOM right into a pick pocket ring that also coincidentally stole something that leads into your larger plot. After they're done wiping street urchin off their boots they'll be in a position for you to lead them on further.

GoblinGilmartin
2015-01-26, 06:12 PM
Have a thief steal something of theirs, lead them on a merry chase and then BOOM right into a pick pocket ring that also coincidentally stole something that leads into your larger plot. After they're done wiping street urchin off their boots they'll be in a position for you to lead them on further.

:smalleek: That...actually applies better than you think. I was thinking "Cultists steal holy relic and PCs have to get it back", but I wasn't sure how to give them the job...

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-26, 06:18 PM
Have your best friend help you out here. Instead of you telling them how they know each other, they know there's a church. Have him/her go first and say how his character is connected to it. Hopefully, their suggestions will give you some ideas to work off of. Ask them if they have any ideas of what to do first, so you can give them a gentle introduction. They could also be given the opportunity to say that there is an NPC connected to the church that they know, and run some basic interactions regarding them. They could also attend a ritual that might be spied upon (awareness) and have some visitors (sense motive). Even if these events are unconnected to the plot, something small might work and might nudge them a bit to give you ideas for the adventure or a fun little romp. New players sometimes need a nudge or a push in the right direction...And sometimes they come up with the craziest ideas that just might work, so why not mine them for ideas?

Good luck!

Jay R
2015-01-27, 12:50 PM
You can foist the problem on the players. "OK, I've seen everybody's character sheets. As soon as you work out how you all know each other and why you're together, we can start the game."

But the easiest way to get a party that aren't acquainted to start working together is for them to hear a woman scream.

draken50
2015-01-27, 03:57 PM
Yeah I like the characters already knowing each other thing.

I've also done the, figure out a reason your character wants to go to this city... doesn't have to be a big deal just travel is dangerous so company is good.

I've also done the open call for adventures. Guy had a book stolen created an ad for "adventures/private investigators" to get it back.