PDA

View Full Version : What are some refluffs for the spirit barbarians totems?

Rfkannen
2015-01-26, 09:13 PM
The given ones are pretty cool, but I think you could take them in diffrent directions. For example I was thinking of a desert barbarian with bear=armidillo, wolf=hyena, and eagle=vulture (not the best matches but still, what would you use) What other animals do you think fit pretty well with them? Don't even have to be the same kind of animal, I could see eagle being a flying squirel.

One Tin Soldier
2015-01-27, 11:11 AM
I have a Totem Barbarian who's an Avian, so we wanted to refluff them as bird-themed. Bear (which is her option) became Axe Beak and Wolf became Shrike. Eagle, of course, remained exactly where it was.

Rfkannen
2015-01-27, 07:14 PM
I have a Totem Barbarian who's an Avian, so we wanted to refluff them as bird-themed. Bear (which is her option) became Axe Beak and Wolf became Shrike. Eagle, of course, remained exactly where it was.

Oh cool, avian as in race, or asi n just avian themed?

Naanomi
2015-01-27, 08:12 PM
I like re fluffing them as prominent ancestors... 'Nraut the Strong' = Bear; 'Chaldas the Swift' = Eagle; 'Prosh the Wise' = Wolf.... Particularly for Dwarven Barbarians

Jessums
2015-01-27, 08:20 PM
It's not a refluff, but a friend and I worked out a shark totem.
It has the pack hunting of the wolf for lvl 3, blindsight 30ft and a swim speed for 6th, and blood frenzy for 14th.

Human Paragon 3
2015-01-27, 10:29 PM
I'm having a similar conundrum. I'm currently playing a Circus Strongman dwarf with the barbarian class, and the Bear abilities are perfect. However, the hippy dippy speaking with animals doesn't really fit, nor does the spiritual flavor. I'd love to hear some re-theme ideas (as well as replacement abilities for the beast sense and speak with animal rituals).

Naanomi
2015-01-27, 10:41 PM
I'm having a similar conundrum. I'm currently playing a Circus Strongman dwarf with the barbarian class, and the Bear abilities are perfect. However, the hippy dippy speaking with animals doesn't really fit, nor does the spiritual flavor. I'd love to hear some re-theme ideas (as well as replacement abilities for the beast sense and speak with animal rituals).
I dunno about the talk with animals bit; but can you be a Drunken Strongman? Getting so drunk that you are stronger/tougher/have weird drunken insights?

Human Paragon 3
2015-01-27, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I don't really need fluff explanations for why I am so strong and tough. I'm a strongman. It just follows. It's only the spiritual things from the totem that I need help working in.

Not to distract from the OP's similar but distinct issue.

8d6Gamer
2017-03-19, 03:02 PM
Not looking for refluffs.

A barbarian from the swamp. Looking for potential totems. I have already considered crocodiles and anacondas. need suggestion for how they would work as totem spirits.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-19, 03:18 PM
The given ones are pretty cool, but I think you could take them in diffrent directions. For example I was thinking of a desert barbarian with bear=armidillo, wolf=hyena, and eagle=vulture (not the best matches but still, what would you use) What other animals do you think fit pretty well with them? Don't even have to be the same kind of animal, I could see eagle being a flying squirel.

I like the desert idea, but armadillos and hyenas are not only not native to the same place (and a bit iconic of their respective areas), but armadillos are...Well, just so darn cute and small when compared to a bear. Elephant or rhino I think make a bit more sense.

I'd probably ban the vulture on the basis that I would legitimately worry about my players attempting to spray their enemies with bodily fluids. Especially for non-human barbarians. But then again, the bearded vulture (http://mentalfloss.com/article/58253/11-facts-about-bone-eating-bearded-vulture) is a fabulous creature that eats bones and paints itself with the blood of its prey. If anything is suited to be a barbarian totem, it is that thing.

I like re fluffing them as prominent ancestors... 'Nraut the Strong' = Bear; 'Chaldas the Swift' = Eagle; 'Prosh the Wise' = Wolf.... Particularly for Dwarven Barbarians

That's a pretty nifty idea. Sure would be a shame were someone to steal it...Yoink!

RagingBluMunky
2017-03-19, 11:48 PM
A lot of the ideas I've had have been said here already, and I agree wholeheartedly with those who stated that all of the totem animals should come from the same biome.

But since I can't quite come up with full sets, here are a number of the other ideas I've had. Feel free to organize and add to these as you see fit.

Bear=ox, bison, buffalo, gorilla, wolverine, tiger,
Wolf=lion, jackal, seal, sea lion, dolphin, chimpanzee, baboon, orca
Eagle=bat, crow, kangaroo, marlin, cheetah?,

TundraBuccaneer
2017-03-20, 03:26 AM
I still want to make a elf barb that explains its abilities as enhancement magic that requires concentration, totem would be the best since it gets some spells and the totems are pretty magical:smallbiggrin:

Quoxis
2017-03-20, 05:28 AM

THAT is awesome fluff and will definitely be stolen.

Also, as the scag tells, there are tribes worshipping "hybrid totems" like the flying pony (eagle/elk), the thunderbeast or whatever, so you might as well combine totems into one:
Maybe take bear at first, then eagle and eagle again and fuse it into the "dragon" totem with keen eyes, flying and a thick scaly hide, or combine wolf/tiger and elk to a cheetah, or even make monsters your totem (why would it be restricted to animals of the real world?). I'm waiting to see a frogemoth barbarian.

Chaosmancer
2017-03-20, 07:42 AM
I made a Bear/Eagle Barbarian for a convention and called him an Owlbear Totem.

Could probably get away with Griffon for an Eagle/Wolf style.

Though, I also wanted to reflavor Elk as a version of Wolf for a character. That particular character would be a Knight, and his totem his is family's heraldry, connecting back to a hunt where they saved their lord from a pack of spirit wolves. I was tying the mysticism into a connection with that pack. (It isn't perfect but it is a "still in development" character idea). But if the abilities are close enough I don't see a reason you couldn't swap between. Take bear's intimidation for a wolf barbarian, pretty sure a wolf howl is darn scary, especially if you are next to the person doing it.

Aurochs could be a good bear substitute for Half-orcs, considering they are sacred to orcs.