PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dragging Enemies Closer

HaikenEdge
2015-01-27, 12:51 AM
Aside from playing a Roper, or a grappling build, are there any ways to drag enemies closer to a character? I'm trying to conceptualize a AoO control-type character who sucks in enemies like a black hole, but I can't seem to find a way to drag enemies in to take advantage of something like Defensive Sweep if they start inside my reach but not adjacent to me.

XionUnborn01
2015-01-27, 01:02 AM
Aside from playing a Roper, or a grappling build, are there any ways to drag enemies closer to a character? I'm trying to conceptualize a AoO control-type character who sucks in enemies like a black hole, but I can't seem to find a way to drag enemies in to take advantage of something like Defensive Sweep if they start inside my reach but not adjacent to me.

Not sure how helpful it is, but the BoED has rules for some polearms and a lasso for grabbing someone at range. I'm not exactly sure if you can pull them to you but It's a start maybe.

Karl Aegis
2015-01-27, 01:02 AM
Some of the Iron Chef Challenge Geomancer builds used the Whirling Blade spell and Improved Grab with a Claw attack to drag people to them from hundreds of feet away. They may have also been a Colossal dragon and smashed the guy flying at them with Attacks of Opportunity.

A_S
2015-01-27, 01:48 AM
Some of the Iron Chef Challenge Geomancer builds used the Whirling Blade spell and Improved Grab with a Claw attack to drag people to them from hundreds of feet away. They may have also been a Colossal dragon and smashed the guy flying at them with Attacks of Opportunity.
...I am legitimately surprised anybody remembers that build. I didn't even score well with it :smallredface: .

Anyway, that's what I came to suggest. If you can't get your hands on Improved Grab (going deep into Geomancer is a pretty big investment), the Scorpion's Grasp feat from Sandstorm will work.

LooseCannoneer
2015-01-27, 02:04 AM
If you're looking for stupid ridiculous, might I recommend not pulling them, but pushing them with liberal applications of Explosive Spell?

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 10:13 AM
If you're looking for stupid ridiculous, might I recommend not pulling them, but pushing them with liberal applications of Explosive Spell?

Locate City Bomb, anyone?

EyethatBinds
2015-01-27, 11:15 AM
What's wrong with toning down the Umbral Blot's (Epic Level Handbook) CR and using a variant of that?

Zaq
2015-01-27, 01:14 PM
The utterance Eldritch Attraction does exactly this. The downside is that it's a level 5 LEM utterance, meaning you need at least 14 levels in Truenamer to pull it off. Probably not what you were looking for.

Psyren
2015-01-27, 02:09 PM
Backport PF's "drag" maneuver.