PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Build

Hario
2007-04-03, 08:27 PM
Our Eberron campaign has changed and decided to reroll characters for everyone, because there was tuns of confliction. So the party is going to consist, of a Warforged Juggernaut, a mystic thurge, wizard/druid (yes I told him it wasn't powerful :/) a bard/ dread pirate, rogue/ranger (archer build), an npc fighter/artificer, and since they felt they were low on the melee combat (minus warforged) I decided to make a Cleric, I rolled really low first time (+1 altoghther) so I got a reroll, and rolled 2 18s,2 17s, a 15, and a 12, yes I don't believe it either... So I figured go melee cleric, my current build at level 10 is cleric 7/ Deadgrim 3 yes I lost a caster level from dead grim, but I plan on going Hierophant at level 13, I plan on using a Great Scimitar 1d12 18-20 x2, any better suggestions like domains and feats I could take to be a good buff/melee cleric, and other spells than the standards like righteous might and divine favor.

Kultrum
2007-04-03, 08:43 PM
strength domain. who doesn't love a bonus to strength equal to cleric levels

greenknight
2007-04-03, 08:45 PM
Our Eberron campaign has changed and decided to reroll characters for everyone, because there was tuns of confliction. So the party is going to consist, of a Warforged Juggernaut, a mystic thurge, wizard/druid (yes I told him it wasn't powerful :/) a bard/ dread pirate, rogue/ranger (archer build), an npc fighter/artificer, and since they felt they were low on the melee combat (minus warforged) I decided to make a Cleric, I rolled really low first time (+1 altoghther) so I got a reroll, and rolled 2 18s,2 17s, a 15, and a 12, yes I don't believe it either... So I figured go melee cleric, my current build at level 10 is cleric 7/ Deadgrim 3 yes I lost a caster level from dead grim, but I plan on going Hierophant at level 13, I plan on using a Great Scimitar 1d12 18-20 x2, any better suggestions like domains and feats I could take to be a good buff/melee cleric, and other spells than the standards like righteous might and divine favor.

I posted a CZilla build here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2244519&postcount=389). That's single class, and Core Only. Using the splatbooks, you could probably improve on that a lot. Here's some basic guidelines:

The Magic, Trickery and Travel Domains are very powerful. Try to take Magic and Trickery if you can.

Your spells are nearly always going to be more powerful than physical combat, so select them carefully. Try to avoid spells which simply cause hitpoint damage, although having a few damage spells doesn't hurt.

Neutral aligned Clerics which Rebuke Undead are probably the most powerful and versatile form of Cleric.

In two more levels, pay to get someone to Polymorph any Object you into a Barbed Devil. This means you can mostly ignore your physical stats, and Intelligence isn't quite so important either.

Power Attack is about the only physical combat feat which will be all that useful to you. Using a Composite Longbow can help too, but it takes up a lot of Feats to be effective, which could be better used on something else.

excrtd
2007-04-03, 08:48 PM
The time domain from the spell compendium is a fantastic one as well.

Person_Man
2007-04-04, 02:12 PM
My favorite domains are:

Time: Improved Initiative, True Strike, Haste, Contingency, Time Stop.

Travel: Very useful Freedom of Movement power, Longstrider, Fly, Dimension Door, Teleport.

Slime: Grease, Acid Arrow, Black Tentacles, Rock to Mud.

Trickery: Skills, Disguise Self, Invisibility, Mislead, Polymorph any Object, Time Stop.

Illusion: +1 CL for Illusion spells, Displacement, Phantasmal Killer, Mislead, Weird.

As far as PrC go, anything that grants full caster levels is good. I'm particularly a far of Church Inquisitor, Radiant Servant of Pelor, Morninglord of Lathander, and most of the classes from the Comp Divine Web Supplement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a).

If you just want raw damage, try Cleric 5/Pyrokineticist 1/Maiden of Pain 1/full caster whatever PrC X.

Maiden of Pain (from Player's Guide to Faerun) has the Lasher ability, which allows her to deliver touch attack spells through her whip, giving her a 15' range on touch attacks and dealing normal damage plus the spell effects if they hit.

The combo is: Power Attack two handed + Fire Lash (counts as a whip, only needs touch attacks) + Divine Power spell (grants full BAB) + touch attack spell (Poison, Harm, Bestow Curse, etc) + Knock-Down feat (extra Trip attack + follow up attack) = utter death to pretty much anyone.

A normal Pyro build just deals massive fire damage and often lacks a few points of BAB. This build has the benefit of full BAB and other nifty buffs from Cleric spells, and the ability to deal massive damage plus a spell, which often also require a Save, or has no Save at all. So even if you hit something with a ton of hit points, immunity to fire, or whatever, you still have a chance to kill or otherwise screw it with your spell.

Thrawn183
2007-04-04, 10:21 PM
Can I just say that that build is a thing of true beauty?

I'm like, actually moved by it.

<3

Hario
2007-04-04, 10:35 PM
As far as now I'm looking like I'm gonna go cleric 7/ deadgrim 5/ fist of raziel 8, BAB 18, Caster Level 18, tuns of smites and damage to evil and undead, Probably leaning towards domains of travel and magic, basically dimension door into battle and work my way out of it, I'll probably righteous might and be doing a heck of alot of damage. If undead come around I'll throw up an antimagic field, and they will all drop. I plan at some point going into the heart of Karnath, any suggestions on feats? Power attack is a must, maybe cleave, probably extend and persistant.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-04, 11:28 PM
strength domain. who doesn't love a bonus to strength equal to cleric levels

As he will only have 7 levels of cleric, it will be completely negated by casting divine power.

Hario
2007-04-04, 11:41 PM
As he will only have 7 levels of cleric, it will be completely negated by casting divine power.
Domain powers like that go up when your cleric level goes up, the whole build over 20 levels gives me 18 'cleric levels' so that's a +9, I could do better, with a domain though, like the fury domain from the eberron campaign setting allows me to go into rage 1/day as a free action, lasting 1 round/CL which ain't bad, and does probably just as much as that.

Toliudar
2007-04-04, 11:53 PM
I think you might be confusing class level with caster level. As I understand it, even if your caster level goes up with a prestige class, your class level doesn't. A druid 10/prestige class 5 might cast spells like a 15th level druid, but is still considered a 10th level character for any class abilities. Same with the Strength domain.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-04, 11:58 PM
Unless the PrC he's looking at count as a cleric for the purpose of domains, etc.

Person_Man
2007-04-05, 09:31 AM
Domain powers like that go up when your cleric level goes up, the whole build over 20 levels gives me 18 'cleric levels' so that's a +9, I could do better, with a domain though, like the fury domain from the eberron campaign setting allows me to go into rage 1/day as a free action, lasting 1 round/CL which ain't bad, and does probably just as much as that.

Unless the PrC says that it counts as Cleric levels for the purposes of improving a specific power, then it doesn't. So powers that are specifically linked to Cleric levels (Turn Undead, some domains) get nerfed when you go into a PrC. So its a bad idea to choose the Str domain or something similar unless you're going strait Cleric.

Also, if you plan to use Persistent Spell + Divine Metacheese, the Planning domain grants Extend Spell (a requirement for Persistent Spell) as a bonus feat, and the Undeath domain grants Extra Turning (which fuels Divine Metamagic). In the long run, I think both are bad choices because their spells suck, but if you're building a low level Cleric that's hungry for feats, they're good choices.

If you take the Travel domain, a good tactic is to cast Fly and the move directly above your enemies while using a reach weapon or bow. Take out the enemy spellcasters first, and then float over to their ranged shooters, then laugh as you poke the helpless melee combatants who can't get to you.

Olethros
2007-04-05, 11:05 AM
Unless I missed something in your party layout, it looks like your the primary (or atleast necessary secondary) healer. To that end I suggest "Stay Good" or atleast neutral channeling positive energy. The ability to dump spells into cures has saved many a party many a time, and means you never have to "waste" spell slots on it.

Thrawn183
2007-04-05, 11:51 AM
If you are at high enough level to afford it, you might want to concider (sp?) using a monk's belt instead of armor. Getting your wis +1 to AC that works for touch is pretty nice. Especially if you combine it with something like greater luminous armor from Book of Exalted Deeds that gives an armor bonus that will work with the belt.
The reason I bring this up: not wearing armor means you don't have a max dex bonus. If you plan to do this, putting a high roll into dex becomes useful. I had my cleric switch at high level, but I had put his lowest stat into dex so it wasn't as beneficial as it could have been. (It can be like a free improved initiative!)

Edit: Net gain: allows for maxing of dex, con and wis. Resulting in great AC, initiative, saves, hp etc. (not that you really have to worry about where to put your stats, I'm sooo jealous)

Hario
2007-04-05, 04:14 PM
So lets say I cast Righteous might, then fly, I'll have a 10 foot reach with normal weapons, can I just fly above them, whack everyone and not get hit? Also I was thinking of the travel domain so I can teleport/dimension door into someones square or next to then attack one and cleave the rest. Any rule for DDing into someone's square? I'm unsure if you get an AoO. Also for those who are unaware my character's stats are 18 str, 12 dex, 18 con, 18 int, 18 wis, 15 cha.

Also I'm the main healer, but there is the mystic thurge druid/wizard who can heal and the artificer and bard can too, so I don't need to worry about healing too much outside of wands of cure light wounds. And yes my character is Lawful Good otherwise he couldn't get into the fist of Raziel PrC.

Also thrawn, I like your idea but I can have a better AC for going into combat with a +2 fullplate, though I'm unsure if I should make it of a special material, mithral doesn't do too much except improve my all out runspeed and I have DD's and teleports for that.

daggaz
2007-04-05, 04:15 PM
You can dimension door, but then you are out of actions for that round. So you gotta wait to attack...

Hario
2007-04-05, 04:18 PM
You can dimension door, but then you are out of actions for that round. So you gotta wait to attack...
yea I was aware of that, tis why I'm tempted to buff with righteous might, then quicken a DD and pop in ;P