PDA

View Full Version : Sound Mage

Innis Cabal
2007-04-03, 09:11 PM
Sound Mage

At first glance the sound mage, with his many musical instruments and often times gaudy outfits, may com across to the unobservant as a bard. But this would be the first among many mistakes a normal person would make in the face of the Sound Mage. The sound of sword on sword, the blast of a fire ball as it obliterates all in its path and the terror the sound of an orc horde’s war call instills are all testaments of the Sound Mages craft. Mastering one of the five magical energies, the sound mage exalts the energy of sound like a pyromaniac exalts the power of fire. As they gain power, the air around them seem to scream and hum, almost to sing of the power he holds in his hands.

As members of a select group, sound mages are pulled almost exclusively from sorcerer and wizard stock, but clerics and other spell casters are not all together uncommon. Sorcerers claim that the blood of emerald dragons pulse within their veins, like a primal beat only they can hear. Wizards who join this prestige class see sound as a new frontier in magic, wholly unexplored and without limit.

As NPC’s Sound Mages are most often times travelers and musicians, not unlike bards. Most are to free willed to retain servants but truly evil and destructive Sound Mages keep sirens, elementals, and outsiders to guard them from their foes.
Hit Dice: d4.

Requirements
To qualify to become a sound mage, a character must fulfill all the following requirements.
Feats: Energy Substitution(Sonic)
Skills: Knowledge(Arcana) 8, Perform(any musical instrument or singing) 5
Spells: Able to cast 2nd level spells
Special: A character must spend 24 hours in the presence of music, or similar loud noise

B.A.B: As Wizard
Saves: As Wizard
Class Skills: Same as wizard

Class Features
All the following are class features for the sound mage prestige class

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: Sound Mages gain no proficiency with any weapons, armor, or shields

Armor of Sound: At 1st level a sound mage learns to cover himself with a powerful shield of invisible sound. A constant hum, or other sound surrounds the sound mage at all times. This does not impede the sound mage at all but can be disconcerting to his friends and those around him. This provides an enhancement to the sound mages deflection bonus to his armor equal to his charisma modifier.

Resistance to Sound: At 2nd level the sound mages understanding of resonance and vibration has granted him the ability to change his resonant frequency making it harder to harm him with sound. The sound mage gains sonic resistance 10.

Gain Knowledge: Beginning at 3rd level, the sound mage gains knowledge of any one sonic spell of his current caster level or below. Former wizards get to add this spell to their spell books for free, and former sorcerers and bards get to add this spell to their spells known, even if this takes them over their normal limit. For each two levels gained in this prestige class, he gains knowledge of the next higher spell level. If a character does not yet qualify for this spell he gains it when his level would allow him to.

Harmonies Discord: At 4th level, the sound mage gains the feat Harmonious Discord as a bonus metamagic feat. In addition to the normal benefits of the feat, the sound mage may bypass all resistances and immunities granted by spells and spell like effects of magic items.

One with Harmony: At 10th level, a sound mage has gained the ability to change his resonant frequency at will and is constantly surrounded by a constant noise, usually loud hum or babble of voices. His eyes shine with inner light and every time he talks it seems to echo in clear and perfect harmony. He gains the sonic subtype and thus becomes immune to all sound based attacks. This also includes a bard’s bardic music abilities, spell like abilities, and supernatural abilities.

Demented
2007-04-03, 11:29 PM
Neat. In the prerequisites, I'd specify Arcane spells, just in case some smart aleck out there wants to take a level in Sound Mage after becoming a Paladin 8. Actually, the Knowledge (Arcana) requirement would mean he'd have to be a Paladin 13.

On the other hand, what's wrong with that?

More problematic is that this is apparently a ten-level prestige class for casters that doesn't state if it continues your spellcasting, as far as I can tell.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-04, 01:01 PM
it does, forgot to add that

Raveler1
2007-04-04, 02:07 PM
Amazing. This is an awesome PrC - I'd only reccomend something added along the lines of a free clairaudience spell (special ability, use/day).

As an audio producer, I salute the prestige class!

Innis Cabal
2007-04-04, 03:56 PM
thank you! The last sorcerer i played was obsessed with sound and how it worked on the human body and mind, so as i started playing more and more of the game it became apparent i needed a PrC to reflect it. We are now level 32 and his obsession has been the soruce of no end of trouble