PDA

View Full Version : Would you use this (theoretical) site?

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 10:19 AM
I want to start a site where we could post entire homebrewed adventures and perhaps even NPC stats.

We wouldn't post anything outside of the SRD, so (hopefully) no legal trouble, but would make passing reference to it (IE, a page number and a creature name, but probably no more).

I say this because me and my players are wondering if people would use this.

The things would be open for anyone to use, free of charge, people could post their own adventures and play ones by other people.

weckar
2015-01-27, 10:22 AM
As long as you clearly separate the homebrew from the RAW (unlike a certain other site) I could see this getting a decent amount of traffic. Would it take a wiki-type approach or more of a feedtree?

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 10:27 AM
As long as you clearly separate the homebrew from the RAW (unlike a certain other site) I could see this getting a decent amount of traffic. Would it take a wiki-type approach or more of a feedtree?

It would probably lack the wiki-type feel (you'd post a complete adventure, with scanned in or computer generated maps). If you homebrew a monster, you'd post the stats in a separate part of the same page.

sakuuya
2015-01-27, 10:30 AM
Absolutely. 3.X adventures can be tough to find, so a place to collect new ones would be really cool.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-27, 10:32 AM
Easy adventures for when my players go off the rails? Hot.

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 10:37 AM
Easy adventures for when my players go off the rails? Hot.

Absolutely. 3.X adventures can be tough to find, so a place to collect new ones would be really cool.

The reason I want to do this is because I know I write up a bunch of stuff for my players (that they rarely, if ever, use) and it just sits in a binder in my backpack while I write up new stuff. I figure it would feel like less of a waste if it were up on the internet for everyone to use and post feedback on. Maybe there'd even be collaboration projects.

Doc_Maynot
2015-01-27, 10:41 AM
I know I'd jump at it, if you can deal with Kooky Kobolds I could probably fill the site with adventures.

Strigon
2015-01-27, 10:46 AM
Absolutely!
Even if people didn't take entire quests/plots from it, I can certainly see them using it for inspiration!

I, for one, would probably use it all the time.

weckar
2015-01-27, 10:46 AM
How exactly would you organize this? It'd be nice to have organised spaces for new adventures in existing settings...

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 10:48 AM
How exactly would you organize this? It'd be nice to have organised spaces for new adventures in existing settings...

Probably have separate pages for the main settings, then one leading to homebrewed settings.

weckar
2015-01-27, 10:50 AM
Mostly a bunch of 'standard' NPC listings from my old brewing days... That's what I'd throw on there.

Magma Armor0
2015-01-27, 12:26 PM

I'd like multiple sort options, if possible: one for setting and one for average party level.

LoyalPaladin
2015-01-27, 12:29 PM
I would use this all the time! Especially now that I am hosting two campaigns... haha.

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 05:17 PM
I would use this all the time! Especially now that I am hosting two campaigns... haha.

Maybe I should post a survey followed by a kickstarter.

LoyalPaladin
2015-01-27, 05:23 PM
Maybe I should post a survey followed by a kickstarter.
You would probably do pretty well for yourself. Post it on Brilliant Gameologists too. It's always good to have multiple sources.

JNAProductions
2015-01-27, 05:27 PM
Absolutely yes. I am a lazy, lazy DM, so having a massive pool of resources? Heck yeah!

One thing to have as a feature would be a simple rating system for balance, so other people who've played it can give you an idea how over/underpowered it is.

DarkEternal
2015-01-27, 05:41 PM
I would love a site like this, ESPECIALLY npc stats. It's one of the things I find myself having less and less time doing myself. Statting a good combat encounter with things not from the Monster Manual. I spend the better portion of a day making a good encounter with a cr equivalent group or one level higher if my party is fairly optimised, only to have it butchered in a round or two, no matter how you look at it. Seeing what minds can concoct for various levels would be great. Pathfinder did an npc codex for all twenty levels of all base classes, but they are fairly bland, so it would be fun to see what actual players have to offer.

And like mentioned, adventures on the fly from creative minds is always welcome.

Surpriser
2015-01-27, 06:10 PM
There are multiple interesting aspects to such a site. Features I would be interested in:

- Homebrewed settings / campaigns / adventures / locations
I think this should be the main focus of such a site. While there are a few other sources for free adventures, most of them link to the same set of WotC adventures.
Important features would be search/filtering (as mentioned above, by setting and level, but also type, genre, system, required books and user-defined tags).
Also, a rating system similar to the one for homebrew on dandwiki. Otherwise it will be very hard to judge the usability of entries at a glance when searching for materials.

- NPC / creature stats
There are already multiple sites for this, so I can see this mostly as an addendum to the previous points (i.e. any NPC/monster that appears in an adventure has its own entry)

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 06:16 PM
In case you missed the post on the 3.5/PF main page, the survey is posted to surveymonkey here. (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9BZRBDL)

sakuuya
2015-01-27, 06:32 PM
In your survey, you keep talking about adventure paths rather than adventures. Does that mean you wouldn't want to host adventures that are not part of a larger path?

atemu1234
2015-01-27, 06:33 PM
In your survey, you keep talking about adventure paths rather than adventures. Does that mean you wouldn't want to host adventures that are not part of a larger path?

I should clarify that.

I would host full adventures, sequels to adventures, etc., just posted separately.

unbutu
2015-01-28, 05:29 PM
I think it's interesting. I don't see how you could easily keep it SRD compliant. Would be much easier to do on pathfinder.

atemu1234
2015-01-28, 05:31 PM
I think it's interesting. I don't see how you could easily keep it SRD compliant. Would be much easier to do on pathfinder.

It'd probably have moderators who delete things that are not allowed with the SRD. Or, we could go the youtube route and have things be deleted when we receive complaints; apart from that, not much to be done.

ComaVision
2015-01-28, 06:06 PM
It's definitely a good idea that I support.

How the index is set up will make a big difference on how useful it is though. At the least, it should be observable at a glance what the setting and level range are and whether there are homebrew elements or not.

Silva Stormrage
2015-01-28, 06:07 PM
For the SRD bit, couldn't you just list sources and describe basically what happens when you use X? Isn't that what we do on these forums and thats okay.

Not a legal expert though

Coidzor
2015-01-28, 06:22 PM
I would love a site with a repository of adventure modules and adventure paths, with or without homebrew settings themselves.

LooseCannoneer
2015-01-28, 06:38 PM
I'd be a major contributor.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-28, 06:40 PM
You could just post them here and get a sticky thread to archive them.

atemu1234
2015-01-28, 06:46 PM

True, but between jpeg size and other possible issues (formatting for one), I think this idea might be better.

Coidzor
2015-01-29, 04:41 AM

A subforum or a sticky thread attempting to collate that sort of thing would be nifty as well, aye, though it's one of the things that seems to be less popular than other forms of homebrew, possibly because of the difference between a module and someone's DM's notes while they're playing it by ear?