PDA

View Full Version : Eberron with Giant Robots: Sharn

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-03, 09:56 PM
At about one in the afternoon, the sky above Breland was filled with explosions.

Trailing fire, and not all of it from the elemental ring that encircled it, an airship of unusual manufacture sank out of the clouds and landed, with an earthshaking crash, at the eastern edge of the forest northwest of Baran's Keep.

Though some locals who observed the phenomenon reported seeing "great silver flying creatures, like angels" around the crash site, this would not be deemed relevant by the authorities until much later, when it was too late.

Now a burning, smoking ruin, the ship settles into the newly carved crater in the earth... just waiting for someone to invesitage and search for survivors... or plunder...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-03, 10:11 PM
Casfal, his ivory mask gleaming in the afternoon light, approaches the crash site on a rented horse. Eventually the horse grows too skittish of the smoke and flames, and Casfal dismounts to continue his approach on foot, tying his mount to a handy tree.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-03, 10:22 PM
Ike d'Cannith

"By the Five Nations!"

A young red-haired man in his early 20s stands up, having seen the crash through the window of his one-room home. He clearly bears the weakest version of the Mark of Making on his left hand. "How could an airship just crash like that? Someone must have tampered with it!" He puts down his book, A Brief History of Battle Tactics During the War of the Mark, Third Edition, volume five of twenty-three.

"Whatever the case," he states, "there might be survivors. I have to go see!"

He walks toward the door of his home, and picks up his supplies. A long wooden staff, one well-kept backpack full of useful items, and a bag containing items that aren't so easy to carry are all on the list, as is a strange, translucent, yellow orb that appears to be glowing with some sort of energy.

Ike borrows a horse from one of the residents of the village he lives in, and rides to the crash site.

Asmodeus
2007-04-03, 10:24 PM
Wrench

Wrench was with McCormick when they received word that a Lyrandar Airship had crashed. As the two closest representatives of the House, they were asked to investigate the crash, help any survivors, and if possible, recover the ship and cargo before it was robbed.

Upon reaching the crash site, Wrench sees that others are already at the scene. The warforged raises his voice and calls out "Halt! That is a Lyrandar Airship. Who are you and what are you doing at this crash site?"

Wrench displays a Signet Brooch showing he is a member of House Lyrandar.

Hoorex
2007-04-03, 10:31 PM
Brute
Growling lowly to himself, the warforged would have smiled had he been blessed with the ablity to do so. As the burning airship sailed the horizon, explosions drawing the attention of even deaf men, Brute changed his course from towards the local tavern, to the intresting new business proposial that just showed itself. Hell, opporunity usually doesn't come knocking. Shipwrecks meant survivors and parts. Both meant good business.

Reaching the area, the warforged stopped dead. Others were already there... Now how was he going to handle that?

"I was ordered to clean up the mess. Wrecks cause panic. Bad for business..."
He said to the badge-flashing other.

Winged One
2007-04-03, 10:34 PM
"Tira Mirron on the grill!" Achille blasphemes in suprise when he sees one of the airships crash. Even though he's on his last day of supplies, he runs toward the smoking crater from the path he's on, hoping that perhaps somebody worth saving might be saved from it.

With the warforged's demands, he stutters "I-I-I I saw the crash...I'll go away if you don't want me to help..." he trails off, ashamed of himself for no rational reason.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-03, 10:34 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike steps up to the warforged, and begins to speak. "Well met. My name is Ike d'Cannith, child of House Cannith and bearer of the Mark of Making." He opens his backpack and produces from it a set of identification papers proving his identity. "Now," he continues, "I came here in order to rescue any possible survivors. I don't suppose that you might aid me in this task? Also, it would be useful to know what name you go by."

Asmodeus
2007-04-03, 10:45 PM
Wrench

Wrench replies to the other warforged first. "Alright. I thought we were the only members of the house nearby. But glad to have you with us."

To Ike he says "I am called Wrench. This is McCormick d'Lyrandar. I'm sure we could use help." He gestures to the Half-Elf who is with him for the introduction.

Hoorex
2007-04-03, 10:49 PM
Brute
His little lie had worked like magic. Who said warforged had no charisma?! Laughing heavily within his metal shell, deep in his core, he continued to search the wreckage for anything of value, and hoped to quickly pocket it before anyone else could notice.
((Are we doing rolls or is the DM? And are we doing rolls for PC on PC interaction?))

Resonance
2007-04-03, 10:49 PM
McCormick

This was all happening too fast... so many looters already... did Wrench just speak over me before I even... oh papers.

Steps around Wrench and takes the papers from Ike's hand,"Thank you Wrench." He looks down at the papers and mulls them over a second before shoving them back at the man. "I don't mean to be rude sir but lets get into the wreckage and start looking for survivors. Your aid in this task will not go overlooked by House Lyrandar."

Formalities out of the way, check. On to the task at hand. "Common Wrench, you'll be left in place for a thousand years if you don't get moving. Bellow for survivors thrice Wrench every 10 minutes or so."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-03, 10:50 PM
Hearing Wrench, Casfal turns. I am Casfal Markise, he introduces himself in a smooth, educated baritone. I am here to satisfy my curiosity, and to help rescue any survivors. With a flourish he produces his identity papers.

Asmodeus
2007-04-03, 10:53 PM
{OOC: I voluntarily failed my sense motive check. Wrench isn't very wise, so he could easily be taken advantage of. Of course, you may need to make the check against the rest of the group.}

Wrench

Wrench replies with military crispness "Aye Commander." to McCormick and heads into the wreckage. He'll look around first to make sure the structure is safe and not in danger of collapsing on them and then start looking for survivors.

[roll0] Edit: If possible, take 10 for this roll instead?
[roll1]

Winged One
2007-04-03, 10:55 PM
Achille
"Um...I'm Achille...I'm not really with any house, I just thought there might be some survivors when I saw the crash..." Achille mutters. "Um...I'm not sure you want my help...I'm no good..." The human's muscular build under his clothes and chaimail put a lie to his statement, at least refering to physical labor. "Er...I don't really have any papers...they always want to know my last name, and they never believe me when I say I don't have one...but I don't, honest..." A blind monkey could tell that he's lying about his last name.

Auto-failing Bluff.

Hoorex
2007-04-03, 11:00 PM
[roll0] (Search)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-03, 11:06 PM
Seeing that his identity papers were unneeded, Casfal tucks them away and joins the others in their searching efforts.

Search check: [roll0]

Winged One
2007-04-03, 11:06 PM
Achille takes his cue from the others and also looks through the wreckage for survivors. However, if anybody so much as gives him a dirty look about it, he stops with a mumbled "sorry..."

Search (1d20+2=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=955527)

Not a Paladin
2007-04-03, 11:17 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike returns his papers to his backpack and begins searching the wreckage along with everyone else.

(OoC: Search check: [roll0])

Resonance
2007-04-04, 10:35 AM
McCormick

Visibly irked at the interloper that appeared from the trees for being less than forth coming, "You," he said pointing at Achille, "come here with me, I need to speak with you." McCormick walks up swiftly and gently guides the man away at the elbow.

Quitely, but if anyone decides to swing by and eavesdrop... although they'll be clearly going out of their way, "If you are here to loot I advise you strongly to leave the area now and I will forget your name and face. But if you have business with this craft or the house then you best tell me your sir-name."
While he does this he flips open a leather book that appears to have ribbons and seals of wax stamped within it. It is embossed with the mark of Storms upon it.

Anyone watching would see that McCormick is presenting the man with his identification.

Winged One
2007-04-04, 11:47 AM
Achille doesn't resist being led away, and mumbles a run-on reply of "Um...neither of those are true, actually...I was just around here when I saw the crash...I thought that someone might still be alive...I'll go anyway...they've probably invented airships that pilot themselves and I'm too useless to know about them...is that why you're not asking this stuff to that other warforged besides Wrench?"

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-04, 04:14 PM
The wreckage seems stable for now, but the continuing fires could change that within a fairly short amount of time. Even from the outside, however, it appears obvious that the cargo hold has sustained very little damage- the interior of the ship has been so heavily reinforced that the doors are even still locked... though the locks themselves don't appear to be in great shape.

Curiously, the salvagers would likely note that the airship doesn't actually have any identifying crests or symbols on it. If it is a Lyrander airship, the house didn't feel the need to mark it.

The crew of the ship has faired less well- their bodies are litterred throughout the remains of the ship in varying degrees of recognizability. Curiously, a few of them don't appear to have been killed by the fall... at least one crewman seems to have been impaled by what appears to be a seven foot crossbow bolt.

Then, rather abruptly, a piece of rubble shifts, and a middle-aged man pushes himself into view, groaning and holding a bloody tear in his shirt.

[I can't help but notice we seem to have six players. Lord Iames, I had you down for group 2. If you had your heart absolutely set on joining these guys, I guess you can stay, but if you don't mind we can either retcon your appearance or, even better, work it into the story in an insidious manner. :D]

Asmodeus
2007-04-04, 04:22 PM
Wrench

"Ally in need of Repair." Wrench announces in his metallic voice as he begins moving through the wreckage to get to the wounded man. He tries to clear a path for those with him, expecting one of them with ability to heal to follow.

Upon reaching the man, Wrench will try to clear the rubble from around him to see how extensive his injuries are. If the man looks like he is not in danger of dying, Wrench will begin asking questions. "Can you say what caused this ship to crash?"

Winged One
2007-04-04, 04:33 PM
Is he saying it loudly enough for Achille and McCormick to hear?

Asmodeus
2007-04-04, 04:38 PM
{OOC: Yes. He would definetly want to make sure that McCormick could hear. I assume you would be close enough for that as well.}

Resonance
2007-04-04, 04:56 PM
McCormick

McCormick begins to question the mans intent and diversion when he is cut off by Wrench, "Why are you... nevermind that now. Can you heal?" Without waiting for a reply he lightly guides Achilles by the back of the armor again towards Wrench. Thirty feet out he begins talking at Wrench.
"Wrench what's the condition!? How many and are they awake? Take notes. Report later."

McCormick deposits Achilles next to Wrench and bellows out,"Everyone else, keep looking for survivors," as he heads off in the direction of the other Warforged man.

Winged One
2007-04-04, 05:02 PM
"Yeah, I can hear him." Achille says. Rather than allowing himself to be guided, human runs as fast as he can in chainmail toward the shouting warforged. When he arrives, he tries to take the rubble off of the survivor.

[roll0]

Winged One
2007-04-04, 05:03 PM
Whoops, I meant to type 1d20+3, not +13 there. So that STR check is actually 20 total.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-04, 05:19 PM
Casfal, seeing that the others seem to have the injured man under control for now, unlimbers his crossbow, loads it, and executes a coup de grace against one of the locks on the doors to the cargo hold.

((That's max damage, autocrit, so 16 points.))

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-04, 05:40 PM
Achille is easily able to free the man, but unfortunately Wrench isn't going to be able to help him much- when his hand is oulled away from his wound, a shard of metal is found lodged in his body, going all the way through his torso, severing his spine, and opening up his belly. He doesn't seem to be aware of what's going on around him.

"Actually built them... can't believe it... shot us down... without taking a scratch... king was right... never... should have started... the project..."

His eyes suddenly focus on Wrench, and he takes the warforged's hand in a vicelike grip.

"The prototypes... get them... to Wroat... you'll be... rewarded... all you want... just don't... let them fall into anyone else's hands...!"

Those are the last words he manages to get out. An instant later, Casfal's crossbow bolt shatters the cargo lock, and the hold's door creaks open.

In the darkness beyond, what appears to be a metallic golem of unusual manufature stares menacingly outwards with a single, empty eye.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-04, 05:44 PM
Casfal goes into the cargo hold to get a better look at the golem.

Winged One
2007-04-04, 05:46 PM
"Um...is that one of the prototypes he was talking about?" Achille asks, pointing to the golem through the open door.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-04, 06:08 PM
IKE D'CANNITH

"It seems that that most likely is one of the prototypes, Achille," remarks Ike. He walks toward it, trying to get a better view. "Well, whatever they are, Wroat's not that far away. It might be a good idea to take the prototypes there. Also, I'd like to find out what they do..."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-04, 06:10 PM
You're not alone in that by any measure, Casfal says.

Winged One
2007-04-04, 06:14 PM
Achille tries to get a good look at the prototypes. Unless they're actually small enough to carry, he asks "Um...how are we going to get them to Wroat, anyway?" He thinks about mentioning the possibility of additional survivors, but doesn't want to make Ike or Casfal angry.

Asmodeus
2007-04-04, 06:16 PM
Wrench

As the man's life ends, Wrench reports to McCormick. "Commander, this Ally no longer functions. There appears to be no other survivors."

Wrench starts searching for any sort of identification papers on the man. If he finds none, he'll start searching the other bodies until he finds something or runs out of bodies.

{OOC: Taking 20 on the search for ID papers.}

Resonance
2007-04-04, 06:44 PM
Having not gotten very far in his personal quest to check the papers of the other warforged he is stopped short by Wrench, "Alright then..." he surveys the scene, "collect all the papers and other personal affects for identification. The proper authorities should be here soon enough and I'd like them to not have to wonder about identifying the bodies." Still really hasn't even so much as glanced at the markings on the ship or the persons now entering its hold as he tallies the human cost of this scene.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-04, 08:15 PM
The man turns out to be Captain Morgan Fourwood of the Breland military. The rest of the crew have papers that identify them as Breland soldiers. None of the others are alive.

The six "prototypes" are about sixteen feet high, made of a dull gray metal and looking more or less like huge suits of armor with somewhat pronounced pauldrons on the left shoulder. In fact, as you approach them, you notice that their stomach and chest plates are opened up, revealing a space inside large enough for a medium humanoid, each of which contains what looks like another much smaller and lighter suit of armor, though it doesn't seem to be designed to protect the extremities so much as just... be strapped to them.

Each of the prototypes has an enormous battleaxe sheathed on the back of its waist, and on the far wall there are a number of large lockers, one of which has fallen open to reveal an enormous crossbow. Stencilled on the wall above the prototypes is the word "Kothar."

Not a Paladin
2007-04-04, 08:23 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike examines the prototypes. "Okay, this is interesting. Perhaps...you control them by using the armor inside? Alas, there is too much that is unknown! I would guess, though, that the crossbow was used against the crew, the other lockers might contain more, and the word 'Kothar' has something to do with these constructs." He approaches one of them. "Well, we should probably go about trying to get these things working. How else are we going to move them to Wroat?"

Asmodeus
2007-04-04, 08:25 PM
Wrench

Wrench will take the ID papers of the captain to McCormick. "They are military, Commander.

Oooh...."

Wrench sees the prototypes and immediately goes to investigate them in detail. He'll apply all of his artificer experience towards determining what they are, how they work, and any other information about them.

{OOC: not sure what skills i need to roll here, so I'm just going with a scatter shot.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

}

Winged One
2007-04-04, 08:28 PM
"Erm, are you sure it's all right to do that, Mr, um d'Cannith?" Achille asks nervously.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-04, 08:42 PM
Casfal climbs into one of the golems and begins strapping the "armor" on.

Winged One
2007-04-04, 08:51 PM
"Um, never mind then...can somebody help me out of this chainmail then?" Achille asks. With or without help, Achille takes his own armor off and follows Casfal's lead by putting the golem armor on.

Hoorex
2007-04-04, 09:50 PM
Brute
Those sell for a good price... I bet... The warforged thought as he eyed the golems. The looked like the next step in warforged evolution.
"Next thing ya know, they'll be calling these things "living constructs"...."
[roll0] ((Appraise))

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-04, 09:59 PM
Wrench discovers that the armor is not only really big, it is enchanted, though the exact nature of those enchantments are nebulous. Needless to say, the constructs are easily far more durable than they appear, and their weapons are likely far deadlier. The metalwork itself is exquisite- masters have toiled on these titans of steel, and judging by the initials carved into out of the way bits of the armors, these masters represented multiple races and disciplines. Brute comes to much the same conclusion, though he can't identify all the telltale marks, or the more arcane adjustments that have been made.

Ike's guess proves to be correct- after Casfal and Achille begin strapping themselves in, they finds the larger armor, with not inconsiderable effort, mimicking their movements. It takes some getting used to, but ultimately the huge constructs limit the investigator's movements no more than a heavy suit of armor. The chestplates are closed with a simple lever and locking mechanism, allowing the pilot to see out through the openings in the armor's "helmets", a couple of mirrors allowing them limited vision from behind as well.

Eventually, a little further investigation reveals storage spaces on the armors' backs, assumably for personal belongings, and that the control straps are adjustable- they can become loose enough to accomodate a warforged, and when tightened would allow even someone as small as a halfling to control the bestial creation.

The weapons lockers contain four crossbows, two heavily-built while two are of the repeating variety, four boxes of bolts, and eight javelins, all appropriately large enough to be utilized by the constructs. The constructs have racks on their rear waist armor that seem designed to accomodate a box of bolts or a bundle of four javelins.

It seems obvious, then, that the prototypes are weapons.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-04, 10:07 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike now boards one of the prototypes. He then moves it toward one of the lockers and takes the crossbow inside, as well as some bolts. "This device should come in handy."

(OoC: Just how are we going to record these things on our character sheets?)

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-04, 10:17 PM
Ike feels approximately 300% more manly than before.

[I'm essentially treating it as armor with several magical effects, one of which is increasing your size to Large and allowing you to wield suitably sized weapons. I'll give you all specific rules pretty soon, but I want to tease you a bit with some blind flailing about first. :D Also, did Ike take one of the heavy crossbows or a light repeating crossbow?]

Not a Paladin
2007-04-04, 10:22 PM
[Ike took one of the heavy crossbows.]

Ike now begins walking around in the armor, trying to get a feel for controlling it.

Winged One
2007-04-04, 10:23 PM
Achille

"Dear Flame..." Achille says in wonder. He follows Ike's lead, taking a repeating crossbow, as he does know how to use them even though he'd need about an hour with one to remember. Then, he tries to pick up one of the unoccupied suits.

[roll0]

Hoorex
2007-04-04, 10:37 PM
Brute
Seeing that the "authority" figures had no trouble with the others simply strapping themselves in, Brute begins to climb into his own prototype. A few quick straps, and the warforged is seated within the bulk of the creation. Flexing his extended knuckles, he reaches for the large battle axe, and begins to give it a few practice swings.

"Has anyone every heard of these things before?"

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-04, 11:14 PM
Achille finds himself easily capable of lifting the other suit. far more easily than he would have thought, even given how much bigger he technically is now.

Brute's axe is a piece of art, fitting perfectly in the prototype's hands and swinging with perfect balance. When he draws it from the storage rack, the blade turns red hot, then bursts into flame.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-04, 11:16 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike turns to Brute. "I would guess that no one among us has heard of them. They certainly aren't made by House Cannith, that's for sure. If they were, then I would have been notified somehow."

Winged One
2007-04-04, 11:24 PM
Having essentially overloaded his mind with wonder at this point, Achille sets the other prototype down. If he can find a place to put the crossbow on the armor, he puts it there. Then he hops up and down to see what happens.

[roll0] Armor check penalty unknown, and therefore not applied.

Asmodeus
2007-04-05, 08:14 AM
Wrench

Wrench watches as the more adventurous begin to test the prototypes. He is curious about their speed capabilities, but doesn't ask. Instead he turns to McCormick. "Orders, Commander?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 08:42 AM
Casfal closes the hatch and takes one of the heavy crossbows and a bundle of bolts. He then attempts to walk out of the cargo hold. Incredible... these thing are like gigantic, mobile suits of armor...

Resonance
2007-04-05, 11:50 AM
McCormick

Shifting distractedly through the papers given to him by Wrench he mulls over everything he's seen here so far. He has yet to lay eyes on what has everyone wondering off into the holds of this ship, " *sigh*... everyones a salvage man when there are no more injured to take care of."

Resonance
2007-04-05, 12:00 PM
McCormick

Snapping out of shock ( OOC: sorry work got busy ) he quickly surveys the goings on before him and responds to Wrench, "Are there enough suites for everyone here? If so, take one please. We'll have to see about carrying any extras. This looks like top secret stuff. But from who's house?"

Asmodeus
2007-04-05, 12:04 PM
Wrench

"Six Golems, Six people, Commander."

Wrench starts checking the rest of the lockers in the cargo hold to see if any of them contain other valuables, or perhaps an instruction manual for the prototypes. If he finds nothing else, he will empty one of the lockers and take the gear over to the nearest remaining prototype and attach it as appropriate. He will also stow his own gear into the back compartment of the prototype before climbing in.

{OOC: Do these 'golems' count as constructs?}

Hoorex
2007-04-05, 12:10 PM
Brute
"How are we supposed to return these things if we don't even know where the hell they came from?!"
He was starting to get a little sick of playing the good guy act, and wanted to bolt with his new toy, but figured a little longer may profit well.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 12:17 PM
Casfal hefts the heavy crossbow in his Kothar's hands and aims it experimentally.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-05, 12:19 PM
Achille's attempt at jumping isn't really all that great, but he doesn't notice a lot of appreciable drag.

Outside the cargo hold, the wreck is starting to settle. Casfal and Wrench are easily able to clamber over the rubble. Wrench finds that his stride has noticably increased (can travel 40 ft. as a move action), especially considering that he is technically wearing a really big and complicated suit of armor.

And he apparently isn't the only one who wants it. The moment Wrench clears the crater caused by the airship's crash, an ogre leaps out from behind a piece of rubble and, roaring like a beast, smacks Wrench's suit across the helmet with a large club.

Wrench doesn't feel a thing. If anything, the ogre's club is looking a little splintered.

[1. Roll initiative, and describe your character's actions for the first round. If something happens in the meantime that makes your character's action(s) unfeasible, you can repost and correct it.

2. OOC thread for this party set up here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39684). Have fun talking about the other party behind their backs! :D

3. Since they aren't sentient and technically just really big suits of armor, the prototypes are technically objects. ...we really need to pick one thing to call them, or this is going to get confusing fast... ]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 12:26 PM
((Mobile Suits! Mobile Suits! XD))

((I've revised my sheet somewhat after I found some mistakes - namely, I was one feat short.))

Initiative: [roll0]

Hearing the roar, Casfal whirls and fires his crossbow at the ogre.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 12:29 PM
Ranged Attack (+2 normally, -4 for firing into melee) [roll0]

Damage [roll1]

Resonance
2007-04-05, 12:32 PM
McCormick

Runs like mad to the only remaining available suit and dives in head first trying to orient himself in its 'guts' all while trying to stuff the collection of identification papers into his shirt.

[roll0]

Asmodeus
2007-04-05, 12:33 PM
Wrench
Round 1
Init: 15
AC: 19 (vt 11, ff 18) Not modified for new suit
HP: 8/8

[roll0]

Wrench looks at the ogre and decides to test out the new gear. He brings his hands together in a double-fist and slams the ogre. "Rush Foe!"

[roll1]
Attack modified for Large size.
[roll2]
Damage modified for Large size.

{OOC: I'm just wondering if my Repair Damage spells will work on the suits.}

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 12:53 PM
Nix my former actions, Casfal is going to look around and see if he can spot any more enemies.

Spot check [roll0]

Winged One
2007-04-05, 01:56 PM
Achille
AC with DEX bonus and without armor bonus 12
[roll0]
Achille follows Wrench and Casfal. When he sees the ogre, he draws the axe on the suit as he moves toward it and attempts to bring it down on the ogre in a two-handed blow.
[roll1]BAB 1, natural STR 3.
[roll2]
Assuming a large nonmasterwork battleaxe(which is almost certainly wrong, but it should be easier for you to mess with) wielded two-handed with Achille's natural STR bonus.

Hoorex
2007-04-05, 04:08 PM
Brute
If there was one thing he could do to make it good with these guys, it would be taking out the big mean guys. Orges were one of his specialties. With an odd glint in his mechanical eyes, the warforged roared, and began climbing out of the wreckage.
[i](( [roll0] Init, Entering Rage))

Not a Paladin
2007-04-05, 06:13 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike follows the rest of the group outside. Seeing the ogre, he moves forward, loading a bolt into the crossbow he took.

(Initiative: [roll0]

All I'm doing is moving five feet toward the ogre and loading my crossbow.)

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-05, 11:06 PM
McCormick starts strapping himself in- looks like it'll take a little longer for him to completely encase himself in the Kothar, the control system's pretty simple, but there's about a million little buckles to do up.

Achille's axe bursts into flame and scores a deep gash across the Ogre's chest, prompting a scream of agony from the beast.

Brute clears the cargo hold and finds himself within easy distance of the battle.

Wrench strikes out with supernatural power, but the Ogre just barely manages to avoid the blow.

Casfal has a good view of the surrounding area from the Kothar. He doesn't see anything else moving within his range of vision.

Ike's crossbow loads smoothly, ready to fire.

The Ogre puts a hand over its wound, glares darkly at Achille, and delivers an awesome blow to the Kothar's midsection. The metal armor bows inward from the force of the strike, but Achille himself remains unharmed.

[Time for the second round! Asmodeus, I'm not sure if it's technically RAW or not, but yes, your spells will prove effective at repairing any damage the machines should take.]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 11:10 PM
Casfal loads his crossbow and takes a 5-ft. step toward the ogre.

Winged One
2007-04-05, 11:19 PM
Achille
HP 14/14
AC unknown, DEX bonus +2
Initiative 20
Achille moves around the ogre in an attempt to place it between himself and Wrench. He tries to do this nimbly enough to avoid another blow by the ogre. As he brings the axe toward the ogre again, he says in wonder, "Kamate..." unknowingly echoing the pronouncement a hobgoblin legend about the first sword to be forged.

Moving to flank with Wrench and attacking again.
Armor check not applied
[roll1]
[roll=Damage]1d10+1d6+5
This time assuming a large sized +1 flaming battleaxe wielded two-handed with Achille's natural STR. Might or might not be wrong about the weapon.

Winged One
2007-04-05, 11:21 PM
Whoops. I guess I have to roll the damage dice seperately.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Oh, and the Goblin translates as "it is death," if anybody's wondering and doesn't remember the legend about the Iron Heart legacy weapon off-hand.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-06, 01:01 AM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike approaches the ogre, his crossbow at the ready, and fires.

(OoC: attack roll: [roll0]
damage roll: [roll1]
This assumes a Large heavy crossbow using nonmagical bolts.)

Winged One
2007-04-06, 01:12 AM
How in the hell do you get a -5 to hit with a crossbow with a character that was built with point buy, even with a size penalty?

Not a Paladin
2007-04-06, 01:35 AM
(OoC: I was shooting into a melee. However, I just realized that I should only get a -3 to hit, due to my Dexterity bonus. Not that it changes much...)

Asmodeus
2007-04-06, 07:57 AM
Wrench
Round 2
Init: 15
AC: 19 (vt 11, ff 18) Not modified for new suit
HP: 8/8

Wrench draws the battleaxe that came with the Kothar and swings it at the ogre, holding it with both hands as it bursts into flames.

[roll0]
Modifiers: +1 Str, -1 Size, +1 Enhancement, +2 Flanking
[roll1]
Modifiers: +2 2-handed Str, +1 Enhancement
[roll2]

Resonance
2007-04-06, 12:00 PM
McCormick

( OCC: Holding action )

Continues to fiddle with the buckles and straps that allow one to pilot this thing properly.

Hoorex
2007-04-06, 02:45 PM
Brute
With a ferocious roar, the warforged throws himself into the fray. Swinging his newfound axe, the the barbarian roars for blood!
((Charge))

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-07, 02:15 AM
McCormick manages to get himself strapped in just as Achille strikes. His Kothar's joints screech as he drives his axe through the ogre's body, literally slashing the poor thing in half. The resulting pool of blood boils from the heat of the Kothar's axe.

If there are any other monsters in the vicinity, or the moment they seem content to pee themselves in hiding.

[Fortunately for Not a Paladin, this ends the combat before he can make the most spectacular miss Eberron has ever seen.]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-07, 02:53 AM
The immediate threat having been overcome, Casfal walks over to the others. So, who are all of you? I'm afraid I didn't catch your names in all the excitement.

Asmodeus
2007-04-07, 04:52 PM
Wrench

Wrench immediately turns to Achille and climbs down out of his Kothar. "You require repairs. Please hold still."

He then applies an infusion of magical energy into the Kothar to repair its damage. Once thats finished, he says to Casfal "I am Wrench, Maintenance Crew for House Lyrandar's airship fleet."

[roll0]

Not a Paladin
2007-04-07, 05:49 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike takes the bolt out of his crossbow and puts it back in the box. He then puts his crossbow away. Turning to Casfal, he introduces himself, holding out his identification papers. "I an Ike d'Cannith, dragonmarked member of House Cannith."

(OoC: Repair Light Damage cast by a 1st-level Artificer would repair 1d8+1 damage, not 1d6+1 damage.)

Asmodeus
2007-04-08, 09:30 AM
{OOC: My bad. Rerolling
Edit: Didn't do me any good, did it? :(}

[roll0]

Wrench

Seeing the results of his work he says to Achille, "Its not 100%, but it will hold you until I get a chance to do more detailed work." He climbs back up into the Kothar.

Winged One
2007-04-08, 12:20 PM
"Um, thanks, Wrench. It doesn't look too bad anyway, really. That ogre hit your, uh, Kothar too, didn't he?" Achille calls down to the warforged. When Casfal asks for names, Achille obliges with "I'm Achille. I, er, didn't catch your name either."

Asmodeus
2007-04-08, 12:34 PM
Wrench

"Correct. But he did more damage to his own weapon than this armor."

Not a Paladin
2007-04-08, 02:04 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike exits his Kothar and approaches Achille's. "Your vehicle is still damaged. Perhaps I can be of assistance." He places his left hand on the machine's knee, and the dragonmark begins glowing.

(OoC: Repair Light Damage spell-like ability: [roll0])

Following this, Ike returns to his Kothar.

Winged One
2007-04-08, 02:43 PM
"Um, thanks. Does anybody know the way to Wroat?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-08, 06:30 PM
In the cockpit, Casfal nods. It's good to meet you, Wrench, Ike, Achille. I am Casfal Markise, a traveler from the northern part of Thrane. You may be able to detect hints of the Thranish, and, somewhat strangely, Karrnathi accents in his speech.

Winged One
2007-04-08, 08:40 PM
"Oh, okay. You don't have much of an, um, accent." Achille says. He himself has a Karrnathi accent, offset by minor influences of all the Five Nations, and even a slight hobgoblin influence.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-08, 08:57 PM
I've lost a lot of it over the course of my travels.

((Oh, and I just realized I should have made a Bluff check when I said I was from Thrane. [roll0]))

Winged One
2007-04-08, 09:40 PM
Well, I might roll well enough to beat that, so: [roll0]

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-08, 09:45 PM
((You can tell he's lying about something))

Not a Paladin
2007-04-08, 09:54 PM
Ike d'Cannith

(OoC: I'll roll my Sense Motive for this: [roll0])

There's definitely something very suspicious about what Casfal said, but Ike isn't saying what it is at this time.

Winged One
2007-04-08, 10:00 PM
Achille

"Um, I don't want to be rude, but...uh, never mind. I'm probably wrong about it."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-08, 10:05 PM
((Actually there's two things Casfal was lying about... hehehe))

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-09, 12:24 AM
(Anyone with a passing knowledge of geography should be aware that Wroat is about three our four days' journey to the west. You more or less have the option of going through the forest, or over open ground. The forest is a straighter line, but god knows what's in there. On the other hand, god knows who'd see you walking giant mechanical battlesuits around in the open.)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-09, 09:58 AM
So where are we headed? Wroat?

Asmodeus
2007-04-09, 10:18 AM
Wrench

"The captain requested that we deliver the prototypes there." Wrench confirms. However, he doesn't say that is exactly what he is doing. Instead, he looks to McCormick to see how he wants to handle the situation.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-09, 10:31 AM
Casfal looks at the others, examining what weapons they've chosen. Inside his Kothar, he nods to himself.

Resonance
2007-04-09, 03:15 PM
McCormick

Makes his way out of the hold in the Kothar, testing it out along the way as he walks towards the gathering of the others. It seems they are making introductions again.

"McCormik d'Lyrandar, House Lyrandar. Wrench is correct, the captain asked to get these too Wroat, but can anyone guess at the purpose? I surmise, given this airship being shot down, we might want to head out rather quickly. However, the ship is unmarked by House or Guild, which leads me to believe these suites may be stolen goods belonging to someone else. Are we to deliver them to a friend then in Wroat... or a foe? Either way, Wrench and I are heading for Wroat as I'd like to know more about these inventions. We can all guess that these will be worth a tidy sum to someone who wants them, rather than trying to go through a fence who will rip you off six ways till sun down." As he says these last few words he looks deliberately at several members of the party...

"Shall we get moving then?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-09, 04:12 PM
Casfal smiles to himself. If we don't want to draw attention to ourselves, I suggest we hide in the forest until nightfall, and then begin making our way to Wroat.

Resonance
2007-04-09, 05:43 PM
With a laugh, "What? Draw more attention that this? That is a fine idea I think, not sure what it means for the people who shot this thing down though. How much time will it give them to catch up?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-09, 06:07 PM
Without knowing what did it or how fast they can move, there's no way to tell for certain.

Bluff - [roll0]

Winged One
2007-04-09, 06:33 PM
"Um, we move pretty fast in these things. We might be able to get there in just a day. Er...which way's west?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-09, 06:58 PM
Through the forest is due west.

Winged One
2007-04-09, 07:13 PM
"Oh. I thought there might be some other forest around here." Achille says. He seems to remember something. "Um, the person that taught me to fight also taught me that when you kill somebody, you're supposed to take their stuff. Er, I don't have to if none of you want to."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-09, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure if the ogre would have anything of value, but I suppose there's no harm in checking.

Asmodeus
2007-04-10, 08:04 AM
Wrench

Wrench goes back to the wreckage, once he hears that they don't know what caused the ship to crash and starts looking for any sort of clues or indications. If there is any equivalent of a black-box, he'll try to find it.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-10, 12:22 PM
With anything like a halfway decent spot check Wrench should notice the half a dozen huge crossbow bolts through what's left of the ship's elemental ring. He would note that the bolts are actually much larger than the ones used by the Kothars, and curiously have not been reduced to ash by the elemental ring's flames.

Winged One
2007-04-10, 12:24 PM
Unless somebody voices an objection to it, Achille climbs out of his Kothar and rifles through the ogre's pockets. Whatever he finds, he displays to the rest of the group.

Take 10 on Search for 12.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 12:32 PM
Casfal checks the cargo hold to see if there are any more suits inside. He also grabs some more bolts.

Asmodeus
2007-04-10, 01:01 PM
Wrench

If at all possible, Wrench is going to try and retrieve one of those bolts, or at least get close enough to figure out if they are magical, or not burning for some other reason.

Resonance
2007-04-10, 02:15 PM
McCormick

Goes back into the hold to look to equip his suit with the proper weapons. Whatever he finds (occ: giant great-axe, gaint great-sword, xbow?...maybe a giant maul?) he takes.

As he leaves the hold he'll check up on Wrench, "What have you found my friend?"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Asmodeus
2007-04-10, 02:20 PM
Wrench

Wrench will reply "Their Elemental Ring has been damaged by either Ballista fire, or unusually large crossbow bolts. I can't tell yet if I can repair it, but I doubt it considering how much damage there is. The ammunition is either magical in nature, or else some inflamable material."

While he's up there, Wrench will try to evaluate what it would take to repair the airship.

Resonance
2007-04-10, 02:47 PM
McCormick

"Let me have a look at one of those projectiles Wrench."

[roll0] { OCC: Is there bardic knowledge in 3.5/Eberron? And would it apply here? }

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 04:19 PM
((AFAIK, bardic knowledge works normally in Eberron. Oh, and there are heavy crossbows, light repeating crossbows, and javelins))

Asmodeus
2007-04-10, 04:37 PM
{OOC: No one would mistake a javelin for a large Bolt. And all types of Crossbows use the same kind of Bolts. It might be possible to mistake a Ballista bolt for a large crossbow bolt.}

Not a Paladin
2007-04-10, 06:39 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike walks back into the airship and checks the hold for items.

(OoC: Search check: [roll0])

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-10, 09:38 PM
The ogre's only possession seems to be a piece of parchment with a pornographic image of another ogre drawn crudely on it.

Upon closer inspection, the huge crossbow bolts seem to carry some residual magic, as if they were fired from a magical weapon (doubt that's RAW but go with it).

The airship is a total loss- even a cursory examination would reveal that almost every component is damaged beyond repair. The ship's timbers are splintered, the elemtnal ring is a ruined mess. The cargo hold is still salvageable, but what would anyone want with an enormous dented metal box?

McCormick doesn't find any more weapons than have previously been discovered. Maybe whoever built these things has a larger variety of armaments.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 10:08 PM
((Any more of the suits?))

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-10, 10:11 PM
(Only six suits.)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 10:21 PM
Casfal shrugs and turns around to head into the forest.

Winged One
2007-04-10, 10:24 PM
Achille does not, in fact, show the scroll. Instead he drops it, blushing furiously. "Um...I don't think we want that. I shoulda known that was a stupid idea..." With that, he climbs back into the damaged Kothar and follows Casfal into the forest.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-10, 10:39 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike follows Casfal into the forest. "Well, we did not get any other items, but these suits are most likely enough. It is about time that we moved on."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-10, 10:43 PM
I was hoping there would be some way of throwing anyone who comes looking for these off our trai... Casfal stops as a thought occurs to him. He turns around and runs back to the cargo hold. Trying to remember where the suits were standing, he begins trying to make marks on the floor of the hold as if the suits had fallen out in midair.

Resonance
2007-04-11, 12:31 AM
McCormick

"As soon as he is done covering our 'tracks' I'd like everyone to move to the forest. He seems to know the way around here so we'll follow his lead."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-11, 11:43 AM
Casfal finishes making the skid marks and goes back into the forest. Can any of you set the grass around the crash on fire? It'll mask our footprints and hide the scent of these things.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-11, 05:18 PM
(You're all carrying giant axes that are covered in flames that are themselves composed of fiery axes, that are also on fire.

...or you, know, something along those lines.

...My point is, lighting the foliage probably won't present a problem.)

Winged One
2007-04-11, 05:20 PM
Self-imposed DC 1 Wisdom check: [roll0]

Winged One
2007-04-11, 05:24 PM
When Achille finishes strapping himself in, he draws his Bitchin' Flaming Axe Mark 1. Once everybody is clear, he lights the grass on fire, unless it's obvious that it would cause a bigger fire then is needed.

Use the previous WIS check to determine if he can tell that. At a higher DC, of course.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-11, 10:43 PM
(Sorry, I figured you guys could handle this on your own. ;))

The scorched foliage catches light quickly, though there's enough dewey grass between the crash site and the forest that there's no chance of that going up. In a few minutes an even bigger column of smoke is climbing into the sky- if anyone within eyeshot didn't notice the crash before, they do now.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-11, 10:46 PM
Casfal leads the way into the forest.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-11, 11:17 PM
The forest is ancient and deep, the foliage closes over and effectively hides the Kothars, though they find it difficult to move in between the trees (treat as difficult terrain). Aside from that, they should make pretty good time if they don't run into any more ogres.

Winged One
2007-04-11, 11:38 PM
Before following, Achille puts the axe away so as not to start a large forest fire and draw further attention to the area.

Asmodeus
2007-04-12, 07:42 AM
Wrench

Wrench follows along. He checks to see if its possible to free his arms and hands from the confines of the suit while still being able to walk with it properly. He doesn't particularly like having his hands so restricted.

If he manages to succeed,he'll keep himself busy by practicing some wood-carving as he walks through the forest.

Resonance
2007-04-12, 09:46 AM
McCormick

Looks at Wrench from time to time to keep an eye on him and make sure he's following along properly. He was smart, but needed a prod from time to time to make the right choices or follow along with the rest of the crowd. So far he seemed to be handling himself just fine. Oh, he wasn't stupid by any means... just not always... there.

He makes sure the others are following along... { OCC: AKA we haven't heard from a few members of the thread recently. }

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-12, 11:53 AM
(Point. What are Ike and Brute up to?)

Not a Paladin
2007-04-12, 05:08 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike follows a short distance behind the more durable members of the group, thinking to himself along the way.

I sure hope we're going the right way. This is just the sort of terrain that makes fighting as difficult as it can be, and any battles may cause us to forget where we came from. At least these suits are intimidating enough that a lot of monsters would leave us alone.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-13, 01:09 AM
(Let's see... I'm gonna get the spot checks out of the way.

...everybody make a spot check. And a will save. Just in case.)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-13, 01:12 AM
((Spot check [roll0]
Will save [roll1]))

Asmodeus
2007-04-13, 08:05 AM
Wrench

[roll0]
[roll1]

Wrench is apparently too engrossed in his tinkering to bother spotting anything that isn't within arm's reach. Fortunately for him, his mind is also too distracted to be enchanted with anything.

Winged One
2007-04-13, 09:39 AM
[roll0]
If a will save is required, initiate Moment of Perfect Mind(replaces a will save with a concentration check.
[roll1] I might have his modifier wrong.

Resonance
2007-04-13, 11:38 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Not a Paladin
2007-04-13, 05:42 PM
(OoC: Spot check: [roll0]
Will save: [roll1])

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-13, 11:05 PM
Through the line of trees up ahead the group can see what looks like a fuzzy hill with eight legs sucking the juices out of a donkey.

Ike is able to restrain himself from screaming in unholy terror, but a little bit of pee comes out.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-13, 11:09 PM
((Assuming we should roll Init...

Init [roll0]))

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-13, 11:15 PM
Casfal levels his crossbow and fires.

((Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] + Psionic Shot [roll2]))

((Oh, for the love of... every time I roll an attack...))

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-13, 11:20 PM
((Okay, I'm spending an action point on my attack roll.))

((Action Point [roll0]))

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-13, 11:20 PM
(Waits for the other players to post their actions. Plots exactly how badly Casfal's going to be ra- er, mauled.)

Not a Paladin
2007-04-14, 12:43 AM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike manages to draw his crossbow. Instead of attacking or even loading, however, he simply stares at his opponent. As he does so, a strange sound is heard, and for a moment the light moving in front of him is blurred slightly.

(OoC: Initiative: [roll0]
When my turn comes up, I draw my crossbow and manifest Force Screen, giving me a total AC of 26. I now have 2 power points left.)

Winged One
2007-04-14, 01:53 PM
[roll0]
Exactly how far away is the Bigass Spider of Doom?

Resonance
2007-04-14, 05:05 PM
[roll0]

McCormick

Sizes up the creature before taking any action against it. AKA: Holding action.

[roll1]

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-14, 08:43 PM
(The creature does in fact appear to be a hunting spider of the gargantuan variety. It is roughly fifty feet away.)

Winged One
2007-04-15, 12:11 AM
Achille works his way toward the spider, drawing his axe on the way. As the axe bursts into flame, he leaps even closer to his target.

Move/draw toward the spider, then initiate Sudden Leap(make a Jump check as a swift action).
[roll0]

Asmodeus
2007-04-16, 08:04 AM
Wrench
Surprise Round
Init: 17
AC: 21 (vt 9, ff 21) (-1 Size, 12 Armor)
HP: 8/8, Kothar HP: 30/30

Wrench will draw the battleaxe from the Kothar's armory.

[roll0]
{OOC: Roll count doesn't match because this was originally a full round action instead of a surprise round action.}

Resonance
2007-04-16, 01:43 PM
McCormick

Seeing that the group has a drop on the giant beastie takes care to arm and ready the Kothor's cross bow.

(OCC: I imagine having surprise may negate burning up around just looking at the stupid thing and pondering its existence for a few seconds before we knowingly look to have arachnid legs on the barby. )

Hoorex
2007-04-16, 03:57 PM
ooc:I'm sorry guys, school gave me little time to do much, but I'll be more reliable now.
Brute
"What the hell is that thing?!"
[roll0]

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-16, 04:20 PM
Casfal's crossbow bolt lodges itself in the spider's head. It whirls around with a horrific chittery scream, glaring balefully at the Kothar that just shot it.

(Order: Casfal-24
Brute-18
Wrench-17
Ike-13
McCormick-13
Spider- 7
Achille- 4

Go ahead and give me your second round actions.)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 04:26 PM
Casfal steps five feet back and attempts a Concentration check to regain his psionic focus.

Concentration - [roll0]

((:smallsigh:))

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 04:39 PM
((hey, wait a sec. I have a +4 bonus. If you'll let me reroll, then I get
[roll0]; if not, I got an 18))

((*cries*))

Asmodeus
2007-04-16, 04:57 PM
Wrench
Round 1
Init: 17
AC: 21 (vt 9, ff 21) (-1 Size, 12 Armor)
HP: 8/8, Kothar HP: 30/30

Wrench advances 40 ft towards the monster. He struggles through the terrain that hampers him from getting close enough to attack quickly. However, at the end of his effort, he is within range of hitting the beast with the flaming axe.

{OOC: I think you mean our first round actions, since that was a surprise round. Otherwise, I may have to shove WO into a pit of used hypodermic needles.

Also, difficult terrain sucks. At least I got 10 ft reach now, so I can attack first thing next turn.}

Not a Paladin
2007-04-16, 05:27 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike loads his crossbow and fires a bolt at the spider.

(OoC: Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Curse you, Runcible Spoon!)

Winged One
2007-04-16, 05:28 PM
Achille lost initiative so badly that I'm tempted to delay it into the next round, so I need to know what the spider does.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-16, 07:05 PM
(Well, the surprise round was the first round, it was just surprising. I guess? I dunno. Alright, let's call it the second round.)

Ike's crossbow bolt glances off the one already imbedded in the creature's head, spins through the air, and lands point first in the ground in front of the beast. It blinks at it for a second.

Hoorex
2007-04-16, 08:30 PM
Brute
Flexing his Kothar's metal joints, he'll scream, raging like a mad-man! His bloodthristy rage now in effect, the berserk tin-man trudges through the thick terrain, slowly making his way to the massive spider, his axe flailing about like hail storm.

Winged One
2007-04-16, 10:42 PM
That's nice. Going to take any actions in the suprise round and/or the first combat round besides raging, which is a free action?

Hoorex
2007-04-17, 08:44 AM
rolls
[roll0]

Resonance
2007-04-17, 11:09 AM
McCormick

Decides that the axe is the best approach for such a beast and re-holsters the cross bow.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-17, 08:08 PM
The spider's eyes take on an eerie green glow as it turns towards Brute and leaps at his Kothar, flailing with its legs and fangs. It scratches up the armor's paint job a bit, but doesn't suceed in dealing any real damage. Brute's axe cuts deeply into it, spraying purple-ish ichor, but the spider doesn't seem to register the damage.

(Wrench and Brute are now easily within reach of the spider, Casfal, you can take that 18, I guess. McCormick can walk up to the spider and attack on his next turn. Time for the next turn's actions. Ike, you gonna do anything this round?)

Not a Paladin
2007-04-17, 08:14 PM
(OoC: How far is the spider from me?)

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-17, 08:20 PM
(About thirty feet. *Will work on having a map next time. :P*)

Not a Paladin
2007-04-17, 08:24 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike loads another crossbow bolt and fires it. At the spider, that is.

(OoC: Attack with heavy crossbow: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Somehow, I doubt that that bolt hit. I don't know what kind of AC that spider is getting, though.)

Asmodeus
2007-04-17, 09:58 PM
{OOC: I assume since I was threatening, that I get an AoO when the spider jumped. Spider started at 50 ft away. I advanced 40 ft during round 1. 10 ft reach = threatening.}

Wrench
Round 1 cont.
Attack of Opportunity

Wrench attacks with the flaming battleaxe, using both hands for greater damage, as the spider jumps towards Brute.

[roll0]
Modifiers: 5 STR, -1 Size, +1 Enhancement
[roll1]
Modifiers 5 STR x 1.5
[roll2]

Edit: Forgot to add +1 Enhancement to Slashing Damage modifier. Actual total should be 12.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-17, 10:09 PM
Casfal reloads his crossbow and takes a five foot step back, designating the spider for the purposes of Dodge.

Winged One
2007-04-17, 11:47 PM
I meant Achille to move 20 feet, not 15; I forgot we had increased speed. Does that change anything? Also, did you take the results of Achilles jump toward the spider into account?

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-18, 06:42 PM
(Winged One: Go ahead and assume you can get within range, I guess. I might be stupid, but I can't really figure out what the jump was supposed to do?)

Winged One
2007-04-18, 06:46 PM
Just a regular long jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm), taken as a swift action instead of as part of movement. So basicly it was to move him 24 feet towards the spider's position(his other movement made it count as having a running start.

Hoorex
2007-04-18, 06:47 PM
Brute
Cocky because of his immense strength, the warforged gets ready for a devastating attack. Focusing on his target, he lets forth a onslaught of a blow upon the creatures thick hide!
((Power Attack, -1 to hit))
[roll0]
[roll1]

Winged One
2007-04-19, 05:29 PM
You can't Power Attack higher than your BAB, and we're level 1.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-19, 09:26 PM
Wrench and Brute deliver punishing blows to the spider, sending up further sprays of ichor, but also revealing something disturbing- beneath the exoskeleton and organic tissue, the spider is full of what looks supsiciously like metallic rods.

And instant later Ike's crossbow bolt impacts with the thing's body, and it explodes, sending pieces of shrapnel whizzing through the air like the birth of the universe. When the dust clears, pretty much everybody's Kothar is splattered with spider guts and so full of metal shards that they look like really messy porcupines.

(Ike and Brute's Kothars each take two points of damage, Wrench's takes three, and everyone else's takes one.)

Asmodeus
2007-04-19, 09:41 PM
Wrench

[roll0]

Wrench thinks for a moment, pondering what exactly that artificial spider could have been, and where it might have come from, or what its purpose was here.

Asmodeus
2007-04-19, 09:43 PM
{OOC: I am assuming that you took the Damage Reduction of our Kothars into account when you said we took damage.}

Also, Wrench will repair his own Kothar, which is the most severely damaged.

[roll0]

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-19, 09:48 PM
Wrench probably recognizes the spider's innards as being similar to anti-personnel weapons utilized during the Last War, but who would use it to weaponize a giant spider, not to mention how and why, are beyond him.

(Yeah, I took the damage reduction into account. Would have been a real short campaign without it. :P)

Not a Paladin
2007-04-19, 09:55 PM
(OoC: Holy crap.

Also, was it my crossbow bolt that exploded or the spider?)

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-19, 10:10 PM
(The spider. I can't imagine there's much left of your crossbow bolt now, though.)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-19, 10:14 PM
Casfal blinks and decides to take 20 on a Concentration check to regain his psionic focus.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-19, 10:20 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike examines the ex-spider in front of him. He seems to be interested in its parts. "Okay, what in Tira Miron's name was that?"

He then thinks that he should be doing something with his time, so he gets out of his Kothar and looks for anything that he might be able to salvage from the wreckage that was formerly a giant mechanical spider. "To think, I spent all those years in psionic training so that I might loot scrap metal from a giant spider."

(OoC: Search check: [roll0]

Also, how much XP is that kill worth?)

Winged One
2007-04-19, 10:52 PM
"Um, you really shouldn't blaspheme like that..." Achille says, in what is probably one of the most hypocritical statements of this particular day. He also climbs out of his own Kothar and looks for anything useful or valuable.
Take 10 on Search for 12.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-19, 11:05 PM
Ike d'Cannith

At Achille's comment, Ike replies, "I guess you're right. I should have said, 'What in the Five Nations was that?'"

Asmodeus
2007-04-20, 07:41 AM
Wrench

"Weaponized spider? The craftsmanship looks like the same kind that was used during the last war. Possibly from your House, Mr. d'Cannith.

I bet this spider was sent to the future, from the days of the last war... It was probably meant to be sent to the past, to kill the leader of the last war rebellion before he grew up to become the leader and was able to defend himself. Only someone made a mistake and sent it back to the future instead!

Maybe we can find a way to send it back to our old selves in the past, with some sort of record of the last few winners from the Race of the Four Winds, and become rich by betting on the winners."

Hoorex
2007-04-20, 08:34 AM
Brute
"It seems over creatures have been blessed with the title of "Living Construct", eh?"

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-20, 08:37 AM
The searching doesn't uncover much besides more metal fragments and the spider's truncated organs.

(I'd say that was worth another 300 xp. For the record, you guys might notice me being a little stingy with the treasure... which I hope to make up for with the fact that you're all piloting giant &^%!ing robots.)

Resonance
2007-04-20, 09:19 AM
McCormick

"Wrench, please check yourself for damage or head trauma immediately."

He looks at the axe his Kothar is wielding and with a sigh, "Guess I won't be needing this right now." He re-holsters it on the mechanized thing. "Wrench, the explanation of this is far simpler than you think. It has been here since it was put into service years ago. Given it's size it has grown for some time and has probably been terrorizing the forest and country side of this area for the better part of the last twenty to fifty years. Although, I do commend you for your creativity."

Asmodeus
2007-04-20, 09:27 AM
Wrench

"Oh... Well, I suppose that could explain it too."

Winged One
2007-04-20, 04:29 PM
Yes, I realize that the fact that we're piloting giant ****ing robots makes up for the lack of treasure, but our characters have no concept of the WBL guidelines.

Achille, clearly unused to somebody actually listening to such an objection, murmurs "Um, thanks." Unable to find anything, he climbs back into his Kothar, following whoever looks like they have a clue about the direction of Wroat.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-20, 08:35 PM
(Just making sure nobody felt slighted. ;) Someone tell me if you want to take an action before this next bit.)

A few minutes later the group hears a strange noise. Far above them there is a loud whirring noise that sounds quite a bit like something large hurtling through the air. Looking upwards, the holes that the spider's death throes have blasted in the foliage allow them to see a pair of huge glittering silver objects flying past. They look vaguely humanoid in shape, with great glistening angel wings, but they are too high for much more detail than that to be made out.

The objects bank to the left and come back around, but before you can determine if they're actively heading back towards you or not, a massive roaring noise literally causes the ground to tremble. With a noise that sounds like a cross between a lion's roar and the grinding of enormous gears, a metallic feline shape blasts into the sky, trailing green fire. It smashes into one of the flying objects and effortless tears it apart, showering the forest several hundred yards away with flaming debris.

The other flying object turns sharply and seems to fire a flaming projectile at the feline shape. The shape calmly dodges the projedctile and blasts through the other flying object, also reducing it to scrap. Releasing another roar, this one unmistakably triumphant in nature, it dives back earthwards. Judging by the arc of its descent, it's landing another several hundred yards ahead of you, within the forest between you and Wroat.

Resonance
2007-04-21, 02:18 AM
McCormick

"Uh...oh...harefh." If anyone cared to look at the man his mouth would be agape and his jaw working numbly to form words but they obviously escape him.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-21, 02:01 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike pauses for a moment, stunned by the battle he has just witnessed. Then he decides to say something. "Well, whatever that was, we should probably avoid it. It would most likely kill us just as easily as it destroyed those...machines. We wouldn't stand a chance."

Winged One
2007-04-21, 11:18 PM
Achille, too, is transfixed by the spectacular battle. "Um...right...should we keep our axes out in case it comes after us, or should we keep them sheathed and hope it doesn't notice us?" is all he can think of to answer Ike.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-22, 03:57 PM
Are we certain that the cat-like suit is an enemy? I mean after all, that airship was shot down by something, and if I had a flight-capable suit...

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-22, 10:13 PM
There is a small rush of woodland creatures headed in the opposite direction that the mechanical creature went. A squirrel drops a nut through the grating in Wrench's Kothar's helmet. It bounces off his head and lands in his lap.

The spider continues to congeal.

Asmodeus
2007-04-23, 07:51 AM
Wrench

Wrench tosses the nut away, and continues to wait for the group to decide what to do. He'll follow along with whatever they decide.

Resonance
2007-04-23, 12:49 PM
McCormick

"Well, given it's approximate distance from us, perhaps we can avoid it. Although with all the noise we make going through the underbrush I doubt we'll go unnoticed by much of anything."

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-23, 11:18 PM
Casfal begins moving off in the direction they were originally headed, manifesting defensive precognition.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-24, 12:28 PM
The forest thins somewhat as they move- the undergrowth clears, and the trees split into what appears to be a makeshift road of some sort- no doubt the result of some natural disaster in the distant past. The scar in the trees leads more or lest due west towards Wroat, but after a few hours of walking, what seems to be a small lake appears on the horizon. On the shore of it, you can just make out what looks like some variety of large metallic object, though the details are impossible to determine from this distance.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-24, 02:24 PM
Casfal continues to head west toward Wroat and the object.

Winged One
2007-04-24, 02:33 PM
Achille, having an exceptionally underdeveloped metaphorical spine, follows Casfal.

Asmodeus
2007-04-24, 02:41 PM
Ditto for wrench.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-24, 08:17 PM
By the time you get close enough to see that the large metallic object seems to be the feline shape you saw before, it might not have heard you approaching. In fact, it just seems to be lying there by the shore of the lake, fairly inanimately.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-24, 09:07 PM
Casfal pauses, mentally cursing the lack of communication gear in the suits.

Asmodeus
2007-04-24, 09:17 PM
Wrench

Being the curious sort, Wrench continues on, oblivious of the potential danger. He is going to walk right up to the feline metal thing, should nothing happen to stop him.

Not a Paladin
2007-04-24, 09:49 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike enters the clearing near the lake. "I keep saying that this is not a good idea-" He notices that the feline suit is not threatening the group in any way midway through his rant. "Well...that settles some of my fears, but maybe it is just missing its pilot at the-" He then notices that Wrench is approaching it, and calls out, "Wait! That thing might still be hostile!"

What manner of devilry awaits us now?

Winged One
2007-04-24, 10:02 PM
Achille goes with Wrench, thinking that the worforged will need his help if the suit becomes hostile in the middle of his examination.

Asmodeus
2007-04-24, 10:10 PM
Wrench

As soon as Ike calls 'wait', Wrench will stop and look back at the rest of the party.

Resonance
2007-04-25, 01:01 PM
McCormick

Grits his teeth and curses quietly. |Oh well, I guess we die here and now.| He begins muttering prayers under his breath.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-25, 05:20 PM
The mechanical beast is truly a work of art, a great lion rendered in perfectly sculpted metal. Its armor seems to have been constructed of mithral or a substance very similar to it, and the entirety of the creation is covered in delicate scrollwork and skillfully carved details. Its mane is constructed of beautifully polished gold, and the beast's eyes are like great emerald windows.

It remains silent until the clearing is approached, but as Wrench and Achille approach it suddenly rises to its feet and turns towards them.

A voice speaking a strange language apparently stops it from attacking. At the edge of the lake, hitherto hidden by the lion's paws, is a tall man dressed in an elaborate golden robe. He slowly turns towards you, revealing slightly pointed ears, slitted golden cat-like eyes, and shoulder length black hair. He ***** his head to the side, observing you curiously, before making another statement in what might be the same language. None of you have any idea what it might be.

Asmodeus
2007-04-25, 07:22 PM
Wrench

Wrench raises one hand on the Kothar, and waves it at the man, raising his voice as he shouts "Hello there!"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-25, 07:25 PM
Casfal, who instinctively raised his crossbow when the cat creature stood, lowers it. He raises his Kothar's other hand into the air and takes a step forward.

Winged One
2007-04-25, 07:28 PM
"Um...do you speak any other languages?" Achille asks the odd man.

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-25, 09:41 PM
(I just feel the need to state, for the record, that I continue to find it hilarious that the wordfilter filters that particular synonym for "tilt". It makes my post look so much dirtier than it is.)

The corners of the man's mouth twitch upwards as he awkwardly replicates your hand-waving motion.

"Oh... hello? Forgive me, I am still learning your language. How you say... what is up?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-26, 12:07 PM
Casfal gets out of his Kothar. We're on our way to Wroat, to deliver these, he gestures at the suits. We saw what your cat did to those flying things. Very impressive, he adds.

Resonance
2007-04-26, 12:19 PM
McCormick

Listens to the first few phrases of the mans language to see if he recognizes the dialect.

[roll0]

He decides that he cannot make heads or tails of the region the man may have come from. McCormick looks over the mechanized lion, "Is this of your construction?" He walks his Kothar closer to the man and the machine, once close enough he starts getting out of the Kothar's belts and buckles to examine it more closely.

Resonance
2007-04-26, 12:25 PM
[roll0]

Specifically looking at the scroll work to see if I recognize the craftsmanship.

Which is a definite no...

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-26, 07:49 PM
The man smiles and pats the lion's paw. It makes a sort of purring noise.

"Ah yes, Leonidas is a great and powerful warrior. I would be proud if I had made him, but no, he is the legacy of Abel, the greatest magecrafter the world has ever known. The flying mechanoids might have known this and spared their lives, but they attacked me before I could explain to them that they courted certain death. I imagine their leader on the ground was less than pleased, for he ran before I could met out the same punishment upon him."

The man's accent is bizarre- it sound vaguely elven, but he places too much emphasis on his consonants, which makes it sound like he's used to speaking giant. The language he spoke before, though, had no words in common with either of those tongues.

The scrollwork on his lion similarly resembles nothing McCormick has ever seen before.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-26, 08:01 PM
Where are you from?

Asmodeus
2007-04-26, 08:25 PM
Wrench

Wrench is going to approach Leonidas and examine the scrollwork to see if he recognizes it, or the craftsmanship. "Mr. d'Cannith, is this work of your house? It is masterfully done!"

[roll0]

Not a Paladin
2007-04-26, 08:28 PM
Ike d'Cannith

Ike turns to Wrench. "I do believe that our ally here has already stated otherwise."

He then turns to the man, asking, "What is your name, good sir?"

Winged One
2007-04-26, 08:40 PM
"Um...what's a mechanoid?" Achille asks.

Asmodeus
2007-04-26, 08:47 PM
{OOC: D'oh! I missed that piece of information. Oh well. It fits well with Wrench.}

Wrench

Looking embarassed, Wrench says 'Oh yea. I forgot already."

He looks at the construct and says to the stranger "Can I pet him? He looks like a nice kitty."

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-26, 09:16 PM
Leonidas gives Wrench a look similar to what you might give to a wad of gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

The strange man sweeps a lock of hair out of his eyes. "I am called Anavel. I come from the south. I must admit, sir, I am surprised you don't know what a 'mechanoid' is. You are piloting one."

Resonance
2007-04-27, 09:17 AM
McCormick

"These are not Kothar? The name was writ on the wall of the hold... the ship captain... oh by the Gods!" YOU FOOL! McCormick screamed inside his mind. You do the House no service by showing your hand openly. Now you must lay your cards down and play them out, idiot. "Sorry, Leonidas has me rather impressed and I do forget myself." Because I'm an idiot! "You said these suites are called mechanoids?"

Winged One
2007-04-27, 09:26 AM
"Um...maybe Kothar is the name of the kind of mechanoid these are? Like, um, a falchion is a type of sword?"

Resonance
2007-04-27, 10:57 AM
"Ah yes, that would make sense. Sorry I got so upset... I was beginning to confuse myself."

[roll0]

Magnus_Samma
2007-04-27, 09:11 PM
Leonidas lets out a low rumble not unlike a purr and settles back down onto the ground, though it continues to watch the party like a hawk. Or... like a lion, maybe.

Anavel strokes his chin as he looks at the machines. "It is entirely possible. I'm not familiar with that particular make of machine, however. They look rather... small. No offense intended, of course. Are you lads warriors in training?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-28, 09:11 PM
Not quite. We salvaged these from a wrecked airship, and we're currently taking them to their intended destination, in accordance with the dying wishes of the last surviving crewmember.

Winged One
2007-04-28, 09:37 PM
"Um...I used to be..."

Resonance
2007-05-01, 12:21 PM
"So, what brings you out here so deep in these woods? And why were those things after you?"

[roll0]

Resonance
2007-05-01, 12:57 PM
odd network double post...

Magnus_Samma
2007-05-01, 08:20 PM
Anavel nods contemplatively as he climbs up onto Leonidas' front paw.

"Me? I'm simply exploring. I'm not sure why anyone would bother attacking me, really, but I rather think those particular men though I was allied with one of their enemies. Which is rather silly."

He points to the woods behind you. "By the way, do you know them?"

The troupe of ogres sneaking through the underbrush pause and collectively slap themselves over the face.

Not a Paladin
2007-05-01, 09:03 PM
Ike d'Cannith

"Looks like we need to cut this conversation short, as it appears that we are being ambushed." Ike draws his battleaxe and prepares for a fight. He briefly wonders if these ogres knew the one that was killed earlier by the group, but he dismisses the thought.

(OoC: I'm assuming that you want an initiative roll? [roll0])

Magnus_Samma
2007-05-01, 09:19 PM
There are five ogres spread in a rough skirmish line approximately thirty feet behind you. They were apparently hoping to get the drop on you, but that's pretty much a bust now.

(Initiative rolls are probably called for, yeah. Feel free to describe your action/s for the first round as well.)

Not a Paladin
2007-05-01, 09:27 PM
Ike d'Canntih

Ike turns his Kothar around, runs up to the nearest ogre, and slashes it with his vehicle's axe.

(OoC:I charge the nearest ogre, assuming that we're in a clearing.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

My AC is temporarily reduced to 21.)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-01, 10:01 PM
Casfal curses and climbs up into his Kothar, trying to strap himself in.

((Initiative - [roll0]))

Asmodeus
2007-05-01, 10:08 PM
Wrench
HP: 8/8 (Kothar 30/30)
AC: 21 (vt 9: ff21)

[roll0]

Wrench arms himself with the battleaxe, and readies himself to attack any Ogre who gets close enough.

Winged One
2007-05-01, 10:37 PM
Achille
AC 20 in Punishing Stance, 22 normally
HP 14/14, Mech 27/30
[roll0]
"Um...no, we don't. Excuse me."
Unless the ogres give some convincing indication that they do not intend to attack, Achille moves toward the middle of their line in his Kothar, drawing the axe as he goes. Showing as much skill as he shows confidence in the mechanoid's defensive capabilities, he slashes at one with the axe in a two-handed grip, then reverses it as soon as it has done it's damage, slaming it into another ogre.
Move action: Move 30 feet to a proper position to initiate Steel Wind, and draw weapon.
Swift action: Go into Punishing Stance(+1d6 damage on melee attacks, -2 AC)
Standard action: Initiate Steel Wind(attack 2 enemies as a standard action, resolved seperately) Not power attacking.
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
If we're still on Difficult Terrain, Achille will not go into a Punishing Stance, but will instead initiate Sudden Leap(make a Jump check as a swift action, move the ammount indicated)
[roll9]

Winged One
2007-05-01, 10:39 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Resonance
2007-05-02, 10:07 AM
McCormick

At seeing the Ogresesocs he draws his rapier and readies himself.

[roll0]

{ for next round if there is one }

Will close distance on the nearest Orc and attack.
[roll1]

Winged One
2007-05-02, 12:28 PM
They're ogres, not orcs. By the way, if they move, Achille will instead move to position himself so that he threatens at least 2 ogres. Also, I forgot to use 1.5 STR instead of just STR for damage, since he's attacking 2-handed. So that's 9 more damage on that crit, and 3 more damage on the other one. Finally, if his movement provokes an AoO, remember that he moved into his Punishing Stance after movement, so the ogres have to hit his regular AC instead of his reduced AC.

Magnus_Samma
2007-05-02, 05:27 PM
(Uh, McCormick, are you not in your Kothar? And if you aren't, do you want to rethink your action?)

Resonance
2007-05-03, 01:58 PM
{ There, realized what was going wrong here. Hilarity shall ensue rather than squishiness. }

After drawing his sword and taking stock of the situation, being out of the Kothar, McCormick will do what any sane person would do when faced with one ogre, never mind the other four! He will run and hide behind the lion.

Magnus_Samma
2007-05-03, 07:52 PM
Ike delivers a punishing blow, but the ogre just barely dodges it, retaliating with a vicious double-handed blow that badly dents the Kothar's armor.

One of the ogres advances on Wrench, scowling and levelling a blow at the warforged's armor's head. It strikes with enough force to make the entire mobile suit stumble, but leaves little real damage.

Achille's leap carries him into the main group. His first blow cleaves off his opponent's arm, leaving him unconscious and bleeding on the ground. The second ogre is cut deeply through the stomach, but manages to deliver a returning blow, though it simply glances off the Kothar's armor.

The fifth ogre, laughing cruelly, rushes towards Casfal. Anavel, however, exclaims in his strange language, and Leonidas leaps forward and pounces on the ogre like a cat attacking a rabbit. The creature screams horrifically as the mechanical beast tears it open.

(Ike's Kothar takes 10 dmg and Wrench's takes 3. Time for the next round boys and... uh, boys.)