PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Random stuff with time stop (and black holes)

Frostthehero
2015-01-27, 01:13 PM
Hey, the description of time stop says something along the lines of "you speed up, and everyone else seems to stop" (I'd get the book, but I'm way too lazy). Anyway, the question is, how fast does it make you go? I know that this would seem to happen at 0.9c (90% of the speed of light) but what is the minimum speed for something like this to happen? And then, another question is raised... What would happen if you time stopped under the effects of a time stop? Would you speed up enough to actually pass the speed of light, or at least get close to it? As some of you may know, as you approach the speed of light, your mass increases exponentially. At what point do you become a black hole? could you create a superweapon?

Bad Wolf
2015-01-27, 01:24 PM
Hey, the description of time stop says something along the lines of "you speed up, and everyone else seems to stop" (I'd get the book, but I'm way too lazy). Anyway, the question is, how fast does it make you go? I know that this would seem to happen at 0.9c (90% of the speed of light) but what is the minimum speed for something like this to happen? And then, another question is raised... What would happen if you time stopped under the effects of a time stop? Would you speed up enough to actually pass the speed of light, or at least get close to it? As some of you may know, as you approach the speed of light, your mass increases exponentially. At what point do you become a black hole? could you create a superweapon?

I think this calls for Emperor Tippy himself.

*draws summoning circle*

I'll need someone to provide the sacrifice.

MilesTiden
2015-01-27, 01:40 PM
The answer to your questions is magic and magic respectively. Don't go down this path. It only leads to madness, stupidity, and dead catgirls. (Also, you can't Time Stop within a Time Stop. I forget why, but I remember it not working for some reason.)

EDIT: Also, seriously? You're too lazy to get the PHB, or look at the SRD? Really?

Deophaun
2015-01-27, 01:49 PM
If physics was involved, you would be moving fast enough to light the atmosphere on fire and cause massive shockwaves. As these are not listed as side-effects of the spell, we can assume physics are safely suspended and any talk about moving faster or slower than light is misguided.

For that matter, you'd also be blind under it, because light always moves at the same speed relative to you, only the frequency changes. So, you'd only be able to perceive what to us are gamma rays as visible light, but gamma rays are blocked by the upper atmosphere. Again, since the spell doesn't say you cease to see anything, physics doesn't hold.

kaffalidjmah
2015-01-27, 02:26 PM
0.9c? Where? You go just 5 time faster, not 5 billion. Think an easy way. Standard speed is 36 meter / 6 second (running). It mean 6 meter per second. Speed of light is 3*10^8 meter per second. If you cast time stop you just do a times 5 for your speed. Random math, IF time stop inside time stop is allowed (i too remember that you can't but i can't remember where) you have to cast it...mmm...around 12/13 times to reach that kind of speed. Most probably you will just burn yourself against the atmosphere, maybe the heath will consume stuff around for 3/400 meters, not other side effect

SiuiS
2015-01-27, 03:55 PM
Nothing happens based on relativity. Even if you assume D&D has speed of light and physics, which is NOT a given, the specifics of the spell clearly outweigh the general background, as you only assume physics exists when there is not a game rule clearly telling you what happens.

There are game rules clearly telling you what happens. Light speed need not apply.

Let's also be fair here. This is a suspension of disbelief issue. The old time stop stopped everything but but you, frozen, as you removed yourself from the time stream. The only reason they made it "you gotta go fast" is because people threw a for because physics. If people are still throwing fits because physics? Too bad. Fool us once.

Time is not a matter of perception. Relativity and special relativity do not exist. Time is a literal dimension in the "from dimension X" sense, another layer of reality and a physical place that exists. Time stop messes with reality and physics by injecting bubbles of the elemental plane of time into physical reality, not by accelerating or decelerating anything.

Inevitability
2015-01-27, 04:08 PM
Infinite speed. You can chain Persisted Time Stops after Persisted Time Stop (or use the Swiftblade ability) to spend what amounts to infinite time in your little time stop, and nothing would change in the 'non-stopped world'.

Karl Aegis
2015-01-27, 04:34 PM
Friction would burn you to a crisp before you ever became a black hole.

Frostthehero
2015-01-27, 05:36 PM
0.9c? Where? You go just 5 time faster, not 5 billion. Think an easy way. Standard speed is 36 meter / 6 second (running). It mean 6 meter per second. Speed of light is 3*10^8 meter per second. If you cast time stop you just do a times 5 for your speed. Random math, IF time stop inside time stop is allowed (i too remember that you can't but i can't remember where) you have to cast it...mmm...around 12/13 times to reach that kind of speed. Most probably you will just burn yourself against the atmosphere, maybe the heath will consume stuff around for 3/400 meters, not other side effect

I'm confused, where does the 5 times rule come from? We are talking about time stop, not running...

Friction would burn you to a crisp before you ever became a black hole.

I would argue against this one. We can assume that the particles around you would also be accelerated to the same speed, otherwise, instead of burning me to a crisp EVERY PARTICLE I TOUCHED WOULD UNDERGO NUCLEAR FUSION AND EXPLODE.

What I'm hearing here is that physics does not apply. This makes me sad, as it removes any chance of physics related game obliterations. Too bad.

kaffalidjmah
2015-01-27, 05:55 PM
I'm confused, where does the 5 times rule come from? We are talking about time stop, not running...

(another quote)

I would argue against this one. We can assume that the particles around you would also be accelerated to the same speed, otherwise, instead of burning me to a crisp EVERY PARTICLE I TOUCHED WOULD UNDERGO NUCLEAR FUSION AND EXPLODE.

What I'm hearing here is that physics does not apply. This makes me sad, as it removes any chance of physics related game obliterations. Too bad.

i assume 5 times because time stop give you 1d4+1 round. if optimized you can maximize the "duration" of the spell to 5 round.

second: you cannot accelerate a particle if you aren't accelerated to that level, and the energy conservation still exist. so when every particle near you go up for the fusion point (more likely go for trasforming into light) you go for the fusion point too (more likely you go for light trasformation too, but i suppose you are at 0.99c or similar). but this is a question related to physic and magic, so my question is, how physic and magic interact in your world?

Frostthehero
2015-01-29, 09:58 PM
second: you cannot accelerate a particle if you aren't accelerated to that level, and the energy conservation still exist. so when every particle near you go up for the fusion point (more likely go for trasforming into light) you go for the fusion point too (more likely you go for light trasformation too, but i suppose you are at 0.99c or similar).

I totally agree. I never said I wouldn't blow up as well. What I was trying to say here was that I saw the point other people were making which was that because nuclear fusion, etc. is not listed as a side effected of the spell, it simply just isn't.

Psyren
2015-01-29, 11:32 PM
What I'm hearing here is that physics does not apply.

What was your first clue? :smalltongue:

i assume 5 times because time stop give you 1d4+1 round. if optimized you can maximize the "duration" of the spell to 5 round.

But this doesn't really work either. Even though a round is 6 seconds, we have reason to believe 6 seconds in D&D does not mean the same thing it does here - after all, in that 6 seconds you can cram NI free actions, and several things are a free action in D&D that take considerably longer here, e.g. Commoner Railgun.

LooseCannoneer
2015-01-29, 11:35 PM
Physics doesn't apply here, otherwise the commoner railgun would work.

Psyren
2015-01-29, 11:41 PM
Physics doesn't apply here, otherwise the commoner railgun would work.

Precisely!

Invader
2015-01-29, 11:55 PM
The answer to your questions is magic and magic respectively. Don't go down this path. It only leads to madness, stupidity, and dead catgirls. (Also, you can't Time Stop within a Time Stop. I forget why, but I remember it not working for some reason.)

EDIT: Also, seriously? You're too lazy to get the PHB, or look at the SRD? Really?

I'd say it falls under the same spell effects don't stack rule. Like putting two walls of fire on top of each other doesn't double the damage.

Belial_the_Leveler
2015-01-30, 07:24 AM
Instantaneous effects (such as damage) do stack fine.

As for Time Stop and physics, you might as well use this description;

This spell appears to accelerate your personal time frame to the point that the rest of the world seems to stand still. What it really does is provide enough energy to increase the rate of all motion and reactions that are directly part of you by a factor of 10.000x for 20 objective seconds. This is enough for your accelerated mental processing to see the world effectively stopped, and for the rest of the world to not notice your actions as for them they only lasted 1/500 of a second.
Furthermore, the spell extends this effect to any object you attempt to consciously affect, pulling it to your own apparent "speed" for as long as you're trying to affect it but letting it return to normal when your influence no longer applies. This allows you to move and breathe without problems, leave normal tracks, pick up or break objects, open doors, and so on and so forth - but also has the drawback of your being normally harmed by fire, gases and harmful liquids you expose yourself to.
Last but not least, the spell has a safety feature; it absorbs back excess energy that would otherwise result in your sped-up movement to cause untold destruction to your surroundings limiting their effects to what you would normally cause at your standard speeds, and entirely cancels all effects your actions would have on sentient beings. On the plus side, simply walking around wouldn't cause craters at your every step or you to burn up from friction. On the minus side, other sentient beings are invulnerable to your actions too.

atemu1234
2015-01-30, 07:55 AM
I think this calls for Emperor Tippy himself.

*draws summoning circle*

I'll need someone to provide the sacrifice.

Will all the poor, dying catgirls count?