PDA

View Full Version : Melee Items Help

bootzin
2015-01-27, 02:13 PM
Hey guys, so.. I've been making a build for an INT based melee character, and I think I've decided the build levels, but I'd like you to give me some advices on it and help me with the best items for me to get. The feat progression is based of PF, but no flaws are allowed.

Here is the build:
Name: Kato Gensai
Race: Middle Age Gray Elf
Initial Stats: 11/16/9/16/7/9
Stats after modifiers: 10/17/8/19/8/10

Level
Class
Notes
Feat(s)

Factotum 1
Steady beginning with lots of skill points and Int to HP. Maxing Iaijutsu Focus as it is the mains skill of this build. Going for Weapon Groups rule variant, aiming for the following groups: Basic Weapons, Exotic Weapons, Light Blades, Heavy Blades (Elf), Bows (Elf), Slings and Thrown Weapons and Flails and Chains. Adding the Quickrazor in the Light Blades category, as it will be this build main weapon
Faerie Mysteries Initiate

Hit and Run Fighter 1
Getting Dex to dmg against flat-footed targets and also receiving +2 on initiative checks
Combat Reflexes

Sleeping Tiger Monk 1
Going for the Decisive Strike ACF. Getting IUS and Weapon Finesse (Quickrazor) as bonus feats here.
Carmendine Monk

Sleeping Tiger Monk 2
Invisible Fist ACF here, Improved Initiative as a bonus feat. Add one on that DEX.
-

Warblade 1
Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Wall of Blades, Steel Wind for Maneuvers. One White Raven Stance to qualify for White Raven Tatics. INT to Reflex Saves is useful. As well as Aptitude
Quick Draw

Factotum 2
Only good thing here is that you're able to max Iaijutsu Focus again without spending cross-class ranks
-

Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1
Pounce. Pounce for your life. Also, the Whirling Frenzy rage variant allows you an extra attack that can be used on AoOs, which will be really useful now that you have Mercurial Strike
Mercurial Strike

Wolf Totem Barbarian 2
This is here for Improved Trip. Tripped enemies must get up, and they provoke when doing so. The Ability Point here goes for INT.
-

Factotum 3
BRAINS OVER BRAWNS. At this point you should have +2(Fighter)+4(Improved Init)+4(DEX)+5(INT) to your Initiative, which is pretty good. And all those STR and DEX skills uses INT now. So do those trip checks. And you start dual wielding Quickrazors. You can also cast Grease to flat-foot enemies.
Two-Weapon Fighting

Swordsage 1
On this level you gain Weapon Focus with every weapon of a chosen discipline. You could talk your DM into adding Quickrazor to one of them, or say that you receive one WF for each weapon, and retrain one of them with warblade. Maneuvers go for the Diammond Mind Save Counters, except Reflex, Distracting Ember and Feigned Opening. Maybe Flashing sun and Clever positioning too. Child of the Shadow Stance.
-

Swordsage 2
Assassin's Stance, definitely. The main stance of this build. Death from Above, Searing Charge and Bounding Assault sound reasonable for Maneuvers
Craven

Warblade 2
IHS or Whit Raven Tatics, any of them are good. Uncanny Dodge is also useful.
-

Eternal blade 1
Plenty of good bonuses here. Blade Guide is a hard-to-hit constant Flanking bonus you get, and Eternal Training is a great ability and lasts the whole combat. Mithral Tornado for the maneuver, probably.
Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

Eternal Blade 2
Guided Strike is pretty awesome since it has no limit use/day, lasts a whole round and ignores any DR. Probably swap Steel Wind for something.
-

Eternal Blade 3
Improved Uncanny Dodge that works while wearing medium or heavy armor. Too bad ou don't use any. Another daily use of eternal training is awesome. Dancing Mongoose is really nice at this level.
Double Hit

Warblade 3
Swap Wall of blades for Manticore Parry. INT to critical confirmation is ok.
-

Warblade 4
Kinda dead level, wasn't for the feat. A new stance is nice
Planar Touchstone (Oxyrhynchus)

Warblade 5
You get a bonus feat from a small list here. Grab Quick Draw and retrain your "old" Quick Draw for Knowledge Devotion. Quicksilver Motion is a nice maneuver
-

Warblade 6
Avalanche of Blades. Pretty neat maneuver.

Warblade 7
RAGING MONGOOSE. I wanted to make this bigger, but it would mess the table. Really nice maneuver that gives you 4 extra attacks at your highest BAB with swift action activation. Use it on a charge.
-

* Free feat slot. Good options are Mage Slayer (You won't be able to cast spells with Arcane Dilettante), Leadership, which is a must if you are in a high optimized campaign, Robilar's Gambit, which would increase your AoO potential and most probably: Snap Kick, for an additional attack even during AoOs.

I don't really know where to spend the other 3 Ability points from level. Both INT and DEX seem like good options, advices welcomed.

So, this is my build. I have to spend money on 2 books to grant the +5 inherent bonus to DEX and INT, and also on the +6 items.

I thought about getting a Ghost Shroud to get +4 AC bonus and Ghost touch on weapons, as I won't be wearing any armor.

I also wanted Bracers of Armor +8, but maybe I could add this enhancement to something else, such as Greatreach Bracers or Armbands of might.

Battle Belt also seems like a good idea, and maybe put another enhancement on it, such as Healing Belt.

I also wanted to get a Thicket of Blades item, because it gives me plenty of AoOs

A way of flying to get flying enemies is needed. Probably Third Eye Concealment as well

Anyone knows any other items that I must have? I'd like some advice as I have no idea of which magical items are worth getting, specially in a build like this. Also, please tell me what do you think of the build (:

-----EDIT-----

If I get gloves of the Balanced Hands can I throw TWF or ITWF from my build away? They're (Specially ITWF) kind of a nuisance, but are Prereq for Double Hit

Also, I forgot to mention, but I intend to get Valorous and Speed Weapon Enhancements, and a +10 Iaijutsu Focus item.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-27, 02:51 PM
Looking at end game items, I recommend the Belt of Magnificence from Miniatures Handbook. 200k for +6 to all stats. If you plan on getting each of the +6 items, they total up to 216k, so you can save some money, but you have to spend your cash all in one chunk for the belt. If you don't plan on getting at least one of the stat items though, then getting the other 5 individually is cheaper.

edit: Also, check out this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) guide. Make sure you meet the majority of those requirements. This one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-%28Equipment-Handbook%29) has more items, and this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook) can help with TWFing.