PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Mechanical Device table for my game

Verikus
2015-01-27, 06:17 PM
I had a need for something that fit the theme of my campaign(s) area and an NPC I wanted to pan out and give someone for my Neutral/Chaotic characters to 'care' about.
I developed a mechanical weapon/device system that I intend on using, just wanted your thoughts, and if you had any ideas for what else to implement (or fix things like the ballista, which I just guessed at for damage/range), or just help me fine tune it (Prices, damages, effects, maintenance requirements, etc)

I was trying to reflect that they have benefits similar to magical weapons, but are much more reliably found (I.E. you buy them straight out), and have a maintenance/malfunction mechanic to them that isn't cumbersome .

It's a lot so thanks in advance for reading:

Brelli The Artificer Wares
Complexity level

Simple- 1D3 days to build, at least 500 GP. Requires oiling weekly, cleaning and oiling after use. 5% chance of malfunction
Complex- 1D2 weeks to build, at least 3,000 GP. Requires oiling every 3 days. Oil and clean after use. Maintenance every 4-5 months. 10% chance of malfunction.

Intricate- 2D4 weeks to build, at least 7,000 GP. Requires oiling within daily. Requires cleaning within 3 hours of use and weekly. Oil and clean after use. Maintenance every month. 15% chance of malfunction.

Improper maintenance pushes malfunction chance +5% per missed recommendation. If it ever malfunctions the chances increase 10% per malfunction until Brelli can perform maintenance on it (for a fee of course).

Malfunction!
D100 (or 2D10 if yo will), Higher is worse
1-20%, *Click, Click, there it goes* No issue but malfunction penalties apply
21-30% *Click, Click…hit it?* Doesn’t work, but can Troubleshoot. DC 10+Dex
31-40% *Click, Clank, Rattle* Doesn’t work, but can Troubleshoot. DC 15+Dex
41-50% *Clank, Snap, Rattle* Doesn’t work, but can Troubleshoot. DC 20+Dex
51-70% *SNAP! Oh no…* Doesn’t work, a random component (or the weapon portion) fly off at a random target (50/50 Friend/Foe, ranged attack no bonuses). Can Field Repair DC 25+Dex/Craft skill
71-90% *SPRING CRACK POP* Doesn’t work, the device is broken and parts have fallen out of it or are stuck completely. Can be repaired by Brelli for 10-25% of cost based on damage.
91-100% *KAPOW!* Device completely explodes in parts, user takes 1D4 damage, Reflex negates. Device is unrepairable.

Troubleshoot-

With a quick tap, smack, or careful twist the device might work as intended. Free action to overcome some Malfunctions. If successful device works with no issue. If failed apply *SPRING CRACK POP* effect to device.

Field Repair-

Full Action, otherwise same as Troubleshoot. May take 20 to add further +5 to roll.

Wares-

Simple Devices

Arm/Wrist Mounted Spring Loaded Weapon- On initial strike adds +2 to hit, deals extra 1D6 damage. Reset is full round action (half round with Quick Draw). Dagger 500 GP, Short Sword, 700 GP, Long Sword 900 GP

Wrist Mounted Hand Crossbow- Same as hand crossbows, do not take up ‘hand’ space. Load is half round (per). 600 GP each.

Repeating Wrist Mounted Hand Crossbow- Same as hand crossbows, do not take up ‘hand’ space. Fires 5 shots before reload needed. Full round action (per) to load new clip. 1000 GP. Custom side fed clips are 50 GP per (not included)

Grapple Launcher (Carry and reel 500 LBS)- Launches a grapple up to 50 feet, can ‘reel’ user up about 1 foot per second.

Retraction Shaft- Shaft that allows a great weapon to be concealed as if it were a short sword. If used when swung add +4 to hit. Full round to reset (half round with quick draw). 500 GP

Extendable Shield- Same as heavy steal shield but counts as concealed until deployed (free action). If deployed when an enemy goes to strike adds +2 to AC (on top of added shield bonus). Full round to reset shield.

Complex Devices

‘Rattler’ Crossbow- Heavy crossbow that has a circular clip fed in the side. Clip carries 15 arrows. Cranks in a circle and fires 1D4 bolts per round until clip runs out. 2 full actions to reload. May use ‘Troubleshoot’ with a DC of 10+Dex to do it in 1 round. 3000 GP, 150 GP per clip.

Repeating Ballista- Siege weapon, Large 6 bolt clip. Fires with ‘man’ operated crank on side. Requires multiple people to set up. Does 10D6 damage, 400 Feet range, Ranged attack -6 unless trained. With 2 people takes 2 rounds to reload, 4 it takes 1 round. 8000 GP

Extendable Chain Shaft- Allows a weapon to have its’ reach extended by 5 feet(free action), and then wielded like a flail until retracted (half turn). Upon extension add +4 to hit, if hits will hit 1 other target in its’ arc (within 5 feet).

Liquid Dispenser- Releases liquid contained in the hit of the weapon (Dagger, sword, spear) as a free action. Has slots for 3 different vials to be released separately (usually with a thumb in the upper part of the hilt), must be angled down to allow proper dispersion of liquid. Reloading the hilt is a full round action per vial. 4000 GP.

Replaceable Weapon- Comes as a set: Hilt that can have the ‘pointy end’ of a long sword, morning star, battle axe head, dagger, or a flail. All these attachments are Master-Crafted but only usable with the hilt. Includes harness to change weapon as a half action (free action with quick draw)

Intricate Devices
*None so far*

That's the gist of it. There is only one person (well Gnome) who makes them and she prefers 'need to know' customers, hence the price tags, but if something seems out of place please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Karl Aegis
2015-01-27, 07:15 PM
Any particular reason why you can't use a punching dagger with your wrist mounted spring contraption?

Verikus
2015-01-27, 07:30 PM
Any particular reason why you can't use a punching dagger with your wrist mounted spring contraption?

No reason at all, I forgot about it actually (and that was actually the weapon that inspired it in the first place)