PDA

View Full Version : Light the Signal: Team Alpha

BlackestOfMages
2015-01-27, 07:51 PM
It was just a stupid rumour.

It had been floating around the campus since before you all started, the requisite spooky rumours for any boarding school, and even in a school for super-humans, this one was just silly. The rumour that there was something in the disused dorm behind the mechanics building. That people who went there at midnight came back changed, like someone else was in there, or they didn't come back at all

no-one had believed it, until Kary Bateman and Mellissa Junes from your home room class had, on a dare, gone to check it out. People waiting outside had heard screams, and Junes had stumbled out white as a sheet before fainting. No-one saw Kary. Even then, people though it was a hoax, after-all one girl could manipulate sound, the other a teleporter – it was obviously staged

but then Kary had been off for a week - ostentatiously visiting family - and when Mellissa was back in class, the formerly moody and anti-social girl was oddly perky and cheery with everyone, wanting to be part of every group and every activity. It got the rumour going again, louder this time.

until professor Delgado, the homeroom teacher and the personal mentor for the six of you for the superhero side of the school heard it, and set what she called some 'homework'

its now 11 PM, and standing before the old school building at night, lit only by the torches in your hand and distant streetlights on the main path through campus, the building looks larger, sharper than before.

But it was just a stupid rumour, right?

Rhyvurg
2015-01-27, 08:44 PM
Herald stand there, holding a torch in one hand, and his sawed-off shotgun in the other. This was so stupid. This wasn't a job for students, wasn't the faculty supposed to be looking out for them, not the other way around? And torches? Why did they have torches? It just made no sense. "So...can anyone see through walls? Because that might make this whole thing super easy." He gets out his phone and starts typing. "Updating my status to 'mortal peril'..."

Anyr
2015-01-27, 09:07 PM
"A bit of X-ray vision isn't gonna cut it. For all we know, the spooooky thing only appears when people actually go near it. Come on, everyone; Let's go exploring!"

The speaker's cheery tone was completely at odds with the atmosphere: As was her bright yellow t-shirt and sky blue jeans. But then, one girl's midnight was another girl's noon. Rebecca Hayes strode confidently towards the supposedly ominous building (which lost a lot of its mystique when you had perfect darkvision). This particular mission was right up her alley.

Mekboy
2015-01-27, 09:10 PM
This was really dumb, Willow told herself. Just a stupid story. The kind she'd made up dozens of in her time (although hers of course were much more believable). And here they were in the middle of the night, expected to go and 'investigate'. She'd tried playing the haughty fairy monarch and refusing out of hand, but it had had less than the desired effect on the teacher. Stupid know-it all. The torch was pretty cool though. From what she could tell it had a smaller version of the things they used to light rooms. Maybe she'd get to keep it once they were done.

"Can't smell anything particularly interesting out here. Not over the smell of you lot anyway, heh." She grinned to show she was joking (Although, as she maintained, humans were a lot smellier than fairies.) "We could just say we went in there and saw nothing, they'd probably buy that. Means we wouldn't have to spend the night out here in the cold." (It was far from cold, but that wasn't the point. The point was that this was dumb and she'd rather be in bed.)

Yodas_Free_Boat
2015-01-27, 09:25 PM
Joshua Drake, a teenager who held more power at his young age than most of the adult population of the planet could dream about. His father was capable of razing countries, and his mother policeid the different realities. And yet, despite that power and pedigree, he was still a teenager. A teenager whose knees were shaking slightly, and his .
'Cmon Jay' he thought to himself, trying to psych himself up and get himself out of his our head 'Get it together. It's probably nothing.' 'And, if it is something, maybe I can save the day. And maybe impress some girls'

Joshua just lets out an exasperated sigh when Rebecca strides towards the building without a care. "Exploring is all fun and good, But sometimes a spot of caution is warranted. Like when two of peers went in and came out very altered."

Of course, while he is saying this, Joshua is walking behind the vampiress and flipping through the pages of his heavy tome. "Maybe, just maybe, the book will have a mention of something like this." He mutters under his breath.

Thought I'd make a roll to see if any of this sounds familiar
Knowledge (Arcane Lore)[roll0]

If history would be appropriate, it would be that result, just -3.

Anyr
2015-01-27, 09:37 PM
Rebecca paid no heed to her team's complaints. She was really looking forward to this little adventure.

"Don't be so negative! Tons of kids would jump at the chance to do what we're doing now. When did staying up all night stop being cool? Unless, that is, you're..."

She spun around to face the others, a mischievous grin on her face.

"...Scared?"

Mekboy
2015-01-27, 10:09 PM
Red scowled and stood to her full height (5 foot nothing). "You calling me a coward, Miss Spookybritches? I've seen way scarier stuff than some dumb building that messes with yer head. Fine, let's get this over with." She grinned again, ire apparently gone. "Faster we get this done, faster I get to bed. You guys have nice beds round here."

Rhyvurg
2015-01-27, 11:52 PM
"Faster we get this done, faster I get to bed. You guys have nice beds round here."

Herald grins, pulling his NVGs off his belt. "We really do. Want to see mine?"

Yodas_Free_Boat
2015-01-28, 12:14 AM
Joshua lets out a groan at John's attempt at a pick-up line
"C'mon, let's not dilly dally. The sooner we investigate this place, the sooner we can get some rest and the sooner ."

Mekboy
2015-01-28, 12:21 AM
Willow gave a short snort of laughter. "Hah, you wish! I'm royalty, gotta have some standards y'know."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2015-01-28, 01:37 AM
Bryn Llewellyn

Bryn couldn't pass up an opportunity like this. Not only was it the perfect excuse to stay up late-- sanctioned by the faculty, no less-- and avoid her nightmarish dreams, it was also like her very own "Blair Witch Project". Besides taking along the fancy sword she kept on the wall in her room, she had her camera out filming the whole thing. She'd edit out most of this-- standing around outside the building would make for boring cinema. "I'm sure there's nothing to worry about in there. After all, what's the worst that could happen?" she says in her lilting Welsh accent, with the confidence of someone who heals rapidly from practically anything. "Tell you what. If one of you holds the camera, I'll even go first." Her red hair was pulled back in a braid, and her dark clothing made her blend somewhat into the shadow cast from the wall.

Mekboy
2015-01-28, 01:56 AM
"Ooh, ooh, I'll do it!" Willow practically skipped over, her curiosity for interesting human stuff taking over. The fish-girl usually had interesting stuff anyway - even despite her weird chemically-watery type smell "What's it do? What do I need to do? How's it work?"

Rhyvurg
2015-01-28, 02:14 AM
Willow gave a short snort of laughter. "Hah, you wish! I'm royalty, gotta have some standards y'know."

"Hey, I'll have you know I am a catch. But yeah, I should go first. If there is something horrible and sanity-destroying in there, I'm really good at running away. Plus I can see in the dark, not sure if you guys can."

Anyr
2015-01-28, 02:43 AM
Rebecca didn't bother joining the 'who should take the lead' debate: Because she was too busy taking the lead. Whilst her comrades talked, she walked. Rebecca glanced back at the only person who'd bothered to follow her: Good old dependable Josh.

"Looks like it's just the two of us..."

Rhyvurg
2015-01-28, 03:52 AM
"Theme music!" Herald holds up his phone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOuI4OqJfQc) and follows after them.

Wiz0rd
2015-01-28, 04:47 AM
Charlie Delta slams through one the outer door of signal academy, the door bouncing on its hinges loudly. It would have guaranteed to wake or shock anyone still working in the mechanics shop.
"I can't believe I'm late for my very first assignment. I can't believe this." he thought to himself as he jogged around the outer school, searching for the correct building, and the correct group. At-least the morning jogs were coming in useful.

Charlie felt a surge of relief when he caught up to the group as they approached the building. With panting you'd expect from a teenager who has sprinted from their dorm to the other side of campus:
"Hey-*inhale*-guys-*exhale*-sorry-*inhale*-I'm late.-*exhale*"
After regaining himself, he stands upright, oblivious to the natural spookiness of the place, heart pounding loudly in his chest.
"What did I miss?" he says with a crooked smile.

BlackestOfMages
2015-01-28, 03:07 PM
stepping into the worn old building, Rebecca is greeted by the flickering of the automated lights to life - seems the block still had some power - welcoming you all to a wide, spacious foyer the same as in the other residential blocks, though signs of disuse ran rampant; the musty smell and moth-bitten holes on the curtains, patches of mildew and missing spots on the carpet, cracks and chips in the once-fine wooden paneling running across the walls, and a few stray moonbeams stealing in through the cracked windows. A faded brass chandelier hangs from the ceiling, all but one of the bulbs set into its eight arms cracked and dull. Heralds 'theme music' echoes hollowly through the old building.

Besides three closed doors leading - if this building was indeed the same as your own - to what would be the communal rec room, kitchen and lounge, the foyer leads either to a large wooden staircase leading to the upper floors, or to follow one of two corridors to the right or left, each lined with closed wooden doors - those to the left boarded up. a second set of stairs sits next to the first, leading down to the basement.

The light in the room shine strong for the left corridor and up the stirs, but seem to be flickering or flat out dead in the other parts of the building. None the less less, for those of you capable of seeing in the dark, you can make out one door at the end of the far right corridor, four rooms in, slightly ajar.

there is a vague echo running through the building, almost a whisper.

Jay's gathered arcane knowledge, combined with the hint sheet of his spell book, revealed to his knowledge of a variety of existing personality altering and body control spells, but each one was noticeable enough in their execution and effects to not fit the criteria

Delving into what he knows about signal academia's history, jay knows that under its previous ownership, this building was used to house new inductees ready for processing. This, combined with damages when the old academia was stormed, is why the block remained closed.

Anyr
2015-01-28, 03:35 PM
"Niiiice haunting spot. I love the whole 'dark reflection' vibe it's got going."

The décor certainly met with Rebecca's approval. It felt like someone had taken the familiar dorms everyone knew, and twisted their essence. Great stuff. The whispering noise in particular was a nice touch. She strained her ears, in an effort to find its source.

Rhyvurg
2015-01-28, 04:24 PM
"Okay gang, let's split up and search for clues." He's silent for a moment. "Naw I'm kidding, that's stupid. Clear the ground floor first, then head up? Or wait, do these buildings have basements?"

Wiz0rd
2015-01-28, 07:04 PM
"Alright, well, thanks for the update guys. Appreciate it." Charlie says in a huff as he enters the abandoned and disused dorm, following the "Scooby squad" (heh).
'What is Signal Academia doing with a disused wreck of a building anyway? I thought this place had money and supers to boot? Couldn't they easily fix up the place? Or is it a testing ground? Who knows. You certainly don't, Charles. You should keep your assumptions to yourself.' the thoughts rattling around in the fore-front of his mind.

"I forgot my torch. I guess I'll just use the flashlight on my phone. Anyway, looks like there is a flicker of electricity in the building. I'll head down to the basement to see if the fuses need flicking on again. Maybe turn on some lights. Anyone want to come with me?" He says in earnest, trying his best not to be intimidated at the thought of descending down...

Down into the deep, dark cellar...
With the murderers...
and the ghosts...
and the personality-changing horror...

Yeah.

Anyr
2015-01-28, 10:37 PM
Rebecca was too absorbed by the area to really notice Charlie. His comment about torchlessness, however, did manage to register.

"Hmm? Oh, here; Take mine. I only brought it to help out you guys."

Without turning around, she held a torch out in Charlie's general direction. She could already see just fine without it.

Wiz0rd
2015-01-29, 02:45 PM
"Ah, thanks Rebecca, I appreciate it. I'll get it back to you at the end of the task." He gently grasps the torch and smiles into the back of her head.
"So. If anyone needs me; I'll be in the basement. If I'm running and yelling, don't forget to shut the door on your way out."
Charlie Delta slinks away through the darkness, heading in the presumed direction of the basement - heading to the presumed electrical mainframe. He steps with as much caution and stealth as his limbs allow as he wades through his hapless journey.

Rhyvurg
2015-01-29, 03:17 PM
Herald watches him leave, incredulous. "Did...did he seriously just go off by himself into the basement of the haunted house?"

Anyr
2015-01-29, 03:37 PM
"He what? Hey, new guy, wait up!"

A second later, Rebecca had run off in the same direction. She quickly caught up to the much ignored newcomer (What was his name?).

"Rule number one for these places: Never go anywhere alone. So like it or not, you're getting a partner for this little trip."

The brightly clad girl fell into step beside him. To be honest, she still had no idea who this kid was; But he looked as if he could use some company. Why hadn't she noticed that before? Poor guy. She should have made him feel welcome right from the start.

"I'm Rebecca, by the way...Oh, wait, you already knew that."

Wiz0rd
2015-01-29, 05:48 PM
Charlie turns to stealth-suit clad teen and mutters 'Well, I did offer.' as he turns back with a half-hearten shrug. Before he had the chance to fully return to his stride towards the depths, he is met with a brush with the brightly dressed girl.
'It just seemed like a good idea at the time, is all. I didn't hear anyone say it was an exclusively bad idea. I just wanted to help.'
'Right right, rule number 1...'
'Oh god, first you're late, and now you're making a scene. Way to go.'
'Charlie, Charlie Delta. I read our files-but not in creepy way-just, we were going to squad up together is all.' He paused for a moment, the darkness doing well to hide the fact that his cheeks were most likely an unflattering shade of red.
'So what is the plan exactly?'

EDIT: Thanks Anyr. Oh god. Fixed.

Anyr
2015-01-29, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately for Charlie's ego, Rebecca had perfect darkvision. She could see his red cheeks clear as day. Back when she was alive, she'd have given anything to not blush in public. But now that that wish had been granted, she kind of missed it.

Doing her best not to chuckle (with only partial success), she replied to his question about plans.

"Beats me. You ran off before we had time to make one. But hey, fixing the power seems like a good start. "

Yodas_Free_Boat
2015-01-30, 03:31 PM
JOshua just sighs and hangs his head when Charlie runs off and Rebecca chases after him just a few seconds later. "Yep, Looks like we're down two members."

"But, atleast he's got somebody to help watch his back." "And I guess getting the fuse box back up isn't a bad thing"

"So, what should we do while they fiddle with the lights? " the young wizard asks, turning to face his fellow students.

Rhyvurg
2015-01-30, 05:36 PM
"Well, Scooby Doo has taught me that things like this usually end up happening in basements and attics. They got the basement, so we should go upstairs and check the attic, assuming this place has one. Personally, I'm in favor of burning the building down and dumping the ashes at sea."

Anyr
2015-01-30, 10:44 PM
On the way to the fuse box, Rebecca tried to make up for lost time with Charlie. She gave him one of her best 'I really care' stares: The ones that most people found really creepy. Undead eyes just looked wrong when they did that.

"Sooo, I'm guessing you already know my story; What's yours? How'd you end up in the ghost hunting business?"

Wiz0rd
2015-01-31, 11:13 AM
Charlie mimics the stride of his companion step-for-step to the best of his ability as the pair head towards the presumed direction of the basement.
She handed me her torch, so I presume that means that she can see easily in the dark. No wonder she doesn't seem to be phased by the building, the darkness holds no mystery or danger for her. Dang, I should have paid more attention to the files. I mean-uh- she's looking at me funny, quick say someth-
"Well, you'd think so, but you'd be surprised how little I know.(Wait, that didn't come out right) I mean, I only skimmed the files, I didn't want to pry or be rude or anything." His voice was low and hushed as his footsteps echoed gently in the abandoned hallways. "Well, it all started when I saw Ghostbusters" he said to mysterious Rebecca as they continued, "but really, it was an assignment given to me earlier today by our Prof. Delago, you know - our Lockheed-Starsaber, the tech teacher. Tech is my main subject here at the academy."
Not concentrating, Charlie steps heavily on a loose floorboard to draw out a dull wooden whine and "Eeeeeee..." sound you hear so often in the movies.
Charlie turns to Rebecca with an awkward expression drawn across his face.
"I'm really glad you came with me, Rebecca. Thank you."

BlackestOfMages
2015-01-31, 11:15 PM
Charlie/Rebecca

Charlie and Rebecca soon find themselves before a heavy metal door leading to the basement - disturbingly, you can see a vast array of locks and bars on this side, like it was used to keep others inside, but these are all open, the door slides open effortlessly despite the age.

Heading down worn, groaning wooden steps long past their best days, Charlie and Rebecca descend into the stone-slabbed basement of the building, their footsteps echoing through the wide, empty room. the door creaks on its hinges behind you, seeming to move on its own before coming to a stop, nearly closed
"Hey, glad you could make it. two more recruits - soon I will literally own this school"
"Turn back...u don't w-nt to come...down here" you hear a voice, almost like the wind, echo throughout the room faintly, almost as if its coming from the walls around you. The basement is sparesly decorated, just a few blank stone walls, rows of empty metal tables and stacks of boxes set against the far wall. However, looking around, you see a faint distortion, as if the room changed, the bare walls covered in spiderweb symbols, the empty tables instead having you people strapped to them, a cloaked figure standing over the presentation, but as soon as it appeared, it vanishes once more, returning to its empty state.

Unhindered by the darkness, Rebecca's eyes notice the slightest hint of movement from just above the stack of boxes, followed by a tiny red glare; some sort of camera, it seemed

Putting the sight aside, the pair of you spot the fusebox dead ahead of you, tucked into a corner of the room, the front panel already open.

"Please...just...go. you d..t wa..end up li... me. you do...want to loose...your self to... ... ... us" the phantom voice echoes again
"So, listen, popularity is all that matters in a school. its all that matters to you"
please make a will roll for me, if you would

Everyone else
Following Josh and Herald's lead, the four of you head up the stairs to the second floor, then again to the third. The flickering lights had only grown more inconsistent as you'd climbed higher, as if each still functioning bulb had a life of its own. as you climbed the stairs, once or twice you felt as if the consistent breeze running through the worn out building had been closer, stronger, almost touching you, that the whispering of the wind had been whispered words

as you reached the third floor, just below the basement, you hit a snag - the stairs had been smashed in, woodchips strewn about as if hit by a great force. the banister remains intact, but nothing more, and the hole above you leading into the attic a good 10 feet of the ground, pitch black save for a fine white fog just creeping out into the corridor. yet even as you first saw the broken staircase, your vision distorts, you see a phantom of the stairs in full, a slvette young woman sprawled across them, screaming in pain as it look like some white fog enters her body. the screaming continues to echo in your ears even after the vision fades away.

from the corner of his eye, Herald could swear he spotted movement coming from the left corridor of the floor, if only for a second.

Willow's nose has been tingling since she got here; a sharp, chemical scent that she's unfamiliar with due to her upbringing away from humanity, but she's sure of one thing. its recent - it stands out too much against the old, musty smells.

Anyr
2015-02-01, 12:36 AM
Charlie turns to Rebecca with an awkward expression drawn across his face.
"I'm really glad you came with me, Rebecca. Thank you."

Rebecca smiled softly. Moments like this made her feel warm inside.

"Any time, partner."

And so the journey continued. When they reached the ominous door, Rebecca could barely contain her excitement. This place was classic! If only she'd thought to bring a camera. She descended the old stairs carefully, for Charlie's sake. One arm hovered near him, in case he lost his footing. They soon reached the bottom. Rebecca could barely contain herself as she entered the room ahead. What spooky wonders would they find here?

The room didn't disappoint. First came the voice, which actually made Rebecca jump a little. Ghost or not, it was well done. She called out hesitantly.

"Hey, are you for real? Hello?"

Then the images appeared. Rebecca marvelled at the room's sudden (though brief) transformation. If this was a prank, then someone had gone to a lot of trouble for it. The voice soon returned; But this time it didn't have her full attention. She'd just spotted something that threatened to spoil the mood. Was that a camera? She took a few steps towards it.

Will save: [roll0]

Note: Rebecca is immune to mental effects. So if this is some power trying to mess with her head, then no save is needed.

Rhyvurg
2015-02-01, 02:54 AM
Herald's shotgun snaps up, pointing left. "Movement, down the hall." He puts on his night vision goggles and falls into a half-crouch, moving slowly in that direction.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2015-02-01, 02:09 PM
Bryn

When Rebecca and Herald barged into the building, Bryn decided to keep the camera herself, with a murmured apology to Willow. She followed along at the back of the group documenting everything as they went along. At Herald's yelp about movement, she points the camera that direction, but says, "I don't see anything. Are you sure you aren't just jumpy?"

Mekboy
2015-02-01, 05:17 PM
Pouting to herself, Willow followed the rest of the group. Stupid selfish fish-girl. Who did she think she was? She kicked a piece of rubble frustratedly. Not like she would have broken it or anything...

The appearance of the screaming woman shook her out of her sulk. Yeah, it was a bit creepy, but more importantly it meant that there actually was something here. This might be kinda cool after all...

"Pretty sure there was something here pretty recently. Something smells all chemical-y."

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2015-02-02, 11:22 AM
Bryn

Still not seeing anything where Herald indicated, Bryn stops recording long enough to scroll the recording back to the point where they saw the apparition on the stairs, curious if the image showed up on the camera, and, if it did, if the young woman was their missing classmate or not.