PDA

View Full Version : 5E First Character

JNAProductions
2015-01-27, 09:59 PM
I'm just about to get my 5E books (finally), and I figure the best way to start it up is by trying to push the system as far as it can go.

To that end, I'd like suggestions for the craziest characters possible (that are at least somewhat feasible under 5E rules). Don't post any rules, stats, items, or anything that might give crunch-just a concept to make a character around.

This character will (probably) not be for any adventure, just a fun little crash landing into 5E, so don't worry if you suggest something impossible by accident/maliciousness.

Current builds to try, in order of my desire to try it:
-Lance-Wielding Dinosaur-Riding Flying Physcho Midget
-Adventurer Merchant
-Dominatrix
-Iron Wizard
-Charisma Only Melee
-Bear Wrestler
-Circus Clown
-Pranking Mage
-Mafia Enforcer
-Pacifist Net Master

asorel
2015-01-27, 10:05 PM
5th Edition has been pretty good at preventing truly broken builds from appearing, with the possible exception of Simulacrum chains at higher levels. If you want something like Pun-Pun, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

As far as ridiculous builds go, I've always been a fan of the Halfling Beastmaster Ranger with the Dual Wielder feat that flies a pteradon into battle, with a lance in each hand.

2015-01-27, 10:12 PM
1) Mafia Enforcer

2) Mystic Theurge

3) Circus Clown

4) Adventurer-Merchant

5) Prank-Obsessed Mage

EDIT:

6) Dominatrix

JNAProductions
2015-01-27, 10:17 PM
Nah, nothing like Pun-Pun. It'll probably be underpowered, but fun as heck to build.

Though next time, give less details. Lance wielding dinosaur riding flying physcho midget is fine, but you gave rules. I want to figure this out all on my own.

jaydubs
2015-01-27, 10:48 PM
-The one-man zoo.
-Celebrity ass-kicker.
-Infinite bardstorm.
-The iron wizard.
-Ice breathing horse-dragon.

JNAProductions
2015-01-27, 10:58 PM
What, pray-tell, is Infinite Bardstorm? It's already number 1 because it sounds awesome, but what on earth does it mean?

Horse-dragon left off, unless the PHB lets you do really weird races. I want crazy but possible.

Naanomi
2015-01-27, 11:03 PM
Character building exercises for system mastery practice?

Charisma Only Melee

jaydubs
2015-01-27, 11:20 PM
What, pray-tell, is Infinite Bardstorm? It's already number 1 because it sounds awesome, but what on earth does it mean?

Horse-dragon left off, unless the PHB lets you do really weird races. I want crazy but possible.

I'm going to admit, I was aiming more for "sounds cool" than "likely to see play."

Infinite bardstorm is the standard infinite simulacrum/wish chain through magical secrets. But a more acceptable version is just using a single simulacrum with a valor bard archer, since they get by easier than wizard simulacrums who can't refresh spells. A bard simulacrum still ends up with several swift quivers, so you can throw out 8 attacks per round for several combats. And once that runs out, your simulacrum can still refresh inspiration on rest. 2 attacks plus 1 inspiration every round, effectively forever, is a pretty good deal for 1,500 in ruby dust.

Horse-dragon is another questionable practice given a catchy name. It's using cone of cold with find steed, to make your horse breathe ice on your enemies.

JNAProductions
2015-01-27, 11:24 PM
Gah! Mechanics! Get those away from me! :P

Sounds fun in a broken way, and like I said earlier, I don't care about actual effectiveness. It's more just for me to have fun and learn (break) the ropes with 5E. After all, I'd rather play a fun storied character who is only so-so in effectiveness than a minmaxed monster who has the personality of a brick. And a boring brick at that.

Madfellow
2015-01-27, 11:30 PM
Wandslinger

Ultimate Skillmonkey

Bear-wrestler

Superhero

Armstrong, the Strong Arm Alchemist

While I'm at it, King Bradley

Elsa

Naanomi
2015-01-27, 11:44 PM
'The Pacifist Net-master'?

Also, along these lines, I had a good time optimizing themed parties that probably is similar to this... Things like 'fae themed party' or 'fully flying party' or 'completely stealthy party'. Might be fun to take some groups on once you finished your exploration of solo characters.