PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Creating Magical Darkness

ThatOneShrroth
2015-01-27, 10:35 PM
Long story short, I'm in my first D&D 3.5 game, playing an unarmed variant of a Swordsage. We just hit level 7 and I prestiged into Shadow Sun Ninja for the flavor of it all. (That, and it's a magical girl setting a la Puella Magica, so...yeah.) We've just found items that act as a wish spell up to 18,000 gold. I've spent 10.8k of it on a collar of umbral metamorphosis to help out with SSN stuff, but I was wondering. Are there any magical items that would allow someone to create magical darkness, aside from wands? Perhaps something with an aura, or anything like that?

Dysart
2015-01-28, 03:59 AM
It should be pretty simple to have a wonderous item created with an at will ability on it.

Have a look for a spell with the desired affect then simply check the rules in the back of the DM manual for creating the desired item.
Once you've got the item in mind that you want it's simply a matter of approaching the DM and asking him if you can source such an item =)

ILM
2015-01-28, 04:58 AM
By the custom item creation rules, a 5th-level cleric could create a Pebble of command-word Deeper Darkness, 1/day for 5,400 gp, though you may have to increase the cost by 50 or 100% depending on the item's intended slot. You'll have the usual vulnerability to dispels so beware.

The great thing about Darkness is that you can block the effect by placing the targeted object in a lightproof encasement. Cast the spell on your weapon's blade and instantly get the effects when you unsheathe it :smallsmile:.

edit: if you're ready to be a bit cheesier, a Telflammar Shadowlord can create a continuous item of Darkness for 3,000 gp (plus 50/100% depending on slot, again).

sleepyphoenixx
2015-01-28, 06:31 AM
Unless you can actually see in magical darkness you're probably better served with a Darklight (SoS, 500gp). It creates nonmagical darkness (among other light conditions) pretty much all day.
The only problem is that it's fueled with power points, so unless you have a psionic character in the party or can take the Wild Talent feat you'll need to invest in a manifester weapon (shuriken if you're feeling cheesy) or similar item to fuel it.