PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help worldbuilding/homebrewing/DMing

Scunch
2015-01-27, 11:08 PM
Hey

I've never DM'd or played a tabletop RPG before and I find myself in the DM seat for 3-4 players. I'm actually pretty excited for this, I know it won't be easy but I expect it will be fun and interesting creative outlet. Still though, some advice from experienced DMs would be fantastic. So to start off, the concepts I'm working with/ideas I have

Concepts, ideas, setting
My heroes find themselves in the world of Oredrah (placeholder name, not married to it). It's a fairly traditional DnD style setting--orcs, goblins, elves, etc. I do want to keep it a little silly and tongue-in-cheek. Lots of little references to show, games, pop culture etc. for example: I want the heroes to find a Stone of Cecil: It will play a random quote/snippet (or one I've made up) from Welcome to Nightvale when activated by the players, once per day max. I think later as a short 1 or 2 session adventure they'll find themselves transported to Nightvale and have to find their way back. I also intend to name one of the kings "The King Formerly Known as The Prince" and he will become annoyed/enraged if called anything else. Maybe they'll find themselves at "The whores nipple" (aka "The Dragon's Kneecap") of Korgoth of Barbaria, shortly after Korgoth's rampage, you know silly little stuff like that I've generated a map from dwarf fortress using Dwarf Map Maker, here it is:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8P2eRsCUAQKLvv.jpg

I still need to populate it with kingdoms and roads and all that fun stuff. I would've been happy to copy that from the map generation but it seems that DMM doesn't handle that.

The big bad threat will be a rapidly growing force of an all-inclusive primitive civilization. It will be made entirely of the (semi)intelligent monstrous/tribal/brutish races such as goblins, bugbears, orcs, beast men (I'm going to include a few beast races in the game, crocodile men, leopard men etc), kobolds etc. This new and unlikely civilization will be banded together with a hatred and jealousy of the civilized races, and some sort of dark (blood?) magic--a tattoo that allows them to freely speak between eachother and would bind them into loyalty to the leader and civilization as a whole. The tattoo must be taken willingly, but once taken loyalty is absolute (there may be some limitations, haven't decided). I feel like a kobold would make a fitting Big Bad, given their cruel nature, tendency towards jealousy and big egos.

I want to add some more mechanics and monsters to the game. Namely, I want to add the monsters from Monster Hunter (the Capcom game) along with armor and weapon crafting using the materials gathered. I think I'll upgrade the Wyverns to be intelligent but savage, violent and very instinctually driven to better fit in with the Pathfinder wyvern concept. Capable of speech, but too unpredictable and violent for it to make a difference *most* of the time. Some, like Kut-Ku's and the gypceros will probably just be dumb beasts. The most important part is that their materials will be harvestable (presumably with survival skill) and the PC's will be able to use these materials to make and upgrade weapons. The weapon trees will follow the basic ones found in Monster Hunter itself, perhaps shortened for the sake of keeping it easier to balance/more rewarding. I probably won't include the charge/explosive/transforming weapons so as to keep with the setting, but perhaps they'll be available from specialized smiths later on. I intend to the weapons and armor better than most of what the players will find in the campaign (with a few exceptions) so they have a reason to go out and hunt and will be excited for a wyvern encounter. I also want to make Kobolds have an strong relation with wyverns (and the other reptilian monsters like Velociprey). I'd like some tribes to have an intimate knowledge of how to manipulate them using pheromones/bait etc, others to bow down to them as brothers of dragons (and be abused/eaten/taken advantage of in return). In general wyverns will see them as annoying pests, something to be ignored or eaten most of the time. I rather like the concept of kobolds, and I think this will give me a chance to feature them more and make the wyvern encounters a little more interesting at the same time.

Note: I intend the crafting to be done at a blacksmiths, and to be done between rounds *only* I.E. through email with me so I have time to balance the weapons/armor and so the players don't have to waste valuable table time shopping.

I also have a basic opening arc outline:
The party is acting as guards of a traveling merchant caravan (note: I don't have any backstories from the players yet, this detail may change to accommodate those). On the road they come across the ruins of another merchant caravan, maybe 3 wagons, with ~20 corpses strewn about. They were apparently setting up for the night, with half set up tents strewn about and ripped up, with evidence this happened the previous night. The corpses are pretty terribly mutilated and eaten, and there are a few velociprey corpses around as well. Several of the dead were obviously killed by a larger creature (the PCs will know it as a velocidrome if they pass a a knowledge check). Oddly, everything appears to be looted and picked clean. Also, the guards seem to have poison darts in them as well as wounds from the monsters. The caravan master encourages them to investigate while they wait there with most of the other guards, and might send an NPC with them. They will find 2 trails, 1 will be from the velociprey, which will be marked by a blood trail/scales/obvious tracks. If the PC's follow that they will encounter the Velocidrome and a few velociprey, lightly wounded from the previous night. The other trail will show obvious signs of attempted concealment, but the broken branches and signs that perhaps crates were dragged that way. This will lead to a few simple traps (snares, pits) first marked by an exhausted deer with a broken leg hanging from a tree. As they follow the path (hopefully avoiding the traps) they find themselves at the entrance to a cave. The entrance is mined out but leads to a series of natural caverns, one of which contains a chained velociprey and a chained boy from the caravan who is just out of reach of the velociprey. Whether they are attempting to tame it or just use it for torture is unclear. Anyways, they slaughter some kobolds and find a small, heavy chest with a high quality lock and the king's symbol. The kobolds obviously tried to pry it open and pick the lock, but they didn't have much luck. If the PC's manage to open it somehow they find a golden, gem studded sex toy with a strap (debating on whether this is too silly/stupid for the first game, if I do do it I'll describe it in a roundabout way I.E. "you find a golden rod, 8" long, rounded at the top and studded with precious gems. You feel this would make a poor weapon..." and if they make a knowledge check "while the king is largely considered a just and righteous man, his tastes in the bedchamber are widely rumored"). Anywho, I'll word it so that they get the hint that taking the whole box and locking it again would be a good idea. When they return they continue onto their destination, and are approached by a cloaked man who is clearly not fitting of the situation. He'll smell and act like a noble. He'll offer to hire them on behalf of the king to investigate a caravan that hasn't arrived yet and carries something that belongs to the king. Oh hey what a coincidence. They give him the chest, he plies them to make sure they haven't opened the chest, checks the chest, pays them and is off. Next morning guards burst into their room and interrogate them about the man they spoke to. They get brought in front of the king himself, who asks them questions about the man and the chest. He fervently insists that the contents of the chest was just a decoy (the queen blushes) whether or not they admit to opening it, or indeed whether they opened it at all. The king decides they look trustworthy and tells them that the box had a hidden compartment containing papers that may give credence to another man's claim to the throne and the man who hired them was a spy who had wormed his way into his council and was recently found out. While the king's claim is legitimate, this proof could split the realm and cause a civil war, which is just not an option with the horde attacking the southern borders. He asks for the player's assistance in securing these dangerous documents. That's all I've got so far

Possible storyline branches:
Characters leave the box or convince the caravan master to keep moving-They are contacted by the spy all the same and have to go back and get it (there's no way they wouldn't take the bait at this point, I hope)
The spy figures out the characters opened the box-He makes them swear to secrecy about the contents
The characters search the box and discover the hidden lineage proof-I'm really hoping this will happen, it could open up all sorts of opportunities for the PCs to end up embroiled in political intrigue and potentially have very noticeable and real impacts on the game world

Where I Need Help
So I found an android app that has the core rules+beastiary+ultimate books, and I got the pathfinder beginner's box to give me a step in the right direction. This gives me a pretty wide base to work off of, especially for the homebrew stuff. The main things I need help with:

The Map/Setting: Oh god what a huge task. I don't know how to parse up the map to be useable in the game. I also need to come up with some kingdoms and all that. I think I'll start the horde/invasion in the evil peninsula off the continent, but I don't know where to start the PC's, I want them a reasonable distance away but I also want them close enough to feel the impact of the Horde's expansion. Also, if anyone knows how to make the map seem more like a tradition map in gimp that'd be great. I added the canvas filter to it which makes it seem more like cloth, but that's all I got.

The Mechanics: How to add in the weapons, armor and monster and balance the butchering for parts as well as weapon upgrades. Also, how to make a single wyvern be a reasonable but not overpowered threat to 3-4 players, and include some of the wyverns behaviors/attack patterns. Also, ideas on how the Big Bad's tattoos could work mechanically

Storyline ideas: Throw'em at me, I could use the inspiration. I could also use some tips on how to fit together over-arching plots and keep the players motivated without forcing them down a corridor. I want to point them in a direction and let them decide how to get there.

Feedback/hints/tips/cautionary tales/tools etc: oh god I have nearly no idea what I'm doing. HELP! Online tools and android apps would be nice as well.

I really appreciate you guys' help. Thank you for reading all (or even any) of this wall of text.

ILM
2015-01-28, 03:13 AM
I think you're making the mistake I made the first time I DM'd: biting off more than you can chew. All of this is a tremendous amount of work (=time) for an experienced DM and you're not experienced. I'd say run a couple modules first, tweak them here and there if you really must tie them into the world you have in mind, and see how that goes before writing the Encyclopaedia Oredrah.

Surpriser
2015-01-28, 06:55 AM
First of all, read this: So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide (Reposted and Updated) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?76474-So-You-Wanna-Be-A-DM-A-Potentially-Helpful-Guide-%28Reposted-and-Updated%29) There are a lot of hints, tips and guidelines, I would recommend it to any new DM.

I think you're making the mistake I made the first time I DM'd: biting off more than you can chew. All of this is a tremendous amount of work (=time) for an experienced DM and you're not experienced. I'd say run a couple modules first, tweak them here and there if you really must tie them into the world you have in mind, and see how that goes before writing the Encyclopaedia Oredrah.

I second that.

Although I admit that the outline for your first adventure seems to be pretty solid (more on that below). So starting with that might actually work out.
In any case, I recommend to ignore anything not directly related to your adventure for now. The most important thing for you and your players (apart from having fun, of course) is to get used to the workings and mechanics of your system.

By introducing the relationship between kobolds, wyverns and velociprey, you already establish an important facet of the setting - the primitive tribes can wait for later. This saves you a lot of work and your players an overload of information.
The same goes for the map (and honestly, they won't care at all about the name and culture of a kingdom far away from them - if anything, they won't even care about the kingdom they are currently in, more so if that information is not directly relevant for their quest) and any overarching plotlines.

About the harvesting of monster parts: Just like the other things, worry about that later. You can have the merchants tell them that monster parts can be used to forge weapons of higher quality (and maybe even offer to pay for any parts they can salvage) and one of the NPC guards might possess such a weapon or armor and proudly tell a story of how he earned it. Thats it. If they later decide to start crafting these things themselves, there is still enough time then to worry about the specifics.

Concerning the monsters themselves, there are stats for different dinosaurs and related monsters in the various Monster Manuals in D&D. I suggest you use those, as creating (and balancing) new monsters is quite a difficult task. You can also look at the stats for dire animals and other magical beasts.

About your proposed adventure, there are two points that caught my eye:
A wyvern (at least the D&D version, but I assume Pathfinder's will not vary too much) will run over any first-level party without even breaking a sweat. You could either use a different kind of reptile, or if you are dead set on a Wyvern, make it unable to participate in the fight.
Perhaps it was wounded fatally during its attack on the caravan and collapsed along the way back to its lair. The party has to fight the (much smaller) monsters protecting it (or some sort of scavengers waiting for a meal) in order to strike the killing blow or they might just leave it to die (but then they won't get to salvage any parts).

The second thing is that you should also account for the party refusing to work with the spy who contacts them for the box, especially if he looks untrustworthy or they know the contents of the box. No matter what happens exactly, you should plan for two possible outcomes:
1) The box ends up with the spy (no matter how) - then you can proceed as planned (although the king might be quite angry at them for losing the box, depending on the circumstances - the quest to return it would then simply be their "one last chance" to avoid punishment)
2) The box ends up with the king - in that case, the really important documents are something else, in a different box ;) But the PCs have proved their trustworthyness and get assigned the task of retrieving them.
In both cases, the outcome is the same, but there is a lot of room for player actions and various ways for it to play out. Also, the way the players handle this situation will have an effect on the circumstances of their next quest and their standing with the king and the players will feel like their actions mattered.

Scunch
2015-01-30, 10:18 PM
-Snip-
Thanks, that's really helpful. I hadn't even considered that they might end up refusing the spy (doh!). Although, if they do, I think I'd like the document to stay in the box. It seems that way they will feel all the more real and rewarding. Then the king could send them on a series of increasingly dangerous quests to prove themselves or something.

I suppose I can really narrow the focus significantly, at least at the beginning. I'd like them to be able to craft at least velociprey armor or a sword or something by the end of the first quest. Looking at the armor tables I think maybe making it equivelant to masterwork studded leather (AC+3) with an increased maxdex of +8 (from +5), Arcane failure reduced by 5%, and weight reduced by 5 pounds. Maybe a bonus +2 with saves against stun and dazed condition. Does that sound reasonable?

And yeah, I've read You Wanna be a DM? like at least 4 times by now lol.

A wyvern (at least the D&D version, but I assume Pathfinder's will not vary too much) will run over any first-level party without even breaking a sweat.
Well the proposed monsters here are velociprey and a velocidrome. Velociprey are basically bright blue raptors and velocidrome are to velociprey as dire wolves are to wolves. They're just bigger and meaner. Also, they act as pack leaders of the velociprey. I was planning to have the pack they encounter be injured, though now that I'm looking at monster difficulty in the beastiary Deinonychous are CR3, and are pretty close in size and behavior to a velociprey in theory, so a giant one (large instead of medium) would be pretty fearsome for level 1's. I might do your idea of having the velociprey guarding the crippled velocidrome, and make them all slightly injured to give them a chance.

As for the actual wyverns, I probably won't introduce them for a while. The first one will definitely be the Kut-Ku. A base wyvern is CR 6, and that's probably what I'd use for the rathalos/rathian. I might scale it down to CR 4 for the Kut-Ku though.