PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me build a Savage Technologist Barbarian

Secret Wizard
2015-01-27, 11:49 PM
So, I was finally allowed to roll a Savage Technologist Barb (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/savage-technologist).

It basically gains a few nice Gunslinger features (Dex to gun damage, doesn't provoke AoO) and a nice rage bonus (trades a CON bonus for a DEX bonus), so I could make a good COME AND GET ME! build.

A few restrictions with the build is that:

- There's no way to get reloading on the firearm faster than a move action with Rapid Reload.
- You need a weapon cord weapon or a Cestus to be able to reload the gun with two free hands while using another weapon your other hand. Weapon cord makes you waste a swift action to retrieve the weapon, Cestus gets a smaller bonus from Power Attack. Decisions, decisions. Does anyone have another idea? (The DM said it was okay to retrieve the weapon as a swift action with the cord
- Rage powers aren't too well tailored for switch hitting.
- No idea how to increase firearm capacity.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Just found an archetype for the Barbarian, the BREAKER, that stacks with Savage Technologist, and allows to ignore broken weapon's attack penalty! Perfect for gun misfires! It has an increasing damage bonus that, by level 6, makes it so you can ignore the damage penalty too. Once you have a Revolver (which doesn't explode on a misfire once broken), you probably want to have that Revolver STAY BROKEN.

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-01-28, 03:06 AM
About reloading:

Use alchemical cartridges(paper cartridges) to reload as free Action.

Unfortunately, you still Need a Hand free; Weapon Cords were FAQ'd to use a MOVE Action instead of a Swift Action iirc...but your DM ruled otherwise, so you're good.

I'd simply use a spiked Gauntlet or normal gauntlet on one Hand, and the pistol on the other Hand; you can do your TWF Routine as shoot-Punch-shoot-Punch.

Since you can reload as free Action with alchemical cartridges, you don't Need to increase firearm capacity; unfortunately, you still suffer from 1-2 misfire Chance(1 normal, +1 from alchemical cartridges).

As such, I'd recommend the Amateur Gunslinger feat to get the Quick Clear Deed. This allows you to fix your broken gun very quickly.

Secret Wizard
2015-01-28, 03:28 AM
Thanks for pointing out the Alchemical Cartridge rule for me! Will make an effort to get Metal Cartridges up fast, this will allow me to delay Rapid Reload 'til 5th level.

Any reason why a Spiked Gauntlet is better than a Cestus? A Cestus can deal B or P damage which is pretty good for ignore damage reduction, plus it has a 19-20 crit range.

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-01-28, 04:41 AM
It was my unfamiliarity with the Cestus that led to my recommendation of Gauntlets/Spiked Gauntlets.

It does seem to be a pretty decent weapon; unless you're planning to perform many precision-based Tasks; it looks superior to (Spiked)Gauntlets.

I recommend that you look into Pummeling Style/Pummeling Charge; both the Cestus and the Gauntlet modify your Unarmed Strike.

Secret Wizard
2015-01-28, 05:05 AM
I'd rather save my feats - I'd rather take the Beast Totem line of rage powers.