PDA

View Full Version : Low-level Lycanthropy "cure"

RedMage125
2015-01-28, 01:15 AM
So, most lycanthropes have a pretty low CR, individually. Remove Curse is a level 3 Spell, so most PCs will not be able to cast the spell to remove the curse of lycanthropy in a decent amount of time.

This is something that has recently occurred in my game. My party got a "random" encounter with a pack of wolves in the dead of night. During the fight, one of the wolves seemed unusually more durable than the rest, and soon assumed its hybrid form and started really tearing into them. Well, it tried to. Really good ACs and effective use of the Shield spell meant there were a lot of misses. I had 2 players fail their CON save against the bite (and they were level 3 at the time, Remove Curse is a bit out of their range right now).

I did, however, come up with an interesting solution. Harkening back to older editions, I allowed them to track down a supply of Belladonna, Wolfsbane, and Powdered Silver (25gp worth). They hired an NPC apothecary to make a Wolfsbane potion. Now, cure or not, Belladonna is poisonous, and I ruled that ingesting it requires a CON save or take 2d10 Poison damage and be afflicted with the Poisoned Condition for 24 hours. In order for the potion to take effect, one must voluntarily fail their save against the poison. The potion is not as effective as a Remove Curse spell, however, and all it does is give the player a new chance to roll the CON save (which I, the DM, make in secret).

The herbs were easy in this case, since they were in a small town that was deserted (kobolds had taken all the surviving villagers captive weeks ago), and they raided the local herbalist shop, and rolled a Nat. 20 on the Perception check to search for the herbs they were looking for. They waited until they had time to rest up in town to have the potion made and drink it (they were bitten on a waxing crescent moon by a natural lycanthrope, so they knew they had some time).

Just thought I'd put this out to the forum community, see if anyone else wanted to use it for themselves.

JFahy
2015-01-28, 01:36 AM
Cool stuff. Can you tell us how they did on the new saves, or might they read this?

RedMage125
2015-01-28, 01:47 AM
Cool stuff. Can you tell us how they did on the new saves, or might they read this?

They do not frequent the forums at all.

One of them made it. One did not.

Since they have about a week of in-game time, this should make for some fun times. Although they have now hit level 4, and I expect that by the end of that in-game week, they will either have hit or be very close to, level 5. So I might only have one or two "wolf-nights" with the player who failed a second time.

JFahy
2015-01-28, 02:23 AM
They do not frequent the forums at all.

One of them made it. One did not.

Since they have about a week of in-game time, this should make for some fun times. Although they have now hit level 4, and I expect that by the end of that in-game week, they will either have hit or be very close to, level 5. So I might only have one or two "wolf-nights" with the player who failed a second time.

Can you put him/her in a situation where the wereform helps, like needing to
track somebody? Make it tempting for them to postpone the cure? :smallwink:

Maxilian
2015-01-28, 08:26 AM
Can you put him/her in a situation where the wereform helps, like needing to
track somebody? Make it tempting for them to postpone the cure? :smallwink:

Maybe that could even push the player to try to find a way to control the curse :smallbiggrin:

Myzz
2015-01-28, 10:58 AM
does any of them have the Acolyte background? access to healing there... for cost of mats! If they cant afford the mats, perhaps another task/quest after they are healed to make up for it???

RedMage125
2015-01-28, 01:41 PM
To be clear...I am not looking for suggestions. I'm quite happy with what I came up with, I just wanted to share.

does any of them have the Acolyte background? access to healing there... for cost of mats! If they cant afford the mats, perhaps another task/quest after they are healed to make up for it???

That would be awesome...if they weren't out in the sticks. I believe the cleric of Bahamut has the Acolyte background, but there's no temple to Bahamut in the town they're in. And neither the local priest of Moradin nor the resident druid can cast that spell.