PDA

View Full Version : Can you jump with Air Walk?

Milo v3
2015-01-28, 07:21 AM
If you jump directly up while affected by Air Walk, would you fall back down or land in the air at the height you reached?

Curmudgeon
2015-01-28, 07:39 AM
Nope.
The subject can tread on air as if walking on solid ground. Moving upward is similar to walking up a hill. The maximum upward or downward angle possible is 45 degrees, at a rate equal to one-half the air walker’s normal speed. You can't "jump directly up", because that's more than 45 degrees; also there is no option in the Jump skill for moving at half speed.

Jack_Simth
2015-01-28, 08:32 AM
Nope. You can't "jump directly up", because that's more than 45 degrees; also there is no option in the Jump skill for moving at half speed.

There's definately room for interpretation, though, because it includes "The subject can tread on air as if walking on solid ground". Could you jump if walking on solid ground? Generally speaking, yes.

Curmudgeon
2015-01-28, 08:47 AM
There's definately room for interpretation, though, because it includes "The subject can tread on air as if walking on solid ground". Could you jump if walking on solid ground? Generally speaking, yes.
It says you can tread as if walking. Jumping isn't walking.

ericgrau
2015-01-28, 09:30 AM
That doesn't exclude jumping though, and generally if you are walking up a hill you can jump. Likewise do those who run or hustle (double move) while air walking suddenly fall??

Then the question is where do you land? I'd leave the whole thing up to the DM including whether or not you can jump at all, because it becomes a big mess to argue the details otherwise. If it were me I'd let you jump and land at the peak of your jump, the disadvantage being that this is just as slow as hill climbing your way up.

goto124
2015-01-28, 09:46 AM
Why jump when you can just walk your way up?

Fouredged Sword
2015-01-28, 10:47 AM
I would say you can jump, but you fall back down to the maximum climb allowed by air walk. You can't double jump to move straight up.

Lightlawbliss
2015-01-28, 10:50 AM

it makes double jump references much easier, among other things.
"...I'm walking on sunshine..."

Grod_The_Giant
2015-01-28, 12:59 PM
I would say you can jump, but you fall back down to the maximum climb allowed by air walk. You can't double jump to move straight up.
That seems like a pretty reasonable ruling.

Duke of Urrel
2015-01-28, 05:23 PM

This is a good question. There's no reason to jump while you're air walking. If you want to make your path approximate a vertical ascent, just curve your 45°-angle path tightly around itself, as if you were walking up a spiral staircase. That should work.