PDA

View Full Version : [Prestige Class] There's more to balance than nature.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-04-04, 01:54 AM
Ok, I've never seen Abjurant Champion, but I've heard it's overpowered.

Actually, I heard that after I initially made this class.

This is my first class creation. I've sought input on two other boards already (back in December, actually...) so it should at least be in a usable state. I'd like to improve it, and I welcome any input.

The Grey Mystics are an order of spellcasting fighters dedicated to keeping balance in the world, though in a different way than a Druid would be; rather than the natural order, they seek to keep human civilizations balanced, never letting one outpower others by too much. In battle, they remain calm and defensive, knowing that anyone that attacks will leave an opening eventually. They favor swords, feeling that axes are too clumsy and spears too situational.

Grey Mystic

Requirements:

Alignment: Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, True Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Neutral Evil
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Feats: Weapon Focus (Any one-handed Sword or Two-Bladed Sword)
Proficiency: Light Armor, any three Martial melee weapons
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast at least seven Arcane spells that are either Abjuration or Transmutation. Must be able to cast at least level 2 Arcane spells.

Hit Die: d8
Proficiencies: A Grey Mystic gains proficiency with Daggers, Shortswords, Rapiers, Scimitars, Longswords, Bucklers, and Small Shields.
Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier
Class Skills: Tumble, Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, History, Local, Nobility and Royalty), Gather Information, Concentration, Spellcraft

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Shielded Spellcaster|---

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Shield of Balance|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Mysticism|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|---|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Improved Shielded Spellcaster|---

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+5|---|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+5|Guarded Casting|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+6|Extended Mysticism|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+6|---|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+7|Mystic Barrier|--- [/table]

Shielded Spellcaster (Ex)
The Grey Mystic can cast Abjuration or Transmutation spells without the arcane spell failure from a buckler, light shield (of any materials), or any light armor.

Shield of Balance (Su)
The Grey Mystic gains a +1 bonus to AC vs. Lawful Neutral, Neutral Good, Chaotic Neutral, and Neutral Evil opponents, and a +2 bonus to AC vs. Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, and Chaotic Evil. At levels 5 and 8 he can add another +1 vs. Lawful Neutral, Neutral Good, Chaotic Neutral, and Neutral Evil, and +2 vs Lawful Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, and Chaotic Evil to either your AC or your attack rolls. This does not affect creatures of an alignment matching the Mystic's own. You may choose a different type of bonus at each of the levels you are given a bonus at.

(*Um, yeah, that's quite a bit of bookkeeping, isn't it? :smallyuk: )

Mysticism (Ex)
The Grey Mystic's effective caster level for all Transmutation and Abjuration spells is increased by two. This bonus increases to +3 at level 6 and +4 at level 9.

Improved Shielded Spellcaster (Ex)
The Grey Mystic can now cast any spell without arcane spell failure from a buckler, light shield, or light armor. In addition, his Abjuration and Transmutation spells ignore failure from a Heavy Shield and Medium Armor.

Guarded Casting (Ex)
The Grey Mystic no longer provokes Attacks of Opportunity while casting a spell from the Abjuration or Transmutation schools.

Extended Mysticism (Ex)
The Grey Mystic's Abjuration and Transmutation spells last twice as long, except those with a duration of instantaneous, concentration, or permanent.

Mystic Barrier (Su)
As a standard action, the Grey Mystic may use any number of spell slots of a chosen level to grant himself an AC bonus equal to the spell level used and a Spell Resistance bonus of 10 + 3*Spell Level for a number of rounds equal to the number of spell slots used. He may choose to use any number of slots on a certain level.

Ok, that's all. Just, please, if you have any criticisms, try to suggest a solution. I'm not good at this yet, so the guidance will be appreciated. But if no solution is provided, I'm not going to be sure what to do. =/

martyboy74
2007-04-04, 07:23 AM
You may want to change the alignment requirement to: "Must include at least one neutral component".

For Mystic Barrier, is there any benefit to expending multiple slots, instead of one?

Thexare Blademoon
2007-04-04, 01:40 PM
You may want to change the alignment requirement to: "Must include at least one neutral component".Sorry, out of habit I tend to be overspecific, heh.

For Mystic Barrier, is there any benefit to expending multiple slots, instead of one?
Duration.

Mystic Barrier (Su)
As a standard action, the Grey Mystic may use any number of spell slots of a chosen level to grant himself an AC bonus equal to the spell level used and a Spell Resistance bonus of 10 + 3*Spell Level for a number of rounds equal to the number of spell slots used. He may choose to use any number of slots on a certain level.

Not sure about the wording, the duration's supposed to be for the AC and SR bonuses. >_>

Baron Corm
2007-04-04, 01:54 PM
i think the alignment description is fine, that's the same exact wording the druid has. try this for shield of balance (it's less words):

Shield of Balance (Su)

At levels 2, 5, and 8, the grey mystic may add a +2 bonus to all attack rolls or his armor class. This bonus will only apply in full effect against creatures of the extreme alignments (Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Good, Lawful Evil, and Lawful Good). Against other creatures, the bonus is halved.

Improved Shielded Spellcaster is kind of weird... I don't think the grey mystic will be casting only abjuration or transmutation spells, nor will he be switching armors in the middle of battle... just kind of weird... i'd make either both work in medium armor or neither of them

if they're fighter types, they should really get some class skills like jump, swim, and climb.