PDA

View Full Version : Irish culture in FR?

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-01-28, 12:25 PM
I'm looking for a Human cultural background in the Forgotten Realms that mirrors Irish culture. I would like to use it for a Human Variant Rogue I'm going to play later this month, and just can't for the life of me remember such a culture in Faerun...

hamishspence
2015-01-28, 01:16 PM
I think Moonshae Isles have elements of it:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Moonshae_Isles

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-01-28, 02:41 PM
Well, that helps some. Thanks for the link, hamishspence. Any chance there is a more Sea of Fallen Stars oriented culture?

hamishspence
2015-01-28, 02:54 PM
Dalelands maybe:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dalelands

Darth Ultron
2015-01-28, 03:01 PM
In the Sea of Fallen Stars you get the the Eyes of Silvanus, the islands Ilighôn and Wavecrest. They are not ''Irish'', but they are home to the Emerald Enclave and can be flavored Irish no problem.

Altumbel could work as it's a mostly lore empty spot.

The Chondalwood has plenty of fey, and you could put an Irish culture there no problem.

Yora
2015-01-28, 03:20 PM
Dales would have been my first thought, too.

Moonshaes are very British Islands, but they are very poorly tacked on. The islands were designed to be an original setting, but it got scrapped and someone had the idea just to slap them into the sea off the coast of the Forgotten Realms, which was in development at the same time.
And that's pretty much the entire support that region ever got. As far as I know, they never played into what's going on in the setting at all.

Dalelands on the other hand are one of the Heartlands where all the action happened. (Before it moved to the North and stayed there.)

LibraryOgre
2015-01-28, 07:09 PM
Moonshaes are very British Islands, but they are very poorly tacked on. The islands were designed to be an original setting, but it got scrapped and someone had the idea just to slap them into the sea off the coast of the Forgotten Realms, which was in development at the same time.
And that's pretty much the entire support that region ever got. As far as I know, they never played into what's going on in the setting at all.

There was a bit more support than that; two novel series, the Moonshaes supplement, and some scattered references, but still, not much.

Moonshaes is very much a "pseudo-Celtic setting with pseudo-Vikings" setting. I could see it being quite fun to play in, but there's not much given to it.

The Dalelands I don't see as being specifically Irish, though agree that you could flavor them that way. Instead, they wind up as the "pseudo-Medieval-without-the-bad-parts" that seems to be a default setting.