PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monsters related to dreams?

flameboy99
2015-01-28, 02:05 PM
I've planned a side story line in which the players are plagued by nightmares (Not the fire-y horse kind), and the culmination is them facing off against a monster acting as the source of these nightmares. However, I'm not sure what monster to use. The night hag is the only thing that fits the bill that I've seen, but I don't want to use something quite so obvious as that.
I'm willing to home brew something, if need be, but I'm pretty bad at it, and would prefer something official instead.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-28, 02:07 PM
Eberron has the Quori which are LE outsiders from the plane of dreams.

Zaq
2015-01-28, 02:21 PM
Libris Mortis has the Dream Vestige, which kind of works.

Telonius
2015-01-28, 02:33 PM
I'm AFB, but Heroes of Horror has some materials on Oneiromancy. (Not much, as I recall, but it might be of use).

EDIT: Found this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?11626-Oneiromancy-Magic-of-Dreams) in the Homebrew section; haven't gone through it, but you might find something interesting.

Xerlith
2015-01-28, 03:28 PM
Definitely check out the Quori from Eberron Campaign Setting. They're basically THE go-to nightmare/dream guys.
I mean, their plane is called "The realm of dreams" and they feed off your dreams when you sleep.

THEChanger
2015-01-28, 03:31 PM
There's also the Fihyr and Great Fihyr(It's pronounced 'fear'. Yeah, I know.) in Monster Manual 2. They're supposed to form from the collective fears and nightmares of multitudes of people. They aren't the greatest of monsters (the main features are a Frightful Presence ability, Spell Resistance, and a Vulnerability to Sunlight. Great Fihyrs do emotion spells too.), but they fit into the category of monsters involving nightmares.

M Placeholder
2015-01-28, 04:48 PM
Remember, the outer planes are created from the belief of mortals, so lower planar creatures could be considered the stuff of nightmares.

You could send them to the Ethereal plane and to the Demiplane of Dreams, or the Demiplane of Nightmares. But personally, I would use the night hag. I know its a bit obvious, but you could have it use hordelings as flunkies (Planescape, convert them to 3.5). All hordelings are gray, but no two hordelings look the same and perhaps a trip to Hades would be cool.

Lord of Shadows
2015-01-28, 09:11 PM
There is an old (2007, even) WOTC article that has something called a "Dreamfane", Link here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20070711a&page=1).

It is part of a group of new Psionic monsters, but I peeled away the Mind-bendy parts and had a fairly workable monster for a series of encounters in a recent campaign. It also benefits from being Neutral, which might give your adventurers a sort of pseudo-ally if they play it right (my group did, and ended up benefiting from it.)

YMMV.. of course.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-28, 09:16 PM
I could have sworn there was a dream element creature in a dragon magazine, I just cannot remember which one. I wanna say 287. It had the effect of removing Wis, which creates an interesting rules oddity.

Lord of Shadows
2015-01-28, 09:30 PM
I could have sworn there was a dream element creature in a dragon magazine, I just cannot remember which one. I wanna say 287. It had the effect of removing Wis, which creates an interesting rules oddity.

Found it... It is #287, whole section on the "Dreamlands"

The Wisdom damage was listed as the type of damage done by a creature with the "Dream Element" template.

The issue is still available as a PDF from Paizo (http://paizo.com/products/btpy7zv5?Dragon-Issue-287), or also used dead-tree copies are probably on any of the auction/sales sites.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-28, 09:32 PM
I mean I believe the application of the template removes the creatures wisdom score, which has the side effect of turning it into a sentient object, not an animated one, a sentient one.

JusticeZero
2015-01-28, 10:18 PM
I think there are a couple of these in the psionics section on the Pathfinder SRD.