PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing and BAB/Saves stacking

Xeolan
2015-01-28, 02:36 PM
My current wizard just multiclassed to wizard3/artificer1. Wizard3 has a BAB of +1, and an artificer has 0 BAB at first lvl, so my character is supposed to have a BAB of +1, which is even lower than a lvl 4 full wizard, even though an artificer has a medium BAB.

Is there some kind of specific rule that would adjust my BAB to +2?

If there aren't any rules for that, someone that multiclasses a lot could be stuck with a BAB of 0 at 20th lvl if he stacked 20 low/med BAB class?

On the other end, if the same person stacked 20 first lvl class with a high will save, he could get a +40 base will bonus at lvl 20?

orrrr

Maybe i should count my BAB using my character level: A character with a medium attack bonus would gain a +1 bonus by going lvl 4 from lvl 3, so if three low BAB levels give me +1, my 4th lvl, being a medium BAB, would grant me a +1 bonus so i get a total of +2.

Buuuuuuut going with this logic, a character taking a high BAB at odd levels and low BAB at even levels, he would still get a +20 BAB at 20th lvl.

Which is right, which is wrong? Both seem unbalanced, could either punish someone for multiclassing in the wrong way, or be overpowered if managed right.

(Although this is a bit ooc, a similar problem would happen with an epic character fighter20/wizard20, either he picked wizard or fighter for his first 20 level, he would gain the same class features, spells and feats, but by picking fighter first he would get an additionnal +10 BAB and slightly different saves.)

ellindsey
2015-01-28, 02:39 PM
You want the 'Fractional BAB' optional rules.

Snowbluff
2015-01-28, 02:39 PM
You should talk to your DM about Fractional Saves and BAB. It's an alternate rule set that gives you fractions of BAB and Saves instead of making it chart based. For example, a Wizard gets 1/2 level + 2 in will, 1/3 level in fort and reflex, and 1/2 level BAB.

EDIT: Dammit, Swordsaged.

Vhaidara
2015-01-28, 02:43 PM
It's a variant rule (so it requires GM approval) called Fractional BAB and Saves. Basically, you have Poor, Medium, and Good BAB, with Good and Bad Saves.
Poor BAB: +0.5/level
Medium BAB: +0.75/level
Good BAB: +1/level
Bad Save: +1/3 per level
Good Save: 2+0.5/level

So, a Wizard 3/Artificer 1 would have
BAB: 1.5 (3*0.5) + 0.75 = 2.25 = +2 (always round down)
Fort: 1 (1/3 * 3) + 1/3 = 4/3 = +1
Reflex: same as fort
Will: 3.5 (2 + 0.5*3) + 2.5 = +6

I'm not as sure on the save stacking, my groups don't normally bother with that. But that is how the BAB works.

Telonius
2015-01-28, 02:49 PM
The rule you're looking for is from a sidebar in Unearthed Arcana. It's in a sidebar, so it didn't make it to the SRD. It is an optional rule; it's completely up to the DM whether to use it or not.

Under normal rules, if you were to go insane and build a Commoner1/Wizard1/Sorcerer1/Rogue1/Bard1/Cleric1/Monk1, you'd have a BAB of 0. For fractional BAB, each level of a class would count as either 0.5, 0.75, or 1, for BAB. With the Poor progression (things like Commoner, Wizard, and Sorcerer), each level gives 0.5 BAB. For the Medium progression (Rogue, Bard, Cleric, Monk), each level would get 0.75 BAB. Round the total BAB bonus down. So if you had a Wizard1/Bard1, the BAB would be 0.5 + .75 = 1.25. Your bonus would be +1. If you then took another level of Wizard, to be a Wizard2/Bard1, it would be 1.75; still only a +1 BAB. If you'd decided to be a Wizard1/Bard2 instead, you'd have a BAB of 2 (0.5+0.75+0.75=2).

Personally I use the fractional rules; seems a lot more sensible, and doesn't penalize people who multiclass a lot (i.e. non-spellcasters) as much.

Epic is a bit weird, in that the Epic progression doesn't follow the normal rules. That's more of a problem with Epic, than with stacking BAB.

Xeolan
2015-01-28, 03:37 PM
Wow, thanks a lot peeps, this helps a lot, it makes a lot of sense too!