PDA

View Full Version : writing because i'm bored, obviously you're bored too...

wobner
2015-01-28, 05:12 PM
...or you wouldn't be reading it.

forgive the spacing, written in notepad and copy-pasted to forum. tried to clean it up, was troublesome

warning, rather dark.

Maldwyns eyes were immediately drawn to the young woman. Long dark hair which hung haphazardly in twists and curls to her shoulders, framing a soft, beautiful face, strangely fixed with a mournful expression. She was clearly thin and shapely even in the rough peasant dress she wore. Striking, but that was not what caught his attention

Her clothes were stained with dirt, a few tears carefully mended, but it was all wrong. There were no wear marks, especially around the rips, and they were in the wrong places for any kind of work he could imagine. it looked more like someone had simply stabbed a knife through the fabric randomly, then stitched it up.

Her face was dirty and her hair unkempt, but the dirt looked more applied, than spattered through labors, and her hair, disheveled as it was, was healthy and clean. Even the way she moved was wrong, perhaps it was his disdain for such people that made it stand out to him, but the way she walked, her mannerisms, she carried herself like a noble, one who had never known the back breaking labor of working a farm or hours spent hunched over a loom, or any of the like

He had seen a few nobles fall on hard times, but there was always a weight on them, a crushing despair at their loss of position, that even if they lacked the wear of a peasant, it bent and humbled them. This woman lacked all that. Plainly she was still rich, and only pretending to be impoverished.

Maldwyn had grown up in a small, poor town. A stop over for caravans, it saw its share of merchants and the wealthy, but the bulk of the people were barely scraping by, none of the wealth trickled down to them. Living as near slaves, he developed a deep resentment for these so called nobles, who did as they pleased and expected everyone to accomodate them.

Always quiet and stealthy, he honed his skills playing tricks on friends and family, nothing malicious, just mischevious. He wasn't about to steal from them even if they had anything worth taking. It just wasn't his nature. He did have occasion to pocket a few coins and baubles from careless traders, but the oppertunities were few and far between, and there was nothing to spend them on, and certainly not without arousing suspicion.

He knew he would have to leave town to really practice his trade, a thought that wasn't wholly unpleasant to him. He had his friends and family, but never felt particularly attached to any of them. Still, he knew he might eventually be caught, or atleast discovered, and didn't want those close to him to bear any burden for his crimes, thus a change of location was neccessary.

On a warm night, when a restlessness gripped, he grabbed his few meager belongings, the coins he'd taken, and leaving only a simple note, he slipped quietly out of town, never to return, making his way to the nearest town he thought would offer sufficient oppertunity and annonimity.

following the young woman as she snaked through the streets, he got the distinct feeling she might be trying to elude someone. He was very confident, however, that she hadn't seen him, trusting in his skills and his ability to blend into the background, the approach of evening and the surrounding buildings providing dark corners and alleys to conceal himself in. he could see noone else following her or himself, and simply dismiseed the notion.

The more he pursued her, the angry he found himself becoming. This idiot who was carried on the backs of the poor thought she could mimic one with a little dirt and a few rips in her clothes. Is this really all she thought of the people who toiled daily. That their years of hardship could be so easily immitated, that they could be so easily impersonated.He would have no qualms taking everything she owned, only that he wouldn't see the look on her face when she saw everything he had taken.

After a few more minutes of tailing her she deftly slipped into a small cottage on the edge of town. One story, thought it might have an attic space, proably atleast two rooms. well above what you'd expect for the peasant she was pretending to be, and yet he guessed it was well bellow her usual accomodations. It was probably as much slumming as she could bring herself to endure.

He meandered through the streets for some time, always an eye on the cottage, circling it, looking at various approaches, shadows he could wear, routes of egress, and ofcourse a means of entry. There was a single door, but three shutters, one on the roof looked like something of a flue for a fire pit.

The window shutters looked barred, the door had a solid looking lock, the flue hatch looked rather flimsy and in the warm night, the only fire would be for cooking if she did such things herself, but the cottage was rather exposed, standing on the roof could only be managed in the dead of night, and he would have to wait till she was gone. it seemed unlikely she would be wondering the streets in midnight hours.

He circled the cottage once more, making a note of every board, tree and rock around the cottage and the neighboring buildings so that he could plan from his room at the Inn. He would have liked a couple more passes, even a closer look, but that would be far too obvious, far too risky.

He turned to head back towards the Inn, but only made it a few steps when he heard a door close behind him in the direction of the cottage. He resisted the urge to immediately turn around, and casually pressed forward at a steady pace till he found a corner to duck into and finally take a peek.

He could see the back of a woman with dark hair heading away from the front door of house. she moved quickly, her head ducked down, glancing furtively from side to side as she hurried away. It was too soon to act, too much daylight. He slipped back out of the alley and kept heading towards the inn, he'd have to hope she was gone for some time.

From his room at the inn he changed clothes, dark colors to help conceal him, different enough from his early atire that he hopefully wouldn't be reckognized. drawing his hair up into a small knot, and anything else he could do to alter his appearance. He had a quick meal in the dinning room of the inn, then content enough time and light had passed, he slipped back out and made his way back towards the cottage.

The streets were largely empty, what few people were out seemed preoccupied with their own tasks, or atleast had their gaze on the ground, careful to avoid eye contact. If he were quick and quiet enough, and timed it just right, he should be able to go completely unnoticed.

There wasn't a single light in the cottage that he could see, no beams slipping through the cracks of the door or the shutters. It was too dark now to see any smoke rising from the flue, but atleast he could be sure there wasn't a roaring fire inside. Far too early for anyone to be asleep, he felt certain the woman was still gone.

Just as he had planned, he moved to the west side of the house, where a large, nearby oak offered a bit of concealment. after a quick glance for prying eyes, he gripped the lip of the sloping roof and deftly hoisted himself up, then he crept as quickly as he could manage to the flue hatch and gave it a tug, it opened effortlessly to a lightless room bellow. without a moment of hesitation, he dropped inside.

He landed with an audible clunk as his boots, padded though they were, impacted on hard brick flooring. he held his breath, crouched as low as he could manage, and listened for any hint of movement, of life, incase he needed to make a hasty retreat.

The front door and the nearby window were barred, that would delay him if he had to make a break for it, but it was a simple set of craddles with board resting in them, he should be able to easily toss the board out and bolt though which ever exit he had to use. The woman herself shouldn't pose any obstical, so escape should be easy.

Not a whisper or a creek broke the quiet. he started to breath again, but otherwise kept still and silent for a few more moments, if for no other reason than to let his eyes adjust to the reduced light. finally, confident he was alone and adapted to the darkness, he started to take stock of the room.

He was in the entryroom of the small cottage, standing on the bricks that lined the fire pit. the pit looked to have been untouched for some time, carefully cleaned with no signs of a recent fire. there was a hallway opposite the front door, that trailed off into the darkness, a feint outline of what should have been the second window was all he could make out.

a couple of chairs were pushed up close to the fire pit, he had been lucky not to crash into one when he dropped down A small dresser up againt the wall infront of the hallway. A shelf on the opposite side, devoid of everything but perhaps dust. a small table in a corner with a single vase on it, containing long dead flowers. Wealthy or not, he was begining to doubt he would find anything worth stealing here. He hoped the other rooms had more to offer, but was intent on thoroughly searching everything.

he had just moved to the dresser, leaning down to open the top drawer, when the hairs on the back of his arms stood on end. an icy chill hit the back of his neck, not just cold, it felt malevolent, seeping through the flesh till it hit bone, causing him to cringe, nearly sieze up. A single thought filled his mind, echoing in his head.

"The door was barred, you idiot!"

He didn't have time to dwell on his stupidity. Instinctly he spun around, drawing the long knife that he had hidden beneath his sleeve, but as he turned to face the threat, he was striken with horror at what he saw, stumbling back, he crashed into the dresser, barely managing not to fall or drop his blade.

A spectre of a man, looking like smoke given shape, hovered before him, its torso trailing away into thin whisps as it neared the ground. its arms, long and thin, with sickly clawed fingers, looked poised to rip him apart. Its face like a living skull, stared at him with such hate and malice that its very gaze felt painful.

It didn't yet strike, giving him a chance to collect himself, to try and understand what was going on. certainly his blade was useless against such an apparition, and it was too close to hope he could possibly get away. he guessed its mere touch would be fatal. He swallowed hard, wondering what he could do, waiting for the inevitable strike.

"If you are here to kill me", a womans voice rang out, emminating from the back of the darkened hall way, it was a pleasant and melodic voice, but despite this it pierced the silence like roar, nearly causing him to jump. "i'm afraid you will be dissapointed."

A light lit in the darkness, a small flame purging the shadows. he was unwilling to take his eyes off the monster before him, but from the corners he could see a young woman sitting casually at the back of the hall, a candle beside her.

He swallowed hard, trying to regain his composure, "I'm not, I assure you", his voice trembling slightly

"The knife would suggest otherwise", she replied coldly. The horrid figure before him let out a long slow hiss, the sound as mundane as it seemed, left his ears stinging and sent a shiver down his spine.

"To scare only, if need be", he said, meekly

"And hows that working out for you?", a hint of mirth to her voice that cut the coldness.

he cleared his throat, struggling to even his tone, "i thought you were gone," he answered, "i swore i saw you leave, and there were no lights".

"A servant, meant to lure others away", she replied, "So why are you here then"

He took a deep breath, trying to steel himself, it was clear he had underestimated her, if she was going to kill him, order this abomination to attack, there was nothing he could do to stop it. He slid the blade back into its concealed sheath, and forced himself against all instincts, to turn from the threat, and face the young woman.

A single candle sat on a small table lighting up the previously dark hall way. A wine bottle beside it. The young woman, still in her peasant gown with her tusseled hair, sat in a rather large chair pushed up against the back wall, a glass, half empty, in her left hand rested on one of the enormous arm rests.

He was a little caught off guard, up close she was far more beautiful than he had expected. slightly older than him, an impish smirk on her face hinted at a mischevious nature and concealed what he imagined was a truely gorgeous smile. large brown eyes that caught his and wouldn't let go.

"I was going to rob you", he answered, "well the house". she looked on with complete disbeleif, and something else that made him feel quite uneasy, an insinuation in the expression. he immediately felt very defensive. "Just rob", he said more defiantly. his anger at the perceived accusation helping to steady him. "as i said, i thought you were gone"

The look of disbelief persisted, "Do i really look rich, does this humble abode scream wealth", she sneered, sipping from her glass.

her posture, her poise, the wine itself, all belieid her defense "you may not dress like it", he answered, "but you carry yourself like one of these entitled pratts." he answered. anger emboldened him as he remembered exactly why he was here. "This house, those clothes, they fit you about as well as a suit of armor."

she gave a snort of a laugh, "perhaps i've fallen on hard times", she retorted

"no", he snapped, "this costume of yours looks like it was made by someone who doesn't know what a hard days work really looks like, a piss poor imitation" she glared at him, and he took a breath, realising his anger wasn't helping things. "i don't know what you are hiding from or why, in hindsight i should have given that more thought, but this is all just a very bad disguise." he replied more calmly

"wow", she said genuinely surprised, "you know that knife of yours wont hurt my friend there"

"I didn't think so", he answered, "thats why i put it away"

"wouldn't even tickle it" she smiled softly, looking surprisingly warm"you'd be better off running"

"not much better, i wager"

"true", she nodded, "and you'd never get close enough to me to use it"

"never considered that an option"

she gave a snort, "So you must really hate us" she mused, "most people in your position would be begging for their lives, not struggling to keep their rage in check", she added, refilling her nearly empty glass till it threatened to overflow, the bottle itself now nearly spent.

now he gave a snort, "Can i ask, why the charade?"

"whats it matter to you" she asked, suddenly looking very solemn, and taking a long draw from the wine

"This little blunder of mine is going to cost me my freedom at the very least, probably my life, whether you take it or the guards do." he sighed, "It's a small thing, but i'd like to know."

she hesitated a moment, as if in some internal debate, "They would only meet me in secret" she sighed, a weariness settling on her that was almost painful to see, "as much secrecy as i can manage, it seems" she added with a halfhearted smirk, and took another draw.

"why the need", he pressed, "whats this all about"

she smirked again, but it was even more forced and awkward, taking one more long drink from the glass, draining nearly half of it, she set it down rather clumsily, catching it only at the last second as teetered to fall.

"I've done something terrible" she said hoarsely, her eyes drifted off maldwyn to fix on her wine glass, she began to rock it in her hand till the lingering contents swirled about the edges just shy of spilling. it was clear her mind was somewhere else, in some distant unpleasant memory, her face took a pained and pale look. "I was tricked and betrayed"

suddenly she shook her head, turning back to maldwyn, "No", she said guiltily, water begining to form in her eyes "i wasn't innocent, I knew enough to know what i was doing was wrong, was going to hurt people, maybe not how badly", she seemed to sink into the chair, "But it was all lies, all for nothing"

Maldwyn could only stare on confused, The wine seemed to be taking its toll, her words starting to slur as she danced around his question. She took another drink, emptying the cup, then reached for the bottle to refill it, but in her state, she knocked it from the table, landing with a clunk on the floor. it wasn't even full enough to spill out through the neck.

she giggled lightly, a playful sound reminding him of childhood, but it stopped quickly. her eyes fixed on the bottle, but made no effort to to retreive it, "I can't undo what i've done, but i thought maybe i could stop them." her face scrunched in a look of torment and sorrow "but its too late, too late for me", she trailed off.

He watched her for a moment, waiting for her to continue, but she was motionless, staring at the fallen bottle. He was begining to wonder if he didn't completely misjudge her. She seemed so genuinely stricken. Possessed of a personality far more suited to compassion and laughter than anger and oppresion.

He waited a few more minutes, trying to reconcile what he saw with his preconceptions, watching a handful of tears trickle down her cheeks before finally breaking the silence."why is it too late", he asked softly, his voice, surprisingly full of compassion.

Her head whipped up, snapping her back to the here and now as if he had shouted. "They know", she said meekly, "they know what i've been doing, wroking against them. See i thought you were one of them, here to kill me, or worse, to compell me to do more in their service"

she let out another sigh "You needn't worry", her voice practically a whisper, "I won't turn you in, i won't be responsible for another death. i won't be killing anyone else today".

Something in her tone stuck with him, an emphasis on the last words, "what do you mean", he pressed, "anyone else?"

"Take what you will when i'm gone", she said ignoring him.

a sudden uneasiness gripped him,"what did you do", he asked, he made a move towards her, but a hiss from the guardian stopped him dead in his tracks

"Once i'm gone, he will disappate,", she assured

"what did you do", he repeated more sternly

"i wouldn't take the wine though, if i were you", she giggled again, but it was a tragic, wrenching sound.

he made another move towards her, and the beasts barred its teeth, stopping him again. "let me help you", he pleaded, but she only smiled weakly. He struggled to think of what he could do, but the abomination beside him robbed him of any options. with no other choices he just tried to keep her talking "why are you doing this"

"I told you, they found me out. They thought i didn't know they were betraying me, i thought they didn't know i was working against them." she sighed heavily, a shudder running through her body as the poison worked. "I had hoped to have more time, to set my affairs in order. Its a small thing"

"You could still help to stop them" he insisted

"I've caused so much damage already, yet there is still too much i could be made to do", she shuddered again, her breath starting to come in gasps, the veins in her neck were starting to bulge

He didn't care about the minion, he had to do something. He moved forward, but barely made it a step when his legs gave out, he collapsed to his knees. he could feel a claw on his shoulder, both burning and cold as death at the same time, sapping nearly all his strength. He could do nothing, but stare, watching helplessly as she began to twitch more violently, her face contort in more pain as she writhed in the chair.

"Atleast tell me who", he practically shouted, as if somehow keeping her talking would keep her alive, keep her clinging to life, maybe get her to reconsider

"Its more painful than i thought", she winced, "I had hoped the wine would dull it more" he body gave a violent spasm, causing the chair to lift off the ground and crash into the table, nearly toppling the candle.

And then she was still, no more convulsions, no gasping futily for breath, her eyes fixed on the darkness of the ceiling above. More unerving than watching the spectical of her demise, was the fact that she still seemed locked in excruciating pain. Her face frozen with suffering, her body contorted. No peace even in death.

in all seriosuness, polite, constructive, comments appreciated(like i'd get any other kind here), and if anyone cares i'll post more of it.

It was as if a thousand voices were screaming in his head. "run!", Get Out!" "you'll be blamed!", but none of them seemed to have any effect. He knelt before the corpse, transfixed. He thought he tried to stand a couple times, but if he had, the muscles ignored him.

He wasn't sure how much time had passed in his addled state, only that the candle on the table had burned half of its shaft away, a couple hours atleast, the realization hit him, and yet still, his body refused to move, to react.

It felt like a nightmare, confused and horrible, that he might wake up any minute. A simple theft turning into so gruesome a suicide. it was surreal. He wondered if it weren't some affect from the ghouls touch that had crippled him, but he knew it wasn't. It was then that he realized the abomination was gone, so consumed had he been with the deaththrows, he ddin't notice the menacing spectre vanish.

In that tiny bit of his brain that still seemed to be working he thought if he could just start moving, something simple and natural, but potentially engrossing, he could snap himself out of it, but still he drew a blank. finally, a single thought broke through his mind, a purpose to focus on, to drive him forward.

"you are a thief, thieve!"

In truth, he no longer had any desire to steal anything of hers, but right away, the gears started working. Where to look, where could she hide things. images flashed in his head of the dresser, something stashed behind it, false bottoms on the drawers. he was snapping out of it.

slow at first, each movement a struggle, he stood and turned to dresser where it had all started, a slight hesitation, as if the act of opening it would resummon the spectre, pulling it out slowly, as if to slam it shut should the apparition appear. it did not.

the top draw held two dresses similiar to the one she wore, as he rumaged through them his hand hit a strange weight in one, his mind perk up more. One of the tears, carefully sewn up, seemed to have two small heavy objects with. He pulled his knife and quickly slit open the thread, two gold coins fell out.

The second drawer held a more extravagent dress, perhaps it had some value, but he didn't want to try and sell such a thing. skipping it he moved to the third, it was empty. a quick check of the drawers themselves showed no secret compartments or concealed objects, and he moved on.

The vase on the table seemed out of place, but the moment he picked it up he could tell it was worthless, and understood why the plants were dead. so poorly made and glazed, had it been filled with water, it would have dissolved. As he set it back on the shelf, he heard a strange scraping noice from within. another spark of consciousness kicked off, peeling away some of the fog of shock.

he pulled out the dried flowers, nearly crumbling to dust in his hand, and turned the vase over, a ring and necklace slid out into his hand, extravagent and jeweled. he turned his gaze to the body of the young woman, there were no signs on her neck, but he could see on her left hand a tan line where the ring had been.

nothing else to see, he moved down the hall, passing reluctantly by the body, pausing only to snatch up the candle, he moved into the next room. It was a large bedroom. A small table and chair in one corner, the bed on an opposite wall with a night stand just to the side, a dresser near the entrance.

nothing in or under the bed, the dresser and the night stand empty too. a small bag next to the table held a couple of leather bound books and a few loose papers, most of which he couldn't read, on the table itself, an envelope that had at one time been closed with a wax seal, contained two pieces of paper, a map of the region with a single circle not too far from where he was, and a small note addressed to noone. He wasnt sure why, but he threw the note into the bag and slung it over his back.

Then he saw it, nestled just behind where the backpack had been, a second bottle of wine, unopened. He grabbed the new bottle, and heading back into the hallway, grabbed the one she had dropped, going to the fire pit he empited the first of what little remained, then opened and emptied the second, dumping them into the ground. both drained, and before he even realised what he was doing, he smashed them against the brick lining, destroying the empty bottles.

It was foolish, if there had been any doubt someone was there before, he had washed it away with that one act. They might have thought it the suicide it was, but now, whoever discovered the body would atleast know someone else was involved. he hardly cared, the act had been strangely satisfying.

The noise was something he should have taken into consideration, as he wasn't quite ready to leave. something had caught his eye, when he knelt down to pick up the bottle at the womans feet, something odd with the chair, scuff marks on the floor and a strange look to the seat. timidly he headed back to the body, and getting on the floor, took a closer look.

The seat of the chair had a bit of lip stretching down towards the floor, very ornate, but looking past it, to the underside , a small shelf had been built into the chair, well concealed, resting on it, a box. With more than a little reluctance, he reached underneath and slid the box out, taking it all the way back to the front room dresser before he tried to examine it.

the box was quite heavy, and jingled a bit as he carried it, though it had loops for a lock, there was none, only a simple latch. He flipped it open, and for a moment was gripped again with shock. A few loose notes rested on the bottom of the box, on the top, rows of coins of gold and silver. He quickly closed it and slid it into the back pack.

He didnt know how much time he had left before the sun would start to creep up, before people would be out and about. He was more than a little anxious at who else might be wandering the streets at night, who might take notice of the strange man leaving the cottage with a large backpack in the dead of night. As casually as he could, he exited the small cottage. He would leave the town at first light, never to return, and just hope noone came looking for him before then.

Maldwyn had traveled a good distance in a short time, driven to put the cottage as far behind him as possible. Finding a town large enough, and with enough traffic, that a single traveler could easily go unnoticed, even if he spent a little extravagently, not that he expected anyone was looking for him.

He buried the bulk of the wealth he had taken far outside of the town, the ring and necklace too, as they were most easily reckognized if he were caught with them, and finding himself strangely reluctant to pawn them. He kept more than enough money to indulge himself with.

it had been almost a week since he robbed the cottage, since he had met the woman he had come to know as sonja, atleast that was the name on the few papers that held any name at all. A few fine meals, a rare imported ale. Before recent events he had always wanted to try a bottle of fine wine, just because its what you did, but found he couldn't stomach the site of a bottle any longer, much less the smell of the drink.

Perhaps it was simply who he was, the son of peasant farmers, but no matter the meal, how expensive it was supposed to be, it tasted no better to him than a simple loaf of bread and boiled piece of meat. he could get no real satisfaction out of anything he spent the money on. The nice boots seemed to ache his feet. the fine shirt seemed to itch.

He found himself sitting at the back of the inn, drinking the cheapest beer they served and finding it tasted no different to him than the finest, a weriness from restless sleep weighing heavily on him, when he looked up to see a southernor, redish brown skin and dark hair, sitting at the bar, drinking liberally from a mug between bites of some horrid looking plate of food.

The man was quite strong looking, and despite being engrossed in his meal, he seemed strangely alert, he appeared to maldwyn to be able to handle himself in a fight. A knife well concealed, but still apparent to those who knew what to look for, at the small of his back, further supported this perception.

It wasn't lost on maldwyn that despite what he had thought simple, aimless, wandering, he had traveled in the direction of the circle he had seen on sonja's map, and at night, when sleep eluded him till nearly the morning hours, he would pour through her books and notes. He told himself it was just to pass the time, but ofcourse there was the insomnia itself.

As he found himself sizing up the bars patrons, this southernor in particular, he somehow knew that this is what he had been heading to all along.He strode up beside the man, and took seat next to him. a subtle glance, almost impercetable, told Maldwyn the man had taken notice.

"Are you any good with that knife at the small of your back", Maldwyn asked casually

The man took a swig from his mug, washing down the bite of food he had in his mouth, "pull that blade you have in your sleeve, and find out", he said rather dismissively.

Maldwyn gave a chuckle, "can i ask where you are headed to?"

"Its business of yours?" he snorted

"Well I'd like to offer you a job", maldwyn replied

The man took a deep breath, pushing the plate away to turn to face the stranger, "what kind of job do you think i'm after" his deep black eyes taking a moment to more thoroughly size up Maldwyn.

"I'm looking for someone who can handle themselves in a fight, i'm guessing you can. You could probably take me," maldwyn replied, "atleast in a fair fight"

"You want me to fight for you", he growled, and turned away to nurse his drink. clearly unenticed

"Not fight," maldwyn explained, "guard."

"no thanks" he said dismissively

"well where are you headed", maldwyn persisted

"North, gonna join up with the caravans", he replied, his tone indicating he would rather the conversation end.

"You don't want to be a guard but are going to join the caravans" he laughed. "Caravan work doesn't pay well, and gets kinda boring you know"

"They've been paying better as of late, the routes are getting more dangerous." he said dismissively, "are You saying you'll pay better, or that you're just more entertaining."

Another laugh escaped maldwyn "You come with me, should be about a three week trip at most. you get an equal share of anything we find, and i'll gurauntee atleast 100 silver and cover expenses."

The man cocked his head slightly towards maldwyn, atleast a little interested again, "what do you expect to find"

"No idea, but its a bit into goblin territory"

The man took a survey around the bar, "how big is your little expedition"

"just me for now, but i'm thinking atleast 3 to 4 to come with"

the man scoffed, "and you guarantee we will find atleast 400 silver to split, 500 if you include yourself"

"no, i will pay you each 100 if we don't find atleast that much"

"you have 400 silver?" he asked in disbelief

"not on me, but nearby, so it will be a round trip. you get paid when we get back if we come up short"

"or not at all if you die", the man reasoned

"incentive", maldwyn smiled

he eyed maldwyn again, "whats worth 100 silver apiece"

"answers", maldwyn replied rather matter of factly. The response seemed to annoy the man, and maldwyn knew he would have to go into more detail. In truth he was possessed of a desire to come clean, to tell someone, anyone, what had happened, maybe not everything, but the bulk, maybe then it wouldn't eat at him as much.

He let out a long uneven sigh and started to speak. "A young woman killed herself infront of me the other day", he confessed. He found his eyes suddenly shift from the stranger, unable to look at him as he spoke, he fixed on the mug of ale instead. "She drank a bottle of poisoned wine and died an excruciating, agonizing death. I can only imagine she was trying to punish herself, there have got to be less painful poisons, less painful ways to die"

He shook his head lightly, trying to drive out the mental of image of sonja, dead in the chair. "She said some people had used and betrayed her, gotten her to do terrible things she couldn't live with. She said she couldn't undo what she had done, and she couldn't stop them, and she seemed to think they could make her do worse things."

"you have no idea what she did" the man asked

"Not a clue", maldwyn answered, turning to face the man once again. "The money and the map were hers. It doesn't say whats there, it may not have anything to do with why she killed herself, but i have to know, i have to try." He was a little unnerved to hear himself, as his voice took on an almost desperate tone.

The stranger sat for a moment, his eyes fixed on maldwyn. he couldn't tell if he was still sizing him up, as the man had a rather strange look on his face. "What if you don't find the answers you are looking for" he asked

Something in his tone caught maldwyn a little off guard. "The silver is to just get me safely to the location on the map, and back again if we come up short, whether the answers are there or not.", Maldwyn stammered, a little confused, then added, "If you mean what will i do, its my only lead right now, if the answers aren't there, if i don't find another lead", he threw his hands up in defeat.

"and what if you find the people responsible", vafa asked

Maldwyn hesisted, "i just want answers", he replied, "for now. If they are whats at this circle i'll have all the answers i need"

"alright," he replied, with a little more enthusiams than Maldwyn expected. "but i'm not some sort of lackey, we split the work", he held out his hand his own to shake, "Names Vafa".

Maldwyn shook his hand, "fair enough, i'm maldwyn."

Vafa took another swig from his mug, and seemed to be thinking something out, "You'll need someone who can hunt and track." he said, slapping down the mug, "and someone who can patch us up after any troubles. probably another blade too."

"Thats what i was thinking", Maldwyn replied

"And i'm guessing if we need some more shadowy work done, thats something you can handle"

"i can manage" he smiled

wobner
2015-02-04, 09:50 PM
still bored, and exceeded the 50000 character limit.

They left word with the inn keeper to keep an eye out for anyone who might meet their needs, promising a nice tip for the favor. The man seemed to have a fairly good grasp of the comings and goings in town. It was something of a cross roads town, large enough and in the middle of enough that they might not have to wait too long to flush out their group

They then took stock of what they would need, spending the rest of the day making sure the supplies were available in the large, but modest town. food for 5 for some weeks. rope, torches, bandages. Maldwyn could see it was going to be tight, after what he had already spent and was promising to pay, that night his mind fixed on ways to skimp.

The next morning the inn keeper pointed out a woman in the back of the inn, olive skinned with sharp black eyes, dark hair pulled back in a small pony tail, though much of it had worked loose. Her clothing showing more than a few stains from dirt and grass, and quite a bit of wear, was all snug fitting and carfefully tucked in.

across her chest a long hunting knife, at her feet a backpack, quiver, a bow and a small axe. She was clearly a hunter, and quite accustom to the outdoors, strong and capable, her loose hair having more than a few leaves and twigs entangled in it.

She looked a little worn out, as if she had been traveling hard for days, bags under her eyes, which were more than a little red, devouring the meal before her as though she hadn't bothered to eat in some time, and as they got a little closer they could tell she hand't bothered to bathe either.

"mind if we join you" Maldwyn asked, the words nearly choking in his mouth as the stench threatened to suffocate him

the woman looked up, eying both with a little suspicion, then around the nearly empty dining room hall, "why" she asked

"You're a hunter", maldwyn asked, the woman nodded, "well we need a hunter", he explained

"sorry", she replied, "i'm a little busy at the moment."

Vafa pulled out a chair and seated him self, the woman eyed him uneasily, "you didn't say no", vafa said with a shrug, "so whats so important you won't even hear us out"

"I'm maldwyn, this is Vafa", maldwyn said, seating himself

The woman seemed to resign herelf to the fact they weren't going to leave her alone unless she told them, "There is a woodland spirit at my village, powerful entity. Was a guardian, a protector. We managed to upset it."

she let out a heavy sigh, speaking more reluctantly,"Now it scares our prey, destroys our traps, and when we are fortunate enough to fell something, it steals it. Haven't been able to appease it, and when a few got the bright idea to try and kill it, well that ended disasterously. we've had to abandon the village"

"The towns up north told me city of Begraden might have some tomes on such creatures, or atleast scholars who could find a solution"

"if you already left?", vafa reasoned

"its our home", the woman replied defiantly, "besides, its gone beyond that"

"you want to kill it", maldwyn asked

"i'm going to kill it", she replied, "if someone can just tell me how"

"answers like that tend to cost money", maldwyn said solemnly

the woman gave a snort, "i assume you are going to offer to help with that"

"100 silver for about three weeks time.", Maldwyn explained, "its a start"

the womans eyes bulged a little, "and what does that entail?" she asked nervously

"We need someone who can help guide us to a location, someone who can read a set of tracks and let us know if there is anything dangerous around." vafa explained

"thats all?" her tone ripe with disbelief

"its west of here, so we might run into some goblins, or other things", Madlwyn explained, "and we may need a little foraging and hunting, finding potable water"

"You are determined to get your answers, " Vafa explained,"my friend is very determined to get his"

"and maybe", Maldwyn added seeing the womans reluctance, "maybe when i solve my problem, i'll help you solve yours"

"maybe?" the woman repeated, raising an eyebrow, "so what answers are you seeking?"

Where he had so easily confessed the facts to vafa, he found himself strangely reluctant to do so again.

"I'm looking for answers as to why a young woman is dead", he said rather crypticly. He could feel vafa casting a confused look at him, he ignored it. "this map is my only viable clue at the moment"

"three weeks?", the woman asked

"A week or so to get there," Vafa reasoned, "its not a great map. less time to get back, and a little time to find out what we can find out. divy up the spoils, and decide where to go from there"

"when would we leave"

Vafa shook his head, "we are still looking for a couple people to round out the group. someone who can tend wounds, someone skilled with a blade"

the woman gave another snort, "and how long will that take" she said sarcasticly

"fair enough", maldwyn replied, "give me 3 days, i'll cover your room and board. If we haven't found anyone by then, go to Begraden. heck i'll go too, bigger town, we are garaunteed to find the people we need."

she took a moment to consider the offer, "Muriko", she finally said in answer.

Maldwyn gave a smile,"excellent", he said, standing he turned and left to talk to the innkeeper, leaving vafa behind

She didn't speak till maldwyn was some distance away, "what isn't he telling me", she asked, "he's a little too anxious"

"The woman, she killed herself", he replied, "right infront of him"

she frowned, her gaze fixed on maldwyn as he talked to the bar keep, "She was a friend of his"

"don't think so", he answered. he watched her closely for a second, the frown still on her face "what", Vafa asked

"i didn't say anything"

"no, but you look like you want to"

She was reluctant to answer, but did anyways, "you don't think this is just a little bit" she looked to be searching for the right word, or maybe just reluctant to say it.

"yeah", vafa said, giving a glance in maldwyns direction, "buts its a good cause anyways"

she nodded, the frown receding, "so whats your story"

"my story"

"I need money, he has issues, what got you involved"

"nice bit of a cash for very little work", he answered, "better than the caravan job i was headed to",

she frowned at him this time, "its a good cause" he repeated

Muriko seemed to accept the answer.

Maldwyn anxiously waited for the party to assemble. The food, mostly dried meat and bread, nothing fancy, enough for two and half weeks, had been distributed to their packs with the bulk loaded on an old but sturdy mule, who had been saddled with the rest of the gear. He knew it was risky to bring so little with him, but had grown to seriously doubt his funds were sufficient after all the tools, the mule, the room and board, and 100 pieces he had promised.

He told himself they might make better time than he imagined, or that muriko could hunt while he explored whatever it was that was on the map. That if worse came to worse he could always cut the trip short. He was certain it would be fine, though still he hoped noone would notice how poorly provisioned they were until it was too late to back out.

He wasn't sure what he would find there, but had grown more and more confident that it would be valueable. The note that came with the map was useless, as were most of sonja's notes, being cryptic or vague, when they didn't seem written in another language altogether. Two words on a single page he'd found in the meriade of notes in her bag, filled him with hope. "crown jewels".

They'd gathered two more people, the first, a woman named Sombra, her face was in a perpetual frown, and her personality a little rough, but seemed more than capable with the sabre she wore on her waist. She had taken an immediate liking to Vafa, which seemed to improve her mood, and eagerly agreed when he told her the wage.

Second, a man named Darweshi. He had a strange discipline about him, almost rigid. Maldwyn would have guessed him a soldier, with his sword and shield, but he was thin and lanky, and almost too disciplined. He did however, have all the trappings of a healer.

Adding to his anxiety, were the number of people that had turned out to see the group leave, most ntoably, two men who had listened to his offer and declined, but had hung around the town, and the inn, ever since.

The first, pretending to be preoccupied with his own affairs, a pale skinned man with long scraggly blonde hair that drifted over his face, hunched over slightly and peering through his mane, he looked more than a little shifty. The second, a tall, well groomed, olive skinned man with tense eyes, a westernor like muriko. he made no attempts to hide his interest in the party's movements. They didn't seem to be working together, though maldwyn couldn't decide if that was a good thing.

Waiting with growing impatience for the others to emerge, he caught glimpse of a woman approaching from across the road, she was marching towards him at a brisk pace, light skinned with a thick flaring mane of red hair and a steely determined look on her face that he found more than a little intimidating.

She stopped just shy of crashing into him, causing him to take a step back.

"I hear you are looking into the death of a young woman", she said. "trying to find those who betrayed her"

Maldwyn was completely caught off guard, less now by the abrubt approach and more by the apparent loose tongue of Vafa, "um, yes" he stammered

"I'm comming", she insisted, in a tone that left no room for discussion

Maldwyn was more than a little dumbfounded, "what is it you can do", he finally managed to ask, hoping he might have an excuse to refuse her.

she pulled a long object wrapped in cloth from off her back, and setting it on the ground began unwrapping it. it was a large club that fitted with small,viscious looking, stone teeth. she hoisted it up with one hand, "i can use this", she said. she then raised her free hand, giving a slight wave, the club began to glow. "and i can do this", she added

he was more than a little taken by the display, "whats that do?" maldwyn asked confused

without a word or a change of expressiong, she fave a flick of her wrist, slapping the club into his shoulder. he yelped in pain as the skin immediately began to burn from the brief contact. he looked back in shock, but she seemed unphased

he gave a quick glance at the seared fabric of his sleeve. "alright", he conceded, "you can come"

She didn't say another word, just a huff, resting the club on her shoulder, and waiting patiently for the others to arrive.

He felt his stomach start to turn a little more. two and half weeks for five people, and he just added a sixth.

One by one the others finally left the inn, and set to hoisting their bags onto their shoulders

"So east?" muriko asked

"Actually", vafa said suddenly, "There is a little village about two days from here, i want to go there first"

Maldwyn spun on his heels, "what", he asked annoyed

"its two days from here, but it should only cost us a days travel" vaffa replied

"why", Maldwyn asked, growing angry

"The place is deserted", Vafa replied, "everyone is just gone. No bodies, no blood, i didn't even see any real damage. The farm animals were still about, just the people were nowhere to be seen, and it looked liked it had been that way for a day or two."

"so why go there" maldwyn asked exasperated

"I found some tracks, strange looking ones, all over" he explained, "i want muriko to take a look at them."

maldwyn scoffed, glaring at vafa, but he only stared back. the two locked in silence

The others stood in confused silence, unsure what was happening, much less what to do

"i guess i can spare another day", muriko offered, hoping to resolve whatever was happening.

"if someone needs help" darweshi added

"you guys have been here what", sombra asked, "over a week? and it was two days before you got here? i think they are beyond help"

"still", darweshi chidded her, she rolled her eyes.

Maldwyn was growing furious. already losing control of the party, low on food before they even left, and now he wanted to add a day ontop of that, too tired to think clearly he was almost ready to tear into vafa, when a sudden realization washed over him.

An entire village empty.

If the village really was untouched, if the animals and crops were intact, that meant food. If they were gone they wouldn't need it, he might be able to secure more than what he needed. And who knows what else they might find while they were investigating, a few coins, jewelry, family heirlooms. he could very well put a small dent in his obligation.

"fine" Maldwyn said, his voice sounding as if he were grudgingly relenting to hide his own intentions. "but no other detours", he grumbled

"thank you", Vafa said sincerely, seeming to take Maldwyns response at face value.

"so we are followign you?" muriko reasoned to vafa.

He didn't speak, but turned and headed north east.

They started east along the main road out of town, but quickly veered off, taking a much less traveled dirt path that meandered east by north east. The day was uneventful, without passing a single soul on their way to Vafa's mystery town. They talked very little, with everyone a little ill at ease from the events of the morning.

They had to stop sooner than maldwyn would have liked, as the fading light made the meager trail nearly impossible to follow. setting up camp just a bit off to the side, and not bothering with a fire. They opted to take watches in groups of two, as they didn't yet fully trust eachother.

Maldwyn offered to take first watch, eager to see if anyone had followed them, though he had seen no signs of the westernor or the shifty man in pursuit, or anyone for that matter. He knew he would sleep better if he still hadnt by the time his watch was up. Muriko had offered to join him, and knowing the hunter was keeping watch helped ease his nerves.

"Whats wrong", Muriko asked in barely a whisper, about two hours into their watch, "you seem very uneasy"

Maldwyn shifted nervously, debating how to answer. They were low on food before they started, possibly being followed, already ofcourse, and he wasn't sure he had the cash he promised. Very uneasy seemed an understatement. He quickly settled on an answer

"you are here for your village," he whispered back, "there is something you are not telling me, something personal i wager, i get that, so its fine. Sombra is all about the money, she seems to have taken a liking to vafa as well, but really, she is here for the coin."

"its the others that bother you" muriko concluded

"They aren't here for the money.", maldwyn answered, "Darweshi is nervous about something. Doireann is angry. Vafa is" he shrugged, unable to finish

"Vafa's like you" Muriko replied

maldwyn stared confused, "what do you mean"

"looking for something", she replied, "answers, purpose.", the words seem to hit maldwyn hard, and he didn't respond, just staring off nto the wilderness.

"you know it wasn't me", muriko said after a few moments had past

"what?" maldwyn stammered, snapping out of a daze

Muriko chuckled, "i wasn't the one who upset my villages gaurdian spirit"

maldwyn looked uneasy again, "i didn't say you were"

"you were thinking it", Muriko accused lightly

maldwyn could only nod his head yes, "forgive me, guilty minds assume the same in others", he said solemnly, "and you do seem very driven, determined"

Muriko smiled, "it was weeks before we knew what had angered it", she explained, "we just made blind offerings of what little we had left since it wouldn't allow us anything new, hoping to right the wrong we didn't even know we had done." she stopped to rub at her forehead, "no, I wasn't the one who upset it, i was just the first to figure out who did"

"In the middle of a clearing near our village, is an outcropping of rocks, quite out of place. it stands about 25 feet tall, maybe 30, and is very sheer on all sides. at the top of the outcrop is a large fissure leading inside. this is its lair, and we make our offerings at the base."

"It seems three older children dared and goaded a fourth to scale to the top and go in. The younger didn't know any better, the older ones, in their defence, never believed the child would make it up the rock face. Not much of a defence mind you, since a fall from any height could have caused injury or death. Damned if the younger child didn't make it though."

"when i figured out what happened, i also guessed what would come next, and i was right", the smile vanished, and she shook her head with disgust, "a few of the villagers thought to make a sacrifice of the child"

"gods", maldwyn whispered

"I had taken the child the day before. noone knew where i was going, and i was able to hide my tracks with the head start i had. I took the kid to my uncles sister-in-law a few days away. I debated not returning, wondering what they might do to me, but ultimately i knew i had to."

"The day before i arrived back was the day the more stubborn of the villagers finally decided to try and kill the beast. they were slaughtered to a last, my uncle amoung them." with that she bowed her head

"i don't understand,"maldwyn said timidly, you feel guilty for protecting the little kid"

"not at all", muriko replied, lifting her head "i feel guilty because i was not there to face the consequences of my actions however righteous i felt they were. i feel guilty because my uncle did", she shook her head again.

"but you did nothing wrong"

"thats not really the point, is it", she replied

maldwyn started to argue, but changed his mind before the sentence could start, it was simply something he didn't understand. "so thats why you are so driven", he said instead

muriko nodded, "so what did you mean when you said guilty minds assume the same in others"

maldwyn had regretted saying those words the minute they left his mouth, and had hoped muriko had missed them. "Sonja, she killed herself because of me"

"because of you?" muriko repeated back, confused

"She just happened to kill herself just as i showed up", he shook his head no, "she thought i was working for the people who betrayed her. she saw me and she panicked", he took a deep breath, "but for me, she might gotten away, she might have found help, she might have stopped them herself. Hell she might have poured that wine down their throats instead of her own."

a wide compassionate smile crossed murikos face, maldwyns first reaction was to get angry, but he could see no malice in the smile. "you don't understand me", she said with a slightly mocking tone "you did not put her in that situation, by her own account she did, knowingly."

he gave a snort of a laugh, "its a little different". he relpied

"its not so different", she countered

maldwyn gave another snort of a laugh. he leaned back against the tree trunk, rubbing his hands over his face, "i trust them", he said wearily, very eager to change the subject, "its just what they are hiding that worries me"

"its only three weeks", muriko reasoned, "and perhaps its no different than you and i"

"perhaps"

The night passed without incident, and maldwyn set them to the road as soon as there was light enough to see. They made good time, still no signs of being followed, and not passing another person. arriving at Vafa's mystery town just as the sun was setting.

The path, flanked on either side by tall grasses and bushes, led up to a collection of small, simple houses, built very close together. beside and behind the houses, the wide open tilled fields of a communial farm, with a few small fenced in pens for animals that were nowhere to be seen.

Vafa was strolling forward at a determined pace, the houses just visible in the distance spuring him forward, when muriko's rushed forward, grabbing him and yanked him down.

"what the hell", he asked, with enough sense to use a hushed voice

muriko pointed at the ground, a number of foot prints, fresh, in heavy boots. she pointed at his feet for comparrison, the prints were much smaller. she waved at the others to get down as well, though most had done so instinctually. then another hand gesture to stay put, she quietly crept forward, moving into the taller grasses off the path.

she wasn't gone long, returning with a troubled expression, she waved them all to follow and moved further away from the town before finally speaking.

"Goblins i think", she replied

"you think?", Sombra asked puzzeled

"never seen one", Muriko answered, "guardian spirit killed anything like that if it ventured into the woods long before i would have seen it. A little shorter than us, lethery looking grey skin, hairless, eyes that almost seem to glow yellow."

"Thats no goblin i've ever seen", Sombra replied

"Their skin is red, green, yellow", Darweshi added, "they are hairy on the arms, head, and back, their eyes do not glow"

"never seen one either", doireann replied, "but the stories i've heard, i'm with Darweshi and Sombra"

"what she descirbed is what we call goblins here", Maldwyn interjected, Vafa nodded in agreement

"Call them dire cows for all i care", Muriko said a little annoyed, "they are here, armed, and don't look friendly. atleast now we know what happened to the townspeople"

"no, we don't", Vafa replied, "these aren't the tracks i saw. I looked around and didn't see a single goblin, and I'd reckognize boot prints. These were circular, and", he fumbled for the word, "bumpy"

"bumpy", muriko almost laughed

"when we find one i'll point it out", he sneered

"what do we do about the dire cows" sombra teased

"I say we kill them", imediately chimed in, "A goblin raiding party is usually no more than a score, sometimes around a dozen, especially for a little place like this." he was trying to sound indifferent, but doubted he was succeeding

"yeah, but they don't usually stick around do they", sombra countered, "you know, they raid"

"maybe they got overconfident when they saw it abandoned" maldwyn reasoned

vafa turned to Muriko, "how many are there"

she stared back confused, "i don't know"

"you are the tracker", he sneered again

"i saw about three sets of tracks", she replied, "and i saw two creatures leaning up against one of the houses, so atleast three"

"are you kidding me?", Vafa growled

"what do you want", she shot back, "i can only go by the tracks i see, and this isn't the way they came in. if you want to wait while i circle the town, and hope the tracks are still readable, i will gladly tell you, ofcourse it will have to wait for monrning. for now, i know there are three"

"easy" darweshi said calmly, "The only reason we didn't walk blindly in is because she saw the tracks in the first place"

"actually it was the smell", Muriko corrected. "i smelled food cooking in an abandon town", Darweshi shot her a look of confusion and annoyance, "sorry", she offered

"They aren't gonna bring more than a simple raiding party to hit a little hovel like this" Maldwyn said, his voice growing loud as he intended to speak over anyone else

"okay, but that still leaves us potentially outnumbered over three to one." Doireann replied.

"then we even the odds" maldwyn countered, "we wait for dark, we sneak up and try to pick them off in small groups", he wasn't going to let this go.

"i don't care how dark it gets", Darweshi said, "there is no way i am going to be able to get anywhere near them by sneaking."

Maldwyn turned to muriko, "how close do you think you could get before they notice you"

"with the tall grasses, the houses, the crops, about twenty feet is all i would risk"

"i should be able to get right on top of them", maldwyn offered

"and if something goes wrong, we don't get paid", sombra concluded, the others gave her a dirty look, "and you know, you die, that would be sad"

"that was touching", doireann feigned awe, "i can sneak for a little", she added

"what does that mean, a little", muriko asked confused

Doireanne removed her robe, wearing hide pants and a shirt beneath, and high boots, a sash across her chest had numerous pouches hanging from it, she pulled one free, "this should let me get close enough to help, but only for a short time", she answered

"can you do that for everyone?" vafa inquired

"you have to have a little skill to begin with", she said shaking her head, "i'm not that good, and its the only one i brought" vafa looked down at the other pouches, then back at her, "they do different things", she explained

Sombra let out a heavy sigh, "in the dark, i can get close enough to back you up", she offered, "just make sure if things go bad you outrun red or the dire cow here", she added with a nod at Muriko

"really endearing", doireann said snidely

"she has a point", vafa chimed in, "we should have a fall back position. take one of the houses first, something sturdy, there was one on this side that looked mostly made of stone. somewhere for me and darweshi to watch you all do the real work"

"you can't sneak either?" Maldwyn asked

"sometimes i don't scream when i charge into battle, does that count"

Maldwyn lead the way, with Muriko trailing close behind. Sombra was a bit further back, with doireann beside her, having not yet used her spell. Darweshi and Vafa far in the rear. They all crept through the tall grasses, hunched as low as they could manage, approaching the first batch of homes, slowly working towards the stone house they had seen in the distance.

from the edge of the tall grass Muriko could see the two goblins from earlier, one propped against a wall, talking quietly to eachother, oblivious of the groups approach. Maldwyn was further ahead, moving along the side of one of the homes, barely twenty feet away from them, wrapped in shadows.

Muriko knocked and arrow, while the others waited tensely to rush up and help. Maldwyn pulled two throwing knives from inside his jacket, and signaled to muriko with his fingers, holding up three, then two, then one.

muriko loosed her arrow just as maldwyn flung the first blade. Both found their mark, killing one, it took a another arrow and dagger to fell the second. barely a grunt escaped the two goblins before they perished, still they all waited anxiously for signs of reinforcements, moving only when they were certain the deaths had gone unnoticed.

they advanced cautiously towards the house

The walls were stone but for a single log just before it met the ceiling. The house had only one window and a very short door that you had duck to avoid hitting the your head on the frame. it had been ransacked, with an overturned table, a couple of broken chairs and dresser that someone had taken a hatchet to. there were no goblins inside.

It looked far sturdier on the outside than the inside, with the stones stacked rather haphazardly, so that the walls in some places seemed to bow in, and out in others. A thatched roof that in spots was so thin you could see through it and dry enough to be kindling. The door frame, having warped, wouldn't even allow the door to properly close. still, they reasoned, it would work.

The house secure, doireann used her spell bag, her skin and hair turning dark and blotchy, she seemed to fade into her surroundings. She took a place just behind Maldwyn, and the group began to snake through the town, with Vafa and Darweshi hanging back just close enough that they could still see the others.

Another three goblins fell, dispatched with arrows and knives and a hardy swing from doireanns club, then another three, these resting inside one of the vacant homes. They were so shocked at the initial barage, none of them managed more than a gasp before getting cut down. The group moved quicker now, not only more confident but knowing Doireanns spell would fade soon. the turned another corner, moving up a tight alley and found another five at the side of a slightly larger home.

Muriko caught maldwyns glance and shook her head no, but maldwyn signaled back with his fingers "twelve". by his reckogning that was the most that should be left, and probably less. she seemed to frown at him, but in the darkness it was hard to make out the expression, and he didn't care. They'd gone through less than a quarter of the town and had almost killed all the goblins, his confidence was growing.

The five sat just outside the doors of one of the larger houses, greedily eating from some bloody, undercooked meat that looked to have been one of the farm animals hastily butchered. Part of the carcass sitting between them, theyd occassionaly tear off another chunk and begin set to devouring it. They had eaten quite well as of late, judging by the bulging stomachs.

The group took their time, sombra creeping closer, advancing ahead of Muriko, pulling a small axe from her waist, and readying to throw. the color began to return to Doireann, but there was little she could do now but keep to the shadows she was in, and ready to charge. Finally maldywn signaled.

The first arrow caught one in the shoulder, it yelped in pain but was still standing. Maldwyns dagger missed by an inch, stabbing into the wooden wall of the house. Sombras axe found a mark in ones neck, it went down. Muriko fired another arrow, and another goblin perished, leaving three, unwounded to fight, as Doireann, Maldwyn and Sombra charged forward.

They didn't clear the distance before a cry went out.

Sombras sabre took one, doireanns club another, maldwyn only managed to wound the third with a slash across its stomach. It swung back, a small spiked mace, but maldwyn managed to dodge it, and slew it with a thrust from his short sword.

He just looked up from the fallen combatant when two more came out of the house, they too let out yells before drawing spears. Doireann and sombra fell on them, but they backed into the doorway using it for cover. niether woman could get into the room as the spears jutted out, threatening to skewer them. Maldwyn lobbed a knife into the room, catching one in the chest, but another goblin took its place. he couldn't tell how many more were inside

He turned to call for Vafa and darweshi, thinking their shields would let them push in and finish the goblins off, when he heard the whistle of an arrow, but never saw a hit. Another fired, the sound heading off in a different direction. He turned to find Muriko firing at something on the side of the house. Suddenly she faltered, lowering the bow, her jaw dropping.

"Fall Back!" she screamed, firing again, but taking steps backwards as she did.

Maldwyn and the others balked, but the tone of Murikos voice assured them something was very wrong, reluctantly they withdrew from the open door, the goblins inside hesistant to follow, simply held their ground and didn't prusue.

He made it only a few feet when he heard the whistle of an arrow break the air again, then another, and another, and another. coming so quickly, you almost couldn't distinguish one from another. Muriko hunched down, no longer firing, but instead scrambling for cover.