PDA

View Full Version : Blood money for wands in pathfinder

mjnousak
2015-01-29, 08:21 AM
Is it legal to use the Blood Money spell to create materials needed to make a wand? Not create the wand itself (Which IS stated to be against the rules in Blood Money's description), just components necessary for it.
Using the formula for a basic wand (From Paizo's Website)
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/magicItemCreation.html
"To create a magic wand, a character needs a small supply of materials, the most obvious being a baton or the pieces of the wand to be assembled. The cost for the materials is subsumed in the cost for creating the wand: 375 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster. Wands are always fully charged (50 charges) when created."
Lets say it's a level 1 spell and I'm fifth level (to meet the CL requirement to get the Craft Wand feat), so that'd run me about 1875gp. (375x1x5)
And let's use a really simple spell as an example like Obscuring Mist. No costly components, just paying for the item creation. So I have a baton, and know the spell in question.
"The creator must have prepared the spell to be stored (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any focuses the spell requires. Fifty of each needed material component are required (one for each charge). Material components are consumed when work begins, but focuses are not."
As material components (therefore including the gold you'd summon up to use from Blood Money) are consumed immediatly, theoretically, I could cut myself, take 1d6 damage and 4 STR damage to create the Wand of Obscuring Mist. I'd need to go find a Cleric to restore my STR (Or wait for it to recover on its own because I'm a witch and have no business trying to punch people when I could be hexing them and cackling them into submission). But hey, borderline free wands. And it gives emphasis to the old phrase "I made this with my Blood, Sweat, and Tears" phrase. (I have a 12 in STR, so I'm not completely crippling myself here as long as I stick to 1st level wands. And yes, I know I should run this by my DM because it could be completely vetoed, but I wanted ya'll's professional opinions.)
EDIT
On a side note, if that plan is not valid, simply find a wizard with the Fabricate spell and have them turn your Blood Money itemsinto real versions so they don't up and vanish so quickly.

DarkWhisper
2015-01-29, 12:00 PM
Link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money)(...) cast Blood Money just before casting another spell (...) your blood transforms into one material component of your choice required by that second spell

So... no.

You could use it to mitigate the cost of a wand containing a spell with a costly material component (e.g. Wand of Stoneskin), but the base creation cost of the wand (375 x Spell Level x Caster Level) are unaffected by Blood Money; those materials are needed to create the wand and are not a spell's material component.

The Random NPC
2015-02-01, 01:34 AM
You should be able to use Blood Money to fuel Fabricate to create the material needed to craft the wand.

EDIT: That's what I get for not reading your entire post.