PDA

View Full Version : stealing from 5.0

j_spencer93
2015-01-29, 09:35 AM
Ok my players do not want to play 5.0 until more material is released by my warlock player has mentioned wishing some of the eldritch invocation existed in our game. Can they directly be swapped into 3.5, it seems so but maybe i am missing something.

Segev
2015-01-29, 09:37 AM
This would be a very case-by-case thing. Give it a try, and reserve the right to tell him to change it if it proves game-breaking.

It should be feasible to adapt most of the Invocations to 3.5; how much work needs doing to manage it is another question.

j_spencer93
2015-01-29, 09:40 AM
Ok i will remember that.
second question, the pact of blade feature, would it be feasible to make it a ACF?

Crake
2015-01-29, 09:47 AM
Ok i will remember that.
second question, the pact of blade feature, would it be feasible to make it a ACF?

I believe the pact of blade feature could quite easily be duplicated with either the item familiar or ancestral relic feats (probably remove the good requirement from ancestral relic, I always found that a bit silly).

j_spencer93
2015-01-29, 09:55 AM
I agree that it could be honestly. Looking the feature over i am pretty sure item familiar actually does its job so that one will be a no.

Svata
2015-01-29, 11:00 AM
Stealing the improved spring attack/pseudopounce from makes martials infinitely better.

j_spencer93
2015-01-29, 11:48 AM
improved spring attack? psuedopounce?
I think i missed those or something.

Forrestfire
2015-01-29, 12:09 PM
In 5th edition, everyone can move and full attack in the same around. It's a decently common houserule in 3.5, as well, from what I've seen.

In any case, for Pact of the Blade, I'd change Hideous Blow to not be utterly terrible, and then combine it with Ancestral Relic. Something like this:

Pact of the Blade
Prerequisites: Hideous Blow invocation, character level 3rd
Benefit: You have bound a weapon to your soul (either by your own efforts or as a gift). This weapon can be "drawn" out of thin air as a swift action, or as part of the Hideous Blow invocation. This weapon is treated as an ancestral relic (see the Book of Exalted Deeds) for the purposes of enchanting it with sacrificed items. If your pact weapon leaves your hand for more than 1 minute, it dissipates back from whence it came, and must be summoned again to be used.
In addition, when you use Hideous Blow, you are treated as if you had a Base Attack Bonus equal to your Warlock caster level, and if you so choose, can use the invocation as a full-round action to make a full attack, gaining iterative attacks based on your new BAB as normal.

So now you've got a gish-in-a-can feat, and the pact of the blade fluff to go with it.

j_spencer93
2015-01-29, 12:11 PM
i actually like that. been finding alot of homebrew lately (mostly posted on here...wonder why?) that i like lol think this is basically exactly what he wanted anyways.
Oh and would enabling move and full attack break the game or just not make melee look so bad?

Forrestfire
2015-01-29, 12:53 PM
It wouldn't really break the game. Overall, most competently-built martial characters manage to get some way to move and full attack anyway, be it through swift action teleports, or travel devotion, or one of the many sources of pounce... It'd make life easier for most characters, freeing up resources to spend on more fun things.

Course, if you apply it to monsters as well, many of them get much more lethal, by sheer weight of attack numbers.

j_spencer93
2015-01-29, 12:56 PM
ya was thinking that about monsters. some of them being able to move and full attack is really scary.

Forrestfire
2015-01-29, 01:36 PM
Personally, I'd give it to the players and maybe some NPCs, but only to monsters on a case-by-case/boss monster basis, or something.

j_spencer93
2015-01-29, 01:40 PM
think i will do that and see how it works.