PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wild Caller Synthesist

CallMeJefe
2015-01-29, 01:34 PM
Hi playground! I'm starting a small online game with some friends of mine, and the GM has suggested that we optimize our characters the best we can to deal with the challenges he has laid out for us. We're starting at 4th level, with 9,000 GP starting cash. Anything on the d20pfsrd is available for use, with third party material up to GM approval on a case by case basis. That said, I really like the Summoner class, and the Synthesist archetype in particular. I'll likely be playing a Half-Elf for the +1/4 evolution points favored class bonus. My question is this: Is Wild Caller worth it? I'd be losing a lot of versatility to gain another +1/4 evolution points. Furthermore, the extra points come in chunks every four levels, which may be a little spread out.
Also, any tips or tricks to get the most out of a Synthesist Summoner(aside from Pounce + natural weapon spam with add-ons) would be appreciated.

TL;DR: Wild Caller or no?

torrasque666
2015-01-29, 02:06 PM
Can't be taken together. Wild Caller modifies Eidolon while Synthesist outright replaces it. As per the archetype rules, its an invalid combination.

kardar233
2015-01-29, 02:07 PM
Well there are a few important things to note about Wild Caller.

For one, it's true that Summon Nature's Ally loses a lot in versatility compared to Summon Monster, and losing Summon Monster off your regular spell list means you don't have any access to it. However (I haven't checked in PF, but it's this way in 3.5), in terms of raw fighting ability Nature's Ally holds its own through toughness and grappling capability, at least until you start getting Summoned Monsters with nice SLAs.

Another nasty thing is that you lose Spell-Like Gate at level 19, especially as Gate isn't on your class list, but campaigns don't often run till 19 so that probably won't be a problem.

Wild Caller does lose you some good evolutions, though, like Immunity, Damage Reduction, Dimension Door, Incorporeal, etc.

On the other hand, it gets you those bonus evolution points.... and also (by way of omission) it allows you to use your Summon Nature's Ally SLA even when you have your Eidolon-suit out.

CallMeJefe
2015-01-29, 03:00 PM
Can't be taken together. Wild Caller modifies Eidolon while Synthesist outright replaces it. As per the archetype rules, its an invalid combination.

To start, my GM has already okayed the combination, so for the purposes of this build that's irrelevant. Secondly, Wild Caller's modified Eidolon class feature comes with this footnote:
"This ability alters the normal Summoner's Eidolon class feature, but is otherwise identical to that class feature."
It changes the list of evolutions you can pick from, not the nature or function of the class feature. By RAW this disqualifies it, but there's nothing contradictory or harmful about the two archetypes stacking.

Almarck
2015-01-29, 03:38 PM
The way archetypes work is that if something is changed or removed, it means the class feature cannot be altered later on, so by RAW, it's unfeasible. But as your GM has approved it, therefore it goes.

Anyways. That said, you'll lose summon monster. One of the neat things about summon monster is that with some careful thinking, you can summon monsters to cast spells for you. Effectively, you can up your spellcasting. Summon Nature's Ally doesn't have this benefit.

icefractal
2015-01-29, 03:51 PM
If you're staying in merged form most of the time (and why wouldn't you?) then the SM -> SNA change doesn't affect you as much. And if it's read to allow using SNA while the suit is active, it's a pure improvement.

Vhaidara
2015-01-29, 04:02 PM
And if it's read to allow using SNA while the suit is active, it's a pure improvement.

To be fair, that's true even without synthesist, because then you get your big beatstick and all your little beatsticks.

icefractal
2015-01-29, 08:54 PM
Without Synthesist, it's a tough call between Wild Caller and Master Summoner for eidolon+summons. The WC eidolon is more HD, more evo points, but because of the worse chassis it ends up not much better in combat, and restricted from some options. Depends on what purpose you're using the Eidolon for and what level you're at, I guess.

MS and Synthesist unambiguously don't combine, sadly.

grarrrg
2015-01-29, 09:11 PM
and also (by way of omission) it allows you to use your Summon Nature's Ally SLA even when you have your Eidolon-suit out.

Umm...no.
"This ability otherwise functions like the standard summoner's summon monster I ability and replaces that ability."
That would include 'no summons while Eidolon is out'.

It changes the list of evolutions you can pick from, not the nature or function of the class feature. By RAW this disqualifies it, but there's nothing contradictory or harmful about the two archetypes stacking.

Paizo has admitted that some archetypes _can_ combine with little/no issues (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rai).
But yes, strictly RAW it is not allowed.