PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Custom item : Boots of Hovering (help for pricing please)

duboisjf
2015-01-29, 01:52 PM
I need help to price a custom pair of boots

What they do :

The boots allow the wearer, who must have at least 1 rank in the fly skill, to take 20 when attempting to hover with the fly skill. Effect is continuous.

I think itcan be compared to Boots of levitation, but activation time is easier (continuous vs move) but otherwise limited compared to levitation because it can’t be used to move up or down. Also you don’t get automatic success on the check DC 15 because of possible penalty (armor, wind, etc.)

Do you think that these limitations balance out with the continuous effect ? Should it be cheaper or more expensive than Boots of levitation ?

The reason why I need this : My aasimar cleric level 9 just gained a 20ft fly speed with poor maneuvrability and I can’t afford to put much rank in the fly skill and I need my medium armor. I would like to raise over the melee and hover to cast.

I'm also open to hear about other way to achieve this with minimum investment.

Thanks

Rastapopolos
2015-01-30, 11:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ&t=0m24s

Seriously though your probably better just activating boots of levitation every 3 mins for the rest of your life... The chances it will come up in combat is pretty slim. If your really worried you can just tell your DM that you are going to activate them every 15 rounds when your not in combat so you will have at least 15 rounds of levitate every combat.

Your dead set on going the fly route though there are PF rules for a skill item- the cost is-
bonus (competence) squared x 100gp (I'm picturing little stabiliser fins or something lol)
paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/magicItemCreation.html

however this seems strictly inferior to levitate. Ask your DM if levitate makes you weightless allowing you to ignore gravity when flying...

Qc Storm
2015-01-30, 01:00 PM
Considering the topic's title I was fully expecting one of those bad-good cursed items.

Boots of Hoovering may sound useful, but they actually turn your hands and feed into hooves.

ellindsey
2015-01-30, 02:22 PM
Considering the topic's title I was fully expecting one of those bad-good cursed items.

Boots of Hoovering may sound useful, but they actually turn your hands and feed into hooves.

I was thinking that they'd be useful for rapidly picking up large numbers of small items. Originally intended for cleaning, but repurposed by thieves for clearing out treasure hoards.

Ravens_cry
2015-01-30, 03:08 PM
I was thinking that they'd be useful for rapidly picking up large numbers of small items. Originally intended for cleaning, but repurposed by thieves for clearing out treasure hoards.
BUT every 1d4 rounds spent hoovering up small metal objects reduces your speed by 5ft.:smallbiggrin: