PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Use More Homebrew! - McDT2's Miscellaneous "Masterpieces"

Mcdt2
2015-01-29, 01:56 PM
As my signature would attest, I am a fan of homebrew. In fact, all too often I make homebrew based on other homebrew, or styled after other 'brews. Sometimes, my homebrew is just too small to bother posting in its own thread. To that end, I am using this thread to place various smaller works I have created which I feel are complete enough to show to others.

PEACHing is accepted, even welcomed, for every piece of 'brew in this thread. These works are in varying degrees of completeness, though I will try to note which are more incomplete than others. Speaking of notes, I shall list in spoilers my thoughts on each post below the rules text.

Post 1: Weapon Focus Redux (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18734173&postcount=2)
Post 2: Trick arrows (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18734301&postcount=3)
Post 3: Shield Feats/Combat Style Feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18734486&postcount=4)

Mcdt2
2015-01-29, 02:02 PM
First up, a quick redux of Weapon Focus I created for the Request a Homebrew thread:

Weapon Focus
Benefits: When you take this feat, choose one of the following weapon groups: light blades; heavy blades; flails and chains; spears, staves, and polearms; bows and crossbows; hammers and maces; axes and picks; or slings and polearms. You gain a +1 to attack rolls with all weapons in that group.

Light Blades: dagger, punching dagger, sickle, kukri, shortsword, rapier, kama, sai.
Heavy Blades: longsword, scimitar, greatsword, scythe, falchion, bastard sword, two-bladed sword.
Flails and Chains: flail, heavy flail, dire flail, spiked chain, whips.
Spears, Staves, and Polearms: shortspear, spear, longspear, trident, quarterstaff, glaive, guisarme, halberd, lance, ranseur, dwarven urgrosh.
Bows and Crossbows: shortbows, longbows, composite shortbows, composite longbows, light crossbow, heavy crossbow, hand crossbow, repetaing heavy crossbow, repeating light crossbow.
Hammers and Maces: light mace, club, heavy mace, morningstar, light hammer, greatclub, warhammer, gnome hooked hammer.
Axes and Picks: throwing axe, handaxe, light pick, battleaxe, heavy pick, greataxe, dwarven waraxe, orc double axe, dwarven urgrosh.
Slings and Thrown Weapons: slings, dagger, club, shortspear, dart, javelin, spear, throwing axe, light hammer, trident, sai, bolas, net, shuriken.

In addition, you gain a special benefit when wielding a weapon of the type you chose. The benefit only applies to that weapon, not any others you might also be holding.

Light Blades: You may add your Dexterity modifier to damage.
Heavy Blades: You can use the handguard (or handle in the case of the scythe) to guard against attacks, gaining a +1 bonus to shield AC. This ability stacks with other shield bonuses, including Two Weapon Defense and actual shields.
Flails and Chains: By wrapping the chain around an opponent's throat, you may use this weapon in a grapple with no penalty.
Spears, Staves, and Polearms: If the weapon has reach, you may switch your grip on it as a swift action to lose reach, but gain the ability to attack adjacent foes. If it does not have reach, you may switch your grip as a swift action to gain it, but lose the ability to attack adjacent foes with it as usual.
Bows and crossbows: You no longer provoke attacks of opportunity for firing your weapon.
Hammers and Maces: On a successful critical hit, the enemy must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your Strength mod) or be knocked prone. Bonuses against being tripped can be applied to this save.
Axes and Picks: On a successful critical hit, the enemy continues taking damage each round equal to your Strength modifier. This damage can be stopped with a DC 15 Heal check or a single point of magical healing.
Slings and Thrown Weapons: You can reload/draw these weapons as a free action, if you could not already. In addition, increase the range increment of each weapon by +20 feet.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you do, it applies to a different weapon group.

Fighters may take this feat as a fighter bonus feat.

Since this was created as a request, I don't personally use this feat myself; however, I might do so if I were to run a game with newer players, as my Interesting Weapons project is a little bit complex.

I didn't expand upon this feat any further up the chain (Weapon Specialization et al) in the thread, but at the very least I'd say they all apply to a chosen weapon group instead of a single weapon. Could be used with Unearthed Arcana's weapon group proficiency system, but for the fact that I altered the group to be based more on weapon design than typical users (ie no "Druid Weapons" group).

Mcdt2
2015-01-29, 02:20 PM
Next, an attempt at bringing some diversity to the field of archery. They are designed with Pathfinder in mind, although they should work well in 3.5 as well.

These arrows are specialty designs, often requiring a Craft (Fletching) check, and sometimes a Craft (Alchemy) check as well. Any arrows listed below can be made as a crossbow bolt (though not as part of a repeating crossbow clip) as well; if they are costed in a bundle (ex. "2 gp per 20") then double the price. If they are purchased individually, the price is the same.

I note they require Craft checks, but I've yet to actually make any. For now, assume Fletching checks are DC 15, and Alchemy is the same as the alchemical item it is based off of.

Ropecutter
These arrows have an inverse head shaped like a bladed V, or occasionally a bladed crescent shape. These arrows deal slashing damage instead, and change the base crit chance of the bow to 19-20/x2, instead of 20/x3. These arrows, as the name suggests, are often used to sunder or damage objects at a distance, which their shape enables you to do.
Cost 2 gp per 20 (1 sp each)
Weight 3 lbs.

Blunt
These arrows have a blunted or rounded head. They deal bludgeoning damage, and can be used to deal nonlethal damage with no penalty. They reduce the base crit multiplier to x2, however.
Weight 3 lbs.

Flight Arrows
Constructed of a lightweight shaft and special fletching, these arrows have increased range (+10 feet to the range increment of shortbows, +20 to longbows, +40 to greatbows; these are applied before multipliers such as Far Shot and the distance enhancement). However, the smaller arrows deal damage as an arrow one size smaller (for Medium creatures, 1d4 for shortbows, 1d6 for longbows, and 2d4 for greatbows).
Weight 2 lbs.

These arrows assume greatbows exist (and that the stats I use for them are the same as in the books; honestly not certain that is the case). Ignore that section if they do not.

Thorn
These arrows are covered with a number of small thorns that, while not as painful as a barbed arrow, cause painful bleeding. A struck creatures begins bleeding for 1 point of damage each turn. As normal for bleed damage, it can be stopped by a single point of magical healing or a DC 10 Heal check.
Weight 3 lbs.

Pitch
Rather than being specially crafted, these arrows are more typically quickly crafted on the field with standard arrows, pitch, and a length of cloth. A pitch arrows needs to be lit before use; this is a full-round action with a flint and steel, or a swift action with a tindertwig or a fire within 5 feet. You can light up to six arrows with the same action, which burn for 2 rounds before going out. A pitch arrow is awkwardly heavy and halves the range increment of the bow when used. However, they add 1 fire damage if they hit, and if they fail a DC 15 Reflex save, the target catches on fire (1d6 fire damage per round until extinguished).
Cost 1.2 gp per 10 (12 cp each)
Weight 3 lbs.
Special Pitch arrows can be crafted quickly, with no skill at fletching, by converting regular arrows. If you have on hand a source of arrows (1 sp each), bits of cloth (1 cp per arrow), and a pot of heated pitch (1 gp buys enough pitch for 100 arrows; thus, 1 cp each. It takes roughly an hour to heat up the pitch), then you can create a pitch arrow with no Craft check as a full-round action that provokes opportunity attacks. Thus, an unskilled laborer can make 10 pitch arrows per minute, or 600 per hour.

Shrieker
These arrows have special grooves carved into the shaft, which cause them to emit a high pitched whine during flight which can be heard from up to 500 feet away (DC 5 Listen check).
Weight 3 lbs.

Thunderbolt
Instead of being made of metal, the head of this arrow is a small piece of carved thunderstone. When the arrow strike a hard surface it explodes, deafening all creatures within 5 feet (Fort 15 negates). If the attack misses, locate which square it lands in as though it were a splash weapon, except treat the range increment as being 1d3x5 feet for this purpose.
Cost 20 gp each.
Weight --

Pheromone
A pheromone arrowhead is coated with a potent smelling alchemical substance that reacts with liquids, such as blood or sweat, which coats any target struck by such an arrow. The scent lasts for 1 hour, or until washed off (takes 1 minute), and makes it much easier to track them by scent (-10 to DC). Furthermore, the scent makes the target smell like weak and injured prey, setting off most predators. Any creature with the scent ability gets a +2 untyped bonus on melee attack and damage rolls as long as the scent lasts.
Cost 15 gp each
Weight --

Dye
This arrow is topped with a small vial of colored dye. Dye arrows require a touch attack roll and deal no damage; however the target is marked with a powerful dye. The dye comes in 4 colors (red, blue, green, or black) and is difficult to wash off; it cannot be removed (except by magic) for 72 hours, and washes out naturally within two weeks.
Cost 1 gp each.
Weight --

Pheremone and Dye arrows actually are alterations of arrows found on the Pathfinder SRD, by the same names IIRC.

Smoke
The shaft of this arrow is coated with the same substance that makes up a smokestick. When fired, the friction of the air ignites it. It leaves a trail of smoke showing the path of the arrow (provides no penalties, but may reveal your position), and when it reaches the target, it creates the effect of a smokestick. If the attack misses, locate which square it lands in as though it were a splash weapon, except treat the range increment as being 1d3x5 feet for this purpose.
Cost 20 gp each.
Weight --

Noxious Smoke
As a //smoke arrow//, except it replicates the effect of a noxious smokestick instead.
Cost 40 gp each.
Weight --

Noxious smokesticks are located on p121 of the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Tangleshot
This arrow is topped with a small vial of the glue used in tanglefoot bags. Tangleshot arrows require a touch attack roll and deal no damage; instead they replicate the effects of a tanglefoot bag. However, the reduced amount of the glue means this arrow is less effective than an actual tanglefoot bag (DC 10 Reflex save, DC 12 Strength check to break, 10 points of slashing damage to cut through, DC 10 Concentration check).
Cost 20 gp each.
Weight --

I feel trick arrows do a lot to give archers some level of utility, especially at lower levels. However, much like alchemy itself, I fear the alchemical arrows may be too expensive for what they do. Probably inevitable, since I based the price off of alchemical items. YMMV.

Mcdt2
2015-01-29, 02:50 PM
These feats were designed to be used with Frozen_Feet's Synergy feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?154811-Feat-synergy) system, as well as my Interesting Weapons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?374313-Blades-and-Bows-More-Interesting-Weapons-for-Interesting-Adventurers) project. Both are very complex and fiddly pieces of homebrew, and not recommended for more casual games.

Shield Focus [General] [Fighter] [Tenacity]
Prerequisite: Shield Proficiency.
Benefit: Choose 1 type of shield. When using that type of shield, you gain the ability to use its basic weapon trick, as though you had Weapon Focus with it. Furthermore, you may add that shield’s AC bonus to your touch AC. If you have five [Tenacity] feats, you may add it to your flat footed AC as well, though you still lose it when flanked.
For each 5 [fighter] feats, you may take Shield Focus with another type of shield.
When wielding a shield and fighting defensively (or using Combat Expertise), you may forgo all shield bash attempts you might have made. If you do, you may attempt to parry an enemy attack, making an opposed attack roll plus your shield’s AC bonus; the attack is negated if your roll is higher than the result of their original attack roll. This may be attempted 1/round plus once per three [Tenacity] feats you possess.
Special: If you have Weapon Focus in the chosen shield(s), you may act as though you had the Weapon Specialization for the purpose of using the advanced trick(s).

Shield Specialization [General] [Fighter] [Tenacity]
Prerequisite: Shield Focus
Benefit: You gain the ability to use the advanced Weapon Trick for the shields you have Shield Focus with, as though you had Weapon Specialization. Furthermore, you may perform a shield bash after succesfully parrying with a shield. If you have 5 [fighter] feats, this shield bash does double damage.
If you have 4 [tenacity] feats, your shield gains a number of extra hit points equal to your Con Mod x your number of [Tenacity] feats. At 8 [Tenacity] feats, your shield's hardness is doubled. These effects only apply while you wield the shield; they have no effect when wiedled by others unless they also possess this feat.

Shield Charge [General] [Fighter] [Brawn]
Prerequisites: Shield Focus, Improved Shield Bash, Improved Bull Rush.
Benefit: If you perform a shield bash at the end of a charge and hit, you can make a bull rush attempt. If it is successful, the creature is knocked prone in addition to being moved. If the movement would cause them to hit a wall or other obstacle, they take 1d6 damage for each 5 feet more they would have moved.
If you have 5 feats, any shield bashes at the end of a charge do double damage. For each 10 [fighter] feats, you do another +1d6 damage per 5 feet of extra movement when they are bullrushed into a wall.

A game using the Feat Synergy system but not my Interesting Weapons could conceivably use these feats. Shield focus would lose the ability gained at 5 [Tenacity], and you would simply ignore all references to Weapon Tricks.

These are feats which represent special weapon techniques, often augmenting the Weapon Tricks, or with abilities too powerful for a Weapon Trick. Some represent a technique for fighting with a singular weapon, some with a pair of the same weapon, and some with certain pairings of distinct weapons. Likewise, some require very specific weapons (ex. katana), some more generic (ex. any sword).

Some feats listed here aren't tied to any kind of weapon at all, and instead focus on usage of magic in a way that is beyond [Metamagic] feats.

[B]Iaijutsu Focus [Fighter] [Guile] [Finesse]
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (Katana), Improved Initiative
Benefit: When using the basic weapon trick of the katana (i.e. draw sword as free action, next attack gains +1d6 damage), you may make a special roll called a Focus roll. This roll is a d20+your fighter level (samurai levels count as full fighter levels for this roll)+your Wisdom Modifier+your number of [Guile] feats. If the result is a 10 or higher, you deal +1d6 damage (in addition to the 1d6 from the basic trick, plus all normal damage). For each 5 points by which your result exceeds 10, you deal an extra +1d6 damage (so 15-19 gets +2d6, 20-24 gets +3d6, etc.).

This feat counts as Weapon Specialization for the purposes of unlocking the katana's Advanced Trick. Furthermore, 1/encounter when using the advanced trick, you can instead cause the triggering attack to automatically miss, regardless of the damage you deal, as long as your attack hit. You may use this ability once more time per encounter for each five [Finesse] feats you possess.

Lastly, you gain a +1 to all Perception and Sense Motive rolls for every 2 [Fighter] feats you possess.

Barrage of Missiles [Fighter] [Finesse]
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (any ranged or thrown weapon), Rapid Shot, Manyshot
Benefits: As a full attack action, you may shoot a large number of arrows (or throw weapons), dealing damage to each creature with a 5 foot radius burst, chosen within the maximum range of your weapon. All affected creatures must make a Reflex Save (DC=10+1/2 your level+your Dex Mod+your [finesse]; range penalties also apply to this DC), or take damage equal to 1 projectile, plus your number of [Finesse] feats; successful saves result in half damage. You may add 1 extra projectile's damage for each five [Fighter] feats you possess.

For each four [Fighter] feats, you may increase the radius of the burst by 5 feet. If you are ever caught in the burst, you take no damage, but allies still do.

Special: Using this feat consume an amount of ammunition equal to the number of affected squares. Furthermore, only weapons you can reload as a free action may be used in this manner; as such the allowed weapons include, but is not limited to: bows, thrown weapons (with Quick Draw), hand/light crossbows (with Rapid Reload), repeating crossbows, or slings (with the basic trick).

If firearm rules are used, any guns can be used, as long as it meets the above criteria. In addition, using this feat requires a d20 to be rolled for misfire chance, which is increased by 4 for this roll.

Phalanx Fighting [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (any polearm), Shield Focus (any except buckler)
Benefit: You may use any two-handed polearm one handed as long as you hold a shield other than a buckler in the other hand. You're still considered to be wielding it two-handed for the purposes of damage rolls, Power Attack, and similar. Whenever you take the full defense action with a polearm in one hand and a shield in the other, you can still make attacks of opportunity, and you're automatically considered to be readied and set against charges, if your weapon is capable of being used as such.

You and any number of characters with this feat may lock shields together into a shield wall. The wall must form a straight line, unbroken by empty spaces. Each character gains a +1 bonus to their Shield bonus, to a maximum of their number of [Fighter] feats. If a member of the wall is killed, the wall splits into two unless another character with this feat (who was not part of this wall, but may have been part of another) moves forward to take the space as a free action, as though they had readied an action.
Note For the purposes of this feat, polearms include: shortspears, longspears, quarterstaves, glaives, halberds, and ranseurs.

Crack The Earth [Fighter] [Brawn]
Prerequisites Weapon Focus (Any bludgeoning weapon), Weapon Specialization, Power Attack
Benefit You may, as a standard action, smash your weapon into the ground in front of you. This creates a tremor that is a 15 foot cone. Any creatures in the area take damage equal to your Strength modifier and must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your BAB + your Strength + the number of feats you possess) or be knocked prone. Furthermore, that area becomes difficult terrain permanently (or until repaired by magical or mundane means).

The area of effect increases by 5 feet for every 4 [Fighter] feats you possess.

[B]Magical Duelist [Supernatural]
Prerequisites Combat Casting, Improved Counterspell, Spell Penetration
Benefits You excel in fighting fellow mages in one-on-one encounters. As a swift action, you may choose to focus yourself on fighting a single enemy. This focus last until the end of the encounter, until they are killed, or you choose to end this focus as a free action. While focused on an enemy, you may counter any spell they cast as an immediate action. You get a +5 bonus to CL checks to overcome their SR, and a +5 bonus to Concentration checks forced by that opponent.

Your extreme focus leaves you open to others, however. You cannot cast defensively, and you are considered flat-footed against any other opponent. Further, you take a -2 penalty on saves against spells cast by someone other than the target of your focus.

Alternatively, 1/encounter per 5 [Supernatural] feats, you may, as an immediate action, sacrifice a spell slot as though counter-spelling and attempt to clash magically with another who is attempting to cast a spell. This clash often manifests as beams of energy between you and them, although it may appear as walls of light, crackling aether storms, or some other effect. You and the opposing caster must make opposed caster level checks; if either side beats the other by 5 or more, the loser takes the original effect plus 1d6 damage per level of the caster who used this feat. This damage is pure energy, and not affected by resistances or DR (it is however, subject to SR; use same roll as spell if applicable). Bonuses to overcome spell resistance apply to this caster level check.

If neither caster beats the others' check by 5 or more, then the clash continues on the next round and both casters lose their actions until the clash is resolved. They may surrender the clash as a free action, taking the effect as though they had lost the clash. A caster with this feat may specifically attempt to hold back the spell instead of reflecting it at the attacker; in this case they get a +5 to the CL check but the clash only ends if the original caster wins or surrenders (in the latter case, they suffer no damage or other effect from the spell).

Disrupt Ki [Guile] [Tactical]
Prerequisites Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist
Benefits Your mastery of pressure points gives you access to the following tactics:

Suppress Supernatural- By expending a use of Stunning Fist, you can cut off a foe's ability to use (Sp), (Su), and spellcasting abilities. This ability works on an unarmed strike, and has the same DC as Stunning Fist. If they fail, they cannot use SLAs, supernatural abilities, or cast spells for a number of rounds equal to one-half your [Guile] feats. If they succeed, they instead recieve a penalty to caster level and any relevant checks equal to your character level, and a penalty to save DC's equal to 1/4 your [guile] feats.
Disable Limb- By expending a use of Stunning Fist, you can attempt to cut off an opponent's use of one of their limbs. This ability works on an unarmed strike, and has the same DC as Stunning Fist. If they fail the save, they lose the use of one limb of your choice. The loss of an arm (or equivalent striking limb) gives a -4 penalty to attack rolls, and makes them unable to use that arm, making them unable to wield weapons two-handed, use any weapon in that hand, or use any shield on that arm. Loss of both arms inflicts -8 to attack and prevents use of any weapons (although unarmed strikes are still possible via legs or head). Loss of a leg inflicts -4 to AC and halves movement. Loss of both legs renders them prone and flat-footed. All these effects last for a number of rounds equal to one-half your [Guile] feats.
Healing Touch- By expending a use of Stunning Fist, you can heal others of pain and many conditions. This tactic takes 10 minutes to use, and removes 1d6 nonlethal damage per level. It also grants them a new save against any poison, disease, or other condition afflicting them, at a bonus equal to your number of [Guile] feats. It also automatically removes certain conditions: fatigue, exhaustion, paralysis, blindness, and deafness.

Retiarius Style [Fighter] [Finesse]
Prerequisites Weapon Focus (Any polearm, net), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Net), Two-Weapon Fighting
Benefit You specialize in fighting with a net in one hand and a polearm in the other (generally a short spear or trident). You can use a net as a one handed weapon, which counts as a light weapon for the purposes of two weapon fighting. When fighting with a net in one hand and a polearm in the other, after entangling an opponent with your net you may take a 5 foot step towards that enemy and make a full attack with your polearm. If you had successfully knocked them prone with the net's basic trick, the first attack you make against that turn automatically threatens a critical hit (in addition to the +4 to hit a prone opponent).

Your net gets a +1 to the escape/burst DCs and to the Concentration checks needed to cast while entangle for each 3 [Fighter] feats you possess.

You gain a +1 Dodge bonus to AC for each 4 [Finesse] feats you possess.

Iaiutsu Focus, obviously, is an attempt to replace the skill of the same name. It is Wisdom based because the Samurai fix I use also is, and it grants Perception/Sense Motive bonuses because it aids in dueling. If using 3.5, replace Perception with Spot.

Barrage of Missiles was an attempt at giving archers some earlier access to the ability to rip apart hordes of weak monsters (later levels allowing for Rapid Shot/Manyshot as well as splitting arrows for that purpose.) Haven't had much chance to playtest that one, but is seems fine. The inclusion of firearms in this feat is more so others don't need to adjudicate that circumstance, as I don't use them myself.

Phalanx Fighting may be a little bit strong, but I felt it was a fighting style which needed the support.

I didn't put much thought/effort into Crack the Earth, honestly, but I thought it was a cool idea.

Magical Duelist was an attempt to make counterspelling (and in general, Mage vs Mage duels) a much more enticing prospect, without stepping on the toes of countermagic/antimage classes which so often gain the ability to make Immediate action counterspells. This feat comes with both penalties and bonuses, and enough other abilities to still be desirable by such countermage classes.

Disrupt Ki is a blatant attempt at making chi-blockers from A:tlA and LoK. Besides that, however, it grants monks some much needed power against casters and fighter-types alike, and lets them cure many conditions even before the cleric can.

Retiarius Style exists basically for the sole purpose of gladiator fights, mimicking the classic roman Retiarius fighters. Nothing specifically bars you from using two-handed polearms with it, by the way, if you somehow find a way to wield one in one hand (or grow a third arm, either way).