PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Puzzle Design Help: Electrical Wiring (SWSE)

Echobeats
2015-01-29, 03:52 PM
Hi all

I'm running a prewritten campaign in Star Wars: Saga Edition in which the heroes will shortly be exploring the subterranean basement levels of a ruined temple. There is a control room with a backup generator which can power one level at a time. It's supposed to be a Mechanics check to get it working, but I thought it might be more fun to make a puzzle out of it, i.e. how to complete the circuit to route power to the level you want. The above-ground levels no longer exist, having been flattered by aerial bombardment, so this could be a complicating factor.

Does anyone have an idea how I could design such a puzzle so as to be challenging but sensible?

Thanks

Kami2awa
2015-01-30, 02:04 PM
Sounds a good idea!

Various ways to make it more interesting would be to have limited power (old damaged system, perhaps) that means not all floors can be switched on simultaneously. Or possibly the time that the generator can be on is limited (maybe it overheats). Have you played Five Nights At Freddies? :belkar:

Otherwise you could have key-operated switches (requiring the PCs to find the keys to operate them) for each floor, or missing fuses or other modules that need to be found and replaced.

Echobeats
2015-01-30, 02:35 PM
Thanks. It's already written into the adventure that it has power for one level at a time. Obviously there aren't as many levels as there used to be but it will be interesting seeing whether they decide to go back after finding their way through to Level -2 and then come back to the staircase in the dark.

It's also limited to six hours, but the PCs won't know that... :smallamused:

"Hunt the right length fuse" is a good idea. Maybe I can make it so that only a certain combination of lengths can plug all the holes.