PDA

View Full Version : Speculation A possible homebrew patch for the Ranger

Shining Wrath
2015-01-29, 03:55 PM
The Ranger is viewed as a somewhat weak class compared to the others. Would this patch do much to address that?

"A Ranger may, during a short or long rest, change his or her favored enemy to a different creature type. A Ranger may only change one creature type per rest. A Ranger may change a humanoid type to a different humanoid type; or change two humanoid types for one non-humanoid type; or change one non-humanoid type for two humanoid types.

A Ranger may also change favored terrain during a short or long rest. A Ranger cannot change favored enemy and favored terrain during the same rest.

A Ranger who changes either favored enemy or favored terrain during a rest does not gain any of the usual benefits of that rest."

This adds needed flexibility to the class through an alteration to an iconic class feature.

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 04:06 PM
The Ranger is viewed as a somewhat weak class compared to the others. Would this patch do much to address that?

"A Ranger may, during a short or long rest, change his or her favored enemy to a different creature type. A Ranger may only change one creature type per rest. A Ranger may change a humanoid type to a different humanoid type; or change two humanoid types for one non-humanoid type; or change one non-humanoid type for two humanoid types.

A Ranger may also change favored terrain during a short or long rest. A Ranger cannot change favored enemy and favored terrain during the same rest.

A Ranger who changes either favored enemy or favored terrain during a rest does not gain any of the usual benefits of that rest."

This adds needed flexibility to the class through an alteration to an iconic class feature.

A) this belongs in the homebrew section.

B) there is nothing wrong with the ranger. You just need to play it right and realize that it's not all about the battle...

asorel
2015-01-29, 04:10 PM
It's an interesting suggestion, but, from what I've heard from people who have played the ranger in game, they don't really need a buff. Also, it's a bit difficult to explain fluff-wise. You sat down for an hour and suddenly learn about the lay of the land? It's a bit difficult to swallow.

Personally, in light of these two issues, I would modify the patch thus:

You can only change your Favored Terrain to one in which you have spent the previous full day, including a long rest. Alternatively, you can change your Favored Terrain to any landscape in which you have spent at least a week.
Each of the last five encounters in which you have fought must have contained at least one creature of the appropriate type for you to choose it as a Favored Enemy. Alternatively, you may choose a creature type that you have fought over 30 encounters, which need not be consecutive. Critical hits against enemies of the requisite type may reduce either of the encounter requirements pre the DM's discretion.

Shining Wrath
2015-01-29, 05:02 PM
It's an interesting suggestion, but, from what I've heard from people who have played the ranger in game, they don't really need a buff. Also, it's a bit difficult to explain fluff-wise. You sat down for an hour and suddenly learn about the lay of the land? It's a bit difficult to swallow.

Personally, in light of these two issues, I would modify the patch thus:

You can only change your Favored Terrain to one in which you have spent the previous full day, including a long rest. Alternatively, you can change your Favored Terrain to any landscape in which you have spent at least a week.
Each of the last five encounters in which you have fought must have contained at least one creature of the appropriate type for you to choose it as a Favored Enemy. Alternatively, you may choose a creature type that you have fought over 30 encounters, which need not be consecutive. Critical hits against enemies of the requisite type may reduce either of the encounter requirements pre the DM's discretion.

I thought about requiring the Ranger to have at least fought / spent time in the creature or the terrain, respectively.

The other option was to require an appropriate Intelligence(Knowledge) check of DC 10 to make the switch; History for adding a humanoid, Nature for most other things, maybe Arcana for Dragons and Aberrations.

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 05:11 PM
The reason none of this would work, is that the Ranger basically has had to live in that wilderness for many years to understand how to hied in it or hunt in it effectively. Being able to change it based on fighting or sleeping doesn't make logistical sense. you would have to settle down and live there for a few years.

My rule... "If you can walk the countryside blindfolded, and not trip on a single stone, you can have it as favored."

Shining Wrath
2015-01-29, 05:17 PM
The reason none of this would work, is that the Ranger basically has had to live in that wilderness for many years to understand how to hied in it or hunt in it effectively. Being able to change it based on fighting or sleeping doesn't make logistical sense. you would have to settle down and live there for a few years.

My rule... "If you can walk the countryside blindfolded, and not trip on a single stone, you can have it as favored."

Then it makes no sense for a Ranger who grew up in the Steaming Swamps north of the Seven Peaks to have any advantage in the Mirey Swamps south of the Sea of Grass. Different swamps, different critters.

And for that matter the True Heirs orc tribe may fight differently than the horse-riding Noisy Hooves.

It's at least a little magical, like HP and XP and a bunch of other stuff that we take for granted.

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 05:23 PM
Then it makes no sense for a Ranger who grew up in the Steaming Swamps north of the Seven Peaks to have any advantage in the Mirey Swamps south of the Sea of Grass. Different swamps, different critters.

And for that matter the True Heirs orc tribe may fight differently than the horse-riding Noisy Hooves.

It's at least a little magical, like HP and XP and a bunch of other stuff that we take for granted.

Granted, that where the generalization comes in. a swamp is a swamp.

My point is, it takes more time the a few weeks to fully understand a new place.