PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Reimagining a PF Alchemist 6

Spore
2015-01-29, 04:22 PM
Greetings playground,

so far I have played an Alchemist towards the Mr. Hyde part of the role. As I have started to roleplay out the "Hulk"/Hyde personality for the Master Chymist the "other one" (being evil) didn't run too well with my group (characters). Normally this would not bother me that much but I feel playing two different entities sharing a body is not my cup of tea.

Also the Alchemist feels a tad bit barbaric with those sudden outlashes of combat prowess and being the only one in the group not having a problem with really killing someone. The group avoids casualties whereever they can while my PC isn't so picky. Being able to bite and claw your way through the enemies certainly doesn't help my cause or issue. I wanted to play a Melee dude and Alchemist and I got stuck with a drug induced ravager.

My DM told me that I have to keep class levels (Alchemist 6) and attributes (18/14/14/16/12/6, 25 pt buy) so I can't and am not willing to switch over to a more planning and thinking style of a ranged bomb lobber. I would however love it if you found a way to get my Nodachi to work with a similar damage potential as the Alchemist does with Feral Mutagen. Multiclassing is okay because my group is low T4/unoptimized T5 anyway.

tl;dr

Tell me how to rebuild my Alchemist 6 with 18/14/14/16/12/6 to feel less barbaric and bruteish, possibly using combat maneuvers and his heirloom weapon, the Nodachi.

Baroncognito
2015-01-29, 05:44 PM
It might be helpful to know your race as well.

Feint's End
2015-01-29, 05:54 PM
It might be helpful to know your race as well.

This. Also what kind of point buy did you use? Merely out of curiosity

NightbringerGGZ
2015-01-29, 07:11 PM
First, make sure to pick up the Blade of Mercy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/blade-of-mercy-goddess-of-dawn) trait. That way you can deal non-lethal damage with your Nodachi at will. It's a quick and easy way to get your character closer aligned with the rest of the party.

As for melee builds, there are two good options if you don't want to focus on Mutagen mechanics.

The first is to go Vivisectionist and pick up those sneak attack dice. Unlike a Rogue, you can use your infusions to ensure you can sneak attack when you need to.

The second would be to go Grenadier. Starting at level 2 you can pull of a standard action melee attack that also explodes a bomb. You can pick up bomb discoveries which allow you to disable rather than kill enemies too.

Spore
2015-01-29, 11:53 PM
This. Also what kind of point buy did you use? Merely out of curiosity

25 Point buy Oni Spawn.

Feint's End
2015-01-30, 08:03 AM
25 Point buy Oni Spawn.

Ah I get it now.

Well I see the main problem here not the class or even the abilities but rather the way you chose to role play your alchemist.

That said have you considered just rethinking the way you act on mutagen? Instead of becoming a combat monster and clawing yourself through enemies you instead become a slightly more unstable and more strong version of yourself. In all personality traits.

Lastly I second the use of blade of mercy. Sounds like a solid idea in the group anyways.

Spore
2015-01-31, 08:17 AM
I thank you all. I will use Vivisectionist with Blade of Mercy. Now to find an actual use for anthropomorphic animal and awaken.

Sayt
2015-01-31, 08:27 AM
I thank you all. I will use Vivisectionist with Blade of Mercy. Now to find an actual use for anthropomorphic animal and awaken.

Whelp, you can take animal soul and awaken loop yourself.

Spore
2015-02-01, 04:59 AM
I shouldn't really cheese my power up further in a group with T4-5s when I'm the only T3. It's bad enough that I have the only means to fly in one level.