PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next weapon master monk archetype. Would very much like criticism.

Rfkannen
2015-01-29, 05:27 PM
Hey there! so i thought that we were missing an archetype for the monk that could use other weapons, especialy bows. So i decided to make a archetype that was able to use weapons. What do you think? I wasnt realy sure on what to do with the ones besides level 3. Any suggestions? HOw is it?

Master of weaponry.
when you reach level 3 you gain proficency in all weapons. For you these are considered monk weapons. When you use your martial arts to spend a bonus action to do an unarmed strick, you may instead do a weapon attack.

Perfection of style.
Starting at level 6 ou gain the benifits of The archery, two weapon fighting, and dueling fighting styles.
In addition, you may swich whatever weapon you are holding with any other weapon withing 5 feet of you that is not being held as a bonus action. You may also do this to any weapon on your body or in your bags.

Blinding flurry
Starting at level 11, you have a third attack, as the fighter feature.

an extension of the body
Starting at level 17 You add your wisdom modifier to all attack damage rolls done with monk weapons. In addition, other peoples weapons bow to you, you have resistance against, peircing, bludinging, and slashing weapons.

Oracle_of_Void
2015-01-30, 01:19 PM
Well, I like the idea but the execution is lacking.

Master of Weaponry is a bit much. Become proficient with ALL weapons? AND they're monk weapons? I'm not sure if that's unbalanced but it seems to be too much. Like, why spend feats on exotic weapons when this is an option.

Perfection of style is also a bit strong. You get all of these benefits for free? I know that many monks would like this so that they can use they're precious few feats on other stuff, but its still a lot. The weapon switching part is right out. Its poorly defined (ANY weapon within 5 feet? Even the enemy's weapons?).

Blind Flurry is weird, I don't quite get it.

Extension of the Body is alright. Wisdom to damage is an alright thing; my only complaint is that you need to give an actual number to the damage resistance you gain. Can't just abstractly say "I have resistance to your slashing attack, haha!", ya know?

But the biggest flaw with this archetype? You don't specify what class features it replaces. As written, you gain all of these alongside all the other monk toys. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but it still should be clear what features you're modifying/replacing.

Rfkannen
2015-01-30, 01:40 PM
Well, I like the idea but the execution is lacking.

Master of Weaponry is a bit much. Become proficient with ALL weapons? AND they're monk weapons? I'm not sure if that's unbalanced but it seems to be too much. Like, why spend feats on exotic weapons when this is an option.

Perfection of style is also a bit strong. You get all of these benefits for free? I know that many monks would like this so that they can use they're precious few feats on other stuff, but its still a lot. The weapon switching part is right out. Its poorly defined (ANY weapon within 5 feet? Even the enemy's weapons?).

Blind Flurry is weird, I don't quite get it.

Extension of the Body is alright. Wisdom to damage is an alright thing; my only complaint is that you need to give an actual number to the damage resistance you gain. Can't just abstractly say "I have resistance to your slashing attack, haha!", ya know?

But the biggest flaw with this archetype? You don't specify what class features it replaces. As written, you gain all of these alongside all the other monk toys. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but it still should be clear what features you're modifying/replacing.

I forgot to mention this was a 5e thing. I think that might change some of your opinions and confusion. I forgot to tag it as such

Oracle_of_Void
2015-01-30, 01:42 PM
Well! The archetype language made me think it was Pathfinder. Since I am ENTIRELY ignorant about 5e, I retract every comment I made. Sorry for the inconvenience, have a good day! :smallsmile:

Leuku
2015-01-30, 07:58 PM
I've built a Path of the Weapons Master (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LQmf0ChghO0io9ipQ5tPrghjQCCFTh6Qpgy_frEPaKE/edit?usp=sharing) monk as well. No bows, though.

Master of weaponry.
when you reach level 3 you gain proficency in all weapons. For you these are considered monk weapons. When you use your martial arts to spend a bonus action to do an unarmed strick, you may instead do a weapon attack.

Proficiency in all weapons, especially Heavy weapons, is too much. A 3rd level Fighter with a Greatsword and great weapon fighting style can deal 8.33 + str mod on his turn. Your Weapon Master (WM) Monk at 3rd level would also be able to use a Greatsword, except martial arts will give him a second attack, which would equal out to (6.5 + Dex mod) x 2. Easily and dramatically exceeds the fighter's damage output every round forever. And let's not forget that every point the fighter spends in Strength to increase his damage is one less point he can put in Dexterity to improve his AC, Initiative, and Dex saving throw. For your WM Monk, there is no such tradeoff.

Perfection of style.
Starting at level 6 ou gain the benifits of The archery, two weapon fighting, and dueling fighting styles.
In addition, you may swich whatever weapon you are holding with any other weapon withing 5 feet of you that is not being held as a bonus action. You may also do this to any weapon on your body or in your bags.

Reading as written, this feature would give the Monk all three of those fighting styles at the same time? That's insanely too much. And why would the Monk need Two-Weapon fighting style? The monk has Martial Arts.

Blinding flurry
Starting at level 11, you have a third attack, as the fighter feature.

The monk doesn't need a third attack. Martial Arts and Flurry of Blows more than make up for fewer Extra Attack features. At level 11, a Great Sword monk would be making 4 greatsword attacks every round, 5 with flurry of blows, compared to the Fighter who only gets 3 greatsword attacks every round at 11th level, and 4 attacks only at 20th level.

an extension of the body
Starting at level 17 You add your wisdom modifier to all attack damage rolls done with monk weapons. In addition, other peoples weapons bow to you, you have resistance against, peircing, bludinging, and slashing weapons.

I at the moment cannot recall anything regarding weapons mastery that would make a weapon master resistant to weapon damage. There are entire martial arts that focus on hardening the body to resist bludgeoning blows, but those martial arts tend to eschew weapons in favor of unarmed fighting.

Also, as written, Extension of Body is stronger than the Ranger's 20th level feature.