PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Unlimited cantrips for casters?

flameboy99
2015-01-29, 06:25 PM
I've recently started looking at D&D 5e (Me and my group have been playing D&D 3.5, and wanted to go for something newer). I'd just like to check if I'm interpreting the rules correctly here. If I'm reading it right, casters can use an unlimited number of cantrips/day?

Alucard2099
2015-01-29, 06:34 PM
I've recently started looking at D&D 5e (Me and my group have been playing D&D 3.5, and wanted to go for something newer). I'd just like to check if I'm interpreting the rules correctly here. If I'm reading it right, casters can use an unlimited number of cantrips/day?

That's right.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-29, 09:23 PM

Yup, one of the oldest House rules that I'm aware of.

But don't worry they aren't overpowered compared to the game.

mythmonster2
2015-01-29, 10:31 PM
Spellcasters are somewhat balanced around that. You use your actual spells when you need them, and otherwise, you can often get by with cantrips.

Ralanr
2015-01-29, 11:14 PM
I know my roommate loves it. He gets to use his favorite spell all the time.

Acid splash!

Slipperychicken
2015-01-30, 01:48 PM
Pathfinder did at-will cantrips too, and it worked more or less fine. The main one which DMs found problematic was detect magic, which was made a 1st level spell in 5th edition.

Also, in 5e, while you can cast cantrips at-will, you can only prepare so many cantrips per day.

hymer
2015-01-30, 01:52 PM
Also, in 5e, while you can cast cantrips at-will, you can only prepare so many cantrips per day.

I'm pretty sure you have all known cantrips available to you at all times, and they don't count against how many prepared spells you have.

Madfellow
2015-01-30, 01:53 PM

No, you only know a limited number of cantrips. They aren't prepared like other spells are.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-30, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure you have all known cantrips available to you at all times, and they don't count against how many prepared spells you have.

No, you only know a limited number of cantrips. They aren't prepared like other spells are.

Yeah y'all are correct.

Also spells like detect magic and other ritual spells are also castible "at-will". But in ritual form they take longer to actually cast. They are out of battle type spells. You can do this as long as they are a spell known.

Vogonjeltz
2015-01-31, 09:57 AM

Perhaps slipperychicken was trying to provide a metaphor that makes it comprehensible for a 3.5 player?

Slipperychicken
2015-01-31, 10:54 AM
Perhaps slipperychicken was trying to provide a metaphor that makes it comprehensible for a 3.5 player?

I was mistaken there, and thought 5e was using PF''s mechanic for cantrips. I attribute the error to 5e, PF, and 3.5 all sharing so many rules that they sometimes blur together in my mind.