PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a certain monster!

TheMutant
2015-01-29, 07:07 PM
So a long time ago, I remember reading in my store (I work in a bookstore) in one of the RPG books we had, about a certain monster that I thought was kind of charming, and later while I worked on my campaign setting thought it would be fun to have an NPC have one as a little companion/ pet. Trouble is, I couldn't remember the name of the monster or what book I'd found it in, and no amount of flipping through the books in my store (which may well not INCLUDE the book I originally found it in originally) has availed me. I don't even know for certain which system it was :F

So the summation of what I remember is that it was a small bird, brightly colored and with some minor magical properties (some kind of mimicry, maybe, or an effect of its song?) Weak, though; not something that would pose a threat in combat.

IF it was from DnD, it would have been 4th edition, not 3rd (pretty sure we didn't have any 3rd edition books till recently, and 5th wasn't out then) Pathfinder is also a possibility (nosing around the online SRD hasn't led to any discoveries though) Not sure what other systems we had books for that would have had monster entries similar to DnD- it definitely had a block of stats and information like those games.

Does that ring a bell to anyone here? It'd be awesome to have this mystery that's been niggling at me for years resolved. :P

nedz
2015-01-29, 07:28 PM
DnD monsters tend to proliferate across editions. Elysian Thrush might be what you are looking for, or there again I may be singing up the wrong tree. These birds hang around in trees and give enhanced healing overnight.

Gavran
2015-01-29, 10:18 PM
Hmm I was just going through 4E's familiars and there was some kind of mimicry bird, let me go look...

Here we are: the "Sitak." A gregarious, brightly colored, parrotlike bird as intelligent as it is attractive. It has an ability called "Telepathic Mimicry". Hope it helps.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-01-30, 06:34 AM
Maybe a Corollax from MM2? A magical beast (parrot-like bird) with a color spray SLA.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm2_gallery/88268_620_21.jpg