PDA

View Full Version : 24-headed Pyrohydra

Bad Wolf
2015-01-29, 10:18 PM
A question I had while planning out a necromancer. It says in the description that "Each time a head is severed, two new heads spring from the stump in 1d4 rounds. A hydra can never have more than twice its original number of heads at any one time, and any extra heads it gains beyond its original number wither and die within a day. "

This implies for example, if a five-headed hydra had all its heads cut off, it'd grow ten permanently. But any extra would die off.

So my question is, would a reanimated 24-headed (from a regular 12 that got them all chopped off) have 24 attacks per round?

Frostthehero
2015-01-29, 11:04 PM
A question I had while planning out a necromancer. It says in the description that "Each time a head is severed, two new heads spring from the stump in 1d4 rounds. A hydra can never have more than twice its original number of heads at any one time, and any extra heads it gains beyond its original number wither and die within a day. "

This implies for example, if a five-headed hydra had all its heads cut off, it'd grow ten permanently. But any extra would die off.

So my question is, would a reanimated 24-headed (from a regular 12 that got them all chopped off) have 24 attacks per round?

No. Read this again. Any extra heads it gains beyond its original number wither and die within a day. The original number of heads is the number it is listed under. For example, the original number of heads for a seven headed hydra is 7. It does not grow 14 permanently. It just grows those for a day. You could cut these heads off every day, but other than that, there is no way to solve your problem. A reanimated hydra doesn't regrow heads, so in short, no, your hydra can never have 24 attacks per round for more than a day.

A day with 24 attacks is pretty scary though. And don't forget that 36d6 fire breath. forgot about that whole being undead thing.

Bad Wolf
2015-01-29, 11:07 PM
No. Read this again. Any extra heads it gains beyond its original number wither and die within a day. The original number of heads is the number it is listed under. For example, the original number of heads for a seven headed hydra is 7. It does not grow 14 permanently. It just grows those for a day. You could cut these heads off every day, but other than that, there is no way to solve your problem. A reanimated hydra doesn't regrow heads, so in short, no, your hydra can never have 24 attacks per round for more than a day.

A day with 24 attacks is pretty scary though. And don't forget that 36d6 fire breath. forgot about that whole being undead thing.

Ah. I see. Thanks for your help.

Here's another question though: Can skeleton hydra regrow their heads/skulls?

Invader
2015-01-29, 11:12 PM
Ah. I see. Thanks for your help.

Here's another question though: Can skeleton hydra regrow their heads/skulls?

No, skeletons lose most qualities of the base creature.

Flickerdart
2015-01-29, 11:51 PM
You could always slather your 24-headed hydra in quintessence and take it "out of storage" in minutes-long bursts. That would make the extra heads last a while.

Invader
2015-01-30, 12:00 AM
You could always slather your 24-headed hydra in quintessence and take it "out of storage" in minutes-long bursts. That would make the extra heads last a while.

Although that raises the question, if you have that much quintessence lying around why are you fudging with something as mundane as a hydra :smallbiggrin:

Bad Wolf
2015-01-30, 12:08 AM
What's quintessence?

Invader
2015-01-30, 12:16 AM
What's quintessence?

Here you go
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm

Flickerdart
2015-01-30, 10:27 AM
Although that raises the question, if you have that much quintessence lying around why are you fudging with something as mundane as a hydra :smallbiggrin:
Kicks and giggles?

What's quintessence?
Time goop produced by psionics. Covering an item in it freezes the item in time.