PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder High Level Character Creation

abh0rs3n
2015-01-29, 10:55 PM
I have an idea in mind for a character in my homebrew world. He uses a one handed sword and casts spells in one hand. Lots of movement and powerful magic. SO when creating a characer sheet i want the spell levels of a mage but the combat effectiveness of a Fighter. Are characters allowed to go to level 30, because a level 30 magus would be basically what i need? Is leveling two classes at a time something that is possible on the same person?

hell have mythic levels of course, and there is gear etc of high level.

Or should i just BS my own homebrewed class for him?

Vhaidara
2015-01-29, 10:58 PM
Well, if you're the GM and therefore able to pull whatever you want, I'd say Gestalt Fighter and Wizard, then give him all the Magus class features.

WARNING: There is a 99% chance that your players will hate him on principle and will find a way to kill him within 5 seconds of meeting him.

Honjuden
2015-01-29, 11:03 PM
The SUE files pop into my head every time I see a post involving high level NPCs in homebrew settings.

abh0rs3n
2015-01-29, 11:11 PM
He is a good aligned character, and not one that my players would ever play with, i was just curious if their would be a way to actually create him on a character sheet without just BSing a bunch of stuff into existence?

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-29, 11:13 PM
Sounds like you're looking for the Lightning Warrior.

It's super well balanced.

Vhaidara
2015-01-29, 11:18 PM
He is a good aligned character, and not one that my players would ever play with, i was just curious if their would be a way to actually create him on a character sheet without just BSing a bunch of stuff into existence?

Well, you basically want a super Magus. Which would mean upgrading it to Wizard casting and giving it the full benefits of a Fighter.

Also, the fact that he is good has changed the odds of your players wanting to kill him. It is now 99.9%.

abh0rs3n
2015-01-29, 11:30 PM
did the research, i get the joke. He has low health, low AC, etc. Just a huge burst of damagy stuff, but i guess ill just go BS something onto paper. thanks for the help those that tried.

Keledrath specifically, Gestalting a fighter mage makes sense, only needs the speel combat from magus for the mechanics to work on paper like the combat does in my mind and in my story.

Curious though, if they're not in a party with him, why do you think they'll want to murder him immediately?

Vhaidara
2015-01-29, 11:40 PM
Curious though, if they're not in a party with him, why do you think they'll want to murder him immediately?

Because honestly, he's a Marty Stuff. It's natural instinct to hate them. They show up and are simply BETTER than you.

jaydubs
2015-01-29, 11:45 PM

While we could all be jumping to the wrong conclusion, your posts suggest you're trying to build some kind of Mary Sue or super DMPC, even if he won't travel with the party. In general, players absolutely hate these types of characters, even if they only occasionally encounter them rather than being forced to travel with them. They have a tendency to be walking beacons of "I'm more awesome than the PCs."

But, we could be wrong. What role is this character supposed to play in the campaign setting? In what ways will he interact with the PCs? How does he make for a better campaign?

abh0rs3n
2015-01-29, 11:47 PM
In the campaign theyre about to go on, theyll eventually find him imprisoned within a pocket plane, stuck fighting.. basically his counterpoint. They'll have a choice to set them both free or leave them to fight forever.

Think it'll help if they don't see the sheet?

abh0rs3n
2015-01-29, 11:57 PM
@ Jaydubs

If they set him free, i describe a small scene of a fight that breaks out. After that, he speaks with them and exits to begin chasing down the other one that was released. After that he just runs an organization he helped to create a long time ago. Long enough that the "tomb" has started to become part of legend, and an annual hunt is sent out to see if anyone can find it in order to help bring the "Light Bringer" back to the world.

Very high fantasy kind of environment, magic is everywhere, used by everyday people in fact.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-30, 12:13 AM
@ Jaydubs

If they set him free, i describe a small scene of a fight that breaks out. After that, he speaks with them and exits to begin chasing down the other one that was released. After that he just runs an organization he helped to create a long time ago. Long enough that the "tomb" has started to become part of legend, and an annual hunt is sent out to see if anyone can find it in order to help bring the "Light Bringer" back to the world.

Very high fantasy kind of environment, magic is everywhere, used by everyday people in fact.

Yeah.

That sounds pretty Mary Sue-ish. Not deep-Sue stuff, mind you, but Mary Sue-ish nonetheless.

Yahzi
2015-01-30, 05:51 AM
PCs are very sensitive to the scent of DMPCs. The minute they find your pocket-plane, they will devote the rest of the session to trying to kill both incarnations of the DMPC.

abh0rs3n
2015-02-04, 01:15 AM
SENTINEL
LEVEL BAB Fort Ref Will Specials Spells / day (lvl 1-9)
1 +1 +0 +2 +2 Spell Combat 2 / / / / / / / /
2 +2 +0 +3 +3 Light Armor Casting 3 / / / / / / / /
3 +3 +1 +3 +3 4 / / / / / / / /
4 +4 +1 +4 +4 Bonus Feat, Meta-magic Feat 5 2 / / / / / / /
5 +5 +1 +4 +4 5 3 / / / / / / /
6 +5/+1 +2 +5 +5 Fighter Training 5 4 2 / / / / / /
7 +5/+2 +2 +5 +5 5 5 3 / / / / / /
8 +5/+3 +2 +6 +6 Improved Spell Combat 5 5 4 2 / / / / /
Bonus Feat
9 +5/+4 +3 +6 +6 5 5 5 3 / / / / /
10 +5/+5 +3 +7 +7 Spell Critical, Meta-magic Feat 5 5 5 4 2 / / / /
11 +6/+6/+1 +3 +7 +7 5 5 5 5 3 / / / /
12 +7/+7/+2 +4 +8 +8 Bonus Feat 5 5 5 5 4 2 / / /
13 +8/+8/+3 +4 +8 +8 5 5 5 5 5 3 / / /
14 +9/+9/+4 +4 +9 +9 Greater Spell Combat 5 5 5 5 5 4 2 / /
15 +10/+10/+5 +5 +9 +9 5 5 5 5 5 5 3 / /
16 +11/+11/+6 +5 +10 +10 Counterstrike, Bonus Feat 5 5 5 5 5 5 4 2 /
Meta-magic Feat
17 +12/+12/+7 +5 +10 +10 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 3 /
18 +13/+13/+8 +6 +11 +11 Arcane Apotheosis 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 4 2
19 +14/+14/+9 +6 +11 +11 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 3
20 +15/+15/+10 +6 +12 +12 Perfect Spell Combat 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 4

Class Skills (3 + int mod . level) : Intimidate(cha), Fly(Dex), Knowledge (planes, arcana)(int), Perception(wis), Craft(int), Profession(wis), Sleight of Hand(dex), Acrobatics(dex), Spellcraft(int), Use Magic Device(Cha)

based on Magus.
Sorcerer spell abilities, limited spell selection to mostly buffs/debuffs/utility, very few raw damage selections.
I know the BAB is strong but it is weaker than fighter, though stronger than magus. I know the class is strong, but not as crazy as a gestalt.
They get spell progression as high but not as many casts as sorcerer and no bloodline, plus they can not wear anything above light armor ever, unlike magus which can wear heavy armor during combat. I think that helps balance them out.

Thoughts on what is too strong, or too weak or in general. Feedback in general is nice.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-04, 01:30 AM
It looks both unbalanced and doesn't fit within the design of other pathfinder classes (3+int skills, 9th level arcane spells+medium bab wtf?).

On top of that, what you claim to want for the character in the first post is easily achievable without wacky homebrew.

Also, direct damage spells are essentially the worst use of a spellcaster's slots so saying you balanced the class by dropping them in favor of buffs, debuffs and utility is like saying your motorcycle is balanced in a race against a golf cart cause it only has two wheels.

The difference between being able to cast in light armor as opposed to heavy is close to completely unimportant when you can cast 9th level spells.

You're the DM , however. If you want to thing into your game no one can stop you. Just ask yourself this, is this class available for your players to take levels in ?

Kraken
2015-02-04, 01:36 AM
If you want to stick to published material, here's a plausible level 30 build that's entirely legal, though you'd need to use tiefling and the trickery domain, or similar SLA shenanigans to qualify for mystic theurge early. It gets you 11th level cleric casting and 27th level wizard casting. Or you could use hellknight signifier to advance cleric instead, in which case you'd 20th level wizard casting and 18th level cleric casting. The martial class can be fighter, gunslinger, or whatever you want, as long as it helps you meet the entry requirements for eldritch knight.

Cleric1/Wizard1/Martial Class1/Mystic Theurge10/Eldritch Knight10/Hellknight Signifier7

abh0rs3n
2015-02-04, 01:37 AM
yea, id be adding it to the class roster for everyone / anyone. thats why i need some help with input. That is the general idea of what im trying to do. let me take another look at it again tomorrow after class, ill post an updated version then. yea... not totally sure what i was thinking as a reason for that BAB progression lol. >.<

also, that is really cool Kraken. Ill look into that and roll him up that way, see how it plays out.