PDA

View Full Version : E6 [E6] Help building a warblade

mvpmack
2015-01-30, 04:50 AM
I'd like some help with a build. My E6 party will be adding on a new (NPC) team member soon, a half-elf warblade-in-training. Our team is a 6-man band and he showed a lot of promise so we're taking him on as a full member.

The system is E6-gestalt approach, and the team is either level 6 with a number of bonus feats, level 5, and the new guy who is retraining his two NPC warrior levels into warblade levels. We wouldn't be keeping him at all but we could use the extra frontline power and the party all likes his character. The team he'd be joining is a 6th level TWF fighter (with some rogue gestalt feats), a 6th level cleric with all of paladin gestalt (and a warrior-type mentality), a 6th level bard with a small amount of wizard gestalt, and a 5th level sorcerer.

His level 1 feat is Blind-Fight, and his stats are insane -- all physical stats 16+ (STR 18) and a bonus in everything else with only CHA below 10. The DM rolled for his stats and he ended up being a sort of breakout character. He currently has a masterwork greatsword and otherwise mundane-ish gear (he wears light armor due to his huge dex).

Once he's under the party influence we have a lot of leeway for how to influence him to build, and I'm not sure how to go about making him useful. Warblade's just a good chassis, and it's hard to go wrong, but I want him to have a niche he can fit in and excel. What should he be going for? How can this low level (2-3) warblade help the team until he gets up to speed, and move into his own groove later? What kind of weapons should he use? Should we focus on getting him to retrain Blind-Fight (even though I think the DM is a bit resistant to that)?

Note that he'll be using an amulet of tears to help offset the fact that his HP is a bit low until he gets some levels.

All official 3.x material OK, Dragon mag not OK. If there's some third-party or PF feat that might help, the DM might allow it if it's not too out of line with feats that are in official material. Thanks in advance!

ghanjrho
2015-01-30, 05:35 AM
Max concentration. Grab some Diamond Mind, especially the save replacers. Wall of Blades is going to be a good counter for him right now, and ages very well. He'll also want to focus on Iron Heart and White Raven, the latter especially because there are other melees in the party.

Honestly, Warblade is a GREAT class for E6, largely because you don't especially need your full attack. At low level, any White Raven maneuvers that buff the group will be his best bet. Blind-Fight isn't a bad feat, but I'd maybe switch it for Power Attack. Potentially replace his greatsword with a glaive or halberd, to give him a little extra distance between him and the enemy.

Waddacku
2015-01-30, 05:58 AM
Longer term, the most interesting question is what he should do with his two non-Warblade levels. An extra known maneuver and Improved Uncanny Dodge are nice and all, but he can do so much better. Delaying the 4th level also helps fixing Stance progression. Then at ECL 6 he switches out an old maneuver for a third level one. Any further ones he'd have to spend feats on, though.

Darrin
2015-01-30, 08:22 AM
Longer term, the most interesting question is what he should do with his two non-Warblade levels.

Barbarian 2 if Spirit Lion Totem and Wolf Totem are both available. Otherwise, SLT Barbarian 1/Crusader 1 is probably the best two-level full BAB dip for E6 warblades. Battle Dancer 1 (Dragon Compendium) could also be nice, if you didn't dump Charisma or don't want to spend a feat on Improved Unarmed Strike.

Battle Dancer 1/SLT Barbarian 1/Warblade 4 with Improved Unarmed Strike, TWF, Superior Unarmed Strike, Snap Kick, and the Whirling Frenzy ACF can get 5 attacks at ECL 6 (not counting natural weapons). Darfellen can get 6 attacks (bite), and a Kobold can get 8 (claw/claw/bite).

mvpmack
2015-01-30, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

One other thing that I should mention is that it's fairly important that he not overshadow the fighter. The fighter's player is very sensitive about his little niche in the world (throwing many attacks that chew through lots of HP via sneak attack), so while going SLT + TWF + snap kick + whirling frenzy would be fine for a player, the character is an NPC and our fighter already has a seriously bad case of class envy with anyone that moves forward and cuts people with something sharp.

I like the idea for using White Raven maneuvers but I'm not finding a ton of great options, particularly at lower levels. I like Leading the Charge especially for boosting our cleric/paladin's preferred attack method. Because we have a bard, a lot of the White Raven morale bonus to attacks or saves is not as appealing due to redundancy.

Also, he is a 2nd level character (with a lot of temporary hit points) coming in to help fight CR6-8 challenges, so having him be super offense focused isn't ideal for him. Ideally we want a way for him to be useful and contribute in a world where ACs are a bit higher than he'd normally have to face and things hit kind of hard. Again, I'd like to see something where he can help out now and grow into a good transition for later.

Darrin
2015-01-30, 10:29 AM
Ideally we want a way for him to be useful and contribute in a world where ACs are a bit higher than he'd normally have to face and things hit kind of hard. Again, I'd like to see something where he can help out now and grow into a good transition for later.

Hmm. Then I'd probably suggest Warblade 2/Crusader 1/Ranger 1 with the Trap Expert ACF (Dungeonscape). This adds trapfinding to the party, and he can also use ranger wands to help buff the fighter (instant of power, animalistic power, impeding stones for forcing flat-footed, SNA for flanking buddy, backup CLW healbot). I also like the Spiritual Connection ACF (Complete Champion) instead of wild empathy (it's more likely to get useful information).

Otherwise, I'd try Crusader 1/Sneak Attack Fighter 1, make him a flanking buddy for the Fighter. That might step on the Fighter's toes a bit, but so long as you have less sneak attack dice than he does, he should hopefully appreciate the help.

Optimator
2015-01-30, 12:59 PM
Heheh, Initiators are at their very best (in comparison to other classes) at level 5. E6 is quite kind to them :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-01-30, 08:21 PM
Some kind of melee crowd controller would be a good fit, I think. Warblade 1/ Fighter 2/ Warblade 3 still gets 3rd level maneuvers, and even qualifies for Weapon Specialization. Pick up EWP: Spiked Chain, Combat Reflexes, and Improved Trip, and with gestalt grab Dragonfire Adept with Entangling Exhalation.