PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magic items for a Melee/tank, need suggestions plz

Deca4531
2015-01-30, 06:38 AM
I'm pretty new to Pathfinder and I just got into a game starting at level 6. Since the party was mostly ranged and spell casters I decided to roll a barbarian tank. In 3.5 I could have equipped him in 5 minutes, but I'm not familiar with magic items in Pathfinder, and I don't own the books or have them in PDF. I've tried looking up guides for barbarians, but none of them seem to have suggestions on equipment, so could the great and knowledgeable nerds please help me to gear out my meat shield. Also, I have about twenty thousand gold to spend and I get a ten percent discount on whatever I buy. (GM hook up lol.)

as a side note I think my GM is kind of new to the game because he is keeping us to the core books, and he's still sketchy on all of the rules so custom magic items aren't going to be an option

Feint's End
2015-01-30, 08:40 AM
I'm pretty new to Pathfinder and I just got into a game starting at level 6. Since the party was mostly ranged and spell casters I decided to roll a barbarian tank. In 3.5 I could have equipped him in 5 minutes, but I'm not familiar with magic items in Pathfinder, and I don't own the books or have them in PDF. I've tried looking up guides for barbarians, but none of them seem to have suggestions on equipment, so could the great and knowledgeable nerds please help me to gear out my meat shield. Also, I have about twenty thousand gold to spend and I get a ten percent discount on whatever I buy. (GM hook up lol.)

as a side note I think my GM is kind of new to the game because he is keeping us to the core books, and he's still sketchy on all of the rules so custom magic items aren't going to be an option

Core Pathfinder items are pretty much exactly the same as they are in 3.5 with a few changes. Even the gold value stayed the same. So you can pretty much buy all the basic equipment without worrying too much.

A noticable change is that all mental stat boosts are now circlets (all take up head slot) and all physical stat boosts are now belts (all take up waist slot) so you can only have one of each.

So maybe belt of strength +2, cloak of resistance 1, ring of protection +1, weapon +1, some sort of armor +1

Spore
2015-02-01, 05:14 AM
So maybe belt of strength +2, cloak of resistance 1, ring of protection +1, weapon +1, some sort of armor +1

While the optimum for the given amount of gold I would advise against using every slot because it makes upgrades that much more expensive.

1) Magic Weapon +1: 2700ish
2) Strength Belt +2: 3600
3) Cloak of Resistance +3: 8100 (Trust me on this one)
4) Mithral Breastplate +1: 4680

Costs you around 19.000 Gold. Keep the rest for adventuring gear and expenses.

Reasoning:
1) You WILL meet enemies that you can only hurt with magical weapons.
2) Bonus to damage, to hit, to carrying capacity. You're the tank but any enemy that is dropped quicker means less pain for you. So no Con-bonus...yet.
3) You will charge in the first. So most supernatural abilities WILL hit you. +3 is a good chunk to your saves.
4) Mithral makes the penalties of this armor almost non existant. It gives you +7 to the armor bonus, having AC 17 is a bit on the low end for lv 6 but you're not heavily investing into ac anyway. It's the defense against mooks and minions.