PDA

View Full Version : [Class] The Aegis

Neko
2007-04-04, 02:15 PM
Here is a class that I created using a class creator I found. If the creator was accurate than the Aegis should be fairly balanced with the normal base classes.

AEGIS

Many say the best defense is a good offense, the aegis epitomizes this view to the fullest. The closest comparison to what the aegis is would be a wall that hits back. Sometimes known as Divine Shields or Barriers, the aegis is a capable combatant that defends as often as they strike. Adding to this the fact that the aegis in time gains divine spells which support their fighting, the aegis is a force to be reckoned with.

Adventures: For most aegis, an adventure is viewed as a way of life. Though many are found in stationary positions as guards and defenders of Kings and royalty, something in the aegis drives them to seek out combat and adventure, be it a divine calling or simply the thrill of it all. Often the aegis will be found on the front line of a battle defending their comrades while instilling fear in their enemies.

Characteristics: The aegis is a blend of combat expertise, defensive styles and divine magic. True to all aegis is the ability to both defend and fight at the same time with excellent results while later gaining the ability to augment their fighting as well as heal comrades due to divine power laid upon them. As an aegis grows in power, both their ability to defend themselves and others and to fight grows.

Alignment: Aegis may be alignment. Good aegis are often the crusading type who seek out and destroy evil. Evil aegis often are power hungry and seek to conquer.

Religion: The aegis need not devote themselves to a particular deity to gain divine power as a cause itself may be enough. Those that due worship a god tend to worship variety of them, each choosing according to their personal views. Those that due worship a god are often highly observant of religious duties and ceremonies, and are welcome in most any associated temple.

Background: Aegis come to be by a variety of ways. Most are formerly trained in some sort of academy or order of knights while others are self taught. One thing that they all share is a call to become one. Becoming an aegis takes hard work and most start early on though it is not unheard to have someone take it up later in life.

Races: Dwarves most often become aegis due to the high level of them that display the talents and drive to become them. Humans and half-elves with their versatility and ambition may often feel the call to become one as well. Elves rarely feel the call to become an Aegis. Among the savage species, evil aegis can often be found. Orc aegis are among some of the most deadly fighters that one can encounter.

Other Classes: Aegis are more than willing to team up with other classes when out adventuring due to seeing how others skills and capabilities compliment and work with their own. They get along well with clerics and view paladins as comrades in arms.

Role: The aegis’ role in most groups is primarily combat, though support roles such as healing can be taken up when needed.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Aegis have the following game statistics.

Abilities: Strength is important for the role the aegis plays in combat. Constitution is highly needed for the affect it has on hit dice as well as the higher one is, the longer an aegis’ defensive stance can last. A Wisdom of 14 or higher is required to get access to the most powerful aegis spells, and a score of 11 or higher is required to cast any spells at all.

Alignment: Any, though lawful alignments are more common.

Hit Dice: d12

Class Skills
The aegis’ class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Feature
All of the following are class features of the aegis.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Aegis are proficient with the dagger, light mace, heavy mace, morningstar, light hammer and warhammer, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with all shields (including tower shields).

Defensive Stance: When they need to, an aegis can become a stalwart bastion of defense. In this defensive stance, an aegis gains phenomenal strength and durability, but cannot move from the spot that they are defending. They gain +2 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, a +2 resistance bonus to Ref saves, and a +4 dodge bonus to AC.

The increase in Constitution increases the aegis’ hit points by 2 per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the defensive stance when the constitution score drops back 4 points. These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are. While in the defensive stance, a defender cannot use skills or abilities that would require him to shift position, such as Move Silently or Jump. A defensive stance lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier.

An aegis may end their defensive stance voluntarily prior to this limit. At the end of the defensive stance, the Aegis is winded and takes a -2 penalty to Strength for the duration of the encounter. An aegis may use their defensive stance a certain number of times per day as determined by their level (see the Aegis Table). Using the defensive stance takes no time itself, but an aegis can only do so during their action.

Improved Shield Bash: The aegis gains Improved Shield Bash as a bonus feat.

Uncanny Dodge: At 2nd level, an aegis gains the ability to react to danger before their senses would normally allow them to do so. They retain their Dexterity to bonus AC (if any) even if they are caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, they still lose their Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If an aegis already has uncanny dodge from a different class, they automatically gain improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Defensive Combat: At 2nd level an aegis begins to gain defensive combat styles. They are treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if they do not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. These bonuses only apply when the offhand weapon held by the aegis is a shield.

Spells: Beginning at 4th level, an aegis gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells (the same type available to the cleric, druid, paladin and ranger), which are drawn from the aegis spell list. An aegis need not choose or prepare their spells in advance the way a wizard or cleric must. They can cast any spell they know at any time, assuming they have not yet used up their spells per day for that level.

To prepare or cast a spell, an aegis must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10+ the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an aegis’ spell is 10 + the spell level + the aegis’ Wisdom modifier.

Like other spell casters, an aegis can only cast a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. The base daily spell allotment is given on the Aegis Table. In addition, they receive bonus spells per day if they have a high Wisdom score. Where the Aegis Table indicates that the aegis gets 0 level spells per day of a given spell level, the bonus spells they would be entitled based on their Wisdom score for that spell level. The aegis does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers like a cleric does.

Though 3rd level, an aegis has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, her caster level is one-half their aegis level.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: At 5th level and higher an aegis can no longer be flanked; they react to opponents on opposite sides of them as easily as they can react to a single attacker. This defense denies the rogue the ability to sneak attack the aegis by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has aegis levels.

If the character already has uncanny dodge, (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Improved Combat Style: At 6th level, an aegis is treated as having the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat even if they do not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

As before this only applies if the aegis carries a shield in their offhand.

Damage Reduction: At 7th level, an aegis gains the ability to shrug off some amount of injury from each blow or attack. Subtract 1 from the damage the aegis takes each time they are dealt damage from a weapon or natural attack. At 10th level, and every three aegis levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th level), this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Defensive Combat Mastery: At 11th level, an aegis is treated as having the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat even if they do not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

As before this only applies if the aegis carries a shield in their offhand.

Greater Defensive Stance: At 11th level, an aegis’ bonuses to AC and Constitution during defensive stance each increase to 6 and their moral bonus on Ref saves increase to +3. The +4 to Str remains the same.

Mobile Defense: At 15th level, the aegis can adjust his position while maintaining a defensive stance. While in a defensive stance, they can take one 5-foot step each round without losing the benefit of the stance.

Tireless Defensive Stance: At 17th level and higher, an aegis no longer becomes fatigued at the end of their defensive stance.

Mighty Defensive Stance: at 20th level, an aegis’ bonuses to AC and Constitution while in a defensive stance increase to +8, and their moral bonus on Ref saves increase to +4. The +4 to Str remains the same.

AEGIS SPELLS
1ST-LEVEL AEGIS SPELLS

Bless: Allies gain +1 on attack rolls and +1 on saves against fear.
Bless Weapon: Weapon strikes true against foes of opposite alignment.
Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (mad +5).
Divine Favor: You gain +1 per three levels on attack and damage rolls.
Endure Elements: Exist comfortably in hot or cold environments.
Entropic Shield: Ranged attacks against you have 20% miss chance.
Protection from Chaos/Evil/Law/Good: +2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
Shield of Faith: Aura grants +2 or higher deflection bonus

2ND-LEVEL AEGIS SPELLS

Bear’s Endurance: Subject gains +4 to Con for 1 min/level.
Bull’s Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min/level.
Delay Poison: Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/level.
Owl’s Wisdom: Subject gains +4 Wis for 1 min/level
Remove Paralysis: Frees one or more creatures from paralysis or slow effect.
Resist Energy: Ignores 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.
Shield Other: You take half of subject’s damage.
Wind Wall: Deflects arrows, smaller creatures, and gases.

3RD-LEVEL AEGIS SPELLS

Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
Dispel Magic: Cancels spells and magical abilities.
Magic Circle against Chaos/Evil/Good/Law: As protection from chaos/evil/good/law but 10-ft radius and 10 min/level.
Prayer: Allies +1 bonus to most rolls, enemies -1.
Protection from Energy: Absorbs 12 points/level of damage from one kind of energy.

4TH-LEVEL AEGIS SPELLS

Break Enchantment: Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification.
Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
Death Ward: Grants immunity to death spells and negative energy effects.
Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.

On all spells that have the ability to affect Good or Evil, caster can only cast for opposite alignment. Neutral characters must choose.

Aegis Table

Aegis
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Defensive stance 1/day, improved shield bash|-|-|-|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Uncanny dodge, defensive combat|-|-|-|-

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1||-|-|-|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Defensive stance 2/day|0|-|-|-

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improved uncanny dodge|0|-|-|-

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Improved defensive combat|1|-|-|-

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Damage reduction 1/-|1|-|-|-

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Defensive stance 3/day|1|0|-|-

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3||1|0|-|-

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Damage reduction 2/-|1|1|-|-

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3|Defensive combat mastery, greater defensive stance|1|1|0|-

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Defenisve stance 4/day|1|1|1|-

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4|Damage reduction 3/-|1|1|1|-

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4||2|1|1|0

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Mobile defense|2|1|1|1

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5|Defensive stance 5/day, damage reduction 4/-|2|2|1|1

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5|Tireless stance|2|2|2|1

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6||3|2|2|1

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6|Damage reduction 5/-|3|3|3|2

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Defensive stance 6/day, mighty defensive stance|3|3|3|3[/table]

Neko
2007-04-04, 03:05 PM
Comments and ways to improve it would be much appreciated as well. I want it to be a usable class that isnt to powerful or anything. I've gotten mixed opinions on it so far when I showed it to people I know so I wanted a large number of people to see it and tell me what they thought.

Kyace
2007-04-04, 11:00 PM
Its odd that it has full BAB and not proficient with even simple weapons. Also, can you use rage and defensive stance at the same time?

Quellian-dyrae
2007-04-04, 11:36 PM
I've always found defensive builds to be hard to get much use out of, and the defensive stance ability makes it even harder, but you know, I have like ten different complaints about defense in D&D, so that one hardly matters. As far as the class itself goes, I think it looks well-designed for what it's built for. It has good melee protections, credible fighting skill, and a penchant for staying in one place that dovetails nicely with its free two weapon fighting feats. I wouldn't want to play one in the open plains, but in a dungeon? Stick one of these guys in a doorway that the villains are trying to pour through, and it'll amass a nice pile of dead bodies and a notable dearth of wounds.

As far as balance goes...it measures up in abilities par to a barbarian, but has spells in addition. Myself, I find "warrior casting" to be pretty weak (although the Spell Compendium has some fairly nice ranger and paladin spells), and since defensive stance is much more limiting on your actions than rage, I'd think it should be a fair balance. I tend to overpower things, though, so the spells may be a bit much. Not sure.

Starsinger
2007-04-05, 02:58 AM
I'd add Shield Other to their list of spells, or possibly make it a class feature, but I like it.

Neko
2007-04-05, 08:15 AM
Its odd that it has full BAB and not proficient with even simple weapons. Also, can you use rage and defensive stance at the same time?

Well the Aegis doesnt have rage. His defensive stance functions like it.. I mean I suppose if you made a gestalt Aegis/Barbarian you could do both... course the requirement to stay still for Defensive stance would kind of mess with the rage. They have full BAB because they are a fighter type but have a limited weapon selection because they deal only with one handed bludgening weapons.... and daggers... cause honestly... if you can't use a dagger... you shouldn't be in a dungeon.... or anywhere for that matter.

As far as the class itself goes, I think it looks well-designed for what it's built for. It has good melee protections, credible fighting skill, and a penchant for staying in one place that dovetails nicely with its free two weapon fighting feats. I wouldn't want to play one in the open plains, but in a dungeon? Stick one of these guys in a doorway that the villains are trying to pour through, and it'll amass a nice pile of dead bodies and a notable dearth of wounds.

Yeah the Aegis isn't meant for wide fields. I mean while in stance they can turn around they just can't move till later on. They are meant for things like, elite guards and frontline in a dungeon. Just like you said.. they can hold off a sizable amount of enemies while the rest say try and get the secret door unlocked.

I'd add Shield Other to their list of spells, or possibly make it a class feature, but I like it.

Shield Other is in the list. Its a 2nd level one.

But thanks for giving me your opinion on it you guys... I really like getting feedback so I can know how I did on something.

Starsinger
2007-04-05, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry, I must have missed it, I like the class. Maybe you could add some sort of taunt ability, making the opponent pass a will save or attack the Aegis for a few rounds?

Matthew
2007-04-06, 07:10 PM
There is at least one error. The BAB progression goes wrong at Level 20.

Neko
2007-04-09, 09:16 AM
There is at least one error. The BAB progression goes wrong at Level 20.

that it does... but than.. typing that all up... I'm surprised thats the only one.. but yeah should be a +5 at the end.

*goes to fix*

Neko
2007-04-09, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry, I must have missed it, I like the class. Maybe you could add some sort of taunt ability, making the opponent pass a will save or attack the Aegis for a few rounds?

thats an interesting idea... Kinda like how the Knight in Player's guide two has something similar if I remember... not sure how to have it work or where to put it thought.. but I do like it.

Starsinger
2007-04-09, 10:52 PM
Yeah, exactly like the Knight in the player's handbook too. Otherwise the Aegis is a 5 foot wall that people could walk/shoot around.

Neko
2007-04-10, 08:50 AM
Yeah, exactly like the Knight in the player's handbook too. Otherwise the Aegis is a 5 foot wall that people could walk/shoot around.

yup thats why a line of them shoulder to shoulder guarding an castle wall/gate is good though

Legoman
2007-04-10, 10:44 AM
yup thats why a line of them shoulder to shoulder guarding an castle wall/gate is good though

'Till the opposing Wizard casts fly...

Neko
2007-04-10, 11:16 AM
'Till the opposing Wizard casts fly...

Aegis are for infantry... the wizards get taken down by archers and other magic users