PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder High level societies

Milo v3
2015-01-30, 07:29 AM
I'm currently writing up a setting where the level of the average person is 15. Just from the immense prevalence of magic items alone it seems like it'd end up as a very alien society. Any idea what a society would be like if everyone had 15 class levels?

Perturbulent
2015-01-30, 07:38 AM
I get the feeling the world, amongst other things might stop being much of a world. Too many high risk things around. Too few ways to stop everything. At most effective, I imagine most people would try their damndest to be elsewhere. The castery folks would probably go off-world or off-plane. Brutish types would isolate themselves with magic stuff if possible, and when not, form close-knit coalitions of like-minded folks. Very few people would have to worry about normal things like food, water, or pain. It's possible anyone killed would quickly be resurrected. Overpopulation would be huge if folks didn't leave constantly. As a result, I feel like populations might be normal at any given time, but incredibly fluid. IF folks managed to stay in one place for long, I imagine a big sort of gentleperson's agreement might happen in which folks more or less agree not to mess with each other besides speaking to each other. Killing, and use of powers, spells, and what have you, might be a big faux pas.

atemu1234
2015-01-30, 07:50 AM
I'd say that this would be an interesting society; I suppose the question would be how did they get to this level? What did they do to get so powerful, and how did everyone do it? This doesn't necessarily mean that they leveled up the "traditional" way. But to get to level fifteen you need incredible amounts of training in a way boot camp doesn't allow. Level fifteen means that you are beyond normal in such a way that you leave them behind in the dust. They could, of course, have made pacts with demons or slayed demigods, creating a magical atmosphere that's altered children for centuries (also a good setup for Pact magic).

Another thing would be how societies are divided. Once you reach high level, race becomes largely irrelevant. Racial prejudices would probably disappear, because everyone can smash face. Of course, races with large wizard populations would become the most powerful and advanced, the forefront, but others would fall behind. Tier would divide society, not class or race. Basically, if you're a level twenty melee character a level fifteen wizard would still beat you up.

Amphetryon
2015-01-30, 07:57 AM
Have you read anything of Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia? The society he describes within his Hall of Worlds, and at Honest John's, might be useful here.

Milo v3
2015-01-30, 08:14 AM
SNIP
There isn't really anywhere they could go, the only planes aside from material are ethereal and shadow.

I'd say that this would be an interesting society; I suppose the question would be how did they get to this level? What did they do to get so powerful, and how did everyone do it?
Long story short, the spirit-based laws of physics in the setting has been ordered to let specific races Win, and it's been doing so for over two thousand years. These people are now born at 12th level, and by adulthood most are 15th level.

Have you read anything of Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia? The society he describes within his Hall of Worlds, and at Honest John's, might be useful here.
I've only read about half of the first book so far.

Spore
2015-02-01, 05:08 AM
Not quite up to par but I feel you can see Sigil as such a society. The average is about CR 7-9 though because of teleporting and plane shifting outsiders.

Milo v3
2015-02-01, 05:12 AM
Not quite up to par but I feel you can see Sigil as such a society. The average is about CR 7-9 though because of teleporting and plane shifting outsiders.

I do actually want to look up sigil stuff since planar societies sound like a better starting point than mortal societies.

avr
2015-02-01, 05:40 AM
It depends a bit on 15th level what? A bunch of Commoner 15s or Fighter 15s has a different effect on the setting than the same number of Wizard 15s.

Still, a few possible effects.

No one is in any doubt as to the nature of the afterlife. If it's D&Dish bad guys know what's waiting for them and plan accordingly. Possibly including redemption.

If people are commonly spellcasters or can retrain as such societies will be ... distributed. There's little reason for cities as people can meet where they like, shop where they like etc. with more mobility even than today's 0.01%.

Birth rates will be down due to annoyed babies occasionally nuking the area around them making birth & childrearing an unpleasant and hazardous occupation. Self control will be a highly rated and much praised virtue.

Experts are really expert. Someone who has studied a subject is always right about it - not just in their opinion but in reality. Anyone who wants is a diplomancer against anyone who isn't. Catching thieves is all but impossible, and being post-scarcity means that few will try.

Extreme sports seem likely.

Arbane
2015-02-01, 08:11 AM

I was thinking Brust's Draegera, but even it's not quite this high-powered on average.

Xerlith
2015-02-01, 09:04 AM
I think you may want to flick through Dragons of Eberron. There's a city described in there, full of nigh-epic characters. I mean, each and every single one of them. Also, dragons.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-02-01, 09:38 AM

I was going to suggest the same thing, but since the OP is only at book 1 he's got a long way to go. Here's some info, but if you like the series massive spoiler warning applies (http://midkemia.wikia.com/wiki/Hall_of_Worlds).

The problem with this kind of society is that you would have to be a high-level character to join it. This is fine if you want to use Mythic or Epic levels, but not as useful if you plan to start your players at first level.

I'd say you should picture a universe that's like a medieval or steampunk version of the Federation from Star Trek. Everybody can get their basic needs filled for free, letting them spend their time on other things (that lead to class levels). Everybody attends free schooling, where they are encouraged to pursue the things they most enjoy. So you pump out tons of wizards, and bards and fighters and things. As they grow older they get bored, so they're sent out to explore.

Milo v3
2015-02-01, 11:58 PM
It depends a bit on 15th level what? A bunch of Commoner 15s or Fighter 15s has a different effect on the setting than the same number of Wizard 15s.
They're effectively all tier 2 casters, except for daevic (an Akashic Mysteries class) and . There are no NPC classes, because I wanted the societies citizens to effectively be demi-gods.

No one is in any doubt as to the nature of the afterlife. If it's D&Dish bad guys know what's waiting for them and plan accordingly. Possibly including redemption.
Hmm... Not sure how I forgot to think about how they'd know details about the afterlife, when I already did some thinking 'bout resurrection :smallredface:

Birth rates will be down due to annoyed babies occasionally nuking the area around them making birth & childrearing an unpleasant and hazardous occupation.
That is a hilarious and terrifying idea.

I think you may want to flick through Dragons of Eberron. There's a city described in there, full of nigh-epic characters. I mean, each and every single one of them. Also, dragons.
Will do.

The problem with this kind of society is that you would have to be a high-level character to join it. This is fine if you want to use Mythic or Epic levels, but not as useful if you plan to start your players at first level.
All the players will be part of the society and starting at 15th level, if someone wants to start at first level then they wont be playing in this age of the campaign setting.

I'd say you should picture a universe that's like a medieval or steampunk version of the Federation from Star Trek. Everybody can get their basic needs filled for free, letting them spend their time on other things (that lead to class levels). Everybody attends free schooling, where they are encouraged to pursue the things they most enjoy. So you pump out tons of wizards, and bards and fighters and things. As they grow older they get bored, so they're sent out to explore.
The world is many times larger than earth and they've only had a short time with this power so I can see their being a decent supply of explorers.