PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape and ability Damage in 5th edition

SanguisAevum
2015-01-30, 09:10 AM
Hi all.

I am looking for any RAW that cover a situation that happened last night.

Situation...

A Druid Wildshaped into a Bear took several hits from undead shadows resulting in 8 strength damage and enough necrotic HP damage dealt to force a transform back by reducing the druid to 0 HP in Bear form.

Result...

the druid shifts back to caster form.

Issue...

Does the 8 strength damage STLL APPLY to the druid in caster form... or does it disapear?

IE - damage to the druid while in bear form applies to the "Bears HP" and the druid reverts back to his HP when he changes back (with "overspil taken into account)
Does the same apply to the str damage?

There are a number of ways to interprate this, and we resolved it at the table.

BUT i am looking for specific RAW that cover this situation... are there any that apply?

kaoskonfety
2015-01-30, 09:26 AM
At a glance: the power makes no mention of Stat damage or other conditions being affected by Wildshape - you apply the strength damage to the druids base stats when they revert.
You would also stay poisoned, prone, sickened etc.

There has been some extensive debate on this kind of point though.

Kryx
2015-01-30, 09:45 AM
I'm inclined to agree. I've seen the debate threads. If you wanted to be nice you could halve it.

SanguisAevum
2015-01-30, 10:11 AM
At a glance: the power makes no mention of Stat damage or other conditions being affected by Wildshape - you apply the strength damage to the druids base stats when they revert.
You would also stay poisoned, prone, sickened etc.

There has been some extensive debate on this kind of point though.

For reference, i agree with this interpretation.

If other conditions carry over (which makes sense) then so should things like ability damage.

The GM actually ruled that the str damage was applied to the bear's strength and thet my druid no longer siuffered from it after transforming back (which i was thankfull for since tit would have been enough to reduce my druid's str of 8 to 0... effectivly killing me as i transformed back)

I was just trying to find any actual rules to support this.

kaoskonfety
2015-01-30, 10:18 AM
For reference, i agree with this interpretation.

If other conditions carry over (which makes sense) then so should things like ability damage.

The GM actually ruled that the str damage was applied to the bear's strength and thet my druid no longer siuffered from it after transforming back (which i was thankfull for since tit would have been enough to reduce my druid's str of 8 to 0... effectivly killing me as i transformed back)

I was just trying to find any actual rules to support this.

Kind DM is Kind.

Stat damage has always been some nasty stuff.