View Full Version : Ridiculous Character Concepts Challenge I

Frostthehero
2015-01-30, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone. I love the Iron Chef Optimization challenges, but one of the problems I have is that they really only focus on optimization, and they aren't "thematic" enough for me. This thread is more about making a character fun to play, while following a general theme. For example, a "punch-grapple" barbarian. This would be a barbarian who focuses entirely on his unarmed attacks, and his grappling. No weapons. I've said enough, and this thread is unlikely to get very many views anyway, so I'll just launch into the rules.

First up, the concept! Battlemage! This means (in this context at least) a mage who deals damage ONLY through his weapons, (which may or may not be spell enhanced) not through spells that aren't delivered via weapon (such as fireball). Anything that allows you to actually put a spell on a weapon without that being the intended purpose (such as imbue arrow) is disallowed. However, ranged attacks are not banned. Actually, they could be pretty cool.

The character should mostly be focused on actually dealing damage, not something like trap the soul or shivering touch. Think a little bit like psychic warrior, but more transmution-y.

You can make up to 3 characters. If you make more than three, the last three will count. Post them straight onto this thread.

Big thing. No summoning. At all. None. I want this to be just the mage, no minions.
The weapon you use must be an actual purchased (or crafted) weapon. As long as you are required to make an attack roll, and you only hit one target at a time, your build is fair game.

Build your items in. Use standard WBL allowances, and start with 100 gold at level 1, just to standardize everything

LA can be either just hit dice, or ECL. Expect me to look more favorably on ECL, because it limits your options a but more.

THIS SHOULD BE STRICTLY 3.5 CONTENT. NOTHING ELSE.

Builds will be presented at levels 1, 4, 7, and 13. No level 20, and no high point.

Some ground rules for source use.
1. No dragon magazine or dragon compendium - this one sorta goes without saying.
2. Yes splatbooks
3. No unearthed arcana - sorry guys.
4. No cohorts or followers of any kind.

Points will be awarded based off of 4 categories.
Raw power - how effective is this character in combat
Creativity - how unique is this character
Damage dealing capability - while raw power is the sum of combat effectiveness, this focuses on one facet of combat
Tanking capability - the capability to take hits and stay standing
Fun to play - How fun do I think this class will be to play*
You can earn up to 100 points in each category
*This category is worth 50 points maximum, simply because it is more subjective than the other categories.

10 points will be awarded for no multiclassing, with 20 points being awarded for a pure sorcerer or wizard build. 20 points can be added for keeping ALL of your spells in one school.

A maximum of 500 points will be awarded. Once the competition is over, the top 3 builds will be rated. A composite score will be provided, but not scores for individual categories.

Standard 32 point buy will be used.

Contestants have until 5:00 PM GMT on February 15th to submit builds. After that, posting ends.

Builds should be formatted as monsters are in the MM (just the format, please)

There will be a first, second and third place winner, however, you may not win with more than one character!

Bragging rights to the winner, and happy building!

Karl Aegis
2015-01-30, 11:35 AM
I can't even begin to fathom what tanking capability is. Is that how fast one can down a tankard of ale?

sideswipe
2015-01-30, 11:44 AM
I can't even begin to fathom what tanking capability is. Is that how fast one can down a tankard of ale?

brewmaster barleybeard from wonderworker junkyard wars!

as for the thread, optimisation power is only one of the points in it, there is also how original you are (AKA how fun and quirky), how elegant you feel (are you a person or are you a miss match of cheese), and how well you encompass what you were trying to achieve and how you used the ingredients.

i have seen people win or place top 3 in a round with a power score of 1. meaning they were very weak but very original.

is that 5pm today? it takes me 25 hours ish to do an iron chef or the likes, and that is usually after i decide what i wan't to do!

Tragak
2015-01-30, 11:45 AM
Do you mean 5:00 GMT today? I've wanted to start a thread like this for a very long time (my most recent idea was a "Junkyard Wars" where people would only use races, templates, and/or classes that are considered "underpowered"), so I would more than love to join somebody else's, but I'm not sure that I can get an entire build written up in 15 minutes.

I can't even begin to fathom what tanking capability is. Is that how fast one can down a tankard of ale? It's when you and your friends make sure that enemies attack you instead of your friends because you can take more hits than they can.

Frostthehero
2015-01-30, 11:57 AM
I apologize for that time and date error. I fixed it, it is now bolded. Also redefined tanking.

If anyone else spots errors, please let me know.

sideswipe
2015-01-30, 12:11 PM
Builds should be formatted as monsters are in the SRD

WHAT? ALL HORRIBLY MIS-CR'ed?

sakuuya
2015-01-30, 12:16 PM

It's too bad he didn't say that they were formatted like PrC example characters, because then we could just ignore prereqs and stuff.

Frostthehero
2015-01-30, 12:38 PM

how about the MM? Just edited it, also, JUST THE FORMAT!

Judge_Worm
2015-01-30, 08:26 PM
Are we just posting them to this thread?
I can probably cook one up real quick

Mongobear
2015-01-30, 08:50 PM
By the line "a mage who focuses on dealing damage with his weapons, not spells" does that negate Feats and/or class abilities (Arcane Strike, Jade-Phoenix Mage) that allow you to sacrifice a Spell to deal bonus damage dice? As in, I give up a 3rd level spell for the day, and deal and extra 3d6 damage on my next attack or something.

I would imagine that abilities that have you cast via a weapon attack (Spellsword, Duskblade) would be disallowed, since the spell itself is still funtioning, or am I wrong since it all requires a Melee Attack to funtion?

Frostthehero
2015-01-30, 09:22 PM
By the line "a mage who focuses on dealing damage with his weapons, not spells" does that negate Feats and/or class abilities (Arcane Strike, Jade-Phoenix Mage) that allow you to sacrifice a Spell to deal bonus damage dice? As in, I give up a 3rd level spell for the day, and deal and extra 3d6 damage on my next attack or something.

I would imagine that abilities that have you cast via a weapon attack (Spellsword, Duskblade) would be disallowed, since the spell itself is still funtioning, or am I wrong since it all requires a Melee Attack to funtion?

Actually, all of those things would work. I guess a better way to phrase it is deals damage using his weapons, possibly augmented by spells. I put something in there like that, but it was kind of out of the way.

Are we just posting them to this thread?
I can probably cook one up real quick

Yes. Yes you are.

sideswipe
2015-01-30, 09:33 PM
can we cook more then 1? and we post them straight to this? ok then

Frostthehero
2015-01-30, 09:39 PM
can we cook more then 1? and we post them straight to this? ok then

Yes, you may cook up to 3. Added to the main body of text. Yes, post them straight here.

Mongobear
2015-01-30, 10:17 PM
Actually, all of those things would work. I guess a better way to phrase it is deals damage using his weapons, possibly augmented by spells. I put something in there like that, but it was kind of out of the way.

Yes. Yes you are.

So as long as our build requires us to make an attack roll with some form of Weapon, and not just playing Rocket Tag with Orbs of Force, all is fair game? Also are you allowing Pathfinder? or strictly 3.5 content?

WhamBamSam
2015-01-30, 10:40 PM
I'm starting to worry that we have too many Iron Chef knockoffs. If everyone's always cooking it makes it harder to find judges.

That said, I have ideas for this, so we'll see, won't we.

Also, explain what you mean about Imbue Arrow? Why is Spellsword okay, but Arcane Archer not, seeing as they're so similar.

Frostthehero
2015-01-30, 11:15 PM
Also, explain what you mean about Imbue Arrow? Why is Spellsword okay, but Arcane Archer not, seeing as they're so similar.

The difference is that imbue arrow actually casts the spell out of the arrow, so a fireball would explode from the arrow that was fired. With a spellsword, the spell cast into the sword affects ONLY the character who is hit. Effectively, this mage should function such that they are a fighter that can cast spells, but only on his weapons and himself.

Frostthehero
2015-01-30, 11:17 PM
So as long as our build requires us to make an attack roll with some form of Weapon, and not just playing Rocket Tag with Orbs of Force, all is fair game? Also are you allowing Pathfinder? or strictly 3.5 content?

The rule is that the weapon must not be magically conjured, it must be a purchased weapon. This is strictly 3.5

Ermac
2015-01-30, 11:56 PM
Human Warlock
Lvl 1
Str 16 Dex 14 Con 14
Int 10 Wis 8 Cha 15
All extra points into Strength

Only good save is Will
Average BAB
d6 Hit Dice

FEATS
Medium Armor Poficiency
Battle Caster (Medium)
Lvl 3
Heavy Armor Proficiency
Lvl 6
Battle Caster (Heavy)
Lvl 9
Martial Weapon Proficiency (Greatsword)
Lvl 12
Weapon Focus (Greatsword)

SKILLS
Max out:
Use Magic Device
Spellcraft
Knowledge (Arcana)

INVOCATIONS

Lvl 1
Hideous Blow

Lvl 4
Hideous Blow
Spiderwalk
See The Unseen

Lvl 7
Hideous Blow
Spiderwalk
See The Unseen
Fell Flight

Lvl 13
Hideous Blow
Spiderwalk
See The Unseen
Fell Flight
Vitriolic Blast
Repelling Blast
Walk Unseen
Devour Magic

OTHER CLASS FEATURES

Lvl 1
Eldritch Blast 1d6

Lvl 4
Eldritch Blast 2d6
DR 1/Cold Iron
Deceive Item
Detect Magic

Lvl 7
Eldritch Blast 4d6
DR 2/Cold Iron
Deceive Item
Detect Magic

Lvl 13
Eldritch Blast 4d6
DR 2/Cold Iron
Deceive Item
Detect Magic
Energy resistance 5 (two types: I'd pick cold and fire)
DR 3/Cold Iron
Eldritch Blast 6d6
Imbue item
Fiendish resilience 2

Judge_Worm
2015-01-31, 06:18 AM
What's the ruling on LA?
Are we going by HD as our level (so a Bugbear Warrior 1 would be level 4) or are we using our ECL (the same Bugbear Warrior has an ECL of 5).
I assume LA buy off is not allowed since no UA.

I'll have a character posted after work.

Xerlith
2015-01-31, 07:04 AM
No Dragon Magazine, but what about Dragon Compendium?

Frostthehero
2015-01-31, 02:02 PM
What's the ruling on LA?
Are we going by HD as our level (so a Bugbear Warrior 1 would be level 4) or are we using our ECL (the same Bugbear Warrior has an ECL of 5).
I assume LA buy off is not allowed since no UA.

I'll have a character posted after work.

Ill give you a bit more leeway about LA. You can either go with HD or ECL, but expect me to look more favorably on ECL, just because the character is more difficult to build.

No Dragon Magazine, but what about Dragon Compendium?

No. Some of that stuff is so un-playtested it's not even funny.

One other thing I forgot to mention. I would like you to build items in. Use the standard WBL amounts, and start with 100 gold at level 1, just to standardize everything.

sideswipe
2015-01-31, 07:08 PM
No. Some of that stuff is so un-playtested it's not even funny.

One other thing I forgot to mention. I would like you to build items in. Use the standard WBL amounts, and start with 100 gold at level 1, just to standardize everything.

you think any of 3.5 is playtested? it was tested in the same way you look at a sandwich before you eat it.

Xerlith
2015-01-31, 07:47 PM
you think any of 3.5 is playtested? it was tested in the same way you look at a sandwich before you eat it.

Yeah, show me something out of Dragon Comp. and I'll probably be able to one-up it with a thing out of Completes/MIC/SpC

sideswipe
2015-01-31, 08:02 PM
Yeah, show me something out of Dragon Comp. and I'll probably be able to one-up it with a thing out of Completes/MIC/SpC

i can't work out if this was agreeing with me and aimed at who i quoted or if it was aimed at me as a challenge of "they actually play test 3.5".

Xerlith
2015-01-31, 08:05 PM
:smallconfused:
I was being really straightforward here and yes, I was agreeing with you.

WhamBamSam
2015-01-31, 08:11 PM
Yeah, show me something out of Dragon Comp. and I'll probably be able to one-up it with a thing out of Completes/MIC/SpCRaces of the Dragon as a whole is sort of a beautiful steaming hot mess. I'm convinced that no one even tangentially involved in writing it had any clue what they were doing. There might be one or two individual dragon magazines that hold a candle to it's level of borkedness, but the Compendium certainly does not.

What's really getting on my nerves though is the UA ban.

sideswipe
2015-01-31, 08:12 PM
:smallconfused:
I was being really straightforward here and yes, I was agreeing with you.

thought so, thank you :smallsmile:

and yeah, some of the "best" or most interesting classes were not thought through let alone tested. its usually the third party stuff and homebrew which is more balanced (you just have to find the credible bits and wade through the reams of filth).

Xerlith
2015-01-31, 08:18 PM
Two words, guys. Serpent. Kingdoms.

sideswipe
2015-01-31, 08:24 PM
What's really getting on my nerves though is the UA ban.

the what? i don't follow.

WhamBamSam
2015-01-31, 08:31 PM
the what? i don't follow.
3. No unearthed arcana - sorry guys.It's proving more inconvenient to me than you might imagine. I mean, the ideas still work without it. They just don't quite work as smoothly or as stylishly, and I don't find them sufficiently satisfying to submit.

sideswipe
2015-01-31, 08:38 PM
It's proving more inconvenient to me than you might imagine. I mean, the ideas still work without it. They just don't quite work as smoothly or as stylishly, and I don't find them sufficiently satisfying to submit.

ahhhhh you were actually talking about the thread and not digressing...... :smallbiggrin:

MorgromTheOrc
2015-01-31, 10:33 PM
Wouldn't the perfect character for what he wants just be any melee build artificer?

Dysart
2015-01-31, 11:42 PM
Oh I forgot one!

Drow Monk/Paladin (using feat to stack both class abilities) with Vow of Poverty, blind and a kind GM to give me Blindsense 60ft.... Survived everything and 1 shotted anything evil.

Frostthehero
2015-02-01, 04:10 PM
Oh I forgot one!

Drow Monk/Paladin (using feat to stack both class abilities) with Vow of Poverty, blind and a kind GM to give me Blindsense 60ft.... Survived everything and 1 shotted anything evil.

are you in the right thread?

Judge_Worm
2015-02-01, 04:14 PM
Meant to make/post this 2 days ago, but reality interfered. So without further ado, I present to you;

Derlog
Medium Humanoid (Dwarf, Dragonblood)
Fireblood Dwarf
Barbarian 1/ Sorcerer 10/ Fighter 2
Hit Dice: 1d12 + 3d6 + 2d8 + 7d4 + 65 (114 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: 22 (+2 +1 Padded Armor, +5 Impervious Vestment, +4 Cloak of Battle, +1 deflection from Ring of Protection +1), touch 10, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+12
Attack: +1 Admantine Dwarven Ugrosh of Frost/Impaling +13 melee (1d8+5/1d6+5, x3, slashing or piercing)
Full Attack: +1 Admantine Dwarven Ugrosh of Frost/Impaling +13 melee (1d8+5/1d6+5, x3, slashing or piercing)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rage 3/day
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Stonecunning, Stability, Dragon Dodge (+4 dodge bonus against dragons), Fire Resistance 5, (the rest of the dwarven racial features), Arcane Earthbond, Power of Stone, Earth Meditation
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +3, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18 (16 +2 Belt of the Champion), Dex 10, Con 20 (16 + 2 Dwarf +2 Amulet of Health), Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 17 (16 + -2 Dwarf + 3 leveling)
Skills: Spellcraft +7, Concentration +12, Speak Language +3, Intimidate +6, Bluff +5
Skills(with modifiers): Spellcraft +5, Concentration +16, Speak Language +3, Intimidate +9, Bluff +8
Feats: Extra Rage, Power Attack, Dragonfire Assault, Cleave, Great Cleave, Reckless Rage, Steady Concentration
Environment: Temperate mountains
Organization: Solitary or with Adventuring Party
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: See Items below
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

Relevant information not otherwise included in a monster manual entry
Spells Known (all of which are in the transmutation school): 0th- Amanuensis, Launch Bolt, Launch Item, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Repair Minor Damage, Stick; 1st- Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Jump, Magic Weapon; 2nd- Bear’s Endurance, Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Eagle’s Splendor; 3rd- Dragonskin, Fly, Greater Magic Weapon; 4th- Heart of Earth, Voice of the Dragon; 5th- Draconic Might
Spells Per Day: 0th- 6; 1st- 8; 2nd- 7; 3rd- 8; 4th- 5; 5th- 4
Languages: Common, Dwarf, Goblin, Orc, Draconic
Items: 1st level- Studded Leather Armor (+3 bonus), Heavy Steel Shield (+2 bonus), Dwarven Waraxe +4 melee (1d10+3, x3, slashing), 25gp; 3rd level- Padded Armor (+1 bonus, Spell Failure 5%), Masterwork Alchemical Silver Dwarven Ugrosh +6 melee (1d8+3/1d6+3, x3, slashing or piercing), Bracers of Armor +1, Boots of Stomping, 265gp; 7th level- +1 Blurring Padded Armor(+2 bonus, Spell Failure 5%), +1 Ghost Strike Dwarven Waraxe +9 melee (1d10+3, x3, slashing), Armband of Elusive Action, Amulet of Natural Armor +1, Boots of Stomping, Brute Gauntlets, Cloak of Predatory Vigor, Wand of Cure Light Wounds 465gp; 13th level- +1 Padded Armor(+2 bonus, Spell Failure 5%), +1 Admantine Dwarven Ugrosh of Frost/Impaling +13 melee (1d8+5/1d6+5, x3, slashing or piercing), Angelhelm, Amulet of Health +2, Ring of Protection +1, Armbands of Might, Belt of the Champion, Impervious Vestment, Cloak of Battle, Boots of Tremorsense, Wand of Cure Light Wounds, 195gp

Level 1: Barbarian 1d12 Fast Movement, Rage 1/day Extra Rage
Level 2: Dwarf Sorcerer 1d6 Arcane Earthbond
Level 3: Fighter 1d8 Power Attack, Dragonfire Assault
Level 4: Sorcerer 1d4 Cha +1
Level 5: Sorcerer 1d4
Level 6: Sorcerer 1d4 Cleave
Level 7: Dwarf Sorcerer 1d6 Power of Stone
Level 8: Fighter 1d8 Cha +1, Great Cleave
Level 9: Sorcerer 1d4 Reckless Rage
Level 10: Sorcerer 1d4
Level 11: Sorcerer 1d4
Level 12: Dwarf Sorcerer 1d6 Earth Meditation Cha +1, Steady Concentration
Level 13: Sorcerer 1d4

Books Used:
Complete Mage (Spells)
Complete Warrior (Feats)
Dragon Magic (Race, Feats)
Dungeon Master’s Guide (Items)
Magic Item Compendium (Items)
Player’s Handbook (Classes, Feats, Spells, Items)
Races of Stone (ACF, Feats)
Spell Compendium (Spells)

Dysart
2015-02-01, 05:08 PM
are you in the right thread?

Nope, definitely not....woops!

Tragak
2015-02-02, 08:51 PM
I'll have to double check the math, but I think my "Arcane Archer INO" is done.

Level 1: Sorcerer
Medium Humanoid (Human)
HD: 1d4+2
Initiative: +7
Speed: 30 feet
AC: 13 (+3 DEX), Touch 13, Flat-footed 10
Attack: Shortbow +3 ranged (1d6/x3)
Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: STR 10, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 16
Skills: Bluff +7, Knowledge (arcana) +4
Feats: Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot
Spells (5/4, Save DC 13 + spell level): 0th - Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Read Magic; 1st - Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor

Equipment: Shortbow, 40 arrows, Spell component pouch

Level 4: Sorcerer 1 / Ranger 2 / Scout 1
Medium Humanoid (Human)
HD: 1d4+3d8+8
Base attack / grapple: +2
Initiative: +8
AC: 14 (+4 DEX), Touch 14, Flat-footed 10
Attack: Shortbow +7 ranged (1d6/x3)
Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +2
Abilities: STR 10, DEX 19, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 16
Skills: Bluff +12, Diplomacy +7, Intimidate +5, Listen +5, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Sense Motive +5, Sleight of Hand +6, Spot +5
Feats: Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Track, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot
Spells (5/4, Save DC 13 + spell level): 0th - Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Read Magic; 1st - Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor

Trapfinding
Wild Empathy
Skirmish (+1d6 when moving at least 10 feet)
Favored Enemy (Undead +2)

Equipment: Masterwork shortbow, 40 masterwork arrows, Gloves of Dexterity +2, Spell component pouch

Level 7: Sorcerer 1 / Ranger 2 / Scout 4
Medium Humanoid (Human)
HD: 1d4+6d8+14
Base attack / grapple: +4
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30+10 feet
AC: 14 (+4 DEX), Touch 14, Flat-footed 10
Attack: Shortbow +11 ranged (1d6+2/x3)
Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +3
Abilities: STR 10, DEX 19, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 18
Skills: Bluff +13, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +10, Listen +5, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Sense Motive +10, Sleight of Hand +6, Spot +10, Survival +10
Feats: Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Track, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Swift Hunter, Improved Skirmish
Spells (5/4, Save DC 14 + spell level): 0th - Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Read Magic; 1st - Expeditious Retreat, Mage Armor

Trap finding
Wild Empathy
Skirmish (+2d6/ +1 AC when moving at least 10 feet)
Favored Enemy (Undead +4, Constructs +2)
Trackless Step
Fast Movement +10
Battle Fortitude +1
Uncanny Dodge

Equipment: +2 shortbow, 40 masterwork arrows, Gloves of Dexterity +2, Cloak of Charisma +2, Spell component pouch

Level 13: Sorcerer 7 / Ranger 2, Scout 4
Medium Humanoid (Human)
HD: 7d4+6d8+26
Base attack / grapple: +8
Initiative: +12
Speed: 30+10 feet
AC: 20 (+7 DEX, +3 armor), Touch 17, Flat-footed 13
Attack: +3 Bane Shortbow +18 ranged (1d6+3/x3 + 1d6 fire [+2d10 fire on a critical] OR 1d6+3/x3 + 1d6 cold [+2d10 cold on a critical])
Fort +9, Ref +17, Will +6
Abilities: STR 10, DEX 24, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 19
Skills: Bluff +13, Diplomacy +8, Intimidate +10, Listen +5, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Sense Motive +10, Sleight of Hand +6, Spot +10, Survival +10
Feats: Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Track, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Manyshot, Swift Hunter, Improved Skirmish, Extend Spell
Spells (6/7/7/5, Save DC 14 + spell level): 0th - Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Ghost Sound, Light, Predestigation, Read Magic, Resistance; 1st - Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Mage Armor, True Strike; 2nd - Invisibility, Resist Energy, Spider Climb; 3rd - Blink, Haste

Trap finding
Wild Empathy
Skirmish (+2d6/ +1 AC when moving at least 10 feet or +4d6/ +2 AC when moving at least 20)
Favored Enemy (Undead +4, Constructs +2)
Trackless Step
Fast Movement +10
Battle Fortitude +1
Uncanny Dodge

Equipment: +3 Bane (undead) shortbow, 20 +1 Flaming Burst arrows, 20 +1 Icy Burst arrows, Gloves of Dexterity +6, Cloak of Charisma +2, Bracers of Armor, Boots of Speed, Spell component pouch

Frostthehero
2015-02-06, 06:25 PM
thus far only 3 characters have been posted, which is a depressingly low number, but still more than I expected.

Frostthehero
2015-02-12, 07:15 PM
3 days left

WhamBamSam
2015-02-12, 10:04 PM
I may still cook something up. Question though. Is Area Attack kosher for the purposes of this competition. It's certainly swinging a weapon (albeit and improvised one), but it doesn't use an attack roll.

Also, if I may ask, why the UA ban? That's been a big factor in sapping my interest for this.

Frostthehero
2015-02-12, 10:35 PM
I may still cook something up. Question though. Is Area Attack kosher for the purposes of this competition. It's certainly swinging a weapon (albeit and improvised one), but it doesn't use an attack roll.

Also, if I may ask, why the UA ban? That's been a big factor in sapping my interest for this.

The only area attack I know is 4.0, but if you can find a 3.5 version, go for it.

As for the UA ban, the issue was simply that I wanted to see if I could manage something like this before I went full scale. Next time I'll likely allow UA.

PraxisVetli
2015-02-12, 11:08 PM
The only area attack I know is 4.0, but if you can find a 3.5 version, go for it.

As for the UA ban, the issue was simply that I wanted to see if I could manage something like this before I went full scale. Next time I'll likely allow UA.

Miniature's handbook has war hulk, which has something akin.
More on topic, Warmind can.

Wait.
Are psion's casters?

WhamBamSam
2015-02-13, 02:12 AM

As for the UA ban, the issue was simply that I wanted to see if I could manage something like this before I went full scale. Next time I'll likely allow UA.It's on page 30 of Savage Species. Here's the text...

Prerequisite
Power Attack (PH) , STR 19, Huge size,
Benefit
You can use your great size and strength to pick up a heavy object and attack an area as a standard action. Such an attack may consist of swinging a large log or smashing a door down on opponents' heads. The area affected is a half-circle with a radius equal to your reach. You deal damage to all creatures two or more size categories smaller than you within the area. The base damage dealt depends on your size category, as given on the table below. Add 1 1/2 times your Strength bonus to this base damage to determine the total damage for the attack. Size ------- Category Damage. Huge --------- 1d8. Gargantuan - 2d6. Colossal ----- 2d8. Though it can deal significant damage, this form of attack is awkward and unbalancing. You incur a -2 penalty to your Armor Class and on Reflex saves until your next action.

I'll be using Polymorph to qualify, and will only qualify for the feat while in a suitable form.

Actually, I'll just do the build now.

Human Wizard 5/Mindbender 1/War Weaver 5/Wizard +2

Specialize in Transmutation, ban Evocation and Illusion. Take the Immediate Magic variant in PHB II giving up the familiar for the ability to take unusual movement modes as an immediate action.

32 Point Buy: 14 Str, 10 Dex, 14 Con, 18 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Cha
All level increases go to Int.

Feat Progression:
1 - Scribe Scroll, Power Attack, Fell Drain
3 - Fell Weaken
5 - Enlarge Spell
6 - Mindsight
9 - Area Attack
12 - Arcane Thesis (Blade of Blood)

Levels 1, 4, and 7 aren't particularly interesting, honestly. You can cast some sort of interesting stuff to try and mix it up in melee if you really want to, but mostly you're just a standard god wizard but missing a few spells you'd like to have because of the contest restrictions. I haven't bothered with the statblocks. Prior to getting Area Attack, if you want to do sword-based wizardry, you'll mostly default to the usual suspects, though there is one noteworthy thing to showcase. That is, both Blade of Blood and Whirling Blade are spells that deal damage, and therefore valid targets for Fell X metamagics. At level 8 you can cast high enough spells to pay the +2 price tag on level 1 and 2 spells, so consider changing things up from trying to do Polymorphed face-biting by using Master's Touch on a Greatsword and flinging it at your enemies, as you're a little frail for the former.

Medium Humanoid (Human)
HD: 13d4+26 (90 HP)
Base attack / grapple: +3/+5
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30
Fort +5, Will +11, Ref +3
Abilities: STR 14, DEX 10, CON 14, INT 19, WIS 10, CHA 8
Skills: Craft (Weaving) 16, Concentration 16, Spellcraft 16, Knowledge (Arcana) 11, Bluff 4, Sense Motive 4, Diplomacy 4, Intimidate 4
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Power Attack, Fell Drain, Fell Weaken, Enlarge Spell, Mindsight, Area Attack, Arcane Thesis (Blade of Blood)
Features: Spellcasting (12th level Wizard), Immediate Magic (Transmutation), Telepathy 100ft, Eldritch Tapestry, Quiescent Weaving 4, Enlarge Tapestry

Now we're really cooking. Store up a Polymorph or Draconic Polymorph, a Lesser Ironguard, and perhaps a few other defensive buffs in your Eldritch Tapestry with Quiescent Weaving. Carry some large metal somethings which you've made easily transportable with Shrink Item. When combat starts, discharge your Eldritch Tapestry as a move action, granting the buffs to your whole party. You yourself will transform into an Ibraldin (Monsters of Faerun) for its Gargantuan size. Say the command to unshrink one of your metal things as a free action. Next, Cast a Fell Drain Fell Weaken Blade of Blood (a 3rd level spell, thanks to Arcane Thesis) on your 'improvised' weapon as a Swift Action. Finally, Area Attack with your giant metal thingy as a standard action. Your allies are unaffected, as it's a metal thing and they're under the benefits of Lesser Ironguard. Enemies on the other hand, take the hit and you get to deliver your Blade of Blood, metamagic and all, to every last one of them.

Also nifty, you can cast Brilliant Blade on the thing you swing, allowing it to pass through walls and such after finding them with Mindsight. Miss chance due to total concealment likely still applies, but still, it's better than you can usually do with a weapon, since it evens out with the lack of attack roll.

The reason for Immediate Transmutation is that with the Ibraldin as a go-to form, you won't be just flying with polymorph. You could use Overland Flight, of course, but this competition doesn't really allow you to get to a level where you can fling around 5th level spells willy-nilly. Especially when so many are going into Draconic Polymorph and Lesser Ironguard.

As an aside, I really dislike the MM format for these write ups. Especially when the challenge will so frequently involve buffing yourself to high heaven. Some of the fields just don't make sense to fill in when they can change so wildly based on equipment or buff time.

That said, it's possible I'll come back tomorrow and take the Whirling Blade schitck that the above build toys with briefly and then sets down to its logical conclusion with a level draining Iaijutsu Sorcerer.

Xerlith
2015-02-13, 07:15 AM
Whirling Blade of Blood build

Aaand you posted what I wanted to post. Damn ninjas. :smallfrown:

WhamBamSam
2015-02-13, 01:43 PM
Aaand you posted what I wanted to post. Damn ninjas. :smallfrown:That's why the other IC-style competitions submit everything anonymously and have it all revealed at the same time. Anyway, If I'm going to be scooping people with the idea, I may as well go through with it.

Middle Aged Necropolitan Forestlord Elf Marshal 3/Dragonblood Sorcerer 5/Spellsword 6

1. Marshal 1 - Aereni Focus (Iaijutsu Focus), Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
2. Dragonblood Sorcerer 1 - Draconic Heritage (Green)
3. Marshal 2 - Darkstalker
4. Marshal 3
5. Dragonblood Sorcerer 2
6. Dragonblood Sorcerer 3 - Practicced Spellcaster
7. Dragonblood Sorcerer 4
8. Spellsword 1
9. Spellsword 2 - Fell Drain, Rapid Metamagic
10. Spellsword 3
11. Spellsword 4
12. Spellsword 5 - Practical Metamagic (Fell Drain)
13. Dragonblood Sorcerer 5

Level 1Medium Humanoid (Elf, Dragonblood)
HD: 1d8-3 (5 HP)
Base attack / grapple: +0/+2
Initiative: +5
Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +1
Abilities: STR 12, DEX 12, CON 5, INT 16, WIS 9, CHA 19
Skills: Iaijutsu Focus 4, Hide 4, Concentration 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Move Silently 2, Spellcraft 2, Bluff 4
Feats: Aereni Focus (Iaijutsu Focus), Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
Special Qualities: Minor Aura (Motivate Dexterity)

You're frail in the early going in anticipation of going undead. That said, you're pretty stealthy (Hide is always a class skill for Forestlord Elves), and make the whole party's initiative better with Motivate Dexterity, which will hopefully get you out of the deathtrap that is level one more or less intact. You also have a +11 to Iaijutsu Focus (made a class skill by Aereni Focus), which means that if you can catch an enemy off guard, you'll always be looking at some bonus damage.

Level 4Medium Undead (Elf, Dragonblood)
HD: 4d12 (31 HP)
Base attack / grapple: +2/+4
Initiative: +6
Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: STR 12, DEX 12, CON -, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 20
Skills: Iaijutsu Focus 7, Hide 7, Concentration 7, Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Move Silently 7, Spellcraft 5, Bluff 4
Feats: Aereni Focus (Iaijutsu Focus), Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Draconic Heritage (Green), Darkstalker
Special Qualities: Minor Aura (Motivate Dexterity, Motivate Charisma), Major Aura (Resilient Troops) +1
Special Attacks: Spellcasting (1st level Sorcerer)
Spells Known: 0th level: Sonic Snap, Slash Tongue, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, 1st level: Distract, Blade of Blood

Draconic Heritage (Green) adds Move Silently as a class skill to everything forever. Between that and Darkstalker you've basically got everything you need to be a sneak now. Distract Assailant helps ensure that you can get enemies flat-footed (assuming it doesn't violate the contest rules, as I imagine grease would), and Blade of Blood increases your damage a bit. Motivate Dexterity is still your out-of-combat default, but in combat, you can use a swift action to switch to Motivate Charisma to jack up your Iaijutsu Focus checks.

Level 7Medium Undead (Elf, Dragonblood)
HD: 7d12 (51 HP)
Base attack / grapple: +4/+6
Initiative: +6
Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +5
Abilities: STR 12, DEX 12, CON -, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 20
Skills: Iaijutsu Focus 10, Hide 10, Concentration 9, Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Move Silently 9, Spellcraft 10, Bluff 4
Feats: Aereni Focus (Iaijutsu Focus), Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Draconic Heritage (Green), Darkstalker, Practiced Spellcaster
Special Qualities: Minor Aura (Motivate Dexterity, Motivate Charisma), Major Aura (Resilient Troops) +1
Special Attacks: Spellcasting (4th level Sorcerer)
Spells Known: 0th level: Sonic Snap, Slash Tongue, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost, Acid Splash
1st level: Blade of Blood, Distract Assailant, Master's Touch, Nerveskitter
2nd level: Whirling Blade

You're at the level where you'll want a magic weapon instead of a bunch of mundane daggers, and specifically, as an iaijutsu user, you'll want a Gnomish Quickrazor, so Master's Touch is here to give you proficiency when you need it. Whirling Blade is finally online as well, which means you get more Cha SAD along with being able to hit more enemies at once with more range.

Level 13Medium Undead (Elf, Dragonblood)
HD: 13d12 (90 HP)
Base attack / grapple: +9/+11
Initiative: +7
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: STR 12, DEX 12, CON -, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 22
Skills: Iaijutsu Focus 16, Hide 16, Concentration 16, Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Move Silently 16, Spellcraft 12, Bluff 7
Feats: Aereni Focus (Iaijutsu Focus), Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Draconic Heritage (Green), Darkstalker, Practiced Spellcaster, Fell Drain, Rapid Metamagic, Practical Metamagic (Fell Drain)
Special Qualities: Minor Aura (Motivate Dexterity, Motivate Charisma), Major Aura (Resilient Troops) +1, Ignore Spell Failure 20%
Special Attacks: Channel Spell 3/day, Spellcasting (8th level Sorcerer)
Spells Known: 0th level: Sonic Snap, Slash Tongue, Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Ray of Frost, Acid Splash, Daze, Resistance
1st level: Blade of Blood, Distract Assailant, Master's Touch, Nerveskitter, Benign Transposition, Insightful Feint
2nd level: Whirling Blade, Alter Self, Invisibility
3rd level: Shivering Touch, Haste
4th level: Enervation

You can now use Fell Drain Whirling Blade as a 3rd level standard action spell, and Fell Drain Blade of Blood as a swift. Since your Move Action is free, I decided I may as well throw on a bit of Spellsword so that thrice each day you can add another channeled spell to the cocktail. A nice low leveled option is Fell Drain Slash Tongue, and Shivering Touch and Enervation are there if you want to really blast someone.

If you're going to a higher level, consider dropping Practiced Spellcaster and aiming for Black Lore of Moil so that you can make Shivering Touch and Enervation into valid spells for Fell Drain.

Frostthehero
2015-02-28, 12:20 PM
So, sorry I forgot about this thread.
I came up with the results.

1st place - WhamBamSam's first build (the area attack guy), with a total score of 320
2nd place - Judge_Worm, with a score of 260
3rd place - Ermac, with a score of 245

Thanks to everyone who gave input. I may or may not do another one of these.

Happy gaming!

Jormengand
2015-02-28, 12:47 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave input. I may or may not do another one of these.

If you're not, can I do one for my Droplomancer challenge? I just saw this and feel the two could work awesomely together.

Frostthehero
2015-03-09, 04:08 PM
If you're not, can I do one for my Droplomancer challenge? I just saw this and feel the two could work awesomely together.

absolutely.

Jormengand
2015-03-09, 05:50 PM
absolutely.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402795-Ridiculous-Character-Concepts-2-Slam-Dunk!&p=18933678#post18933678