PDA

View Full Version : Crafting magic item help.

Jgosse
2015-01-30, 01:05 PM
How much would a continuous item granting arrow mind and sniper shot be? Both are 1st level spells. 2000 one is minutes per level and the other 1 round. So 4000 and 8000. So what is next?

ace rooster
2015-01-30, 01:38 PM
If your DM was taking the magic item pricing guidelines as gospel then I think you are correct, and you add an extra 75% of the cheaper ability, giving a total of 15000gp. Where it gets iffy is that your DM is not obliged to follow the guidelines, or indeed to let the item exist at all. Additionally the pricing guidelines are that first you look for the pricing of similar items, and while I can't think of any similar items this item is more powerful than the spell levels would suggest. I would certainly make it much more than 15000gp.

Basically it costs whatever your DM says it does.

Jgosse
2015-01-30, 02:03 PM
If your DM was taking the magic item pricing guidelines as gospel then I think you are correct, and you add an extra 75% of the cheaper ability, giving a total of 15000gp. Where it gets iffy is that your DM is not obliged to follow the guidelines, or indeed to let the item exist at all. Additionally the pricing guidelines are that first you look for the pricing of similar items, and while I can't think of any similar items this item is more powerful than the spell levels would suggest. I would certainly make it much more than 15000gp.

Basically it costs whatever your DM says it does.
More then
I was hoping, I may just have two rings or something.

Jgosse
2015-01-30, 02:13 PM
ultiple Similar Abilities

For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

I thought it would be 11k from this

Jeraa
2015-01-30, 02:40 PM
ultiple Similar Abilities

For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

I thought it would be 11k from this

No. That is actually only for things that draw from the same source, like the charges on a staff.

For everything else, there is no discount. All the additional abilities (Beyond the most expensive) receive a 50% price increase.

Think about it - your single item is better than two separate items, as it only takes up 1 slot. So it should cost more than the 2 single items, not less.

And from the section on adding new abilities to an existing magic item:

If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character’s body (see Magic Items on the Body, page 214), the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.

Jgosse
2015-01-30, 02:43 PM
No. That is actually only for things that draw from the same source, like the charges on a staff.

For everything else, there is no discount. All the additional abilities (Beyond the most expensive) receive a 50% price increase.

Think about it - your single item is better than two separate items, as it only takes up 1 slot. So it should cost more than the 2 single items, not less.

Ok that's what that is about. Ok so 8+4+2 = 14000 then?

Jeraa
2015-01-30, 02:46 PM
Ok that's what that is about. Ok so 8+4+2 = 14000 then?

By the formulas, yes.

But remember, the formulas are actually the last place to look for item pricing. You are supposed to compare to existing items with similar effects first. I don't know if there are any, but those would be the first place to start.

Jgosse
2015-01-30, 03:04 PM
By the formulas, yes.

But remember, the formulas are actually the last place to look for item pricing. You are supposed to compare to existing items with similar effects first. I don't know if there are any, but those would be the first place to start.

None that I know could find.