PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Converting 3.5 PrCs to 5E Classes/Subclasses

Wartex1
2015-01-30, 01:35 PM
I've been thinking of doing this for especially unique Prestige Classes, but I'm not entirely sure which ones.

So, this topic is for suggestions for PrCs, those who wish to post their conversions, or those who wish to work as a group to convert PrCs.

BRKNdevil
2015-01-30, 10:29 PM
Atavist from Eberron for the monk as a subclass to gain something like a soulknife's abilities. I think this would be harder to balance considering that magic item progression is no longer calculated in monster difficulty and that was one of its main abilities. I guess you could do something like the elemental disciple and gain magic weapon as a ki move.

Sacred Fist/ Initiate of Pistis Sophia/ a bunch of others from Eberron, as a monk subclass

And if anyone could comment on the Drunken master subclass i've been working on that is linked to below, that would be lovely.

Amnoriath
2015-01-31, 12:01 PM
Atavist from Eberron for the monk as a subclass to gain something like a soulknife's abilities. I think this would be harder to balance considering that magic item progression is no longer calculated in monster difficulty and that was one of its main abilities. I guess you could do something like the elemental disciple and gain magic weapon as a ki move.

The Atavist actually should be quite simple. The Martial Arts progression gives you almost all the scaling you need. All you really need to do is sprinkle the telepathy, mind affecting immunity, and banishing strike and you are good to go. In fact I might just do it unless someone else has their heart set on it.

ReturnOfTheKing
2015-01-31, 01:02 PM
What about Artificers? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but they were a prestige class, right? I'd love to play one in 5th Edition :smallbiggrin:

Rfkannen
2015-01-31, 01:40 PM
Well cavileir is just a classic, we need some incarnation of it.

dread pirates are my favorite prc hands down. I love how flavorful they are.

dirdge bard. Necromancer bard? Hands down awesome

warshaper is cool

Amnoriath
2015-01-31, 03:40 PM
What about Artificers? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but they were a prestige class, right? I'd love to play one in 5th Edition :smallbiggrin:

Not for 3.5 though. You could though take those Artificer like Faerun PrC's though and go with them(Gondsman..etc)

Wartex1
2015-01-31, 05:25 PM
I've seen several versions of a 5E Artificer floating around.

Amnoriath
2015-02-01, 02:07 PM
The Atavist is ready for PEACH.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YXqQoYnbjVqRyu4SbZ6GqI-mk3IxFiwtMS4Xhe6o6pU/edit

BRKNdevil
2015-02-01, 03:58 PM
you forgot to open it to people with access to the link

Amnoriath
2015-02-01, 05:47 PM
you forgot to open it to people with access to the link

Sorry, should work now.

Rfkannen
2015-02-01, 07:58 PM
Sorry, should work now.

It is not. I would like to see it though.

Amnoriath
2015-02-01, 09:12 PM
Blast, must of not saved it. It really should do so now

Ghost Dragon
2015-02-03, 12:00 AM
Hey all, check this coversion out for the Enlightened Fist Monk PrC as a subclass, let me know what ya think re balance & flavour. Any and all suggestions welcome.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396321-Monk-Archetype-Way-of-The-Enlightened-Fist

I though as it's got it's own thread I would save myself time just putting in a link as then I only have to update one with changes :smallwink:

Also, was just reading over the old Enlightened Fist PrC and the 3rd level Arcane Fist feature was to me another iconic ability of the class, but thinking about putting that into my subclass I wasn't sure where it would go progression wise and whether the ability to deliver a melee spell attack with an unarmed strike would make it too OP? Any thoughts on that/ideas on mechanically how it would work?

Amnoriath
2015-02-03, 10:23 AM
Ghost Dragon, Enlightened Fist
1. MAD 4 stats, either change to wisdom or change Monk features to Intelligence
2. Base ability solid and appropriate for 5e. The ki ability is more expensive and worse than an extra flurry attack at the same level.
3. Hold ray is too late. In 3.5 it was increasing options and attack stacking here though it just gives a melee option to a ranged spell.
4. Arcane Rejuvenation is a contingent Arcane Recovery with ki as an option. An equivalent level caster at the point will succeed 65% of the time(assuming you make the stat changes I specified). While this is the same as Spell Thief your fellow casters is more likely to think it to be the party's benefit if they let you have a spell known than simply trading a slot.

Ghost Dragon
2015-02-03, 07:53 PM
Ghost Dragon, Enlightened Fist
1. MAD 4 stats, either change to wisdom or change Monk features to Intelligence
2. Base ability solid and appropriate for 5e. The ki ability is more expensive and worse than an extra flurry attack at the same level.
3. Hold ray is too late. In 3.5 it was increasing options and attack stacking here though it just gives a melee option to a ranged spell.
4. Arcane Rejuvenation is a contingent Arcane Recovery with ki as an option. An equivalent level caster at the point will succeed 65% of the time(assuming you make the stat changes I specified). While this is the same as Spell Thief your fellow casters is more likely to think it to be the party's benefit if they let you have a spell known than simply trading a slot.

Hey there and thanks for the feedback.
I have removed ritual casting, put fists of energy at 3rd and made "Deflect Magic" for 6th. I have changed fists of energy slightly to reflect the actual spell Elemental Weapon and it's progression compared to full casters. As its the iconic feature I wanted it to be able to reach it's highest potential by 17th level. Removed poison as a damage type too as it's not really classed as an energy type. I used fangs of the fire snake ki cost as a base due to it being a 1st level spell, and then went with Elemental Weapon mechanics for Fists of Energy for one round, as it is a 3rd level spell that last for an hour, which is where it goes to at level 17 now, being able to cast it as normal for 8 ki points, which is comparabel to the astral projection cost in the monk entry of a similar level slot.
I also realised if a melee attack spell counts as an Attack action for both Flurry and Martial Arts, it allows the monk to get a spell off and get at least one unarmed strike at 3rd level, and fighters only get that with a cantrip at 7th, and then a normal spell at 18th, so I changed it to only work with flurry straight away, meaning it is resource dependant so cant be abused to much, and then included martial arts at 17th to keep pace with fighter. What o you think the ki point cost now?
As far as MAD goes, I didnt think so but as I thought the need for a third ability score helped keep balance as having spells and ki gives this class two resources to draw upon, where as most classes have only the one... except Sorcerers of course.
Hold Ray is thematic you are right, and I have removed its ki point cost. Would you think swapping it with "Deflect Magic" is the way to go in terms of progression?
With Arcane Rejuvenation I wanted it to be thematic again and not just copy another class feature (another reason to axe ritual casting). Perhaps in the spellcasting section give an option to use your intelligence or wisdom to determin the save DC?
Cheers :smallsmile:

Ghost Dragon
2015-02-04, 12:31 AM

Sacred Fist/ Initiate of Pistis Sophia/ a bunch of others from Eberron, as a monk subclass

And if anyone could comment on the Drunken master subclass i've been working on that is linked to below, that would be lovely.

Check this out for my Sacred Fist subclass, let me know what ya think.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396545-Monk-Archetype-Way-of-the-Sacred-Fist&p=18764881#post18764881

Kane0
2015-02-04, 03:24 AM
I'd love to see an Eldritch Disciple (or is it Enlightened Spirit? The Divine warlock PrC)
A cavalier/outrider or other mounted subclass option for fighter would be awesome
The inquisitor as a rogue or perhaps bard subclass option could be fun as well.

BRKNdevil
2015-02-06, 10:03 PM
I would like to see if someone can combine the shifter alternative class features and the Moonspeaker PrC into a Shifter Druid Subclass. both the alt class features and the PrC come from the Races of Eberron. the shifter race is from the Unearthed Arcana that they came out with from WotC and thus probably more legit then the other things we cook up here.

The Atavist is ready for PEACH.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YXqQoYnbjVqRyu4SbZ6GqI-mk3IxFiwtMS4Xhe6o6pU/edit

This seems really balanced on paper, but would probably need playtests that don't have things that can be banished initially to see if it isn't to focused.

Amnoriath
2015-02-07, 12:18 AM
This seems really balanced on paper, but would probably need playtests that don't have things that can be banished initially to see if it isn't to focused.

I am not too worried about it being too focused. While the Banishment is its most prominent encounter ender it has a debuff option, buffing option as well as well long range telepathy or mind-reading, something to help intelligence checks, and some decent action economy as well as immunities in the end. Besides this edition really buffed up the amount of creatures that are technically outsiders so many of your difficult encounters at that point will include them. Hopefully this means you like it.

Ghost Dragon
2015-02-08, 09:26 PM
Check this out for a conversion of the 3.5 Dervish PrC to a barbarian subclass. Comments welcome as always.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397494-Barbarian-Archetype-Dervish&p=18790193#post18790193

Amnoriath
2015-02-22, 05:48 PM
At some point I will get my Frostrager up.

Ghost Dragon
2015-02-28, 07:32 AM
Check this out for a conversion of 3.5 rogue PrC the Shadowbane Stalker. Comments would be welcome as normal, first draft only. Cheers ;)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400808-Rogue-Archetype-Shadowbane-Stalker

Amnoriath
2015-03-09, 09:12 AM
Frost Rager is finished. While it may not be the same the original does things offensively in which can already be done so I took a bit of a different direction.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13DEKesVqOM58jJhb0D4pHFNBdYS9Kx48lbcB7-SFesw/edit?usp=sharing

Thanatos 51-50
2015-03-09, 10:05 AM
Personally, I'd really like to see Urban Soul, because its such a fun concept.
Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of Races of Destiny, so I'm kind of lost as to how to proceed.

I'm also struggling with whether to make it a Druid or a Ranger subclass. (I'm leaning towards Ranger)

Submortimer
2015-03-09, 03:21 PM
Things on my personal list to make:
- Rage mage (as a warlock patron and as a sorcerer bloodline)
- Blood Mage (as a wizard tradition)
- Candle Caster (because reasons)
- Elemental bloodlines
- Elemental Patrons
- a new Pact type
- Style feats

BRKNdevil
2015-03-09, 06:08 PM
Things on my personal list to make:
- Rage mage (as a warlock patron and as a sorcerer bloodline)
- Blood Mage (as a wizard tradition)
- Candle Caster (because reasons)
- Elemental bloodlines
- Elemental Patrons
- a new Pact type
- Style feats

SO i made a sorcerer Blood magic Origin, and in Enworld I think someone made the Rage Mage as well as the elemental bloodlines

Sindeloke
2015-03-10, 03:01 AM
I'd love to see an Eldritch Disciple (or is it Enlightened Spirit? The Divine warlock PrC)
A cavalier/outrider or other mounted subclass option for fighter would be awesome
The inquisitor as a rogue or perhaps bard subclass option could be fun as well.

Seems like you'd want to split Outrider and Cavalier, with Cavalier (which evokes armor and standing and fighting) as a fighter subclass and Outrider (a scouty, mobile survivalist sort of name) as a ranger subclass. Except rangers don't get animal companions by default, because IDEK, someone at WotC is smoking some bad grass or something...

Blue_C.
2015-03-11, 03:32 PM
Personally, I'd really like to see Urban Soul, because its such a fun concept.
Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of Races of Destiny, so I'm kind of lost as to how to proceed.

I'm also struggling with whether to make it a Druid or a Ranger subclass. (I'm leaning towards Ranger)

I think a cleric domain might also cover it. Looking over the prestige class, a lot of what it adds are spell-like abilities, that can easily be made just domain spells. The rest are self buffs of one sort or anther, which are again appropriate for a domain. A cleric would also suit the fluff of the class, that Urban Souls are the favored of Urbanus and answerable only to him.

All that said, I can see it as a ranger subclass as well. I'm less sold on Druid, as their wildshape abilities are kind of at odds with the fluff. The PrC entry says it would be easy for Rogues, Bards, and Wizards to qualify (though Wizards would likely not be interested), so taking a look at them might not be amiss.

I'm still learning 5E system, but I might try to bang out a cleric domain. I admit the idea intrigues me both as a homebrew option and as a player.

Wartex1
2015-04-12, 11:53 AM
I posted a Druid subclass based off of the Walker in the Wastes, but had to change quite a few things due to lack of proper environment rules.