PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of house ruling Sneak Attack, need some input

Wolfsraine
2015-01-30, 01:41 PM
In my eyes, sneak attack is the rogue's defining ability when it comes to combat. It being limited to once per turn bugs me so much that I've decided to allow rogues in my games to gain sneak attack multiple times per turn.

With my proposed house rule rogues would be able to sneak attack any number of times per turn with a certain stipulation of course. I.E. if a rogue has multiple attacks and his first attack drops his opponent to 0 health, he can deal sneak attack damage with his next attack granted that he can reach the next enemy etc. If he's got movement left or if they're within reach.

For example:

Rogue stealthing around an allegedly abandoned keep in search of secret room rumored to hold the hoard of treasure the previous owner had in their possession. When the rogue turns the corner and see's three kobolds! Two sitting near a fire and one diddling around in some box off to the side. Rogue sneaks up to the box kobold and sneak attacks, dead. Before the other two even realize what's happened the rogue tosses a dagger at the nearest one (this attack would get sneak attack damage as well) and maims him badly. Etc etc.

Pardon my terrible writing, but thats the gist of it! What do you guys think? Too strong? Ok? Other suggestions?

Alucard2099
2015-01-30, 01:45 PM
In my eyes, sneak attack is the rogue's defining ability when it comes to combat. It being limited to once per turn bugs me so much that I've decided to allow rogues in my games to gain sneak attack multiple times per turn.

With my proposed house rule rogues would be able to sneak attack any number of times per turn with a certain stipulation of course. I.E. if a rogue has multiple attacks and his first attack drops his opponent to 0 health, he can deal sneak attack damage with his next attack granted that he can reach the next enemy etc. If he's got movement left or if they're within reach.

For example:

Rogue stealthing around an allegedly abandoned keep in search of secret room rumored to hold the hoard of treasure the previous owner had in their possession. When the rogue turns the corner and see's three kobolds! Two sitting near a fire and one diddling around in some box off to the side. Rogue sneaks up to the box kobold and sneak attacks, dead. Before the other two even realize what's happened the rogue tosses a dagger at the nearest one (this attack would get sneak attack damage as well) and maims him badly. Etc etc.

Pardon my terrible writing, but thats the gist of it! What do you guys think? Too strong? Ok? Other suggestions?

It really doesn't need to be more... this just breaks the Rogue and makes them WAY to OP.

hymer
2015-01-30, 01:46 PM
I think my suggestion, in so far as using it against more than one enemy, would be to let the rogues hold back some of their sneak attack dice from attacks, allowing them to use them on subsequent attacks in that round if they wanted to. Less tears from the other melee, I should think.

RedMage125
2015-01-30, 03:15 PM
Once per turn is not once per round, keep in mind.

That scenario could go as this:

Rogue gets surprise, so he gets an entire round with which to act before the kobolds do. Also, his initiative should hopefully be higher than that of a kobold, but dice are not always so kind.

Surprise round: Kills box kobold (sneak attack), moves to next kobold
Round 1: Rogue wins initiative, kills second kobold (sneak attack)
Kobold's Turn, Round 1: Remaining kobold attempts to flee, provoking an AoO. Killed by Rogue (if the Rogue meets the requirements for Sneak attack, he may do so again.

Or, your rogue could invest in either 2 weapon fighting or Crossbow Expert and a Hand Crossbow.

Surprise round, kill kobold #1, Cunning Action to Hide after moving.
Round 1: Move in and kill one kobold (don't use sneak attack, since you get your DEX mod to the damage, you'll need it for the offhand attack). Use Bonus Action for offhand weapon and kill kobold (use sneak attack dice now).

But I agree with Alucard, removing the restriction makes Rogues WAY too OP. As it is, a Battlemaster Fighter can use Commander's Strike to give the Rogue a second SA in a round, or any other effect that lets a Rogue attack as a Reaction can give a second SA.

Mellack
2015-01-30, 03:18 PM
Are you saying if a rogue uses two weapons he could get double SA? For example, Sneaks McSneaky is behind the ogre with his fighter friend Biff in front. He attacks with the short sword in his right hand and hits, getting to do sneak attack damage. Then he swings and hits with his left hand sword. He gets sneak attack again? You have just about doubled the rogues damage output, and made TWF even more powerful. If he is multiclass can he get it to all his extra attacks? That would let a Fgt11/R9 with TWF have 4 attacks a round with +5d6 to each one.

comk59
2015-01-30, 03:44 PM
That would let a Fgt11/R9 with TWF have 4 attacks a round with +5d6 to each one.

I sense a great breaking in the balance, as if a million city guards cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Wolfsraine
2015-01-30, 10:04 PM
Are you saying if a rogue uses two weapons he could get double SA? For example, Sneaks McSneaky is behind the ogre with his fighter friend Biff in front. He attacks with the short sword in his right hand and hits, getting to do sneak attack damage. Then he swings and hits with his left hand sword. He gets sneak attack again? You have just about doubled the rogues damage output, and made TWF even more powerful. If he is multiclass can he get it to all his extra attacks? That would let a Fgt11/R9 with TWF have 4 attacks a round with +5d6 to each one.

I apologize if I didn't make it clear in my first post. In your example the rogue swings with his main weapon, hits and gets sneak attack damage. The ogre is still alive however, so his second attack would not add sneak attack damage. If the ogre were to be killed by the first attack, and the rogue had movement left, or a creature within reach of his 2nd attack, he would get sneak attack damage.

Basically you can sneak attack more than 1 target per turn. But each target only once per turn. If that makes sense.