PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Celestial Warlock Patron

Submortimer
2015-01-30, 01:50 PM
There are those that reach the divine through supplication, prayer, and study.

There are those that reach the divine through zeal and self righteousness.

There are those that reach the divine though nature and her myriad wonders... And then there's these guys.

The Celestial Warlock

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs37/i/2008/274/2/d/Avenging_Angel_by_Prasa.jpg

The celestial warlock is much like his brethren, though he is loathe to admit it: He was either born with some undeniable link to power, yet cared little for the traditional trappings of wizardry or sorcery; or reached out to one of the many Sub-divine or Near-divine celestial beings for power and aid. Though he is not a cleric, this favored soul wields mighty spells in the fight against true evil. Though he is not a paladin, he brings considerable might to bear against his foes.

- Chain Warlocks gain the ability to call a lantern archon as a familliar, and will always call a good-aligned creature regardless
- Tome warlocks summon a shining, gilded tome, bound in mithral or gold plates
- Blade Warlocks summon a gleaming blade, golden or silver in hue, that seems to shine with an internal light.

Celestial Warlock Bonus Spell list

Warlock Level
Spells

1st
Bless, Guiding Bolt

3rd
Prayer of Healing, Scorching Ray

5th
Spirit Guardians, Haste

7th
Guardian of Faith, Banishment

9th
Destructive Wave, Hallow

Armor of the divine
At first level, the Celestial warlock gains Proficiency with Medium armor and shields. Additionally, You gain the Defensive Fighting style, giving you a +1 Ac when Wearing armor or using the Armor of Shadows invocation.

Light of the Divine
At 6th level, the Celestial warlock may change the Damage type of spell he can cast. Choose one spell you know that can deal damage; Until you complete a long rest, this spell deals Radiant damage instead of its normal damage type. After completing a Short or long rest, you may chose a different spell for this ability. As well, any spells you cast that deal radiant damage deal bonus damage equal to your charisma modifier. This does not stack with the bonus damage from Agonizing Blast.

Mantle of the Divine
At 10th level, After finishing a short or Long rest, pick a damage type. You gain resistance to that damage type. This damage type can't be changed until after you finish a short or long rest. Magic and Silver Weapons bypass this resistance.

Divine Intervention
At 14th level, you may summon a divine entity to your aid. You can cast Conjure Celestial as a 7th level spell without any components and without using a spell slot. You must finish a long rest before you can do this again.

So, this is my attempt at the "Holy" warlock that's been seen before. Essentially, for all that the Fiend pact is to the Tiefling, I wanted to make the Celestial Pact to the Aasimar: Better AC, no bonus hit points; Bonus damage instead of a reroll; the exact same resistance ability; and summoning an angel instead of sending them to hell. it is reccommended to reflavor the invocations to fit the concept, Specifically trading out anything that deals Necrotic damage to deal radiant damage; note that this would not add any bonus to agonizing blast, as the +Cha bonus specifically does not stack with that, and it doesn't allow double stacking Cha bonus on lifedrinker, since it only applies to spells.

Edit: Replaced original with the new, revamped version.

Wartex1
2015-01-30, 03:07 PM
Isn't that pretty much a Cleric/Favoured Soul?

Submortimer
2015-01-30, 03:20 PM
Clerics are specifically tied to a deity, which this guy is not. That being said, yes, this was inspired by the Favored Soul.

Myzz
2015-03-10, 09:51 AM
I did a side by side Comparison of Fiend vs (this) Celestial here: Excel Side by Side Comp on Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-tNmaTas0Z7M1lvR2hhbHJrUWM&authuser=0)

All in All I like this version of Celestial Warlock, but I do find that it is a bit better than the other Pacts, most notably the Fiend (its counterpart).

L1 Divine Armor better than Dark One's Luck (DOL), avoiding hits better than taking them (UNLESS you want to temp HP tank, AND your DM lets you stack Armor of Agathys with DOL at which point DOL + AoA better... (btw I am one such DM that lets all Temp HP stack). <note DOL should stack with itself, has no limit, and no time limit>

L6 Fiend gets a Non-Combat oriented ability here, where the Celestial gets another Combat ability... Best move might be to have Celestial receive Divine Guidance instead (use Dark One's Luck with fluff change).

L10 Nearly same as Fiend, except that Silvered AND Magic weapons bypass resistance vice just Magic... I'd have it work identical to Fiend version.

L14 Divine Intervention has WAY more use then Hurl Through Hell. Maybe change to Bathe in Holy Radiance... give exactly same ability as Hurl Through Hell, except refluff to make them disappear in column of holy light (unattackable until the of your next turn).

I think ALL but the L1 Fiend abilities can be refluffed to a Celestial nature, and probably should be. I like the L1 ability but do recognize that giving the warlock Medium Armor AND Defensive Fighting might be a tad too powerful. I feel like this probably should be an either or... AND I would lean to Medium Armor... Perhaps even specifying BreastPlate (or Half Plate) armor(s) specifically... A warlock donning a bright shiny metal breastplate to emulate a solar warrior seems most fitting... Besides giving Celestial Armor prof, the only other counter to DOB would be to give Divine Blessing = Cha Mod + Warlock Level of Temp HP after each short or long rest (Celestial Starts with the HP, vice having to kill for them. At which point DOB, is far more powerful, since DOB should stack with itself, has no numerical limit, and has no time limit. Perhaps give Defensive Fighting style with this to compensate)

I bring up these suggestions, mostly since the DM I am recommending these to for me to play balked at the idea, thinking its too powerful. With my suggestions, its nearly identical to Fiend.

Submortimer
2015-03-10, 11:12 AM
I did a side by side Comparison of Fiend vs (this) Celestial here: Excel Side by Side Comp on Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-tNmaTas0Z7M1lvR2hhbHJrUWM&authuser=0)

All in All I like this version of Celestial Warlock, but I do find that it is a bit better than the other Pacts, most notably the Fiend (its counterpart).

L1 Divine Armor better than Dark One's Luck (DOL), avoiding hits better than taking them (UNLESS you want to temp HP tank, AND your DM lets you stack Armor of Agathys with DOL at which point DOL + AoA better... (btw I am one such DM that lets all Temp HP stack). <note DOL should stack with itself, has no limit, and no time limit>

L6 Fiend gets a Non-Combat oriented ability here, where the Celestial gets another Combat ability... Best move might be to have Celestial receive Divine Guidance instead (use Dark One's Luck with fluff change).

L10 Nearly same as Fiend, except that Silvered AND Magic weapons bypass resistance vice just Magic... I'd have it work identical to Fiend version.

L14 Divine Intervention has WAY more use then Hurl Through Hell. Maybe change to Bathe in Holy Radiance... give exactly same ability as Hurl Through Hell, except refluff to make them disappear in column of holy light (unattackable until the of your next turn).

I think ALL but the L1 Fiend abilities can be refluffed to a Celestial nature, and probably should be. I like the L1 ability but do recognize that giving the warlock Medium Armor AND Defensive Fighting might be a tad too powerful. I feel like this probably should be an either or... AND I would lean to Medium Armor... Perhaps even specifying BreastPlate (or Half Plate) armor(s) specifically... A warlock donning a bright shiny metal breastplate to emulate a solar warrior seems most fitting... Besides giving Celestial Armor prof, the only other counter to DOB would be to give Divine Blessing = Cha Mod + Warlock Level of Temp HP after each short or long rest (Celestial Starts with the HP, vice having to kill for them. At which point DOB, is far more powerful, since DOB should stack with itself, has no numerical limit, and has no time limit. Perhaps give Defensive Fighting style with this to compensate)

I bring up these suggestions, mostly since the DM I am recommending these to for me to play balked at the idea, thinking its too powerful. With my suggestions, its nearly identical to Fiend.

Thanks for the input! I'll say that I am currently running one of these in a game alongside a Tiefling Fiend Warlock (I'm playing an Assimar, We're a great pair) and i don't find that either of us really outdoes the other. That being said, we JUST hit 5th level. I am making the edit to the 10th level ability, since it's supposed to be mechanically identical to the Fiend's ability. The rest i'm keeping in here, mostly because I want it to be different enough from the fiend.

That being said, Edit as much as you like! take my ideas, run with them, see how they suit your game!