PDA

View Full Version : Touch Attacks vs DEX Saving Throws?

ThePrez1776
2015-01-30, 03:56 PM
Hello, I'm a first-time DM trying out the new 5e ruleset after playing a fair amount of 3.5, and I was wondering about the new spell list, specifically, former touch attacks becoming DEX Saving throws, such as with the Disintegrate spell. How have y'all seen this impact y'alls games and do you think it is a good change?

Slipperychicken
2015-01-30, 04:04 PM
I think it's good that they unified AC. Teaching people the difference between normal AC, Flat-Footed AC, and Touch AC was a big hassle in 3.5.

Madfellow
2015-01-30, 04:04 PM
It fits in with 5e's philosophy is simplifying the mechanics, and it works very well. Instead of keeping track of multiple AC values, you just have one AC score and your saving throws. It doesn't change much from a balance perspective, it just makes things easier.

Kane0
2015-01-30, 05:29 PM
Very much a good thing. Much more simple and straightforward now.

Vogonjeltz
2015-01-30, 08:03 PM
I think it's good that they unified AC. Teaching people the difference between normal AC, Flat-Footed AC, and Touch AC was a big hassle in 3.5.

Agreed, this was one of the best changes for easing comprehension of new players. AC is AC is AC now.

pwykersotz
2015-01-31, 04:21 PM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. This change is phenomenal. I'm tempted to port it back to my 3.5 games as well.

Inevitability
2015-01-31, 04:44 PM
I like it mechanics-wise. On top of that, it allows players to fluff Disintegrate as some sort of homing ray that will strike if not avoided by its target.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-01, 09:10 AM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. This change is phenomenal. I'm tempted to port it back to my 3.5 games as well.

My group did this back in the day, we even did it for things like the rogue sneak attack (pass half damage) when it would normally be triggered.

It worked out quite well.